OH OH - Katelyn Markham, 22, Fairfield, 14 August 2011 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious if there's been any mention about her bank/credit accounts showing activity since she went missing?

Found this from August 17, 2011 - so only 3 days after she vanished:

snipped...Fairfield police have said there’s no evidence of foul play, and a reasonable explanation for her disappearance hasn’t been found. But while there’s no evidence a crime was committed, Lt. Kevin Haddix said all possibilities are being investigated.

He declined to comment on if Markham’s credit cards or bank account has seen any activity since her disappearance.

“The only thing I can tell you is that it’s something we monitor,” he said.

http://www.middletownjournal.com/ne...cal-woman-was-photo-sent-by-text-1231535.html

Looked for a more recent report - didn't see anything.

:waitasec:

Found this from August 17, 2011 - so only 3 days after she vanished:

snipped...Fairfield police have said there’s no evidence of foul play, and a reasonable explanation for her disappearance hasn’t been found. But while there’s no evidence a crime was committed, Lt. Kevin Haddix said all possibilities are being investigated.

He declined to comment on if Markham’s credit cards or bank account has seen any activity since her disappearance.

“The only thing I can tell you is that it’s something we monitor,” he said.

http://www.middletownjournal.com/ne...cal-woman-was-photo-sent-by-text-1231535.html

Looked for a more recent report - didn't see anything.

:waitasec:
Thanks!
Wonder why so LE is tight-lipped about her accounts showing activity since they are saying they are monitoring them. But since that statement was made shortly after she went missing, perhaps they don't want to reveal that she left on her own... but now after all this time, be interesting to here what they would say.

Would be nice if they would say something. You have locals who have searched tirelessly for her and LE doesnt seem to be doing anything to help the public find her. I dont get it.

They released the 911 recording, that makes JC, the boyfriend look very bad but they won't disclose details about the (probable) use of her debit/credit card?

as a person who uses "drugs"(smoke weed) and the fact that it has been put out there that km and jc had bought xtc off of ks and her boyfriend, and pot use is heavily involved in her circle of friends. knowing my self if my neighbor from across the street knocked on my door and said, hey man you wanna smoke this joint, sure id smoke it with him but i wouldnt want him in my house. id probally just walk outside with him to smoke and of course as anyone in america now adays you keep you cell phone on you all the time. and if my neighbor worked at the gas station not even half a mile up the street youd know the person maybe not on a personal level but youd know of them just like any of us who frequent the same store multiple times on a daily basis due to the close relevance. im sure if km smoked weed(and im assuming she did/does with all the circumstance and friends) she has bought blunts or papers or other marijuana paraphanilla that any store worker knows what its used for. i think its very possible she opened the door to a gas station worker who knocked on her door and she knew of only to be lured outside to smoke then vanish..... just my thoughts on the whole scenario with this guy being involved. i dont think daddy really knows his daughter like he thanks he does. and i mean no disrespect on that at all. just saying most parents dont know their kids full routine and actions when they dont live with them. and it seems like her speculated drug use would defently be hidden from dm. i think this guys a possiblity but without evidence or a first 48 type confession where they have nothing and the person snitches on them self you wont be able to connect him

Bumping for sweet, talented Katelyn...Where are you????

Dear God..Please Bring Katelyn Home To Those That Love Her

as a person who uses "drugs"(smoke weed) and the fact that it has been put out there that km and jc had bought xtc off of ks and her boyfriend, and pot use is heavily involved in her circle of friends. knowing my self if my neighbor from across the street knocked on my door and said, hey man you wanna smoke this joint, sure id smoke it with him but i wouldnt want him in my house. id probally just walk outside with him to smoke and of course as anyone in america now adays you keep you cell phone on you all the time. and if my neighbor worked at the gas station not even half a mile up the street youd know the person maybe not on a personal level but youd know of them just like any of us who frequent the same store multiple times on a daily basis due to the close relevance. im sure if km smoked weed(and im assuming she did/does with all the circumstance and friends) she has bought blunts or papers or other marijuana paraphanilla that any store worker knows what its used for. i think its very possible she opened the door to a gas station worker who knocked on her door and she knew of only to be lured outside to smoke then vanish..... just my thoughts on the whole scenario with this guy being involved. i dont think daddy really knows his daughter like he thanks he does. and i mean no disrespect on that at all. just saying most parents dont know their kids full routine and actions when they dont live with them. and it seems like her speculated drug use would defently be hidden from dm. i think this guys a possiblity but without evidence or a first 48 type confession where they have nothing and the person snitches on them self you wont be able to connect him

I wonder if she would have agreed to sit in his car, for instance, to smoke a joint, in your scenario. She might have left her door unlocked if she was just in the parking lot. And she would have been more or less trapped if he just took off with her.

I wonder if she would have agreed to sit in his car, for instance, to smoke a joint, in your scenario. She might have left her door unlocked if she was just in the parking lot. And she would have been more or less trapped if he just took off with her.

right im not saying this is the scenario that happened. just giving my point of view from a stoner. and i know not everyone is as open about there marijuana usage as i am. i wish we knew if dude had prior drug charges. anyone know if the new suspect (gas station clerk) has had any drug charges

Man looked at in missing woman case indicted in seperate incident
Man indicted in rape of woman in Oxford

Gurpreet Kang, who police have said could be connected to the disappearance of Katelyn Markham, has been indicted on one charge of sexual battery involving the assault of a woman in Oxford.

Kang lived and worked at a convenience store directly across from the home of Markham, who disappeared 11 months ago, leading police to investigate whether there was a connection. Police have not speculated recently on any possible connection.

Kang was wanted in connection with the rape of a Miami University student last year and found in Michigan last month after a national manhunt.

Read more: http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news.../15723584/-/9cfeu2/-/index.html#ixzz21kWLDqgI

I knew this guy lived in the same neighborhood but I didn't know he worked at a convenience store directly across the street from where Katelyn lived. I haven't been following the case regularly so I apologize if it was already discussed.

She could have walked to the convenience store that night and was abducted from there. That would explain the lack of any signs of a struggle in her apartment and why it seemed like she just left on her own.

JMO

This is where fingerprinting herdoor etc may have come in useful.

If she left on her own neither his fingerprints nor his DNA would be found anywhere near her apartment.

Her walking across the street to the convenience store would also explain why her car was still in the parking lot.

JMO

It is a shame if LE did not check the video of the convenience store back then, if it was really just across the street, to see if she went over there. Of course if he worked there, he probably would have erased the tape if he was involved.

It may be very difficult to figure out if he is involved with Katelyn's disappearance, without a confession, since they seem to have no crime scene, no signs of a struggle, and no Katelyn. How can they link him or exclude him I wonder.

But at least they can, I hope, trace his pings from that night, via cell records and see if his phone was moving around and where it went.

I guess he is not responsible for Katelyn's disappearance after all according to the Fairfield police.. Sounds like the guy is getting a bad rap from a women that he met at a party who was drunk and later might of decided to file assault charges against him after they wound up in bed together. The explanation of events regarding the sexual battery is all coming from his defense attorney so I take what he is saying with a grain of salt.. The more likely story is she passed out in a bedroom and he took advantage of the situation. JMO

Man indicted for sex crime cleared of connection to missing woman

The Fairfield police say newly indicted Gurpreet Kang’s connection to the Katelyn Markham disappearance was “tenuous at best” from the beginning and he is not a person of interest in their case.

Kang, 26, of Fairfield, was identified as a possible person of interest in the nearly year-old case of the missing Fairfield woman, after he was arrested in June and charged with sexual battery. A Butler County grand jury indicted him this week for the sex crime that allegedly occurred over a year ago. Fairfield Police Chief Mike Dickey said Kang is not a suspect in the Markham case.

“That thing was blown so far out of proportion,” he said. “Of course we’re going to take a look at somebody arrested like that, but he was pretty much eliminated right off the bat. He was tenuous at best.”

Police extradited Kang in Michigan in June after he was arrested on the sexual battery charge. His attorney Firooz Namei said his client’s case, and circumstances surrounding it, have been misconstrued and he is working to get the “excessive” $250,000 bond reduced to $5,000.

He said Kang was at a party in Oxford where he and the alleged victim “talked most of the night” and eventually wound up in bed together. Kang awoke at 3 a.m. and left to open his uncle’s gas station in Fairfield, which is near Markham’s apartment. Namei said police asked for a DNA sample and Kang complied. He said he never heard another peep about the Oxford incident until he was stopped at the border on his way to Canada for a “Kabaddi” sporting tournament. He said he thinks that’s why the bond was set so high.

http://www.oxfordpress.com/news/news/man-indicted-for-sex-crime-cleared-of-connection-t/nP5SY/

Well he is cleared and the only one that LE has openly said "not a suspect". As hard as I try to look at other possibilities it all keeps coming back to the last person that has publically been named to see her that night.

Sounds like the guy is getting a bad rap from a women that he met at a party who was drunk.... The more likely story is she passed out in a bedroom and he took advantage of the situation. JMO

I'm sure I agree with all of you about the fragility of a connection to Katelyn's case. But still I wanted to gently point out here as more than an aside that IF the gas store attendant had sexual contact with a woman passed out, that is not "taking advatage of the situation" (a euphemism); it is sexual assault. I'm sorry, Joe Friday, for taking your quote out of context and I know what you mean. I'm not especially drawing YOU into my critique here -- my point is more especially for readers who gloss the critical contexts and for whom "the more likely story" becomes somehow different than recognition of violation. The reason sexual violence against women continues to be so viciously pernicious in our culture is because the value of women's bodies and their rights to bodily integrity is so under siege in mainstream culture. I am NOT saying the attendant IS guilty of this or other crimes. I don't know what happened in that room that night any more than I know what happened to Katelyn. But I am saying that IF she was passed out or unable to give legal consent because of inebriation, that IS a sexual crime.

I know, JF, you weren't likely suggesting it wouldn't be. Again, I just wanted to make a point so that as readers we actively work against the normativizing structures in language that help produce the material conditions of violence.

Bumping for dear Katelyn.

Katelyn will be missing a year this weekend.
Unbelievable. It is always impossible to know which cases will be quickly solved, and which ones will linger. At first, I really thought she would turn up in a day or two. Now I wonder if she will be one of the forever missing.

Today mark's one year that Katelyn has been missing. My heart is heavy that we have not found her and that due to so much bickering and fighting among the local groups; (and God only knows why if we (the locals) all want the same thing, that such nastiness ever occurred) that today has come and as far as I am aware, there is nothing planned for her.

So, since I want to do something to honor Katelyn, I am going to post the rough draft of what I said at the vigil I MC'd for her back in January.

Tomorrow morning, I might just load up the dogs and go walk woods or a creek and search as my way of sending her love - where ever she is.

So Katelyn - For you, the words from my heart I wrote 6 months ago and still feel exactly the same today.

[FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]I met Katelyn Markham for the first time in the same way I met Paige Johnson, Natalee Holloway, Susan Cox Powell and Caylee Marie Anthony. On the Nancy Grace show. My heart sank that night to hear that our area had another missing young lady at the prime of her life.

Since that night, I have come to know her very well, but not well enough. Like many of you, I never had the honor of meeting her in real life, but I have grown fond of her and think about her everyday. I got to know her through her photos and art. I was captivated by how quirky and fun loving she was. WITH A HUGE SMILE on her face, unless she was busy trying to entertain the lens with a funny face. I got to know her as a self assured individual not afraid to wear a crazy scarf, or be a butterfly on a park bench, or proudly hug her papa.

I got to know her as an adventurous teen ready to go camping or play with her dog in the park. Her photos capture her love of animals, art, life and all those whom she encountered. Her pictures and art show me a girl who doesn't feel compelled to color in the lines. A gal not afraid to step outside the box and proudly giggle at the world, lighten up -- life is fun - so lets play! Her art inspires people not to conform, but to be comfortable just being who you were meant to be.

As I researched her, I found a girl who was devoted to those in her life and to pursuing her goals. I found a girl who worked - two jobs no less, but who found time to be there for her friends with a supportive or funny facebook post. I found a girl who was not afraid to tell a fellow artist she never met that their work was inspiring, creative or AWESOME. I found a girl who viewed the world from the positive perspective out and was not phoney or pretentious in her true enjoyment of everything and everyone around her.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]While Katelyn has been missing, she has touched the hearts of so many people and taught us all that a bad hair day is okay - heck, even funny. That life is fun and let your inner spirit shine. She has taught me to appreciate the simplest of things - whether it be the motion of a Christmas light or the lick of a dogs tongue; and most of all to enjoy it and not care who knows you do. Her pictures inspire people to live in the moment and enjoy being in your own skin.

A dear friend, and fellow missing person advocate, gave me this pelican that I wear today for the mothers of missing children. The fable of the pelican was that the mother pelican would piece her chest for the blood from her heart, to care for her young when food was not readily abundant. While pelicans do not actually do this, it has come to symbolize nurture-ance, sacrifice and charity. Representing selflessness and putting others before yourself - just as all of you here today do for Katelyn and Billy. Just as parents do for their children - so I wear this today in honor of that undying devotion of a parents love.

So, yes → Katelyn has spoken loud and clear, in her photos and art, about who she is, and that is evident in how many people everyday blog or post about where she could be. Every missing person deserves a voice. Right now, we are Katelyn's voice. We will not be silenced and we will speak for her as long as it takes so that she is not forgotten. She needs to come home and we will be her voice till she is home. She is one of us -- this is our community and the message is loud and clear -- one of ours will not be forgotten. We will not let her memory fade and certainly will continue to search and speak for her till she is home where she belongs.

[/FONT]

butterflylooks.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members