NCAA Sanctions: "DP" for Penn Football, or...?

Should the NCAA give Penn State the "death penalty"?

• Total voters
I was pleased to hear that current and/or incoming students will have the opportunity to transfer to other schools if they want to do so. Those with exceptional talent should not be denied the exposure that comes with bowl games and other NFL recruiting activities. :moo:

i have spent too much time on the penn statew message board and listening to national sports talk shows.

their most rabid fans dont get it, but psu evidently does. this is a strong indication to me that the administration at psu understands what has happened to them and what they need to do.

the acceptance of the penalties and sanctions means a lot to me. their fans are in shock.

I think between the loss of scholarships and the no-Bowl-games over the next four years, this is actually worse than the DP, especially if it had only applied for a year or two. This weakens the football program for a much longer time... They won't be able to recruit a full roster of scholarship players until what, the 2017-2018 incoming class? Ouch. Definitely supports the goal of weakening the "football first" culture.

Deadspin - which has covered the Sandusky matter well, and heavily - with its take on the NCAA and the penalties:
---
Blowing up Penn State gives perfect cover for every other big football school that is now, to use NCAA president Mark Emmert's phrase, "too big to fail," which describes all of them, and which describes the NCAA, too, while we're at it. It creates the illusion that everything is on the up-and-up again, and that other schools will see Penn State and totally get it now (they won't).
---
http://deadspin.com/5928204/the-ncaa-is-using-penn-state-to-justify-its-own-horrid-existence

So I was outside and I kept hearing this smacking sound followed by wailing, curious to what it could have been I hurried into the house to check here for answers.

Now I realize it was just Penn St. receiving their much deserved spanking.

Today is a good day.

LOL !

As a result, the NCAA imposed a $60 million sanction on the university, which is equivalent to the average gross annual revenue of the football program. These funds must be paid into an endowment for external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...postseason-ban-scholarship-reduction/related/

I'm glad that although Penn State may plan to create some worthwhile work on abuse as part of demonstrating change, they won't get to benefit from the fine.

Well done personal opinion: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/07/23/3269657/football-programs-mystique-shattered.html

i have spent too much time on the penn statew message board and listening to national sports talk shows.

their most rabid fans dont get it, but psu evidently does. this is a strong indication to me that the administration at psu understands what has happened to them and what they need to do.

the acceptance of the penalties and sanctions means a lot to me. their fans are in shock.

Agreed, coastalpilot! I cannot imagine the shock of PSU fans and am glad the University is being proactive. (Not a PSU fan but shocked nonetheless)

Sorry if you found my link offensive.

There is NO punishment strong enough - not when it comes to this horror show for countless? children!!

Wow wow wow. This is WORSE than the death penalty. Gives coaches and administers all over the country a loud, clear message: don't cover up for child rapists. It's so symbolic and poetic that they are vacating wins back to 1998, the first time Paterno and company could have stopped Jerry and didn't. The true irony is that the program Paterno worked so hard to build and protect (at the expense of those innocent little boys) is crumbling down because of his own inaction. I wish he would have lived to see it. He got off really easy...IMO

Wow wow wow. This is WORSE than the death penalty. Gives coaches and administers all over the country a loud, clear message: don't cover up for child rapists. It's so symbolic and poetic that they are vacating wins back to 1998, the first time Paterno and company could have stopped Jerry and didn't. The true irony is that the program Paterno worked so hard to build and protect (at the expense of those innocent little boys) is crumbling down because of his own inaction. I wish he would have lived to see it. He got off really easy...IMO

My thoughts exactly. I wish -sorta- that he was alive, in horrible cancer pain, and exposed as the pedophile enabler he is. Stripped of everything he ever had, just like he allowed those children to be stripped of their innocence and dreams.

My thoughts exactly. I wish -sorta- that he was alive, in horrible cancer pain, and exposed as the pedophile enabler he is. Stripped of everything he ever had, just like he allowed those children to be stripped of their innocence and dreams.

Describes Curley, though he may have beaten the cancer. I had been looking for the right nasty words about Curley-- I'll add that he probably hurts more over the football sanctions than he has for the victims.

I saw tweets re: the BoT reactions and they're whining. Evidently they think PSU "rolled over and played dead." They should just not say anything, especially comments like that. At least pretend.

Shocker: NCAA does the right thing (Fox Sports)
I thought the 24 hours leading up to NCAA president Mark Emmert’s Monday morning news conference was a smokescreen, a public-relations scheme executed to make a slap on the wrist feel like the death penalty.

I thought the leaks to CBS and ESPN and the tearing down of Joe Paterno’s statue at Beaver Stadium were an orchestrated propaganda campaign to convince us the NCAA took a fearless stand against the worst corruption we’ve ever seen in shamateur athletics.

I thought it was the “Okeydoke.”

I was wrong.
---
the rest at link above

I saw tweets re: the BoT reactions and they're whining. Evidently they think PSU "rolled over and played dead." They should just not say anything, especially comments like that. At least pretend.

I think it was either play dead, or be dead.

The Associated Press ‏@AP
BREAKING: Joe #Paterno family calls #NCAA sanctions a "panicked response" that punish #PennState students.
God they're clueless.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back