Found Deceased CA - Katie Wilkins, 25, dies of heroin OD, Los Angeles County, 28 April 2012

Thank you for sharing the memory of your mother. I'm in grief counseling. I also shared the memory with someone I trusted and respected and that helped me. I had the prominent memory of the "moment" issues for awhile, still do from time to time. I do remember her for everything else now though and even how I found her is a part of it, just not the only part.

Essense, my younger sister died as a result of alcohol combined with anorexia, and it took me a while to get the final images of her out of my mind and resume my earlier memories of her, but I am glad you are in grief counseling as that really helped at the time. She was a lot more than her problems/diseases, and I am sure Katie was as well.

Essence,

Welcome to Websleuths, I'm so sorry its under these circumstances. Thank you for your kind words on the radio show and for thinking of my family. You, your sister and family are in my thoughts as well.

Ima

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

Anne Solbe of the Malibu Surfside News remains a viligant eye on the story through her coverage.

pg5

http://www.malibusurfsidenews.com/current_issue.pdf

There are also letters to the editor that offer views into the matter.

I'm currently frustrated that Chris is not being investigated to uncover his role. He is the person that has the most immediate answers,... and it appears to me he is protected from being investigated because:
1) He is the one that has the answers. So catch 22
2) Katie's past drug use is being used liberally to explain the unexplained suspicious circumstances of her death.

A woman appears to have been dragged and left for dead with a car stolen from her home (leaving her stranded 3 miles from nearest public road, so she didn't loan it out) and the last known contact who is presumed to have been with her hours before or at her time of death has not been questioned? Does past drug use really apply so liberally as to explain those circumstances adequately?

I know the detectives want to question Chris, i'm unclear on why the laws or entity who can make the call here has chosen to not pursue the most immediate source of information in the case.

What else?

Edit:
My frame of mind is that if Katie relapsed, she owns it. I'm having a hard time coming to grips that with her texts, Chris's involement, and the suspicius circumstances that are known, that this was just a relapse that killed her. Though I will say that before I saw her txts, read her workout and diet journal, and found out that Chris was involved, that I did believe this was just a trajic relapse.

What an excellent article this woman wrote, I agree, it brings to the focus all of these mainly unanswered important questions.,

I note that the LE office admits to:

1) Her body "may have been dragged" to explain the clothing in disarray. WELL, "Duh"

2) The contents of her purse were found "spilled" onto the floor of her vehicle, which obviously, (another "Duh") she herself did not drive as she was left dead in the garage!

This entire fiasco, is another reminder of the old saying,
"The squeaky wheel, gets the oil".

For those who care in Malibu about this travesty, please keep squeaking!

Essence, thinking of you and sending warm wishes to you and your family.

I believe in karma more than I have faith in the justice system. Every country should have federal good samaritan laws IMO. It should be a felony to neglect to seek help.

Steve, I hope your family gets some answers. I hope certain people realize this is THE pivitol moment in their life to do what's right. Even if it ends up costing them some reputation or some money or some dignity, that pales in comparison to a lifetime of regret and shame and denial.

RIP Katie.

http://malibusurfsidenews.com/stories/201205/201205310005.html
Coroner's Office Says Katie Wilkins Tox Results Still Weeks Away
The official cause of death for Katherine Jessie Wilkins continues to be listed as deferred. Chief Coroner Investigator and Chief of Operations Craig Harvey of the Los Angeles County Department of Coroner told the Malibu Surfside News Tuesday that he "just heard back from the deputy medical examiner on this case [and] it appears that the toxicology is still 4-6 weeks out before final results will be available."
More...

At this time I’m confident that investigators and law enforcement with the help of the community and those willing, will reveal what happened here.

Prints are back.

Proves Chris at the house on the door leading to the garage where I found Katie. Up to this point I'm positive Chris would have denied everything afforded to him, so the print is significant. At this point we can expect more of the same, silence and deceit, from the Benton Camp. We have seen this already through lawyers and rehab and a single astonishingly callous public statement from Andy with no private contact returned to my family. Any story and stance that hides Chris’s guilt will be given. So we may play devil advocates as to what Chris can continue to cling to.

I believe Chris last txt was certainly a cover. Prints put him at house and in the garage where Katie was found. Considering her car was missing for 11 days following her death and never returned, it is clear that whoever was there with her stole the car. Given Chris was at the house and with no car of his own it's logical he fled in the car. If he borrowed it or was given permission to use it why was the car never returned and instead found by authorities in a location that indicates the car had not long been there? 1) never reported 2) no street cleaning tickets

For reference Chris's lst txt was sent to her cell at a time after she died but long before (30h) news of her death was made public.

"Wut happened? was that ur brother? Lemme kno that ur alrite. have a good day"

He never followed that txt up with a call or txt and never came forward during the period of 3-4 days after Katie's death was made public. The work of investigators and law enforcement, not Chris, revealed Chris's role in the circumstances leading to Katie's death. Chris's last txt to Katie doesn't hold up here. When the investigation revealed Chris was the last person to be seen with Katie, instead of following through on the concern implied with his txt, it was revealed that Chris was found to have been placed in a rehab and put behind a criminal attorney. Last txt walks like a, quacks like a,... thank you Chris.

No one has come forward with information about Katie's whereabouts and the only sign of a third party is from Chris's txt. I believe this attempt at a cover txt will serve to sink him and should also sink the person who designed that txt, I do not believe it was conceived of by Chris.

*Important* As expected no prints from the car. Print report shows nothing conclusive. Surveillance does prove Chris getting into the car regardless. Car was being hidden for a number of days after Katie's death. Keys still not found. Car was never returned to our family, it was found by an officer 11 days after Katie died. The location where the car was found indicates that any car sitting there for a number of days would have been ticketed. If the car was driven there directly after Katie died the car would have received 2 tickets. No tickets on car. The car was in the possession of whomever stole it for a number of days before it was left where an on duty Officer found it. Car having no prints is of further significance because this is in line with the plan of cover that Chris and his Keepers have engaged in since Katie died.

Tox not back.

As I consider the response from Andy and his reflection on Pepperdine on an issue that is squarely in his view, i'm ashamed for both Andy and the Universities PR department. I hold all of the Alumni, especially the men and women I personally know, in the highest regard. This is for good reason. Andy's representaion of Pepperdine University is an important part of the story. The hypocrisy of Andy is staggering. I have seen the physical reaction of disbelief and shock from people who are aware of the circumstances at this time and have seen his response.

Both Andy and the Universities PR have chosen inaction and rhetoric over providing a sincere approach towards acting in a manner to get the truth of what happened. The truth of what happened is clearly of paramount importance at this time. Both the university and Andy chose to issue "no comment" during initial media initiated attempts to contact them regarding the story. Only after repeated attempts did they provide statements. Given the tone of the responses, it is clear that they deliberated and made a choice to distance themselves and deflect the issue as much as possible. Any sincerity in the responses would have been implied and found in an initial and immediate response, there is no sincerity in contrived responses issued after denying comment repeadetly. So shame to them and I expect the appearance is seen for what it is, a lack of character and morality when they both represent a distinguished University that demands their very best.

No question lessons can be very hard in life to learn. The lesson here, that there are many shallow less then brave individuals at Pepperdine U. Not the least of which is it's President :( ; A big salary and prestigious career, does not a person make.

So shame to them and I expect the appearance is seen for what it is, a lack of character and morality when they both represent a distinguished University that demands their very best.

Essence
Thank you for the update. I have been curious to see if the people helping Chris were smart enough to at least leave his prints on the passenger side of the car. After all he was on video, therefore you would figure they would at least not clean down the whole car. As you knew his print would be on the door knobs. So sad that they can't just step up and at least have a conversation with you and your parents. But you know once defense attorneys get involved, they don't want them saying anything to anyone.

When are the Tox reports due back? It will be very interesting to see what that shows.

My heart feels for you. Thank you for being your sister's voice. Cyber hug for you....you are a wonderful man.

Essence
Thank you for the update. I have been curious to see if the people helping Chris were smart enough to at least leave his prints on the passenger side of the car. After all he was on video, therefore you would figure they would at least not clean down the whole car. As you knew his print would be on the door knobs. So sad that they can't just step up and at least have a conversation with you and your parents. But you know once defense attorneys get involved, they don't want them saying anything to anyone.

When are the Tox reports due back? It will be very interesting to see what that shows.

My heart feels for you. Thank you for being your sister's voice. Cyber hug for you....you are a wonderful man.

Thank you. I feel fortunate that I saw one of lovejac's comments on an article that led me to this community. The lead detective is aware of the thread. He is a helluva guy as is his partner, for all those following be confident in knowing that along with us here that there are very good people invovled and working on this and sharing ideas and getting after it. There is possibly a bit of undertoe regarding questions of procedure given Chris hasn't been questioned at this time. Bottom line is Chris will not reveal anything whether he is brought in or not and that's a choice Chris's defense has made at this time given what they know of Chris's invovlment.

Tox back in ~2weeks.

Proof will reveal Chris and so part of that is getting proof through his contacts; people he has wronged in his past or through his future failures as a person or folks who just don't like Chris and want to nail his *advertiser censored*. Anyone able to share, reveal, illicit information regarding Chris's actions will be pivotal in getting Chris brought to justice and possibly saving others from Chris. There are lot of viewers of this thread, get on and make Chris sweat to the extent you are able, this is a large part of what needs to happen to move forward in the case.

My father did a courtesy knock in the neighborhood where car was found. Couple interesting new pieces of information. Was told car was ditched on 5/1, just a few days after I found Katie and 1 day after her death was announced on the news. The man who ditched the car was described as fitting a profile of Chris Benton. This person parked the car, grabbed sometihng from the passenger seat and walked away out of the neighborhood. The reason this was not reported earlier than 5/8 was because the significance was not known until then. Street cleaning tix remain a puzzle, the car should have recieved them given it's time on the street where it was ditched.

Is it possilbe or likely the car was taken to Chris's home in Pepperdine where he lived with his parents? I question why take the car on the road after the news stories broke on 4/30 and where else would Chris go after he fled our home? If the car traveled to the Benton home it explains their crafted and defiant silence we have encountered from them since the moment Chris involvment was revealed.

I'd like feedback/discussion regarding the argument that a person who has quit heroin and not used for several years can be seen as someone who has made an implied statement about their frame of mind that simply states "I do not want to and will not use heroin again". Temptation is a factor, but it's speculation, the act of quitting in this scenario is not speculation but the objective truth. I understand why speculation takes precendent, though I think it reveals an interesting look into possible stigma of drug use and how damaging it can be for not only users (past and present) but also for folks who want to help with drug issues and addictions. Realizing and dissolving the stigma of drug use and addiction helps everyone who deals with the very real and dangerous problems of addiction.

The idea that a past addict is seen by some as addict first and a person who chose to overcome their problem through strength of character is unsettling though very real as it applies to numerous people i've shared this story with as well as myself. I am the person who sees addicts as addicts first, this is part of why the issue is compelling to me. I think I will work to stop this behavior, but its a large dose of acceptance of me first and change second.

I believe that if another person who had past drug issues that were either not revealed to authorities or simply not present in a persons history, and if that person were found in the way Katie died that this case would have been treated differently. I think that is an interesting position to consider if you see Katie's time clean from heroin for a few different insights into her mentality on 4/27-28.

I find it very compelling, too, Essense. And there is no doubt in my mind the case would have been handled much differently from the get go had Katie's past been different.

I believe there probably are folks in Chris's world who would love to see him go down. I don't think he could possibly have been stupid enough to drive Katie's car home to his parent's house, could he? But he DID drive it somewhere before he dumped it in that neighborhood, and someone knows that.

On the chance that CB's folks are reading here, I'd like to give them a glimpse of what the future with their son may be should they choose to continue enabling and protecting him.

I have an ex-brother-in-law who has been in rehab (various levels) six times that we know of. I'm pretty sure he did a few more stints before we knew him. His drugs of choice are cocaine and vicodin. Right now, at the age of 54, he is living with his mommy, who refuses to see the reality of the situation, and in the midst of a divorce from the mother of this 3 children.

You are a classy guy.

It's good to hear that there are some good detectives here that can also put themselves in another's shoes, for many of us have children Katie's age and everyone makes mistakes in life too.

Of course, I'm sure they'd not want that person responsible for sticking a needle (obviously the fatal one) into Katie's arm to go without living up to the responsibility of the deed.
By putting off owning up it could make it worse in the long run too.

For instance, by owning up to the deed now, admitting the failure to act prudently because of panic setting in could actually be a legal benefit to him now., rather then hiding away afraid to set the record straight.

How long did Cathy Smith serve in prison for such a crime as this? 15months, that's all!

And she probably didn't have the help of expensive lawyers on her defense "team" either.

He may even get off as a first time offense of such magnitude as so many do when young in California's tonier towns. That might even be expected, but at LEAST, he'd "man up" to the act and get it over with!

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathy_Smith"]Cathy Smith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Heck, he may serve zero time, but would be able to look anyone in the eye and say, "I was scared, but now I've come to my senses" and what judge or jury wouldn't identify with honestly like that?

Mistakes happen.

But hiding and denying only makes it far worse in the end.

Just a couple of thoughts: If the car was actually seen being ditched on May 1st, by someone fitting a similar description of the real Chris Benton, that means that any indication that Chris was entered into a drug treatment facility on April 28th would possibly be a lie. I believe that this was said by at least one Pepperdine spokesperson and possibly by Chris's father himself, Andrew Benton.

If the treatment facility was the loosie goosie (my opinion) SOPA where Chris had attended a meeting the night of April 27th, its possible he entered it and maybe even drove Katie's car there, but left to dump it on May 1st. It seems one can sort of come and go from there very easily, as well as maintain telephone, email, and internet contact with the outside world. And, remember, one of the admins from SOPA lives in Woodland Hills.

Too many people are covering for Chris, and I have to ask for what reason?

His own recovery, if he and his family really hope for him to achieve it, won't even start to occur until he faces the music regarding the time he spent with Katie that night and the next morning.

I wish for some sort of resolution for Katie's family.

One thing that has been bothering me recently is when I read last week that the charges against Courtney Wagner and Matthew Cox have been dropped. I mentioned earlier in this thread that about a week before the death of Katie Wilkins, Courtney Wagner and Matthew Cox were arrested for cocaine and heroin possession after police responding to a report of a gunshot at Wagner's home allegedly found drugs there. She lives very close to, certainly in the same general neighborhood of the Wilkins family. And, the call was responded to by the Malibu/Lost Hills Sheriff’s Station deputies.

This past week it was reported that The Los Angeles County District Attorney won’t be pursuing the case against Wagner and Cox because deputies did not have probable cause to search the home where the drugs were found.

So, how much training does it take for a Sheriff's deputy to know when they have probable cause and when they need to seek a warrant? Its not like they aren't dealing with similar situations on a regular basis, is it? I am just hoping that this isn't indicative of the entire Sheriff's Department.

So, while the detectives working on Katie's case may be very involved and 'getting after it', I just can't quite share the enthusiasm for their work so far. But, I am sure they know way more than I do and so I can only encourage them to keep working hard. There has to be a way to find out what really happened to Katie.

Personally, I think Chris's sister and her boyfriend (whoever he is) are very involved in protecting Chris. I think they live in Woodland Hills.

I am also very very bothered by the process by which coroners inform their decisions and reach their conclusions by using information supplied to them that might or might not be accurate and by their making 'assumptions' based on this questionable information. Until this situation, I had never really thought that much about the implications of the coroner's report.

I agree with you nora, in that having no "probable cause" sounds to me like a political decision based on money and not at all the truth.

After all, a gunshot heard in the residence is then "not" probable cause?

This past week it was reported that The Los Angeles County District Attorney won’t be pursuing the case against Wagner and Cox because deputies did not have probable cause to search the home where the drugs were found.

How about a license for that gun? How about disturbing the peace of the neighbors, let alone the drugs confisgated.:waitasec:

Since they are getting off "scott-free" then, I'd love to know does that mean the drugs will be returned to their rightful owners just like a watch might be?

No cause, no broken laws, no reason to hold someone's property

Seems to me, that LA in it's tonier neighborhoods have an awful lot of this going on, the unwillingness to prosecute rich folks or the well connected.
Even if some (like the agent gunned down on that Beverly Hills corner) became in lickety-split, a "case closed" after the man told his neighbor before killing himself, he was to collect a $10,000.00 fee or expected this sum of money. She's dead, the family doesn't press the subject, (whoever was left that is) she had no children, hence, case closed very quickly after the shooter (on a bicycle) kills himself, how convenient.

What a bunch of bunk! Noticeable I'm sure by many in this country besides myself.

Maybe by some miracle, the Katie Wilkins case will be different , as there is a family who cares and is willing to be the squeaky wheel who requires the oil.

wow, just now seeing this.
Steve, I am so sorry for your loss.

I am appalled at Mr. Benton, my goodness, get your kid in there and have him spill what he knows. Seems as though he has been covering him all his life...aspiring chef my patootie. It is such a shame what money will do.

Hopefully this stays in the news and Katie's family gets the answers they deserve and that Chris is punished to the full extent of the law.

http://malibusurfsidenews.com/stories/201206/201206070006.html

I hope this ongoing coverage continues to keep investigators on target. I've been following this since the get-go, and am very interested to see what the tox report says. Has it been stated that Katie lived at home with her parents? It is my understanding that she was only visiting while the parents were out of town, therefore wouldn't a search have been done of her residence? Certainly, if she had relapsed, there would be at the very least paraphernalia at her residence, since her car was obviously wiped clean of evidence.

Steve, I'm heartily sorry for your tragic and unexpected loss. My thoughts for you and your family during this difficult time.

Thanks darklydreaming, for that new article. And, welcome to Websleuths, by the way!!!

I find this in the article especially encouraging: "The LASD detective explained, "If we call Benton in and he is only going to take the Fifth [Amendment], there is no advantage to bringing him in to do that, and [so we are] continuing to work on the case we will ultimately present to the district attorney.""

I hope they are methodical and do everything by the book.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back