LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,...i'm new. Nice to be here, :)

Does anyone know of the forensic results on Mickey's bicycle?

Hi Londonrraine,
I'm new here too and I was wondering the same thing about the bike testing. Fingerprints, dna anything? Even if they can't give specifics it would be hopeful to know they've got something to work with. (I see, answered previously. Thanks)

I wonder if they did find paint on the bike and it wasn't white, hence the less than frantic plea for help in finding the white truck...maybe they really do think it was only a possible witness.

You probably wouldn't believe how awful it is to break down on that bridge! If someone wrecks or stalls ahead of you, and they can't manage to pull over to the shoulder, the whole bridge is shut down in that direction, usually by traffic that just has to come to a complete halt after the wreck. Even if you manage to pull over to the shoulder (and not all areas have shoulders) you are on a shoulder that is barely as wide as your car, so you are incredibly close to cars and trucks flying by.....don't stick your head out the window, that's some good advice.

A tow truck usually has to come from the opposite direction---and this is a divided highway, with a big drop down to open water or swamp land in between. Turnarounds have been added, but they are blockaded closed and can only be opened by police, so you have to wait for LE and the tow truck to show up, open the turnaround,and wait more time for them to get to you, hook you up and tow you out of there. It literally can take HOURS.

I personally know of two car stalls which resulted in the deaths of all the occupants of the vehicles when they were slammed into by eighteen wheelers traveling at well over the speed limit.

The accidents at WB are too numerous to count. It is in no way you want to have any kind of car trouble there.
Just an example:http://www.bing.com/search?q=accidents+whiskey+bay+exit+i10&FORM=AWRE

Do we know where in the water as it relates to the length of the bridge the bike was found? IOW, was it in the middle of the bridge or closer to one side or the other?
According to chicken fried's correspondence with a journalist that had been on site, they stated the bike was no more than thirty feet from the bank.

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7995973&postcount=187"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - LA LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #17[/ame]

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7995807&postcount=138"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - LA LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #17[/ame]

You probably wouldn't believe how awful it is to

If your car breaks down on the I10. What do you do?
You call a wrecker yes?

Years ago you might spend the night. My step dad was stuck on the bridge for 8 hours once because he was behind an accident involving several cars and a trucker.

Now you just sit and pray it's over soon.

Hi Londonrraine,
I'm new here too and I was wondering the same thing about the bike testing. Fingerprints, dna anything? Even if they can't give specifics it would be hopeful to know they've got something to work with. (I see, answered previously. Thanks)

No. they haven't even stated whether or not anything useful to them has come from the bike, which is driving me crazy. fine if they don't what to tell us WHAT they got, but couldn't they tell us if they did or didn't get ANYTHING??:maddening:

then we've got this rapist on the lose in Raleigh, which could very well be the kidnapper of Mickey, but they don't release the story or his picture until 10 days after he attempted to rape the Raleigh girl. Infuriating!!! He's could be anywhere by now. If they would have released his picture right away. Someone could have spotted him at a gas station, McDonald's, etc. I am truly disappointed and saddened by this

]
Juju, what do you think of fairest' earlier post, Mrs B caught it, I forgot to respond. Not sure she expected me to since I was a bit testy w/ her once...what seems like sooo long ago?
It's an odd, quick post, no posting later??

I wonder if they did find paint on the bike and it wasn't white, hence the less than frantic plea for help in finding the white truck...maybe they really do think it was only a possible witness.

maybe it was black or navy like the paint on the vehicle of the bump and snatch rapist in Raleigh

]
Juju, what do you think of fairest' earlier post, Mrs B caught it, I forgot to respond. Not sure she expected me to since I was a bit testy w/ her once...what seems like sooo long ago?
It's an odd, quick post, no posting later??

I'm sorry but I don't know the post you're referring. Would you quote it or post the page number for me so that I can see it? Thanks

LE will never release the forensic results. Period. Full Stop.

Don't expect it as it won't happen.

That is saved for trial.

LE will never release the forensic results. Period. Full Stop.

Don't expect it as it won't happen.

That is saved for trial.

i get that, but it seems like the right thing to do would be to tell the people, we've got some evidence, we are working hard, we are going to find this guy etc. SOMETHING. i just don't understand it.

also, to anyone in the baton rouge area: there are hardly any fliers here, at least I'm not seeing them. if you have time, try to hang some wherever you go.

Thank you for the "welcome!"

I've been wondering about the bike test results, as it's been about a month now....they must have something. I read that searchers and divers returned to Whiskey Bay last week, and I 'figured' this was a result of whatever the forensics on that bike turned up. Who knows? But they had to have divers return there for some reason.
Poor girl,...I hope and pray for her.

Do we know where in the water as it relates to the length of the bridge the bike was found? IOW, was it in the middle of the bridge or closer to one side or the other?

It was always my speculation it was more towards the middle. But with the current being strong it could have pushed it closer to shore, which would give LEOs the impression he backed down towards the water in his truck, and tossed it in. When It was found, if I remember correctly, they were not able to search as well as they wanted do to the current. After several days it could have pushed it closer to shore. Though I am only speculating on that.

There are personality types that get an adrenaline rush by taking extreme risks that the rest of us would never consider taking. Someone on this board posted a while back that while they were in college they stopped on that bridge and they all got out of the car and danced in the street late at night. He said he realized they were taking a chance, but it must be possible.

I would seriously have to ask how many years ago.

i get that, but it seems like the right thing to do would be to tell the people, we've got some evidence, we are working hard, we are going to find this guy etc. SOMETHING. i just don't understand it.

also, to anyone in the baton rouge area: there are hardly any fliers here, at least I'm not seeing them. if you have time, try to hang some wherever you go.

They may state other info but they will not tell you DNA results, or any other forensic results regarding fibers, paint etc.

The only time you will hear that is at trial.

It is not even up for debate they simply can't release that info....

Criminals have a right to a fair trial. Until a suspect is found and it is released to the defense depending on the laws like in Florida you might get the release of some info but not the best info.

It was always my speculation it was more towards the middle. But with the current being strong it could have pushed it closer to shore, which would give LEOs the impression he backed down towards the water in his truck, and tossed it in. When It was found, if I remember correctly, they were not able to search as well as they wanted do to the current. After several days it could have pushed it closer to shore. Though I am only speculating on that.

I don't think any LEO thinks that the person who tossed the bike backed up towards the water. There is a very sharp dropoff, and if he stopped at the top of the drop off and threw the bike, it probably would have landed on land....I think Chickenfried's theory was the simplest and best explanation, the guy walked around the bridge supports and threw the bike from there.

I miss ChickenFried, btw!

The bike was found directly under the bridge about 30 feet or less from east bank of the Pilot Channel. The water is relatively calm in the PC and there is not much of a current generally.

'Antiquated SOPs and strategies of Silence which have traditionally been used by LE since early in the last century'.. The same strategy utilized by many LEAs across the US that are causing more innocent victims lives lost and mounting cold cases.

"The Silent Epidemic of the Missing/Murdered across the US which now exceeds over 100,000 persons due to squandering the most valuable resource in missing persons investigations; the American public"..

Knock knock LE???:banghead: It is 2012! NOT 1950!!!
This is probably a thought that will drop DEAD in the water! (no pun intended!) WHY? WHY? WHY? In this "digital age" is LE still using telephones, answering machines and phone tag? :maddening:
LE should be stetting up a website for each case of missing people so we the public can give tips to the investigators. They could post 1 or 2 people to evaluate what tips are worth looking into and which are not! All they would have to do is print out the post and hand it off to the investigators to then pursue the lead.
(Like an e-mail)... nothing that would be seen by anyone other than the department...
Yeah they should keep the phone tip line as well... but it sure sounds like it might expedite the process of gathering info! ~ maybe not...:truce:
I know changing things takes work, but in light of cutbacks it just seems more effective to me!
Not easy..not much room to toss w/little shoulder to bridge. Too much traffic, even at night. It's a major h'way..lots of questionable people driving back & forth, cross country. Big risk to take.imo

How hard would it really be to... s l o w d o w n... and toss "whatever" from a moving truck pickup bed or a mini-van from the sliding side door?
maybe too much traffic and risky due to another vehicle witnessing it... :dunno:

If your car breaks down on the I10. What do you do?
You call a wrecker yes?

Many years ago, long before cell phones, I lived in Lafayette for awhile and would travel back and forth to New Orleans pretty frequently. I always had a fear of breaking down on the AB bridge. Sure enough, I left Lafayette one afternoon and broke down a few miles from the on ramp. What to do???? Got out and opened the hood praying that a state trooper would come along. Nope. Just a truck driver who offered to drive me to a service station at the exit. My only other option was to wait for a trooper and risk being knocked off the bridge by an oncoming car. Walking was pretty much out of the question. Fortunately for me the truck driver was a decent person. He brought me to the station, but then I had to travel with the wrecker all the way to the west side and back east to pick up my car. A friend picked me up, and I returned to Lafayette until my car was fixed the next day. I was an attractive 22 year old woman at the time, and very lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa