IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been awhile now since I watched the video of the girls riding bikes, but I do remember seeing those trailers or buildings on the lot and wondering about them too. If I recall correctly, on the left in the video is a deck with a chair where I presume folks go out to have a puff.

I suspect, if the girls were like me, if they saw a person often, not even speaking to them, their stranger alert system may be down a notch or two. I have to keep reminding myself to be cautious, and I'm an old crow, not 2 young girls zipping around on their bikes on a nice summer day.

I wonder, if instead of the lost puppy scenario, the perp, or one of them, pretended to fall and be hurt, as the girls were coming by a parking lot? Even most adults would react with help, instead of leaving the 'injured' person and run into a business or home to call 911 and bring aid.

BBM

The injury ruse worked well for Ted Bundy.

I miss Greta too! She did ask great questions. Can't figure out why she chose politics over missing children.... well, I have my suspicions.

Regarding Meyers lake and why the family thought the girls might have gone there, I thought Elizabeth might have ridden there with some neighborhood children. The ones that lived on Mr. C's (lawnwatering guy) street where he always saw Elizabeth riding. I thought Aunt Tammy said Elizabeth had ridden or gone to Meyers lake with the children that lived on that street. I'm probably confused.

You aren't confused -- that is exactly what happened. Elizabeth was the one with the prior connection to Meyers Lake, not Lyric.

I don't recall seeing any video or links where JP (from auction business) was interviewed? Does anyone else recall this??

Would the purse being left near the lake carry enough scent for the dogs to have hit on it even if the girls never made it that far?

All of this talk about the girls not ever making it to the lake is interesting.

But weren't there dogs at the lake that detected their scent? I know we discussed this at length on some of the earlier threads. Sarx, a verified SAR person, answered many questions about that. I believe GrainneDhu, also, weighed in on the subject. I haven't gone back to look for the posts, I'm just going by what I recall.

I found this earlier today while looking for something else, and thought I'd post it here. It's Tammy's comments about her own investigation:

Quote:

But what I`m saying is, so I -- after the tape came down, I went back in that area and I started doing my own investigation, and looking around and seeing what I could see. And I could so feel that somebody had come down here, had been watching the girls for quite some time -- whether it even started as they left Heather and Mom`s place -- they`d been following them and watching them, seen them come down here.

They know the area very well, watched the girls go around the lake. He knew how to access the back because he seen them heading down there. You know, maybe they were down there, you know, standing on those rocks, tossing them in the water, as kids do.

Anyway -- and it was a very hot, lazy Friday. There wasn`t many people out. I kind of looked around to see because after where the bikes were dropped on the bike trail, there`s about 400 yards of forest, and then that grassy area where I`m telling you that somebody could easily access the bike trail from, park their car along that grassy forest and got out and had a knife or whatever it was, and said to the girls, you know, Get in this vehicle right now or it`s over with for you.

And I could so see that -- that, you know, happening because, you know, where -- where are the girls, you know?

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1207/19/ng.01.html

This makes a lot of sense. I still think the bar needs to be checked.
The abductor could have been there first - people might remember a
strange person or 'that guy' .. who left.

So if the FBI dogs detected the girls' scents at the lake, wouldn't that mean the girls actually made it to the lake that day?

Yes especially if there was a trail. The question is 'how did they get there'? On their bikes or otherwise.

As for shooting down theories: nothing I say is sacrosanct in this matter.
The truth and solving this is all that matters -

I don't recall seeing any video or links where JP (from auction business) was interviewed? Does anyone else recall this??

I don't know about videos, but he commented for newspaper articles after the surveillance video was released:

Quote:

“They were the only two people to go by on bikes that day to my knowledge,” said Joe Pahl, who alerted police about the video July 16. “I’ve watched it.”

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_c7394e3c-d6a6-11e1-a4f3-0019bb2963f4.html

Quote:

The surveillance camera belongs to a local auction house. With few clues in the investigation, the house's manager. Joe Pahl thought to look for the video and turned it over to the FBI.

"Anything we can do to help," Pahl said. "We want to see the girls come back safe and alive."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/missing-io...-collins-lyric/story?id=16850676#.UM661m88CSo

So if the FBI dogs detected the girls' scents at the lake, wouldn't that mean the girls actually made it to the lake that day?

Yes especially if there was a trail. The question is 'how did they get there'? On their bikes or otherwise.

As for shooting down theories: nothing I say is sacrosanct in this matter.
The truth and solving this is all that matters -

Actually, it just means the girls were there recently. Dogs just pick up the most recent scent. IF the scent was detected at the lake, which I personally doubt, then it just means they were there at some point -- not necessarily that day.

Actually, it just means the girls were there recently. Dogs just pick up the most recent scent. IF the scent was detected at the lake, which I personally doubt, then it just means they were there at some point -- not necessarily that day.

Then you think the girls went to the lake at other times too?

Anyway -- and it was a very hot, lazy Friday. There wasn`t many people out.

[/quote]

Weather record from NOAA at Waterloo Jul 13 2012:

Mean Temperature 76 °F
Max Temperature 83 °F
Min Temperature 68 °F

Would the purse being left near the lake carry enough scent for the dogs to have hit on it even if the girls never made it that far?

If the dogs have been given prior scent from personal clothing etc, the
answer is yes. Especially if the purse is recently deposited.

My uncle used to raise scent dogs - even tried domesticated Australian
dingos which are remarkable (will find an article several feet under ground, a
weather change hours in advance, etc.). Well trained scent dogs can tell an
old scent from a new scent very easily - if properly trained. Dogs can be
trained to locate living vs deceased bodies under tons of debris.

Attachments

• Lyon II.jpg
    Lyon II.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 5
  • lyon II aus dingo domesticated.jpg
    lyon II aus dingo domesticated.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 4
I had read in MSM more than once that, while MSM seemed quite focused on Meyers Lake in the beginning, LE was not. In fact, a relatively small number were even there while that lake was being drained, and that a lot of the focus was closer to where the Collins live. I also read that LE did attempt to collect surveillance videos from numerous places up in north Evansdale, with the First Security State Bank, as well as Fareway Grocery specifically named. (They also interviewed a few employees of Fareway, who had been "out back on a cigarette break" that day).
OUR view of events has been mostly via MSM, and that was focused on that lake, primarily, and I feel such has had a tendency to skew perspectives a wee bit. JMO

BBM

Just to keep things "official", I believe the Fareway Grocery info came from FB, it was never reported in MSM.

If I'm wrong, please provide a link to that - I've been hearing this rumor from early on but have never seen it verified. TIA

I could have sworn I heard this asked in a taped PC. The part I put in bold is most likely what was expressed later in WS and I was confused. (I don't do Facebook at all, don't even have an account, wouldn't bother with it if I was able to look there.)

Thought others may find this interesting...I was searching on You Tube in hopes of finding a taping of the live stream coverage that was done before the Life and Love Celebration for Elizabeth started, and I ran across interview with Drew and Heather done by Tania Fiolleau, Part 1 and Part 2. Lots of things are discussed in this interview, including working on posters for RSO's, etc. I am not good at posting links, I would be happy to post it if I could but by search you will find it. I hadn't heard this interview mentioned anywhere and thought I would share what I found.

Thought others may find this interesting...I was searching on You Tube in hopes of finding a taping of the live stream coverage that was done before the Life and Love Celebration for Elizabeth started, and I ran across interview with Drew and Heather done by Tania Fiolleau, Part 1 and Part 2. Lots of things are discussed in this interview, including working on posters for RSO's, etc. I am not good at posting links, I would be happy to post it if I could but by search you will find it. I hadn't heard this interview mentioned anywhere and thought I would share what I found.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vuo8wDegFGQ

Many good points. Regarding when Heather said of burying bones. I don't think she meant that literally. She was referring to it just being a body.

As far as the hunters not hunting the same ground, that's not true. Deer are mobile, and usually one or more hunters flush out the deer, while others stand and wait. Si it would be more likely that the WOULD cover the same ground.

As far as popularity of the hunting site, like I said, I have a coworker who knows many hungers who hunt that area, so in guessing it was hunted many tines during first season, the first Saturday of December through that Wednesday, the day the girls were found. Other times of the year, maybe not, although bow hunting season starts I believe October 1 and breaks for shotgun season in December.

And j always thought that the girls were taken much closer to home. I hope that all campers were meticulously checked. Would be easy to lure them into a camper.

In the context of the interview, it seemed clear to me that Heather meant literally bones. I have a feeling she's probably heard a few rumours, unfortunately.

As for hunting, I don't know any hunter who pulls up to a hunting area and stays there if it is clear there's another party of hunters in the area. No one wants to become a headline.

So far as hunting seasons go, there's two shotgun seasons, two bow hunting seasons, youth, disabled, two muzzle loader seasons, antlerless, nonresident... you name it, there's a deer season for it. <LOL>

dog scent could of been off bikes? purse? articles tossed by perp?
Maybe he walked around for a minute with some article from 1 of the girls?
JMOO

A well trained scent dog makes it completely clear where the source of the scent is. If the scent came only from articles, then the dogs would have zero'd in on those articles only.

From media reports at the time, the dogs did not zero in on articles; they indicated on scent away from the girls' bicycles and Elizabeth's purse.

For whatever reason, I think the girls did make it to Meyer's Lake that day. I believe that all kids are basically good but they all get into mischief and do a little boundary pushing on occasion.

A lot of posters have said that Elizabeth would never get that far from home because her mother was not well. I've been thinking about that and what I wonder is how much the children knew about Heather's condition? They'd already had one bad scare two years previously; would good, loving parents like Drew and Heather draw a detailed picture of what was going on with Heather's health?

I don't think so. I think they would be more reassuring, along the lines of "Mommy's defibrillator needs a little tune up, so she'll be going to the hospital soon and then she'll be all better again."

Since Heather said the defibrillator has to be removed from her body, "fixed" then re-implanted, my guess is that it is going off when it isn't needed. I don't think there is any way someone could hide that from other people; it feels like a horse kicked you in the chest when it goes off. So their children probably knew that there was something going on with Mom's defibrillator but good parents would be reassuring and treat it as just a routine part of having one, nothing to worry about.

Great post, thank you. I was thinking if there were keggers out there that people would be wandering off to the bushes to use the facilities. They would wander far enough away from the fire and the keg so that they wouldn't be seen.
Also, where do people park when they have those keg parties? TIA

I don't know that there are keggers there, it just looks like the right sort of place for them and locals have said it has a reputation.

As for wandering off to use the bushes, I doubt anyone would go more than 20-30 feet away from the vehicles in the dark. The girls' bodies were located approximately 500 feet from the nearest vehicle access.

Yes.

The common materials that purses are made of (plastic and leather) all hold scent really well. Plus a purse is held and handled a lot, which saturates it with the owner's scent. Even a human being can match purses to owner's scent (I've run seminar demos and never had a human fail).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashley_erin