TX - Fertilizer plant explodes in West, Texas

According to initial reports, the blast shortly before 8 p.m. was at the West Fertilizer plant at 1471 Jerry Mashek Drive, about a half-mile east of Interstate 35.
The Texas Department of Public Safety confirmed there were multiple injuries.
An emergency dispatcher appealed for more more help. "I need anybody and everybody," she said.
At least 10 structures are on fire in the town, including a school which is next door to the plant.
An emergency triage center was set up at the high school football field, where personnel were waiting for nine medical helicopters at 9:05 p.m.
Rescue vehicles from North Texas agencies are racing to the scene on I-35.
The town's community hospital is about four blocks from the burning fertilizer plant.
A shock wave from the explosion may have been felt in parts of North Texas and mistaken for an earthquake.
http://www.wfaa.com/news/texas-news/powerful-exploson-rocks-town-north-of-waco-203508001.html

Sailor how from from Kaufmann Co is West Tx?

There are injuries and possible entrapments of people.

A triage area has been set up to treat injured.

One woman called News Channel 25 as she was on the interstate going through West, and the explosion blew her car from one lane into the next. Her vehicle was covered with blast material.

Buildings as far north as Hillsboro shook from the explosion and windows were blown out as far away as Abbott.
http://www.kxxv.com/story/22007902/explosioin

Do they know the cause of it?? Praying for all the people there :(

What's the wind like there? We've had steady 30mph winds all day here. I live near where Magnablend exploded too and we had an airplane something or other explode here in town too. Just thought about the wind as I still hear it outside.

Fertilizer Plant Explosion Near Waco (kristv.com)
---
Numerous injuries were reported and multiple ambulances were requested.

Several buildings were reported destroyed and a nearby nursing home was damaged.

There were reports that people were trapped in the nursing home and in an apartment building.

Scanner traffic indicated that some residents of both the nursing home and apartment building were severely injured.

Children are among the victims, according to reports from the scene.
---
A triage area was established at the intersection of Haven and North Reagan Streets, but it was later moved to Marable Street and Meadow Drive because of the potentially toxic smoke from the fire.

Six helicopters were en route to West and were landing at the baseball field on Tokio Road, south of town, said Gayle Scarbrough, Department of Public Safety Communications in Waco.
---
West Middle School was one of the buildings reported to be on fire.
---
A woman who was passing through West on Interstate 35 at the time of the explosion said she and her boyfriend saw a fireball 100-feet wide shoot into the air.
---

Several firefighters were injured among the explosion at the West Fertilizer plant shortly before 8 p.m., according to the Waco Tribune-Herald.

"The fertilizer plant down here exploded, said Jason Shelton, a clerk at the Czech Best Western Hotel in West. “It was a small fire and then water got sprayed the ammonia nitrate and it exploded just like the Oklahoma City bomb.
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/loca...eported-at-fertilizer-plant-in-west-texas.ece

Numerous injuries were reported and multiple ambulances were requested.

Several buildings were reported destroyed and a nearby nursing home was damaged.

There were reports that people were trapped in the nursing home and in an apartment building.

Scanner traffic indicated that some residents of both the nursing home and apartment building were severely injured.

Children are among the victims, according to reports from the scene.

Two children were reported to be trapped on the second floor of the damaged apartment complex.

Department of Public Safety troopers transported some victims to hospitals in patrol cars, said Gayle Scarbrough at the DPS Communications Center in Waco.

A triage area was established at the intersection of Haven and North Reagan Streets, but it was later moved to Marable Street and Meadow Drive because of the potentially toxic smoke from the fire.

As many as a dozen helicopters were sent to the area and were landing at West High School stadium.

A number of buildings were reported to be burning, some in residential areas and evacuations were underway.

Authorities were going door-to-door checking residences in the area.

West Middle School was one of the buildings reported to be on fire.

Injured victims were being taken to area hospitals.
http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/...orted-At-West-Fertilizer-Plant-203505331.html

Wfaa is saying everything within 4 blocks is leveled. I think it's going to be more.

Gosh, this is just terrible! I can't imagine how strong the explosion was if people thought it was an earthquake. :what:

There has been another explosion/series of explosions in West Texas with reports of fatalities and possibly trapped people. A nursing home and an apartment building appear to have been damaged.

http://fox4kc.com/2013/04/17/explosion-injuries-reported-at-texas-fertilizer-plant/

I'm not finding a lot of information nor am I seeing in on CCN/Fox.

Anyone else finding anything?

Salem

PS - if this was an accident, we will move the thread to Up to the Minute.

does anyone know anything about the plant? (general info?)

The address is all I have seen so far.

Dispatch Demon ‏@DispatchDemon 44s
West Fertilizer Co. located at 1471 Jerry Mashek Drive, West, TX 76691

All I know is it was a fertilizer plant. Nitrogen is what was used at the Oklahoma bombing. And there was a fire there earlier today.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back