State v. Bradley Cooper 5-2-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, should be very interesting to see what verdict the jurors come back with. I can see both sides of the coin honestly. When I was a SAHM, we were on a tight budget, there were no extras. Yet, being a SAHM, I would be more inclined to understand the 'control' BC allegedly tried thru financial means. More or less, I can understand the 'trapped' feeling of relying on another person for everything.

I would have a hard time as a juror. But then again, they have heard some testimony we haven't so I am not even close to assuming that they will either come back with G/NG at this point. Just personal opinion after having the option of going back and reading and listening until I can't think anymore.
I have not had the opportunity to meet a couple talking about, hiring an attorney to divorce someone and then living with their spouse. Divorce is hard enough without living with the person. Then again, they were still making plans to do things as couple or 'friends' or whatever they were doing. Its so odd to me I can not even relate.

Kelly

Thanks Kelly. I have had several friends with young children get divorced. And in my experience, the majority of them did not physically separate right away, and they did still socialize with us occassionally as a couple as they were working through the details.

Fortunately I am not divorced, but I've seen this same behavior in my friends, so I don't consider it odd.

However, of my friends, no spouse wound up killed. I would find it hard to believe that a divorcing couple who hated each that much would still be socializing together.

Someone was commenting yesterday about which juror demographics are most likely to distrust LE; and said this jury was made up primarily of working-class women.

Other than gender, do we have any information on the demographics of this jury?

The subject of the jury has been frequently broached on this forum. I have heard among other things:
1) A jury, primarily composed of minority women, one who has a night job working for a ???, are not going to have sympathy for NC and her posse. (I thought that was posted today or last night, but it has disappeared...???)
2) This jury will never be able to understand how $300 could not be a good allowance.
3) That the jurors are probably reading here, but, (I'm paraphrasing other posts), "Oh, I couldn't go 3 weeks without sneaking a look at a paper, or forum, or news cast, either." (Thus implying it would be natural and okay to do so...)
4) And, the jury is tired of listening and wants to go home and they said just after Mrs. C brought the ducks to court.
5) The jury is too loud (giggling, laughing), too sensitive (jury requesting people in courtroom not stare at them), and too impatient (recent note about when is the trial going to end.)

These comments and ideas are very interesting. Someone else alluded to the fact the Kurtz and Company spent too much on jury consultants and didn't have funds left for expert witnesses.

I've asked a couple of times who the jury/trial consultants are, but either no one knows or my voice is too weak to be heard. I've tried Googling for the information, but haven't been able to locate it. If someone can point me in the right direction, I am still interested in this information.

When the trial began, I wondered how any defense jury/trial consultant could have been comfortable with 8 women and 2 men in a trial of this nature. Then I started to piece together the impetus of the posts and the composition of the jury.

This is only theoretical, so please don't attack me for my suggestion of a manner in which this jury could be perceived as beneficial to the defense. (These are just demographic observations, not personal feelings...)

A jury/trial consultant may have felt that:
1. Some of the jurors may be economically disadvantaged and/or a minority, apt to be unsympathetic to NC's spending habits and/or needs.
2. Some may be technologically challenged and less apt to own a computer because of my gender or race.
3. That the jurors’ economic background, racial makeup, and gender make them less able to sustain attention to detail and testimony; and, more likely to be prejudiced against CPD and understanding of wrongful accusations.

If this is the case, this could backfire for the defense. Kurtz and company and the DA's office accepted this panel. I would be interested in their observations and comments if any exist now....or later.

If I were a member of the jury, reading here when I've been asked not to, I would be angry and indignant to be selected to be part of this group because of my race, gender, and/or economic background because someone felt I would be less able to remain unbiased and less capable of acting as a fair and impartial juror.

Did anyone attend the voir dire phase? I guess the public normally does not watch that portion of the trial, correct? Did anyone see the jury questionnaire?

Just wondering...

I would find it hard to believe that a divorcing couple who hated each that much that they would still be socializing together.

I agree that the picture painted by some is not supported by the actual behvaior and evidence, which includes the lack of communication between NC and her divorce attorney in the months preceding her death.

Thanks Kelly. I have had several friends with young children get divorced. And in my experience, the majority of them did not physically separate right away, and they did still socialize with us occassionally as a couple as they were working through the details.

Fortunately I am not divorced, but I've seen this same behavior in my friends, so I don't consider it odd.

However, of my friends, no spouse wound up killed. I would find it hard to believe that a divorcing couple who hated each that much would still be socializing together.

BBM

I agree. I do have friends that were better at the journey, civil to each other, great parents so I can see that it is possible. The 2 different views presented, hating each other to the point of murder yet, attending parties and socializing with friends is where I go astray. IMHO.

Kelly

So far,

Cummings indicates pros is going to call rebuttal witnesses from both pros and defense (uncalled) list. Has some new info re: these witnesses passed to def.

kurtz: info received on router(s) has conflicting serial numbers - unclear from the material received if there is a linkup with the serial numbers...different routers...?

BZ: all the info I have is that router w/serial number that ends in "H" has been missing, not sure about the one which ends in "T".

kurtz: I understand "H" vs "T", I am referring to the fact that MAC and serial number attached to CF testimony ends in "6" and starts FOC...

(kurtz and BZ comparing notes)

kurtz: move to suppress Cisco router testimony re: router which ends in "H", discovery from state re: that router purchased but unaccounted for from Cisco, however info from CF...

-camera off

:deadhorse:
I wonder how many paid close attention to the Nifong/Duke case which happened in their backyard. Definitely impacted me as a juror. Official misconduct is not as rare as one may think.

Although you continue to try to link them together, IMO the two cases have NOTHING in common. MOO

What is happening? Are they in recess or what? TIA!

Although you continue to try to link them together, IMO the two cases have NOTHING in common. MOO

Morning Gracie, I know they have nothing in common at first glance. However, Nifong created tremendous credibility issues among the public. That distrust is still prevalent and can impact the State, especially if the defense can show some blatant discrepancies with the State's case and eye witness testimony. IMHO

Okay, I lost my live feed??? Anyone lose theirs? What happened?

Correct me if I am wrong

Cisco already testified that when someone takes equipment out of the building there are no log sheets an employee has to fill out.
I remember BZ questioning that. Someone could take and return gear and Cisco would never know. The witness said using gear was like an honor system. That is why many speculated that JW had stock piled his home lab with Cisco gear from his time working there. Now Cisco is saying they cannot find a specific router that matches a serial number.

If they have no means to track the equipment, how do they really know it is missing?

Could another employee have the missing router at home and not be using it?
Did they send an email out to everyone asking if they had it and since no one responsed, then BC must have ditched it.

It just strikes me odd that 2.5 yrs later, Cisco is now looking for the router and it took 2.5 yrs to see an entry on the windows event log ?

Morning Gracie, I know they have nothing in common at first glance. However, Nifong created tremendous credibility issues among the public. That distrust is still prevalent and can impact the State, especially if the defense can show some blatant discrepancies with the State's case and eye witness testimony. IMHO

I'm over it, my friends are over it, my family is 'over it'. It may be prevalent with *some*, but in my crowd, 'it's over'. MOO

While you are correct in that they are not related, the Duke case did change my view of LE. Before that case, I really did not believe in LE or a DA framing an innocent person. I didn't believe in planted evidence.

But then I saw it happen in the county adjacent to me. So I realized I had been naive.

I am still extremely hesitant to believe in LE conspiracies. However, after the blackberry expert came on last week, I am convinced LE tampered with evidence in this case. JMO>

Of course if the majority of those 10 female jurors are stay-at-home moms, I'd think they'd be leaning towards a guilty verdict. Hmmm, it's all very interesting. I hadn't read too closely into the juror demographics until now, when things are wrapping up.

I doubt any of these jurors are SAHM's. How would they be able to sit on jury service with kids at home? Maybe there could be a few previous SAHMs (kids are older and in school now), but I wouldn't think right now. I would not be able to serve on a jury right now because of that.

I doubt any of these jurors are SAHM's. How would they be able to sit on jury service with kids at home? Maybe there could be a few previous SAHMs (kids are older and in school now), but I wouldn't think right now. I would not be able to serve on a jury right now because of that.

HP seems to do it every day. Granted she can probably afford full time daycare.

These delays are what annoys the jurors. Kurtz could have made this argument Friday after the witness testified outside of the jury.

Motion to suppress computer testimony

I'm sure the jury is unhappy to once again sit for an hour or two in the morning awaiting testimony...and they know who's 'turn' it is, the defense rested Friday.

Correct me if I am wrong

Cisco already testified that when someone takes equipment out of the building there are no log sheets an employee has to fill out.
I remember BZ questioning that. Someone could take and return gear and Cisco would never know. The witness said using gear was like an honor system. That is why many speculated that JW had stock piled his home lab with Cisco gear from his time working there. Now Cisco is saying they cannot find a specific router that matches a serial number.

If they have no means to track the equipment, how do they really know it is missing?

Could another employee have the missing router at home and not be using it?
Did they send an email out to everyone asking if they had it and since no one responsed, then BC must have ditched it.

It just strikes me odd that 2.5 yrs later, Cisco is now looking for the router and it took 2.5 yrs to see an entry on the windows event log ?

From court on Friday:
Witness to say router was in a locked storage room in Jan 08. BC requested a key to storage room in Jan 08 and discussed with witness bringing router home in Jan 08. Inventory done in Sept 08 did not show the router at Cisco.

In any event, windows system event log showed a router locally connected to the laptop at 10:21 7/11. That it's the same router that BC brought home in Jan 08 is just gravy.

These delays are what annoys the jurors. Kurtz could have made this argument Friday after the witness testified outside of the jury.

It was information he received over the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong