Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Crimes and Trials > Cold Cases

Notices

Cold Cases Discuss all cold cases here and sleuth out some new information!

Old 01-12-2012, 03:32 PM
absit invidia

Question A closer look at the setting

This comes from the article Christine linked on the first page:
"
20 years ago, <snip> The murders ruined this northern Sierra mountain resort, a 3,205-foot- elevation enclave so popular people used to drive hundreds of miles just to eat at its log-walled lodge. In short order, appalled tourists began staying away in droves.
>snip

Twenty years ago, Keddie Resort was a placid getaway where you could rent one of 33 rustic cabins or a room in the hand-crafted, two-story lodge. The streams had great trout fishing, and pine-studded trails beckoned all around.
The Keddie Lodge restaurant was packed most every night with customers who came from as far as San Francisco to dine on barbecued bear ribs, sherry- basted racoon steaks -- all shot locally -- and fine wines.
"It was always a special, pretty place to go, a real draw," said Lawson.
END QUOTE

OK, here's my first set of questions: IF this lodge and resort restaurant serving exotic wild game and fine wines were so popular and people were renting the cabins, WHY was Glenna Sue living there with teenagers and possibly the toddlers?

Where I come from, a resort cabin would have gone for around $80 a night in the 80's. I would expect much higher rates in CA.
How did this woman have the money to live in a " resort cabin"? Did she work at the resort? Was she related to the owner?
Was the financial situation of the Lodge maybe not as rosy as this article says?

Since so much emphasis has been put on how the murders " ruined" the economy of not only the Lodge but the town of Keddie, I would like to know Glenna Sue's relationship to the crime scene first of all.

Thanks!
Maria
I am " Social Media" phobic BY CHOICE. I do not read personal blogs, I do not have, nor will I follow, any Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, MySpace accounts or any other like network. I do NOT Google or otherwise seek info regarding people related to victims. I do not STALK families of victims, so don't tell me to "Google" a blog or another site.
UNLESS A LINK IS POSTED, MY POSTS REFLECT MY OPINION ONLY.

Last edited by SeekingJana; 01-12-2012 at 03:46 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SeekingJana For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 04:23 PM
scrolling

Hi Maria,

That article is quite poorly researched, and gets several things really wrong.

Keddie resort was, once upon a time a really nice place, just as you say it sounds. But it hasn't been that way in a very long time, and wasn't in good shape for many years before Glenna (who normally went by her middle name, Sue) Sharp and her kids moved in. None of the kids were 'toddlers', by the way. The youngest (Greg, who was in the cabin but survived) was 5, the next oldest 10 (Ricky, who also was in the cabin but survived) then Tina (abducted from the CS, her body found 3 years later and 65 miles away), 12, Sheila (who survived, being at a sleepover next door), 14, with the oldest being 15 (Johnny, who was murdered).

From what I can tell, some British people owned the resort in the 70's, pretty much let it run into the ground and then sold it to Gary Mollath's family, who gave its management to Gary, paying him a hefty wage for doing.. well, nothing. He continued to let the place go, until several of the cabins were completely uninhabitable in 1981, by which time it was a home mostly for college kids, people on welfare (including several heavy drug users) because the cabins were so run-down and therefore cheap -- and home to several perfectly nice families, I should add, who loved the place. Run-down or not, they say it was still a lovely area to live in and have fond memories of the resort.

It was on lease to Doug and Jan Albin in '81, who had reopened the bar and looked to be attempting to improve the place, but shortly after the murders they moved away.

Sue was on welfare, being recently divorced with five kids to care for. She did work when she could, was attending classes to help her get a better job, and took care of her kids with her limited resources.

The murders didn't 'ruin' Keddie - that had been achieved for a long time already, no matter what the owner claims (and plenty of proof is to be had, of that). The crime did further dwindle the already tiny population, though, with several families (understandably) moving out right away.

An interesting aside: two people looked at as possible suspects in the case had family members murdered in the 70's, with enough similarities to the Keddie case to make the cops look at them as possibles.

One was -- Gary Mollath, whose college-age sister Lynnette was brutally murdered in the family home in '78 - not long before Gary was given Keddie to run. Lynnette was found naked but had not been raped, she had stab wounds and her throat was cut. Gary was a suspect in that crime, being the last person to see her alive and the person who found her a few hours later, but he had an alibi - he was with his uncle (who was some years later investigated over a money laundering racket for crooked Russian politicians) and they were out having lunch when Lynnette was murdered. Her murder remains unsolved.

The other was Steven Howard, a drug user with a criminal record, whose 15-year old sister Kathy was abducted from Quincy in 1973. She was found murdered a short time later near La Porte, in Yuba county, cause of death blunt force trauma (if I recall correctly). Kathy's murder also remains unsolved.

And oddly, another similarity is that all three murders got very little media attention at the time. The Keddie murders moreso than the others, but still, I'd have thought crimes of these magnitudes would have raised more of a fuss in the papers than they did. There's almost nothing on Lynnete, and only a handful of articles on Kathy (there were several women found murdered in Yuba county at the time, these crimes said by police to not be related to each other).

Last edited by Ausgirl; 01-12-2012 at 04:51 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ausgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 07:28 PM
absit invidia

Thank you

Perhaps the case is considered to be closed/ solved.. I have read the other site which is linked here. People are talking about a man named " Bo" in connection with Marty.

As for motive, the reason I asked about the condition of the Lodge and cabins in a roundabout way is that I was wondering if the owner might have had a hand in what happened. To create a very sensationalized crime site, to attract the more " avant garde" of CA and elsewhere..
Think about it-- The first " Friday the 13th" type slasher in the woods movies came out around 1979 and were very popular when the murders occurred.

It could have worked out that the resort would have been an extremely popular cult culture hangout.. but it didn't go that way.

It may well be that people were PAID by the owner/ management not to hear anything if the "morbid tourist attraction" has any validity. JMO.

Thank you so very much for clearing up that this was not a sterling place and that Sue wasn't doing anything illegal to stay there, if you KWIM.
I am " Social Media" phobic BY CHOICE. I do not read personal blogs, I do not have, nor will I follow, any Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, MySpace accounts or any other like network. I do NOT Google or otherwise seek info regarding people related to victims. I do not STALK families of victims, so don't tell me to "Google" a blog or another site.
UNLESS A LINK IS POSTED, MY POSTS REFLECT MY OPINION ONLY.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeekingJana For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 07:49 PM

I'm glad to read that Sheila and her siblings are slowly moving toward some kind of resolution. This case has bothered me very much since I read about it. I just always felt like it shouldn't have happened at all to them; that for some reason, they were the wrong victims. I'm not sure why I feel that way, but it's a sense of not only the injustice of their murders, but that their killers killed them for the wrong reasons.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boweneer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 02:20 AM
scrolling

Boweneer, I think you've hit the nail there, with putting words to how I feel about the case.

I found the site by sheer accident, read a little bit on the crime, and was struck profoundly with that exact feeling, which prompted me to do what little I could to help find answers.

A lot has happened this past few years, as far as unravelling things. But we're still miles from knowing the real motive and what actually happened and when. Also, who the third perp/accomplice was -- many are convinced there was a third, one still around to face prosecution, perhaps.

Cross fingers that this is the year we get some better clues to all that.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ausgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 02:48 AM

Where in the he double ll does this person live when your calling bear stakes and racoon ribs fine wine N dining .In canada we make bear skin rugs and hats outta racoons not supper lol ....
Old 01-13-2012, 03:27 AM
scrolling

CanManEh, maybe it was a 'drawcard' the Albins used to pull customers back into the restaurant -- wild game dishes, something really unusual. A lot of places did that here a while back, serving kangaroo and emu steaks, crocodile meat, all sorts of wildlife (I recall, in my wild youth, asking some poor waitress for 'platypus dip' -- platypuses are a highly endangered and protected species -- and laughing when she ran off to ask the chef).

Speaking of the Albins, etc, here's a link to some articles on Gary Mollath and the Albins' takeover of the resort (seems I had a few dates wrong, glad to have those cleared up):

http://keddiemurdersfilm.com/forum/v....php?f=1&t=756

The OP makes a good point about something being fishy with all that - we've discussed it at length before and it does seem kind of odd.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ausgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausgirl; Speaking of the Albins, etc, here's a link to some articles on Gary Mollath and the Albins' takeover of the resort (seems I had a few dates wrong, glad to have those cleared up):

[url
http://keddiemurdersfilm.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=756[/url]

The OP makes a good point about something being fishy with all that - we've discussed it at length before and it does seem kind of odd.
I get what your saying I was trying to be a little commical but i guess I didn't achieve that ..I to this day still see emu meat for sale and to be honest i have been on hunting trips where we brought back bear steaks and moose and deer never a racoon lol but hey u never know .The only thing well besides the emu that u can get around here anyway would have to be shark but I think its been banned now this was years back..
Old 01-13-2012, 07:28 PM
Done. Put a Fork in Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanManEh View Post
Where in the he double ll does this person live when your calling bear stakes and racoon ribs fine wine N dining .In canada we make bear skin rugs and hats outta racoons not supper lol ....
Snort! I've actually seen people surrounding a dead possum in the middle of the street, trying to decide if it was still fresh enough to take home for supper! I guess those same folks would appreciate a good bear steak or raccoon ribs, but you could replace the fine wine with Pabst Blue Ribbon, IMO.

I heard this case mentioned by one of our mods on one of the WS radio broadcasts and spent a good while studying what's out there in the way of evidence. I hate that the mother was accused of terrible things by some of the locals. According to the daughter, none of the accusations were true.

The history of the caretaker is interesting to say the least.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to my_tee_mouse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2012, 05:47 AM
scrolling

MTM, it was pretty terrible, the stuff the rumour mill came up with. Drugs, prostitution.. and no actual evidence for any of it - Sue used food stamps when she had to, kept her wallet highly organised, required her kids to do chores, took what jobs were available to her, and on her own with five children - three of them teens or near enough - kept her home very clean and organised. She made sure, with very little resources, to give all her children a nice Christmas. These are the facts I find about Sue and her life, when researching this case.

Sue was 36, very pretty and slim, single, and liked go on a date now and then. She was also new in town and quiet, kept to herself for the most part, so I can see how some local women might get catty and malicious. I also wonder how many of those comments came from local good ole boys who tried to chat her up and were sent packing.

Anyhow, here's another article on the Keddie resort, regarding its sale:

http://postimage.org/image/sz3xukc0z/

Which a bit confusing to me, because the Hogabaums and Albins are always referred to "lessees" of the property, not the owners. So were they selling the lease? It sounds more like the actual property, here.

In any case, you can see from the comments that Keddie resort was in an appalling state when these people took the lease in the late 70's.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ausgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2012, 05:40 PM

I hope this case is solved one day, but I am not holding my breath. That whole area seems scary, imho.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scriptgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2012, 12:51 PM

Hi Ausgirl, are there any recent updates to your investigation of this case? Its horrible what the family went through and I hope this case gets resolved soon.have there been any word from vidoucq yet?
The Following User Says Thank You to rosemary For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2012, 01:17 PM

Haven't seen Ausgirl around her in forever.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light

This case continues to haunt me and I only started reading about it a few months ago. I hope it is solved but I don't see that ever happening as it's been so long... the area scares me too as someone else mentioned.

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Former Member

Keddie Murders(California 1981)

I have been interested in this particular unsolved case because of the striking resemblance to one of the Zodiac crimes and several origianal Night Stalker crimes. The binding with cords,the stabbing,etc, it all seems weird,considering:
2 weeks earlier a ZODIAC letter(suspected as a forgery, but I suspect otherwise) was sent to and from Atlanta somewhere. That claimed resposiblity in other words, for some of the Atlanta child murders and signed Zodiac. Was this possiblly Zodiac throwing the cops for a loop, knowing 2 weeks later he would be in California where he could commit a crime that would rekindle the zodiac file?Was he visiting Atlanta? Did he return to California shortly after and commit this crime? Just a thought. I think it is a Zodiac letter, a few places in the letter make me suspicious. I don't think it was a forgery. Thats my opinion, though this particular letter of them all would be, in my mind, the only least likely of the letters to be his.
The Keddie, California unsolved murders though realy make me suspicios as being that a crime of the Zodiac by the crime description.
Note, the letter says he likes kids now and a 12 year old female victim was taken fron the Keddie site and discovered years later 29 miles away. Was it a reference to a new crime spree involvong children? As sneaky as he was, I think it was a letter designed to rekindle the fire, which he reignited 2 weeks later. Good possibility. I wonder if DNA recieved here was ever compared?

Last edited by TimeCop; 08-07-2012 at 10:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TimeCop For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2013, 08:55 PM

This case reminds me a little of the Friday the 13th film that was released in the previous year. Wonder if it gave someone an idea.

Stan Reid
Old 03-04-2013, 01:20 AM
scrolling

Oh hey, I had no idea people had been talking to me over here. Sorry!

There's a bajillion new development over at the keddiemurderfilm.com site since last year. I don't post on that site anymore.

Some good news is that the family of John Boubede has stepped up to help with information about him, which has been awesome.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ausgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2013, 08:48 AM

This film is nothing like Friday the 13th. Not at ALL.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:21 PM

I been reading on the keddiemurderfilm site for about a year now, reading everything over and over. Fascinating case.

I've posted just a bit there recently, but I find I have to really think about what I post and whether I'm opening myself up to attack for something totally unfounded. So, I think I'll go back into lurking for the most part. Not worth the hassle.

Still, I hear it's better than the "old" site.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diphi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2013, 05:58 PM

Hello everyone I just joined the forum today looking forward to communicating.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bugzmom For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2013, 06:43 PM

In takiing a look at the crime scene photo's they show a picture on folding knife coverd in blood one that doesn't lock to stay open . To me using a knife like that and seeing the massive amount of blood loss I would bet that there is the suspects DNA all over that crime scene I wonder if they ever tried to get DNA from the crime scene or do they still have the evidence around now ..
Old 04-05-2013, 07:20 PM

Actually it is a bent kitchen knife. Bent more than likely from force. I think it happened when the walls were being stabbed.

Last edited by Bugzmom; 04-05-2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-07-2013, 01:12 AM

Ok but even so its all to common now a day's that from a stabbing the perp will often cut them self in the process so if you went to stab something and it bent like that it would have for sure cut your hand or wrist ...
Old 04-07-2013, 10:01 AM

I agree completely. There was I my opinion, no real investigation in this case. There should be dna all over that cabin
Old 04-08-2013, 05:03 PM

Happy birthday Justin! Let us not forget he was both a survivor and a victim.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bugzmom For This Useful Post: