CA CA - East Area Rapist aka The Original Night Stalker 1976-86

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just gotta put this down here before I forget.

"How does a guy move around a middle class neighbourhood at night without somebody hearing or seeing him?"

"On a bike."

^ lines from some show I was watching and I got a 'ding-ding-ding' - Okay, so rapid fire thoughts for later investigation:

- In Visalia, he was a kid. He had a bike. Limited car access? Probably just a bike, hence all the hits in one street on one night. He stashes the bike in some bushes and bam-bam-bam, house after house, with the bike near enough to run to if he's spotted. May have lived in Visalia but he could have ridden there from another place nearby. I'm thinking he wasn't wholly local, as he'd get recognised riding around those streets. But there again, maybe he 'fit in' too much to be a suspect. Somebody would known about his peeping, though, is my bet. Maybe has a juvie record for it. Maybe people didn't make too much of it. But I know in my gut he was a serial peeper long before he ever set foot in anyone's house for criminal purposes.

- As EAR, he had a car. Probably moved out of home by then. But he's learned the bike is the quickest, quietest way around the streets. People eyeball a strange car - but they likely won't look twice a cyclist.

- As ONS, he's refined his techniques fully. This was him degenerating as a criminal. Thrill-dead, he escalated his crimes as his psyche devolved.

So what kind of vehicle fits a bike in it? Van, station wagon, hatchback are my first thoughts. Maybe a sedan trunk, if it's a smaller framed bike.

/endbabble

"How does a guy move around a middle class neighbourhood at night without somebody hearing or seeing him?"

"On a bike."

^ lines from some show I was watching and I got a 'ding-ding-ding' - Okay, so rapid fire thoughts for later investigation:

- In Visalia, he was a kid. He had a bike. Limited car access? Probably just a bike, hence all the hits in one street on one night. He stashes the bike in some bushes and bam-bam-bam, house after house, with the bike near enough to run to if he's spotted. May have lived in Visalia but he could have ridden there from another place nearby. I'm thinking he wasn't wholly local, as he'd get recognised riding around those streets. But there again, maybe he 'fit in' too much to be a suspect. Somebody would known about his peeping, though, is my bet. Maybe has a juvie record for it. Maybe people didn't make too much of it. But I know in my gut he was a serial peeper long before he ever set foot in anyone's house for criminal purposes.

- As EAR, he had a car. Probably moved out of home by then. But he's learned the bike is the quickest, quietest way around the streets. People eyeball a strange car - but they likely won't look twice a cyclist.

- As ONS, he's refined his techniques fully. This was him degenerating as a criminal. Thrill-dead, he escalated his crimes as his psyche devolved.

So what kind of vehicle fits a bike in it? Van, station wagon, hatchback are my first thoughts. Maybe a sedan trunk, if it's a smaller framed bike.

/endbabble

Its interesting that you say that because I always used to see Mark Wayne Rathbun (the Belmont Shore Rapist, why do so many criminals seem to have the middle name "Wayne"?) riding a bicycle for years before he was arrested in 2002 and never really thought about him one way or other (just tried to avoid hitting him with the car).

http://articles.latimes.com/2004/aug/11/local/me-belmont11
http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-201_162-528971.html

While their MOs and victim types were very different, probably a lot of people saw EAR-ONS on his bike and never gave it a second thought. Does anyone have any more information about the cyclist that ran into the Smiths' car in the weeks before their murders?

''While their MOs and victim types were very different, probably a lot of people saw EAR-ONS on his bike and never gave it a second thought. Does anyone have any more information about the cyclist that ran into the Smiths' car in the weeks before their murders?''

I vaguely remember that happening but don't know any more than that. That said, it would be a good way to get an address from the car driver.

I picked up the map last Wednesday at lunch. Had the locations by the end. Then spent 2 hours looking to see if it had been identified or not. Emailed the L.A. Mag, Santa Barbara Sheriff's Department and Contra Costa. They were all interested in seeing what I had come up with, one even stated what I thought I had come up with. Then once I sent them all copies, they never replied, acknowledged or thanked me for the effort. If you factor in the landscape and buildings as they looked 30 years ago I think it is a match. If they had bothered to reply, I would have identified the lower right corner, and even given them a perfect fitting suspect. There is a Florida Homicide Profile of the Original Night Stalker available on the wiki. I have a Marathon runner, sized 9 sneaker, they may want to take a look at:

Attachments

• evidencemap2.jpg
    evidencemap2.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 161
A little more on the newest clue from the Sacramento Bee:
http://www.sacbee.com/2013/09/21/5756377/investigators-explore-new-leads.html#mi_rss=Our Region

Kitzmann said he has contacted the developer, who he declined to name but said is still in business in the Sacramento area. “I’d like to find out who the subcontractors were and come up with a list of their employees,” he said.
Irvine police Lt. John Condon said some paint was found on a tool left at the scene of one of the Original Night Stalker homicides his department investigated. “We’re not sure how it arrived at the scene or the circumstances,” he said. “Over the years, there have been a lot of different theories.”
Traces of blue paint were found in three back-to-back East Area Rapist cases in Sacramento County in 1977. Clark described them as microscopic chips of blue architectural paint that likely came from someone who had been using a paint sprayer. In the late ’70s, he said, paint sprayers typically were used only by professional painters, leading investigators to focus on someone engaged in the building trades.

"On a bike."

/endbabble

If he was a painter he could have had a truck. I was also thinking that he could have also worked for himself and could have been in Contra Costa County and San Jose neighborhoods making bids at houses for work.

I had a compact car and used to fold down the back seat and put my bicycle through the trunk and had no trouble fitting it in. Also would take the front wheel off and get it in the back seat but it took time to fit it in.

From the Orange County Register about the new clue:
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/pool-525184-killer-stalker.html

Larry Pool, a retired Orange County detective who began working on the case in 1997, said investigators have chemically analyzed paint in the past as one of the many details in the case. Now an investigator for Broadcom, Pool continues to follow leads and work with authorities in his spare time.

“It’s one of those cases you want to see solved before you breathe your last,” he said.

A screwdriver with five types of paint on it was found near the 1981 Irvine crime scene, he said.

“It may be very relevant,” he said. “It may not be.”

At the time, Pool said, investigators questioned whether the paint-stained screwdriver could mean the killer worked in construction. The screwdriver could also have been stolen and simply used as a burglary tool, he said.

Article also mentions that the hand-drawn map may be of the Goleta strip mall where a Sacramento developer had a building permit, although it is not an exact match.

It could be but paint evidence didn't lead to the solution of the Jack the Stripper Case although it did enable police to find the building where the bodies were initially stored.

Gary Ridgway was a serial killer and a painter who was loose at the time but I assume his DNA has been checked.

I Dont know if they did check his DNA, seems a good idea though

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

It's Ausbabble time again, LOL. This guy is so in my head.. it helps get him out, so forgive me if I rehash anything already said.

Just returning to EAR/ONS's "script" - the words and behaviours he repeats, crime after crime, with a little variation but essentially the same things...

I honestly believe there's victims out there - probably early ones - who either know exactly who this man is but haven't connected him to the EAR/ONS crimes, or who got a real good look at him.

I believe (today, heh) that this "script" is all about re-living an early rape, perhaps his first -- in which he felt an incredible adrenaline rush that he attempts, time after time, to re-create as much as possible. So, in committing later crimes, he is also re-living the one that had the MOST impact on him. I think there's a "ground zero" rape, in which the most often repeated elements of the "script" first occurred.

I feel inclined to gather all known victim statements regarding this behaviour, in order to collect all the various elements of the script in one place.

People out there KNOW this guy. He probably wears a very 'harmless' mask, but I have no doubt at all that there WILL be people who have seen it slip, and glimpsed the monster underneath. He'll be one of those guys whose odd behaviours are glossed over, because he's generally regarded as 'harmless'... though some of those behaviours are true red flags.

I think he underplays his intelligence, so people underestimate him. This would make him feel powerful and superior.

He'll be that guy who's eventually caught, and about whom people who know him will have sudden clarity in hindsight.

.... there, mind purged. For the moment. ;)

A book has been written by one of the victims of the Golden State Killer AKA East Area Rapist. This very brave woman has given up her anonymity to tell her story 'Frozen in fear'
bookstore.iuniverse.com/Products/SKU-000731903/Frozen-in-Fear.aspx

Here's a link where folk have commented on it

http://earonsgsk.proboards.com/thread/1110/frozen-fear

I was able to locate more information about a sketch that some people thought may be related to EAR-ONS from the late 1970s in Orange County, CA. The more that I learn about the sketch, the less that I think it is related to EAR-ONS. This is from the Los Angeles Times October 29, 1979 --

oct291979sketch1.jpgoct291979sketch2.jpg

A later Los Angeles Times article from July 25, 1988 says this about the sketch --

At the height of the hysteria in 1979, Costa Mesa was covered with posters of the police composite sketch of the suspect. It was drawn from a description by (Marolyn) Carleton's son, who saw his mother's killer bolt from their apartment.

The killer was described as strongly built, 25 to 30 years old, about 5 feet 10 inches tall, with an olive complexion and pock marks on his cheeks.

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-07-25/local/me-4711_1_police-bulletins

I was able to locate more information about a sketch that some people thought may be related to EAR-ONS from the late 1970s in Orange County, CA. The more that I learn about the sketch, the less that I think it is related to EAR-ONS.

I agree. This guy looks nothing like the EAR/ONS sketches. He looks Latino to me somewhat like the other Night Stalker - hmm.

I see where Gerald Parker, a black man, has been convicted with DNA of these "bludgeon" murders.

I just watched the CCF episode about this case. Seriously terrifying. I have a question that is way out there and super unlikely. In the episode, one of the detectives was pretty sure that the EAR/ONS was in prison, even found a guy who looked like a really good suspect who refused to give his DNA. LE worked with state legislators and the brother of one of the victims to change state law so they could get this guy's DNA. But it ended up not being a match.

There was an episode on a crime drama, maybe one of the CSI shows, where a rapist is a chimera and has two sets of DNA. There have been real life paternity and maternity cases where they found one of the parents didn't match their kids until they realized that parent was a chimera and sperm/egg DNA didn't match their blood or saliva. One woman was in her 50s before discovering she was a chimera. And it seems to be most common in chimeras that the reproductive DNA doesn't match up.

I know it's really out there and incredibly unlikely to be the answer, especially because chimerism is so rare, but what if the suspect inmate who refused to give DNA was the EAR/ONS, and refused because he didn't know he had two sets of DNA and thought he would be caught? Just a crazy idea, but it just seems so hard to believe that this guy would stop without being caught or killed.

This case scares the crap out of me! I watched the A&E Cold Case Files episode and that recording he left on a victim's answering machine sent chills down my spine and I made sure that all the doors and windows in the house were locked.

With the lives he took, the pain and terror he inflicted and how he left communities in fear, I want this monster caught, and I don't care how old he is!

A beast like that isn't fit to walk the face of the earth.

I've followed this case for more than ten years and find it quite chilling and fascinating. Recently, an author has done an analysis of this case and has posted an essay/report of his findings on his website. I'm not sure about linking rules here, but if you Google 'quester files' and ear ons, you'll find it. He is an unusual writer/investigator and is interested in bigfoot and the Bermuda triangle, but it surprisingly analytical and diligent in his approach. He also has some interesting YouTube ear/ons vids under his name too. Btw. I'm not affiliated with him in any way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UCG