FL - Jasmon Rudolph, 3, dead, 1yo injured in bathtub, Lakeland, 3 May 2007

I wonder if there weren't stains in the tub, and she possibly filled the tub fairly high, past a possible water stain mark with cleaners and water.

Lion

If she had the tub full of water she would need to add a lot of cleaner......other wise the cleaner would be too diluted to be of any use.

Yes, she would have to add lots of cleaner. I just don't know about this, and I wish we had more details.

Lion

I have questions for the mom.
Why did she deem it necessary to fill the tub with cleaning products? Why not use a bucket or the sink instead?

She might have been a "flybaby." The flylady is a big proponent of "shining your sink" - filling it with bleach and letting it soak and then scrubbing it. It is her first step towards getting your house organized.

The tub comes later, but is done the same way.

http://flylady.net/pages/FLYingLessons_Shine.asp

She might have been a "flybaby." The flylady is a big proponent of "shining your sink" - filling it with bleach and letting it soak and then scrubbing it. It is her first step towards getting your house organized.

The tub comes later, but is done the same way.

http://flylady.net/pages/FLYingLessons_Shine.asp

I dont have children but thats how i clean my tub every week. Half gallon of bleach and fill it up and let it soak half an hour. It isnt gross I just take a lot of baths and like it shiny white clean. Is there an age of the mother? My gut feeling is telling me this is an accident, god I hope I am right this time. I must admit when i have my nephews and nieces over(alot) I tend to not keep the doors shut and such. This is the reason i will be paying close attention to them. Such a sad story, I feel so bad for her if it isnt her fault.

I think kids just associate tubs with fun... Today we found out our 2 year old can climb in by herself. There was no water in the tub. But their toys are in there and she saw something she wanted so she went for it.

Hi MREG2! We're both moms - so I think we can comment!

I have a 4 yr old and 1 yr old. The 1 yr old throws everything in the tub, including the stepstool, whether there's water in there or not. He can also climb in and out of the tub.

We have definitely forgotten to lock the gate to the upstairs before, and hubby has left water in the tub once. However, I don't clean my tub like this, and wouldn't ever.

In fact, we've gotten rid of most dangerous chemicals and now only use Bon-Ami to scrub, and all-natural other cleaners. (I feel a lot better when the warnings on the label say "if swallowed, give the kid a glass of water" rather than "CALL EMERGENCY!!") It's just peace of mind. I do keep clorox wipes around, though - but I figure the 1 yr old would have to suck all of them.

I guess I can see this happening. I have a little more trouble believing w/ a 3 year old, but you never know.

I guess I can see this happening. I have a little more trouble believing w/ a 3 year old, but you never know.

Hmmm...unless....I wonder if the 1yo fell in and the 3yo leaned over trying to help get him out. With the fumes and such, he could have been overcome.

I also wonder if it was a regular tub or one of those big, deep garden tubs.

Making me ill just thinking about it.

It's just peace of mind. I do keep clorox wipes around, though - but I figure the 1 yr old would have to suck all of them.
you are correct. a little bleach will not hurt the child. when my son was 2 i decided to mop the kitchen with bleach water. i poured all the bleach left in the bottle(about 1 cup) into my mop bucket. i then replaced the child proff cap (NOT ) back on the bottle. i then began to walk backwards mopping my way out of the kitchen. when i went to move the mop bucket i saw my son sitting in the floor with the lid off the bottle and it turned upside down while he tried to drink it. i freaked and called poison control. they said up to a few teaspoons would not cause real harm. it may make a childs mouth sore at worse. my son could not have gotten more than a few drops because the bottle was empty. after all bleach is basicly what the city uses to clean our water supply.

you are correct. a little bleach will not hurt the child. when my son was 2 i decided to mop the kitchen with bleach water. i poured all the bleach left in the bottle(about 1 cup) into my mop bucket. i then replaced the child proff cap (NOT ) back on the bottle. i then began to walk backwards mopping my way out of the kitchen. when i went to move the mop bucket i saw my son sitting in the floor with the lid off the bottle and it turned upside down while he tried to drink it. i freaked and called poison control. they said up to a few teaspoons would not cause real harm. it may make a childs mouth sore at worse. my son could not have gotten more than a few drops because the bottle was empty. after all bleach is basicly what the city uses to clean our water supply.

True. It still seems odd to me that my FL friends keep bleach on hand to purify water in case of a hurricane. I would have to fight every gut instinct in my body to drink water that had even a hint of bleach, but I guess that's what you have to do. Ick.

Glad your little one was okay! Can you imagine if it hadn't been empty? I shudder to think. :eek:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrnkKrcher
Back