Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Crimes-Spotlight on Children

Notices

Crimes-Spotlight on Children Discussion related to crimes against children.

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 01:32 PM

I'm pretty sure it's not the high school KJ attends either - but it is the same area of the country.

I don't think any proms are actually hosted by high schools anymore - I know ours isn't. It's technically a private party, run by moms. But it's the school prom, with money raised during school activities and advertised through school communication venues, and tickets are sold at lunch on campus. Proms aren't held in the school gym anymore, but the whites only prom in these schools were in fact, the school prom. Although it's a private party ONLY students in the junior and senior class at our high school and their dates are allowed to purchase tickets.

For the two schools I heard this year that hosted their first-ever mixed prom, it's the school prom they're talking about - not something completely distanced from the school although technically not funded by the school.

I spent some time in Biloxi a couple summers ago (different State, I know, same area of the country though) and I couldn't believe the overt racism I saw. Overt. Like a snow cone shop openly refusing to sell snow cones to black children.
The Following User Says Thank You to JeannaT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2013, 07:08 PM
JUSTICE FOR JENNIFER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeannaT View Post
I'm pretty sure it's not the high school KJ attends either - but it is the same area of the country.

I don't think any proms are actually hosted by high schools anymore - I know ours isn't. It's technically a private party, run by moms. But it's the school prom, with money raised during school activities and advertised through school communication venues, and tickets are sold at lunch on campus. Proms aren't held in the school gym anymore, but the whites only prom in these schools were in fact, the school prom. Although it's a private party ONLY students in the junior and senior class at our high school and their dates are allowed to purchase tickets.

For the two schools I heard this year that hosted their first-ever mixed prom, it's the school prom they're talking about - not something completely distanced from the school although technically not funded by the school.

I spent some time in Biloxi a couple summers ago (different State, I know, same area of the country though) and I couldn't believe the overt racism I saw. Overt. Like a snow cone shop openly refusing to sell snow cones to black children.
BBM:

I live in this general area. Our prom is still held at the high school- hosted by the high school and the Junior Class in the gym- and is for Juniors & Seniors and their dates. I have been to Lowndes for numerous athletic events over the past 20 years; and it is races are almost equal in terms of population- 50/50.

That school is not in Lowndes County you are referring to, it is in tiny Houston County- and neither the white nor black prom is a school event. The mixed prom this year was. Of course there was fundraising- same as for all proms I or my kids have ever attended.

Comparing Biloxi to this part of GA , or GA as a whole, is comparing apples to cucumbers. There is much less racism here than what I have witnessed in Washington DC.

BTW: Atlanta is run by people of color. There are plenty of idiots in this country- the South does not have exclusive rights to have them as residents.

Last edited by momrids6; 05-18-2013 at 07:37 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to momrids6 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2013, 10:12 AM

Press conference from yesterday. held in Atlanta.

http://www.examiner.com/article/next...ess-conference

Article about what a coroner's inquest is - I think this would be REALLY helpful, and is open to the public:

http://www.co.adams.il.us/coroner/inquest.htm
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JeannaT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2013, 01:52 AM
JUSTICE FOR JENNIFER

Quote:
Press conference from yesterday. held in Atlanta.

http://www.examiner.com/article/next...ess-conference

Article about what a coroner's inquest is - I think this would be REALLY helpful, and is open to the public:

http://www.co.adams.il.us/coroner/inquest.htm
"The mysterious death of Kendrick Johnson ruled an accident due to positional asphyxia by the Lowndes County Sheriff's Office and endorsed by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation via released lab report findings on May 2 has been rejected by the family of the Lowndes County High School student from the very beginning."

BBM: GBI does not endorse any findings lightly. Their employees are some of the best in the country. This is absolutely ridiculous and a waste of money, imo. I believe they will never accept the truth, no matter what is done, and who endorses it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to momrids6 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2013, 11:01 AM

News from today. Apparently a paramedic's notes indicate that Kendrick's head and arms were outside the mat, and his feet and lower body was wrapped up inside the mat.

Honestly, this is getting to be like one of those bad daytime soap operas where people have these conversations without all the people present and none of it gets communicated correctly because people walk in and walk out of the room during the time they could have added to the understanding. PLEASE. Can these people just get together, all in one place, and go over what happened together?

According to the coach and several students, his feet were seen sticking up, he was upside down inside the mat, and they unrolled him as quickly as they could to try to help. The paramedics certainly wouldn't have been on the scene before that happened - so why is the paramedics observation useful?

http://www.walb.com/story/22409691/k...ises-questions
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JeannaT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
News from today. Apparently a paramedic's notes indicate that Kendrick's head and arms were outside the mat, and his feet and lower body was wrapped up inside the mat.

Honestly, this is getting to be like one of those bad daytime soap operas where people have these conversations without all the people present and none of it gets communicated correctly because people walk in and walk out of the room during the time they could have added to the understanding. PLEASE. Can these people just get together, all in one place, and go over what happened together?

According to the coach and several students, his feet were seen sticking up, he was upside down inside the mat, and they unrolled him as quickly as they could to try to help. The paramedics certainly wouldn't have been on the scene before that happened - so why is the paramedics observation useful?

http://www.walb.com/story/22409691/k...ises-questions
If that was so, why didn't some of the kids playing ball the night before, according to the video, see him then? He should have been able to call out to get attention or wave his arms around at least.

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.........Martin Luther King Jr.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 01:35 PM
What a Kerfuffle...

A CNN segment on this...

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bes...teen-death.cnn

I'm still finding this accident thing very hard to believe.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MsFacetious For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 01:39 PM

Horrible!
The Following User Says Thank You to margarita25 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader View Post
If that was so, why didn't some of the kids playing ball the night before, according to the video, see him then? He should have been able to call out to get attention or wave his arms around at least.
I think if it happened as an accident, he was dead within a few minutes. Positional axphysia, and being held upside down, doesn't take that long. I would just think the kids didn't see his feet, but by then it was too late anyway.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeannaT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFacetious View Post
A CNN segment on this...

The thing I learned from that video is what the mats look like - I had thought they were VERY heavy, but it looks like I could comfortably carry one. I really had thought they were those very thick gymnastics mats that you can barely drag across the room using all your might.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JeannaT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFacetious View Post
A CNN segment on this...

Thanks! So the DOJ is going to review the case and the former FBI agent interviewed said there are more questions than answers, and from his reading of the reports, the crime scene was compromised. The coroner stated the same in an interview but later did not want the interview shown.

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.........Martin Luther King Jr.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateB View Post
https://www.facebook.com/RipKendrickJohnson

His father tries to get himself in one of the mats in one of the pictures.
Wouldn't it matter how tightly the matts were rolled?

Also the "after" facial pic looks pretty bad but if the body was upside down and all of the blood and fluids drained into the head I would guess that could happen.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:46 PM

Looks like a second autopsy has been ordered
http://www.walb.com/story/22525078/c...-johnsons-body

From the article above
"On Thursday, attorney Chevene King announced at a news conference that the Patient Care Report from the responding paramedics shows Johnson's body was partially in a rolled up wrestling mat; but his torso, head, and arms were exposed.

King says that contradicts investigators claims that Johnson's body was found upside down stuck in the mat".
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to aurora_sky For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora_sky View Post
Looks like a second autopsy has been ordered
http://www.walb.com/story/22525078/c...-johnsons-body

From the article above
"On Thursday, attorney Chevene King announced at a news conference that the Patient Care Report from the responding paramedics shows Johnson's body was partially in a rolled up wrestling mat; but his torso, head, and arms were exposed.

King says that contradicts investigators claims that Johnson's body was found upside down stuck in the mat".
Actually, it doesn't contradict investigators claims.
Whoever found the body probably removed him from the mat before paramedics arrived. Which would explain why the paramedics described him as being partially rolled up.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:25 AM
Pyrrhonist

Quote:
The thing I learned from that video is what the mats look like - I had thought they were VERY heavy, but it looks like I could comfortably carry one. I really had thought they were those very thick gymnastics mats that you can barely drag across the room using all your might.
I don't think they are as light as they look, although not terribly heavy. The 1 1/2" thick is 141 lbs and the 2" thick is 169 lbs. Not easy to pick up by any means.

http://www.americanathletic.com/416-...Ref=Gymnastics
Old 06-08-2013, 01:43 AM
Pyrrhonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
Wouldn't it matter how tightly the matts were rolled?

Also the "after" facial pic looks pretty bad but if the body was upside down and all of the blood and fluids drained into the head I would guess that could happen.
It certainly would matter how tightly the mats were rolled. If they can get some pictures of the mats as they were at the time, it would tell them if some were rolled looser than others. My school used to keep the mats rolled up behind/under the stage (multi purpose room), and they were everything from perfectly tight to barely rolled at all. Ours were never stored on the end, though.

It is good that they are going to check again, though. Most of the contradictions make sense, because of course they would pull the body out to see if he was still alive, but a couple things are really off and I cannot tell if it is sloppy report writing or something actually was missed.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:58 PM
Cached

Good show on this case: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/dan-zup...d-beau-webster
Old 06-16-2013, 09:59 PM
Cached

Old 07-28-2013, 09:05 AM

Any updates?

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aurora_sky For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2013, 04:15 AM
JUSTICE FOR CAYLEE MARIE - STILL WAITING

Quote:
Johnson's body is now being autopsied for a second time. The family expects to have the results within two weeks.
Dated 6/30/13

http://www.wtxl.com/news/florida_new...9bb30f31a.html
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to LCoastMom For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2013, 01:35 PM

Haven't heard anything on this case. Should we assume that the second autopsy confirmed the first one? The Facebook page hasn't been updated since July 11.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Opinionated Southern Belle

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but I could see the following scenario happening:

Kendrick was in the gym for PE and took his shoes off for some reason. Maybe to change into sneakers. Another student decides to take one of his shoes and hide it by throwing it into the rolled up mat. This may have even been a friend just playing around. So he is looking for his other shoe and no one tells him because they think its funny. The bell rings and he goes on to his next class and just thinks its lost. Then at some point someone tells him they threw the shoe into the rolled up mat. So he goes back into the gym later to find the shoe and as he is reaching down to get it he falls in and maybe no one was there to hear him screaming for help.

Wonder if there are cameras in the gym. That would settle this.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiagirl View Post
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but I could see the following scenario happening:

Kendrick was in the gym for PE and took his shoes off for some reason. Maybe to change into sneakers. Another student decides to take one of his shoes and hide it by throwing it into the rolled up mat. This may have even been a friend just playing around. So he is looking for his other shoe and no one tells him because they think its funny. The bell rings and he goes on to his next class and just thinks its lost. Then at some point someone tells him they threw the shoe into the rolled up mat. So he goes back into the gym later to find the shoe and as he is reaching down to get it he falls in and maybe no one was there to hear him screaming for help.

Wonder if there are cameras in the gym. That would settle this.
Here is a link to a timeline where the sheriff and other LE discuss what the video at the gym shows. I think this was posted previously:

http://valdostadailytimes.com/local/...e-of-a-tragedy

Quote:
He comes down the hallway, and essentially he enters the gym. Hes following another kid, said Jones. The first kid comes in and goes to the left. Kendrick goes in and off to the right towards the corner where the mats are. You dont see anyone trailing him or someone hes having a dispute with, adding that allegations he had been in a confrontation that day or the day before were false.

Shortly after, other students could be observed entering the gym for class and you could see kids playing basketball later on another camera, according to Jones.

We can only assume that he had gone down into the mat by that time, said Prine.
More at link.....

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2013, 07:45 PM
JUSTICE FOR CAYLEE MARIE - STILL WAITING

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxm View Post
Haven't heard anything on this case. Should we assume that the second autopsy confirmed the first one? The Facebook page hasn't been updated since July 11.
Since the original date for the second autopsy was late June and the June 30th article said two weeks I suppose this is possible. I'm pretty sure if the second autopsy confirmed their suspicions we'd have heard about it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LCoastMom For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2013, 07:14 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/03/us/geo...html?hpt=hp_t2

"Georgia teen Kendrick Johnson's death was not accidental, family's autopsy finds"

Wasn't sure if this was posted..... 'blunt force trauma' sounds bad , as if Kendrick was placed into the mat after he'd died.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to LietKynes For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread