IL - Alexus Smothers, 8, drowned, body hidden in crawlspace, 19 July 2011

BEST case scenario this mother covered up an accidental death or a murder committed by someone else... of her OWN daughter.

Worst case, as the child witnesses stated... she brutally murdered her OWN child in front of the other children.

But the goal is to reunite her with her surviving daughter in the next 12 months?
Her lack of progress is "not her fault" because she is incarcerated?
She is incarcerated for either covering up the death of or (more likely) murdering her older daughter!

What do you have to do to simply LOSE a child forever? I understand people's anger now about visitation now...

I'm so sorry Alexus...

alexuspink.jpg

Judge Tom Tedeschi said a daughter of Mary R. Zumwalt Jophlin should remain with her legal father for up to 12 months after hearing testimony in the permanency hearing case on Thursday.

--------------------

Rogers said everything is going well in the Pana household adding Mary Jophlin would participate in the plan by completing a mental health examination and parenting classes.
She said Jophlin had not been able to make progress due to her incarceration in the Franklin County Jail.

Rogers said she is monitoring Paul Jophlin and the child adding Paul is providing transportation to and from school.

She said Addus transports and supervises the visits to the county jail ever other week to allow the child to visit with her mother.

--------------------

State's attorney Evan Owens said the goal is to reunite mother and child within 12 months.
He said the mother has not made reasonable progress adding it is not her fault due to her incarceration.

----------------

Another permanency hearing has been set for Jan. 10 at 1:30 p.m.

http://www.dailyamericannews.com/article/20120810/NEWS/120819949/0/SEARCH

Mary R. Zumwalt Jophlin, 28, of West Frankfort listened in Franklin County court Thursday afternoon as motions were granted, allowing her attorney Terry M. Green additional time and an expert to be called.

------------------

On Thursday, Green said he had provided written discovery videos and a media file to his client after coordinating that with the jail superintendent adding he wanted to keep some of the information out of the record.

-------------------

Tedeschi said the information could only be opened by the court, state's attorney and Green. He said it would be sealed by the clerk and only opened with permission from the court.

The judge said he had received information from the Illinois State Police and would provide copies to Owens and Green.

-------------

A pre-trial status hearing was set for Sept. 14 at 1:30 p.m.

http://www.dailyamericannews.com/article/20120810/NEWS/120819948/0/SEARCH

Terry Green reports that he has been making progress but is still working on some matters as he continues his defense of Mary R. Zumwalt Jophlin, accused of murder in the death of her child.

During her Dec. 19 pre-trial conference date, Franklin County Second Judicial Circuit Court judge Tom Tedeschi said the court date was set to "see where we are on defense experts."

http://www.dailyamericannews.com/article/20121220/NEWS/121229983/1001/NEWS

Resident circuit court judge Tom Tedeschi said the motions were filed on April 12, including one to suppress statements from the defendant and a motion in limine, requesting the judge to exclude specific testimony.

--------------------

Tedeschi said he wants to hear arguments on the motion to suppress first as he set court dates of June 28 through July 1. He said additional dates would be set if necessary for hearings.

http://www.dailyamericannews.com/article/20130429/NEWS/130429143

When Tharp told her the man she accused was in jail at the time of the girl’s death, Zumwalt-Jophlin then said the killer was another man she knew. The second man, Tharp told her, was in rehab at the time.

Zumwalt-Jophlin then quietly asked if Smothers had a mark on her forehead.

“She fell, in the bathtub. She didn’t drown. I pulled her out and she was gasping for air. I panicked. I didn’t do anything to her but I didn’t call 911,” she said.

http://thesouthern.com/news/local/s...cle_e65215a0-e06f-11e2-be07-001a4bcf887a.html

If the Childrens Services REUNITE this socalled mother with her children I will SCREAAAAMMMMM. I am so sick of the negligence they portray. :stormingmad:

The sister you refer to you should not feel sorry for. She just had her 5th child and all 5 are in the custody of dcsf. She is also the first person Mary blamed in her video confessions! The things that were said in that interview they would have no way of knowing. They made some of it up for the attention. Trust me...I know this! This is still very hard for my family because people so easily judge when they don't know the truth. I will say my family fought and tried to get all her kids taken away but was not successful. We have to live with it everyday! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Just please refrain from judging unless you know the truth. Thank u for supporting Lexi!!

We will always defend Lexi. Thank you for your support! Any questions just ask:)

You are 100% correct!

No way this was spanking gone wrong.

This was horrific abuse that led to death!

I also agree with tlcox. This woman is a monster.

IMO this case has absolutely nothing to do with spanking.

I apologize. Im new to this and my comments were replies to other posts but apparently I did it wrong. Sorry for the confusion!

Lisa, I have followed Lexi's case very closely.
I believe you will see that the sympathy for that sister quite quickly declined.
It was mostly in the beginning that some felt a bit of sympathy for her. It passed.

I am extremely supportive of Lexi getting Justice.
If there is anything we can do to help with that, please let us know.

If there is anything that has been said here that is NOT correct, please clarify that for us!
I try very hard to always be accurate and double check the facts, but I can certainly miss something too.

Thank you for visiting here! :seeya:

Really, that is her argument??? :facepalm:
I would say that HER actions "crossed the line" when her daughter ended up dead. :twocents:

hnm6.jpg

Terry Green, Zumwalt-Jophlin’s attorney, said West Frankfort police went too far during the questioning by, among other things, physically approaching her and trying to “force” her to look at a photo of her dead child; raising their voices and being argumentative; pointing a pen at her and then tapping it on a table; and holding her in a small room between questioning.

The statements were made after “psychological pressures” were brought to bear on his client, Green said.

“The actions of police crossed the line,” he said, and statements given “were not of a free and voluntary nature.”

--------------------

He set a pre-trial conference for July 18.

http://thesouthern.com/news/local/d...cle_f0152aae-e2c8-11e2-82a3-0019bb2963f4.html

rt3n.jpg

Please, let this soon be over with....that momster harmed her little girl and no longer has the right to demand anything from anybody, and that includes mercy. I am so sick of reading about these atrocious parents who don't deserve children and never should be allowed near a child. She should be tagged and impounded like a rabid dog, this momster is a danger to another living child.

Thank you very much. My family and I appreciate the support even if it is from afar! Its honestly been so hard keeping up with what has been said by so many people who don't have a clue. I appreciate the fact that you portray what's really going on rather spread rumors like many. We did get to watch her video statements recently. It wasn't easy and personally I don't know if I can handle even going to the trial. I don't want to compromise the case in anyway by talking too much but I am entitled to my opinion and that is that she is a baby killer! I am putting all my faith in the system and praying she gets put away for life!!!

I also wanted to add that I love the pictures of lexi that have been added to comments:)

Sorry...one more thing. You can get information from the daily American, the west Frankfort news paper. The articles have been very detailed!

Thank you Lisa for letting us know which media outlet is doing the best job.

http://www.dailyamericannews.com/

As a photographer, it is VERY important to me that pictures be in the threads here.
I want people to know WHO we are talking about. I'm grateful there are good pictures of Lexi.
There are a couple kids here who have NO pictures at all, that very much bothers me.

I have had crimes victims in my family... so I understand rumors and all that.
You feel free to let us know if we are discussing something untrue. :seeya:

We got great news today! The judge denied the motion to surpress the video statements! They will be used in her trial. We also found out that the trial should begin by the end of the year. It was a good day for us:)

We got great news today! The judge denied the motion to surpress the video statements! They will be used in her trial. We also found out that the trial should begin by the end of the year. It was a good day for us:)

That's fantastic!

Please keep us posted with any and ALL updates:)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back