The state Rests in The State v. Jodi Arias: break in trial until 28 January 2013 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how the order changes anything. She killed him in cold blood. She premeditated this murder. It matters not if the shot was first, second or last. It was overkill, period. The defensive wounds show that he was alive when he was being stabbed. First degree murder.

MOO

I agree with you. The sole basis for the defense wanting to say the shot came first is to say....see, he did not suffer. However, IF by some miracle the gunshot, if first, did not render him unconscious, he was aware, and able to stagger or fall out of the shower( the way I get the layout is that the sinks are directly across from the shower, so you could literally fall out of the shower and hit the sink). He may have significantly lost coordination but was somehow able to attempt to crawl down the hallway, which is not as long as it seems.....just steps really. In ANY scenario, it was still cruel, heinous and depraved. She killed him three times over and he was alive and aware for most of it.

That makes so much sense. Do you believe she went there with the "two ninja" story already running around in her mind? If so, that's even more reason to believe this was premeditated. She had a whole made up story ready before the murder. No wonder she had no problem concocting the Ninja story on the fly in the second interrogation. :what:

From what we know about the days leading up to the murder we know this was planned at the very least when that gun was stolen from her grandparents.

None of Travis' knives were missing so she went there with two modes of attack.

She turned off her cell phone, dyed her hair, rented a car to avoid detection, had her date with Ryan planned.

She did a lot of planning. Because of that I am going to go with she thought about the two attacker story prior to being interviewed by Flores.

She first denied being at the house until she was busted. Then the ninja story followed.

LE-Well I can tell you that we're investigating it as a homicide...

JA-Okay

LE-And not as a suspicious death anymore, It's pretty obvious, and, it's important for us to find out why somebody would want to do harm to him...

JA-Exactly

LE-What kind of stuff he was possibly involved in, or maybe it could have been something as simple as a burglary, intruder, or something that had gone wrong.

JA-I was wondering because he's so...when you said, like they said suspicious death I thought well he's trying to shed pounds for Cancun so he looks good in his boxers, or bathing suit or whatever swimtrunks, and um, and I know that, I thought he takes supplements and works out really, really hard, I've seen him work out, and it's a very intense routine and he has these heavy dumbbells that he uses and he's so strong, I mean, there's a couple times we tried to wrestle just for fun--show me some moves--and there's...I don't see how anyone, unless maybe there were TWO PEOPLE, I don't see how anyone could overpower him.

LE--Yeah, he was a pretty good sized guy.

JA--Close to 200 pounds I think.

LE--Yeah, yeah, it would take, I'd say two people maybe more to over power him.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qdiZADvLaEY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/URL]

start at 31-12

I was just thinking the same thing! Did it not occur to them that she might try to flee in the middle of the night?!!!!

They may have had surveillance cameras set up on her?? I am not sure what is around her grandparents home.

On the most recent 48 Hours JA episode, she mentioned that she had spoken to TA while in LA and he asked her to stop by on the way to Utah. Did that phone call ever happen or did JA show up unannounced ?

Nurse, thank you for posting this video. The following are the key dates/times that are in the video. I find it helps to have it in black and white in front of your face instead of needing to watch a video repeatedly to look at/remember the information.

July 14, 2008

- Mesa detectives flew to Yreka, CA to arrest Jodi Arias for 1st degree murder.

9 PM - Detectives arrive at the home of Arias's grandparents. Visual surveillance showed Arias was packing clothes as if she was leaving.

9:45 PM - Arias was inside a vehicle, parked in front of the residence talking with someone who appeared to be her mother. Arias's mother later drove away, Arias then went back into her grandparents' home.

Midnight - Officers left the home to return in the early morning hours. Decision made to arrest Arias if she attempted to flee.

July 15, 2008

6:30 AM - Surveillance team set up at grandparents' home. Shortly after, a Chevy Cobalt parked in front of the home.

9:39 AM - Arias taken into custody.

9:40 AM - Search warrent of grandparents' home excecuted. Evidence indicated that Arias had purchased a High Point 9mm.

1:15 PM - Search warrent executed at the home of Arias's parents. Box of .25 caliber ammunition was found during search. .25 caliber ammo was not found at grandparents' home.

2:25 PM - Search warrent on the Chevy Cobalt executed. Arias's luggage and personal effects had been placed inside the vehicle. A box of 9 mm ammunition was found inside a suitcase containing Arias's clothing. No firearm was found. Two knives found inside boxes of books in the car.

August 2008

- Arias's mother asked about a High Point 9mm that Arias had hidden in a vehicle.

- A Hertz employee recovers a 9mm gun while servicing the vehicle in San Francisco, CA. It was the vehicle that Arias had rented in Yreka, CA. Police determined the weapon was purchsed after Travis Alexander was killed.

Hi, TorisMom003. Thanks so much for the timeline. One wonders, of course, where Jodi had planned to go. The .25 caliber ammunition at her parents' house is telling because they owned no such gun as far as we know. And packing knives inside boxes of books also seems suspicious to me.

...and like many of Jodi's other strategies, "hiding" a gun in a rental vehicle seems like a move destined to fail.

It's interesting that Arias' mom seems to have been forthcoming at this stage of the investigation.

I don't see how the order changes anything. She killed him in cold blood. She premeditated this murder. It matters not if the shot was first, second or last. It was overkill, period. The defensive wounds show that he was alive when he was being stabbed. First degree murder.

MOO

I totally agree with you. You think about it she killed him 3 times. Then threw in the added little extras. Any way you look at it it was heinous overkill. She could have walked away at anytime with any one of the big 3 injuries and he would have died. What does it matter at all which one was first. Nobody will ever know the truth of what happened that day. What set the psycho off. I just find it sad she did not use the gun on herself.

Regardless of what happened with them with the "deviant" sex between two consenting adults Travis did not deserve any of her revenge on him. She was the sexual predator not him. She proved that with Ryan the next day. It seems like she was all set to deflower all the Mormon virgins she came across.

Just because their sex life was not acceptable to some of us she was a willing partner just as he was. If he was truly a virgin he got a hold of something with her he had no idea of how to handle.

JA-Okay

LE-And not as a suspicious death anymore, It's pretty obvious, and, it's important for us to find out why somebody would want to do harm to him...

JA-Exactly

LE-What kind of stuff he was possibly involved in, or maybe it could have been something as simple as a burglary, intruder, or something that had gone wrong.

JA-I was wondering because he's so...when you said, like they said suspicious death I thought well he's trying to shed pounds for Cancun so he looks good in his boxers, or bathing suit or whatever swimtrunks, and um, and I know that, I thought he takes supplements and works out really, really hard, I've seen him work out, and it's a very intense routine and he has these heavy dumbbells that he uses and he's so strong, I mean, there's a couple times we tried to wrestle just for fun--show me some moves--and there's...I don't see how anyone, unless maybe there were TWO PEOPLE, I don't see how anyone could overpower him.

LE--Yeah, yeah, it would take, I'd say two people maybe more to over power him.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qdiZADvLaEY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/URL]

start at 31-12

Hi, LadyEdith. I've been told that Ninjas are quite adept wrestlers.

I totally agree with you. You think about it she killed him 3 times. Then threw in the added little extras. Any way you look at it it was heinous overkill. She could have walked away at anytime with any one of the big 3 injuries and he would have died. What does it matter at all which one was first. Nobody will ever know the truth of what happened that day. What set the psycho off. I just find it sad she did not use the gun on herself.

Regardless of what happened with them with the "deviant" sex between two consenting adults Travis did not deserve any of her revenge on him. She was the sexual predator not him. She proved that with Ryan the next day. It seems like she was all set to deflower all the Mormon virgins she came across.

Just because their sex life was not acceptable to some of us she was a willing partner just as he was. If he was truly a virgin he got a hold of something with her he had no idea of how to handle.

I totally agree with this statement. But I do think we know what set "the psycho" off. And Travis's friend says it best in the 48 hours interview. Travis would have laid it out plain and simple... heres what happening... and heres whats NOT happening.. and for Jodi, that was not the right answer. But yes , your statement is so true.

JA-Okay

JA-Exactly

LE--Yeah, yeah, it would take, I'd say two people maybe more to over power him.<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qdiZADvLaEY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/URL]

start at 31-12

If you are referring to the bolded statement that LE made, they discussed during questioning with the LE on the stand, that it is common for LE to tell lies etc during interogation to coax a confession out of a suspect.

On the most recent 48 Hours JA episode, she mentioned that she had spoken to TA while in LA and he asked her to stop by on the way to Utah. Did that phone call ever happen or did JA show up unannounced ?

Here is the list of calls between Jodi and Travis before she was in AZ on 6/4/08.

Travis to Jodi
6/2/08 3:04 am 1011 seconds = approx 17 minutes
6/2/08 3:21 am 2450 seconds = approx 41 minutes

Jodi to Travis * I did not get the ones for 6/2/08 from Jodi to Travis
6/3/08 12:37 pm 17 seconds
6/3/08 1:51 pm 170 seconds = approx 3 minutes
6/3/08 8:16 pm 129 seconds = approx 2 minutes
6/3/08 8:34 pm 49 seconds

We don't have the text transcripts as to what texts were sent when, however it was said by Flores during one of the interviews with Jodi that her phone was turned off before she went into AZ. Jodi claims her phone died however once she left AZ her phone was on again.

Jodi called Travis 6/4/08 at 11:37 pm, this call went to voicemail and she left a message.

The thing is, they are not the State ME and they did NOT do the autopsy. And it wasn't my statement, it came from Dr G who is an acting ME. She stated that when a ME testifies it is considered FACT. Her words, not mine.

As I said, people can debate the issues all they want, but for the purposes of this trial he was shot last.

And I know this is a very silly example, but in the CA movie that was shown this weekend, Jeff Ashton states the exact same thing - once the ME has made it apart of the official report, it is then a FACT and not OPINION!

From your link: Specific frontal lobe lesion symptoms depend on the exact location of the lesion, the extent of the damage, and the overall health of the patient. Difficulties may range from mild to completely incapacitating. It is important to remember that not everyone with damage to this part of the brain will experience the same set of symptoms or the same degree of disability. Proper medical care is vital, and a doctor should be consulted with any questions concerning individualized symptoms so that a personalized treatment plan can be developed.

Look at the images. If, as the ME says, the bullet went in 1.5 inches from the midline and passed into the sinus cavity at the midline, then only 1.5 inches of the front part of the head was affected. Frontal lobe damage is usually talked about in about car wreck terms. This was much less traumatic.

Well here's a way-out-there thought I just had based on the debate about the gunshot wound in the head and the defense's strong contention that it occurred first. Maybe JA is claiming self-defense because she has come up with a scenario which goes like this:

(I am making this up.)

She intended to shoot him and will admit this on the stand when she gets there. She got him to sit down in the shower intentionally via the "posing in the shower" ruse, so he would be in a vulnerable position. She shot him while he was in that position. This is consistent with his position in the photo of him facing right.

BUT HE DIDN'T DIE. Instead, he got up and lunged toward her, saying "I'll kill you", and screaming at her. In "fear for her life," she grabbed a knife from the bedroom (remember he had supposedly used it for cutting the "rope"). In the meantime, he is spewing blood in front of the sink, then proceeds down the hall. They meet at the end of the hall, and he tries to "get" her somehow in the hallway. She starts stabbing him with the knife, and....then the rest of the gore ensues.

This way, she would be possibly be guilty of "attempted murder" (for which she is not charged) because she shot him in the head but he didn't die. And the self-defense plea would apply to the part of this scenario when he is still up and coming toward her and the defense could contend she was reasonably fearful for her life.

I don't think this is what occurred, but I just can't figure out how else the defense will spin a story of self-defense. This is the best I can come up with. I know the ME said the head injury would have been fatal, but boy, the defense sure is trying hard to dispute this. There must be a reason this is so important to them.

Could they possibly present this as their case?

From what I understand and what Jean said in that video, there was an indictment/arrest warrent issued for Jodi on July 9, 2008. LE waited until July 14, 2008 to go to arrest Jodi, HOWEVER, Jodi was under surviellance from July 9, 2008 until July 15, 2008 when they arrested her. She was in Yreka, CA at the time so I would think that it was the Yreka LE that had her under surveillance. Mesa LE are the ones that were recording their activity that was shared in the video.

MOO

MAUREEN MAHER (voiceover): That key piece of evidence was good enough for the State of Arizona to issue a warrant for Jodi's arrest. Five weeks after finding Travis' body Detective Flores showed up on her doorstep in Yreka.

I dont think we know this for sure yet.

Well here's a way-out-there thought I just had based on the debate about the gunshot wound in the head and the defense's strong contention that it occurred first. Maybe JA is claiming self-defense because she has come up with a scenario which goes like this:

(I am making this up.)

She intended to shoot him and will admit this on the stand when she gets there. She got him to sit down in the shower intentionally via the "posing in the shower" ruse, so he would be in a vulnerable position. She shot him while he was in that position. This is consistent with his position in the photo of him facing right.

BUT HE DIDN'T DIE. Instead, he got up and lunged toward her, saying "I'll kill you", and screaming at her. In "fear for her life," she grabbed a knife from the bedroom (remember he had supposedly used it for cutting the "rope"). In the meantime, he is spewing blood in front of the sink, then proceeds down the hall. They meet at the end of the hall, and he tries to "get" her somehow in the hallway. She starts stabbing him with the knife, and....then the rest of the gore ensues.

This way, she would be possibly be guilty of "attempted murder" (for which she is not charged) because she shot him in the head but he didn't die. And the self-defense plea would apply to the part of this scenario when he is still up and coming toward her and the defense could contend she was reasonably fearful for her life.

I don't think this is what occurred, but I just can't figure out how else the defense will spin a story of self-defense. This is the best I can come up with. I know the ME said the head injury would have been fatal, but boy, the defense sure is trying hard to dispute this. There must be a reason this is so important to them.

Could they possibly present this as their case?

Interesting theory but it still does not equal self defense. One can not attack someone first (shooting someone) and then claim self defense when that person does not die and defends themselves. No matter how the defense tries to spin it this is first degree murder.

MOO

If you are referring to the bolded statement that LE made, they discussed during questioning with the LE on the stand, that it is common for LE to tell lies etc during interogation to coax a confession out of a suspect.

No, I was just pointing out where Jodi first floated the ninja tale. I agree that when LE agreed he was going along with her to see what else she would say. When she says "two people" I believe she was showing how she hoped her crime would be viewed.

MAUREEN MAHER (voiceover): That key piece of evidence was good enough for the State of Arizona to issue a warrant for Jodi's arrest. Five weeks after finding Travis' body Detective Flores showed up on her doorstep in Yreka.

Jean (the one that read the list I posted) stated Jodi was indicted on July 9, 2008 but police waited while keeping her under surveillance.

It did not have to be Mesa LE that was keeping her under surveillance since she was living in Yreka, CA at the time. It was a joint effort as Yreka LE also had a stake in making sure they knew where Jodi was at. Jodi could have killed again while in Yreka.

MOO

No, I was just pointing out where Jodi first floated the ninja tale. I agree that when LE agreed he was going along with her to see what else she would say. When she says "two people" I believe she was showing how she hoped her crime would be viewed.

I couldn't agree more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope that the long break in the trial does not hurt the prosecution team's momentum.

I am dreading the defense's turn, but am looking forward to a strong rebuttal from the PT. I have a feeling that it will be good.

What about all of the texts? Is the PT waiting for the DT to admit them into evidence, to avoid a potential successful appeal? The DT seems to want to use these texts in the defense, but I can't imagine how they would help Jodi more than they would hurt her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy