CA CA - Susan Jacobson, 59, Sun City/Roseville, 2 May 2013 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kjac22 - I'm so sorry to see there are still no real leads in your mother's case. Having been raised in Wheatland and having a father who taught in Lincoln (and still lives in Wheatland), I am very familiar with the area your mom disappeared from. I used to work at HP in Roseville and have been shopping in those stores many times in recent years. I have always felt safe in Wheatland, Lincoln and Roseville. I can't imagine someone going missing in those areas.

I am happy to help with any searches or general assistance you need. I know many people are still unaware of this case around me. When I talk to family and friends, they are shocked to hear about this. Maybe some store and door-to-door canvassing in the area will help. Perhaps putting up flyers in surrounding cities?

Below is a “for and against” for some of the more possible scenarios. They are in no particular order. Just to avoid confusion from the below – family and friends know to the extent possible that the husband was not involved; however I have included it on here because I understand it must be considered in this sort of exercise. For me, all the other scenarios are on the table. For the public I understand that all scenarios, including 1, are on the table. Some of the below may be injected with my biases – but I do believe that what the family knows of Susan and her behaviors, patterns, etc. is vital and in certain cases just as important as facts.

Anyhow – please add to – stuff is obviously missing here. Pardon the formatting.

(1) Husband is involved in disappearance
a. For:
i. Would have had time and privacy to do something without others knowing (lives alone with her).
ii. Husband was last known person to see and talk with her. Prior person to see and talk with her could have been up to a few days prior.​
[/INDENT]b. Against
i. Husband's character - individuals who know husband best - including family, friends, coworkers - contend that he would not be capable of injuring his wife. No past violent behavior noted.
ii. Motivation - no recent personal problems or conflicts noted by family, friends or neighbors. Married 35 years, and have a good relationship. They love each other and take care of one another.
iii. No evidence found by police or police scent dogs at or inside their house or cars – this would be the likeliest location of incident.
iv. Husband has checked out with normal patterns in the period leading up to her going missing - was at work at normal hours, was at gym at normal times. Verified by police. Nothing unusual from his pattern.
v. Open: Possible spotting of Susan on video at shopping center morning of disappearance (police are confirming on surveillance) - which would place her at shopping center the day she went missing, making it very unlikely the husband could have been involved, as he has been verified to be working out in the morning and then at work all day.​
(2) Susan planned and left on her own
a. For
i. Limited leads and she has not been found to date after searches of the local areas. No one known to have seen anything weird or strange at shopping center;
ii. Open: Possible spotting of Susan driving in shopping center on video (confirming) - in this scenario she would have driven her car there (most likely).​
b. Against
i. Her purse, wallet, and ID were found at shopping center; her wallet was missing credit cards and approximately $50-$100. There has been no credit card activity - meaning that she has very limited funds and no ID. No evidence of stashing money leading up to incident.
ii. No indications or discussion leading up to disappearance about her being unhappy or wanting to leave family. No unrecognized phone numbers on records; no emails to unrecognized people. Nothing found at the house unusual.
iii. She would have no place to go. No known friends or acquaintances that have been unaccounted for. Very limited number of friends (mostly family).
iv. Personality - very shy and private person who did not like change. New things would have made her very nervous. No prior incidences of her leaving unexpectedly.
v. No indications of abusive relationship - by family members, friends. Per their son, there was never any violence that he was aware of. Also, see husband's character above.
vi. Was excited and had been waiting for a grandchild for a number of years - grandchild due in early July.
vii. It is not believed she would have been savvy enough to hide indications of her departure leading up to going missing.​
(3) Susan became mentally confused or disoriented
a. For
i. She is older (but not that old) at 59.
ii. Her family has a history of dementia. Her mom had dementia in her 70s.​
b. Against
i. No past signs of such a state; especially to the degree that would cause her to go missing for this length of time.
ii. Searches in the surrounding areas have not found anything (other than her wallet at shopping center, and her car/purse at shopping center). Her car was found. She would not be able to walk too great a distance given that she had a hip replacement a few years ago. Typically walking distance for her was 1-2 miles.
iii. Dementia - Susan showed no signs previously of dementia, and family history has shown up at an older age (70s).
iv. Have checked some of the local homeless shelters and locations as they become known, to the extent possible, and have not had any luck.
v. Husband did not note any issues with Susan before he left in the morning - she appeared to be fine and normal.​
(4) Suicide
a. For
i. Could fit the profile - was very private and withdrawn at times to outside world and had a hard time interacting with new people.
ii. Possible sighting on video of her driving her car in shopping center (confirming). She would have had to drive the car there herself under this scenario.​
b. Against
i. No signs of depression leading up to incident.
ii. No talk or discussion out of the ordinary leading up to incident.
iii. Was excited and had been waiting for a grandchild for a number of years - grandchild due in early July.
iv. Known circumstances do not support this - given her personality, family speculates that if she were to hurt herself, it would be at her home while she was alone.
v. Searches in the surrounding areas have not found anything (other than her wallet at shopping center, and her car/purse at shopping center). She would not be able to walk too great a distance given that she had a hip replacement a few years ago. Typically walking distance for her was 1-2 miles.​
(5) Kidnapping/Abduction
a. For
i. Car was found unlocked. Purse was found in car. Wallet was found a short distance away heading out towards street missing cash and credit cards. Susan would not leave these items unattended.
ii. Possible sighting on video of her driving her car in shopping center (confirming). Places her at shopping center (but not direct evidence of kidnapping).​
b. Against
i. Roseville - Sun City area is in general a safe area.
ii. Shopping center has activity, even at 7am in the morning. Starbucks is in shopping center. No one has noted seeing anything or anyone strange, that we know of.​

I'm still stuck on why she would park where she did in the parking lot. If she were going to Raley's and it was so early, there had to be parking available close to the front door of Raley's. Why park so far away???

It would also mean the car was sitting out in the middle of nowhere and should have been more noticeable to passersby. I think it would have stuck out like a sore thumb. It's almost like it was parked out there to ensure it didn't end up on video from any of the nearby stores. kwim?

I'm still stuck on why she would park where she did in the parking lot. If she were going to Raley's and it was so early, there had to be parking available close to the front door of Raley's. Why park so far away???

It would also mean the car was sitting out in the middle of nowhere and should have been more noticeable to passersby. I think it would have stuck out like a sore thumb. It's almost like it was parked out there to ensure it didn't end up on video from any of the nearby stores. kwim?

Kjac mentioned that Susan likes to park away from other cars so she wouldn't get a ding in her car. And on that note, if she was wanting to run off, why would she even care if the car got a ding in it at that point.
I do see your point about not being on a video from where she was, although Kjac mentions that it is confirmed or is in the process of being confirmed that Susan did drive herself to the parking lot.
It is such a mystery.....

Just wanted to say that FWIW, my step-dad (in his 50's) ALWAYS parks his car in the "boondocks" of the lot in shopping centers and even at church because he doesn't want anyone to ding his car. And we are talking about an older model Honda Accord here, not some luxury car.

If Susan had that habit, then it doesn't seem extremely odd to me.

I park far away sometimes due to the fact that I need to exercise whenever possible (chronic arthritis, etc.) so I use those little walks from parking spots to stores, library, etc. as extra walking, at least in daylight.

Kjac thank you for providing such a thorough response to the possible scenarios. I am praying for you and holding out hope for a positive outcome.

Kjac... Thank you so much for the thorough, organized outline you presented above...

It was interesting to discover (for me, anyway) that your mother had a hip replacement surgery...

that gives me a better idea of the distances she would/could comfortably walk with dogs and on exercise trips...

My thoughts are with you and your family daily...

Kjac you asked to please add to what you wrote, as you said stuff is obviously missing here, in the for/against category.

Has Susan's husband taken a polygraph?

kjac, I continue to be amazed by your clear thinking in such a trying time.

For some reason the mention of the hip replacement got me to wondering if Susan had seen a doctor in the month or two before she disappeared. Do you think if she got some sort of terrible diagnosis she might leave in order to not be a burden? It's a long shot and even if true doesn't explain where she is.

p.s. I hope your wife is doing well in the final stretch.

Was she on any medication, for pain or anxiety? I am on pain meds and used to have to take meds for anxiety until I got used to the pain, lol. Wondering if the hip surgery left her in pain, or alternatively, if she parked far away as a rule to get in extra walking. If not. It is strange that her car would have been parked far from Raley's.

Kjac... Thank you so much for the thorough, organized outline you presented above...

It was interesting to discover (for me, anyway) that your mother had a hip replacement surgery...

that gives me a better idea of the distances she would/could comfortably walk with dogs and on exercise trips...

My thoughts are with you and your family daily...

Yes, I echo your thanks as well, it was a very good job you did on the outline you provided, Kjac, as it is a tremendous help.

I'm still thinking of and praying for Susan ever day, for her safe return. My thoughts go out to you and your dad as well, as I know this has to be so frustrating.

My daughter always parks her Lexus in the boonies too because she doesn't want dents. However, that early in the morning, she could have parked closer and been in and out before much of the other cars appeared.

Hopefully there is video tape of her driving the car into the lot, that is still being confirmed to my understanding. But if she parked so far away from the front of the store and the camera, we may never know for sure.

Below is a “for and against” for some of the more possible scenarios. They are in no particular order. Just to avoid confusion from the below – family and friends know to the extent possible that the husband was not involved; however I have included it on here because I understand it must be considered in this sort of exercise. For me, all the other scenarios are on the table. For the public I understand that all scenarios, including 1, are on the table. Some of the below may be injected with my biases – but I do believe that what the family knows of Susan and her behaviors, patterns, etc. is vital and in certain cases just as important as facts.

Anyhow – please add to – stuff is obviously missing here. Pardon the formatting.

(1) Husband is involved in disappearance
a. For:
i. Would have had time and privacy to do something without others knowing (lives alone with her).
ii. Husband was last known person to see and talk with her. Prior person to see and talk with her could have been up to a few days prior.​
[/INDENT]b. Against
i. Husband's character - individuals who know husband best - including family, friends, coworkers - contend that he would not be capable of injuring his wife. No past violent behavior noted.
ii. Motivation - no recent personal problems or conflicts noted by family, friends or neighbors. Married 35 years, and have a good relationship. They love each other and take care of one another.
iii. No evidence found by police or police scent dogs at or inside their house or cars – this would be the likeliest location of incident.
iv. Husband has checked out with normal patterns in the period leading up to her going missing - was at work at normal hours, was at gym at normal times. Verified by police. Nothing unusual from his pattern.
v. Open: Possible spotting of Susan on video at shopping center morning of disappearance (police are confirming on surveillance) - which would place her at shopping center the day she went missing, making it very unlikely the husband could have been involved, as he has been verified to be working out in the morning and then at work all day.​
(2) Susan planned and left on her own
a. For
i. Limited leads and she has not been found to date after searches of the local areas. No one known to have seen anything weird or strange at shopping center;
ii. Open: Possible spotting of Susan driving in shopping center on video (confirming) - in this scenario she would have driven her car there (most likely).​
b. Against
i. Her purse, wallet, and ID were found at shopping center; her wallet was missing credit cards and approximately $50-$100. There has been no credit card activity - meaning that she has very limited funds and no ID. No evidence of stashing money leading up to incident.
ii. No indications or discussion leading up to disappearance about her being unhappy or wanting to leave family. No unrecognized phone numbers on records; no emails to unrecognized people. Nothing found at the house unusual.
iii. She would have no place to go. No known friends or acquaintances that have been unaccounted for. Very limited number of friends (mostly family).
iv. Personality - very shy and private person who did not like change. New things would have made her very nervous. No prior incidences of her leaving unexpectedly.
v. No indications of abusive relationship - by family members, friends. Per their son, there was never any violence that he was aware of. Also, see husband's character above.
vi. Was excited and had been waiting for a grandchild for a number of years - grandchild due in early July.
vii. It is not believed she would have been savvy enough to hide indications of her departure leading up to going missing.​
(3) Susan became mentally confused or disoriented
a. For
i. She is older (but not that old) at 59.
ii. Her family has a history of dementia. Her mom had dementia in her 70s.​
b. Against
i. No past signs of such a state; especially to the degree that would cause her to go missing for this length of time.
ii. Searches in the surrounding areas have not found anything (other than her wallet at shopping center, and her car/purse at shopping center). Her car was found. She would not be able to walk too great a distance given that she had a hip replacement a few years ago. Typically walking distance for her was 1-2 miles.
iii. Dementia - Susan showed no signs previously of dementia, and family history has shown up at an older age (70s).
iv. Have checked some of the local homeless shelters and locations as they become known, to the extent possible, and have not had any luck.
v. Husband did not note any issues with Susan before he left in the morning - she appeared to be fine and normal.​
(4) Suicide
a. For
i. Could fit the profile - was very private and withdrawn at times to outside world and had a hard time interacting with new people.
ii. Possible sighting on video of her driving her car in shopping center (confirming). She would have had to drive the car there herself under this scenario.​
b. Against
i. No signs of depression leading up to incident.
ii. No talk or discussion out of the ordinary leading up to incident.
iii. Was excited and had been waiting for a grandchild for a number of years - grandchild due in early July.
iv. Known circumstances do not support this - given her personality, family speculates that if she were to hurt herself, it would be at her home while she was alone.
v. Searches in the surrounding areas have not found anything (other than her wallet at shopping center, and her car/purse at shopping center). She would not be able to walk too great a distance given that she had a hip replacement a few years ago. Typically walking distance for her was 1-2 miles.​
(5) Kidnapping/Abduction
a. For
i. Car was found unlocked. Purse was found in car. Wallet was found a short distance away heading out towards street missing cash and credit cards. Susan would not leave these items unattended.
ii. Possible sighting on video of her driving her car in shopping center (confirming). Places her at shopping center (but not direct evidence of kidnapping).​
b. Against
i. Roseville - Sun City area is in general a safe area.
ii. Shopping center has activity, even at 7am in the morning. Starbucks is in shopping center. No one has noted seeing anything or anyone strange, that we know of.​

By far, the most incredible and in depth outline of a missing persons case I have seen on WS, beyond admirable it came from the victim's own family member. Thank you so much for taking the time to compile this comprehensive outline for members, I am reposting for our sleuthers. I have been following this case and my heart aches for Susan's family. :(

We do not know exactly where her car was parked in the shopping center. I'm not sure if initially someone indicated where she parked, but I did have the impression early on that she had parked near the middle of the lot. But when I followed up later, LE preferred not to give out this information, so I'm not 100% sure where the car was found in the shopping center. I would not be surprised (and I would even expect) that it was found near the middle (i.e. not right up front near the entrance) because she just typically preferred to park back a little ways to avoid people coming in and out, and also to avoid door dings, etc. I'm similar - I don't care about door dings but I do park back to avoid some of the activity at the front of the store (cars pulling in and out, people unloading, etc.) and I don't mind walking.

No polygraph - just hasn't come up. My understanding and talking to people is that many agencies don't use anymore since they aren't conclusive and a lot of issues have come up with their reliability.

Thanks all.

So if LE preferred not to give out information about the exact location of Susan's car in the parking lot, I'm assuming they are also hesitant to disclose any other findings from a forensic investigation of the car.

For instance, as a previous poster so astutely mentioned, what was the position of the driver's seat? Was its position consistent with it being last driven by a very petite person? How about fingerprints? If Susan was the last person to drive the car, shouldn't there be intact sets of her fingerprints/palm prints on the steering wheel, door handles, and parking brake? If for any reason, those areas have been wiped clean or are devoid of Susan's prints where they would be expected to be found, then something is amiss, isn't it?

I'm new here and signed up because of Susan. I am extremely troubled by her disappearance.

The reward is still in our minds. Right now we have put that money towards pursing other areas/advice, but if it continues to be unsuccessful, we are still considering the reward. We've had a couple individuals tell us that they don't think a reward will help a whole lot, but it is still something being considered.
I realize that the potential benefit of offering a reward is subject to debate. However, a moderate amount cash might be enough of an incentive to make some types of people provide information (or even implicate an acquaintance).

It would seem like it should not be extremely difficult to get pledges to fund a reward (of $5000 to $10000). Although some pledges may not be honored in the event that it is paid, it would seem like you could minimize risk by getting pledges for a higher amount than the actual reward.

Some potential pledgers/contributors who come to mind:
Roseville Chamber of Commerce, Kaiser Permanente, Sutter Roseville, Westfield Galeria, Roseville Press Tribune, Hewlett-Packard Roseville, Denio's Farmers Market, Sun City, Raley's, Thunder Valley Casino, WestPark, RCONA, Banks, Churches, Real Estate Agents, Service Clubs, individuals.

The act of solicting pledges and offering a reward will help keep visibility of the case in the public's mind. It would seem to help the exposure if a family member (husband, son, sister) could briefly address meetings of potential pledgers.

The bank or credit union in the Raley's Shopping Center could probably be encouraged to manage the account for any cash contributors.

To keep any flyers or announcements succinct, you could refer to detail on your Facebook page, and put additional terms, conditions, and details there.

You have probably seen similar information, and they are focused on missing children, but some of the same principles probably apply to adults. There are some differing opinions in these two sources.

I realize there are a number of competing demands for your time and resources. We are all still hoping for the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paladeer