PA - Boy Left In Old Diaper Now Critical In Pittsburgh Burn Unit

From the article:
Rodriguez is being held in the county prison. He told a judge that he was caring for the two children because their mother is in jail, too.

I'd say "caring" is not the proper term to use here. Those poor kids!

WTAE Channel 4's Jennifer Miele reported that the brother of the child's mother visited the children on Christmas. When he tried to hug them, he said they screamed in pain, so he called police and an ambulance.

The girl is being treated at Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital in Greensburg, where nurses filled her bed with dolls and toys for Christmas.

Police said they found Rodriguez's apartment on East Pittsburgh Street filled with garbage, and the floor was covered with food and waste.

Thank god for the Uncle...

Poor Babies :(

Wow, that is awful, I am astounded at the things people do to their poor children.

I hope that these children will recover completely and have a chance at a real life with people that love them and care for them the way they should be cared for. As for the dad, I hope he serves some hard time behind this! Thank God the uncle had the good sense to call for help.

Im surprised the diapers stayed on that long! I would think they would have bogged down so much that they would have expanded and fell off unless they were duct taped on and the 3 year old would have been able to pull hers off also...I dont know how many times my kids pulled off their diapers once they figured it out.

Im surprised the diapers stayed on that long! I would think they would have bogged down so much that they would have expanded and fell off unless they were duct taped on and the 3 year old would have been able to pull hers off also...I dont know how many times my kids pulled off their diapers once they figured it out.

I agree

Nappies get heavy with wee and poop
I don't get how it could possibly have stayed on for a month ?
A DAY of leaving it on could cause cronic burning even a month ???? sounds a bit far fetched to me
YES CHILD ABUSE
But a month ? nah it would have fallen off with the weight and or the child could remove it UNLESS the child was tied down in the cot or something
*sob*

That's a good point. My 10-month old can pull off her diaper. Perhaps they were cloth diapers, pinned on? Or maybe they were afraid of punishment if they pulled them off? Or maybe the "father" just kept (gag) putting the dirty diapers back on??

if the children were not being fed much or given much to drink then maybe the diaper was not getting filled as much as one normally would. this is truely horrible! their uncle is their hero! I want to know if in this months time there was anybody else around to see these babies? I'm betting someone out there was aware of their situation and just didn't do anything :(

VB

It's heinous either way.

That's a good point. My 10-month old can pull off her diaper. Perhaps they were cloth diapers, pinned on? Or maybe they were afraid of punishment if they pulled them off? Or maybe the "father" just kept (gag) putting the dirty diapers back on??
This was my thought. Perhaps he just keep reusing them? Or taping them on.

I used cloth diapers, and my kid could pull them off as easy as a disposable one--even if pinned on. Snaps were a little harder, but eventually the kid could get through those too. Other cloth diapers I know also had diaper escape artists so it's not as hard as you might think.

Although cloth diapers might eventually dry and become less heavy and don't expand like the chemicals in disposables ones so this might be plausible as well. I know back in the way wet prefolds were allowed to dry and reused so it might make sense that they'd dry and not become full like a disposable diaper would.

It reminds me of the case where the parents left the baby in the car seat for a week, eventually the waste ate into his poor body. I assume this would happen here if waste was left close to the body for extended periods of time.

What a tragic case. What a relief the are receiving the attention and care they need.

I was thinking the same thing, Trose. Poor child.

December 2008:

When police attempted to talk to Mr. Rodriguez, they said he appeared to be under the influence of an unknown substance. Officers found two empty cough syrup bottles on the back of the couch behind the man's head...

Police said the man was evasive in answering questions, but they weren't sure if that was intentional.

"When asked when he had last changed the child's diaper, he stated that it was [Thursday.] When asked what time, he stated, 'not too long ago.'

"At times, he would laugh and the situation and would continue to be incomprehensible, mumbling and not making sense when speaking," the report said.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/w...lamed-for-burns-on-boy-3/stories/200812270111

May 2009:

For more than a year, the county has been at loggerheads with UPMC over medical bills for inmates. The latest case involves the care of Jesus Rodriguez, 34, of Greensburg, who was jailed Dec. 26. Rodriguez was charged with assault, endangerment and other offenses after his 3-year-old son was found with caustic burns caused by dirty diapers.

On Jan. 3, prison officials found Rodriguez incoherent in a disciplinary unit and sent him to Excela Westmoreland Hospital in Greensburg. Rodriguez was transferred to a Pittsburgh hospital, while he was still considered to be in the custody of the county jail. Sources said Rodriguez has been diagnosed with HIV/AIDS.

As his medical condition deteriorated in the hospital, Westmoreland County Judge John Blahovec, at the request of county and prison officials, released Rodriguez from custody by lowering his $1 million bond to an unsecured bond.

The action was taken to reduce the cost of guarding Rodriguez at the hospital as well as to limit medical costs.

http://triblive.com/mobile/1239868-...ate-westmoreland-care-bill-hospital-officials

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
archangel78100
Back