17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Joe Oliver has a prior history as a TV Anchorman. I think he most recently worked at WESH in Orlando. He had also had gigs with a couple of TV stations in San Francisco, and in Sacramento. He had worked with CNN and, others that I don't remember off the top of my head. So, it is likely that Mr. Hornsby has prior knowledge of Joe Oliver from a TV Personality Point of View. People tend not to say bad things about people in the same arenas.

Also, Joe Oliver had done at least twenty to thirty media interviews prior to his appearance on Lawrence O'Donnell's show. In all the interviews I saw, Joe was changing his story. At first, he claimed to know George Zimmerman for at least ten years. He made no mention of the fact that he worked with him, or how he knew him. But, Joe was very clear that he knew him quite well, until he couldn't answer and stumbled over some of the most simple questions. The press / media in and around Orlando, all knew who Joe was. Why weren't they quizzing him? I think Lawrence did what needed to be done. Joe Oliver was hurting George Zimmerman, badly, imo.

Taaffe hurts him too. Taaffe was not a prior TV personality. Therefore, it is most likely that Hornsby doesn't know him and is not really following this case very closely. Which is fine, he doesn't have to. All my opinion.

Ahh okay. thank you for explaining how you got your impressions, ibnora.

Isn't Hornsby was commenting on this case on local news?

I suppose from a PR point of view, these well-meaning friends of GZ could easily have made some media flub-a-dubs.

But I'm not sure how they have hurt GZ's actual legal case? I don't see that they have. I could be wrong, of course.

Would it be fair to say that an attorney who comments here only has as many "facts" as any other poster?

sure, they might - if they have put the time in to review them.

But, I would think they might have an advantage in knowing which"facts" available are going to be key evidence...

I guess most know Rhornsby is an approved expert here. He spent hours answering questions about Caylee's case. But, IIRC, there were so many facts in that case, there were times posters here knew stuff he didn't know b/c they'd spent so much time with the doc dumps and analyzed the most detailed things (like cell pings) to death. WS was a great document resource for that case.

we just had RHornsby drop in to say the opposite, actually.

All Mr. Hornsby stated was that he believed Oliver did a good job which I believe the majority of us took to be his opinion. (see post 650). Furthermore, he was specifically asked by Dr. Fessel if one of George's friends gets on TV and says well George told me this and George told me that, could the SA make them take the stand and then question them about what George told them from what they said on TV? (see post 658) to which he replied "Yes, they could." (see post 661).

That said, how do you suppose it will look when Oliver is called to the stand? (both of Mr. Hornsby's posts quoted below).

I though his friend, Joe Oliver I believe, did a good job. His brother needs to clean up his <modsnip> look if he wants to be a family representative and advocate for his brother.

Yes, they could.

~jmo~

He may indeed, but the police report says nothing about a broken nose.

I think that might be what he meant when he said "self-reported broken-nose" - if you go back & read his post...

The CBS article took creative license with what I said about my stand your ground cases. I told him I have filed a Motion to Dismiss based upon the Stand Your Ground law in about 15 cases.

I then told him that of those 15, three went to a hearing and I won. I said I never had a full blown hearing on the other cases because they were dismissed for other reasons; such as the witnesses did not show, the state conceded, etc.

He responded, so you won them all then. I said, if you want to look at it that way, I guess I did.

Thanks for dropping by! That sounds exactly like something the media we've come to know and hate would do. :what: I can only wonder why anyone would talk to media about anything, although we know they're more than willing to make things up. :floorlaugh:

Well, Joe Oliver has a prior history as a TV Anchorman. I think he most recently worked at WESH in Orlando. He had also had gigs with a couple of TV stations in San Francisco, and in Sacramento. He had worked with CNN and, others that I don't remember off the top of my head. So, it is likely that Mr. Hornsby has prior knowledge of Joe Oliver from a TV Personality Point of View. People tend not to say bad things about people in the same arenas.

Also, Joe Oliver had done at least twenty to thirty media interviews prior to his appearance on Lawrence O'Donnell's show. In all the interviews I saw, Joe was changing his story. At first, he claimed to know George Zimmerman for at least ten years. He made no mention of the fact that he worked with him, or how he knew him. But, Joe was very clear that he knew him quite well, until he couldn't answer and stumbled over some of the most simple questions. The press / media in and around Orlando, all knew who Joe was. Why weren't they quizzing him? I think Lawrence did what needed to be done. Joe Oliver was hurting George Zimmerman, badly, imo.

Taaffe hurts him too. Taaffe was not a prior TV personality. Therefore, it is most likely that Hornsby doesn't know him and is not really following this case very closely. Which is fine, he doesn't have to. All my opinion.

Joe Oliver also has shown some very bad judgement in the past:
SHORT TAKES : AIDS Disclosure Brings Lawsuit
December 27, 1989|From Times Wire Services

SACRAMENTO — A young mother is suing a Sacramento television station because it allegedly disclosed she had AIDS after promising not to air any information about her personal life.

The suit filed recently in Sacramento Superior Court also claims that KCRA-TV reported the woman's son had tested positive for AIDS at birth, which was not true.

The complaint alleges libel, fraud and invasion of privacy, and seeks an unspecified amount in damages. In addition to the station, the suit names reporter Joe Oliver. KCRA-TV is an NBC affiliate owned by Kelly Broadcasting. The station's attorney, Rick Robinson, said, "We're not in a position to comment until such time as we have reviewed the complaint."

The suit was filed just before the anniversary of the Dec. 24, 1988, airing of a "To Be Somebody" program that featured an interview with the young woman that was part of a report on the Birthing Project, a community program that pairs new young mothers with "big sisters."
http://articles.latimes.com/1989-12-27/entertainment/ca-1204_1_big-sisters
:what:

He may indeed, but the police report says nothing about a broken nose.

Rhornsby says "self-reported" when speaking of the broken nose in his article. I referenced the head injuries and grass on the jacket as being on the police report.
But we do know that George Zimmerman has a (self reported) broken nose, a cut on the back of his head, and grass stains on his back.

http://blog.richardhornsby.com/

Only to state (according to the Grio which I'm not sure yet if we are allowed to consider them MSM) that he was no longer acting as Zimmerman's media consultant since Sonner hired Uhrig so in essence, he hasn't been seen or heard from since April 4, 2012 at 12:39 p.m.

~jmo~

A bit OT but isn't the Grio an offshoot of NBC, an MSM source?

Does anyone know how long GZ was on phone with non-emergency when he turned and walked back to his truck?

I've got this for the time up to when the dispatcher told him not to follow:
02:06:65 **** he's running.
Dispatcher: He's running? Which way is he running?
02:09:47 (Car door alarm?)
Zimmerman: Down towards the other entrance to the
neighborhood. (car door slam)
02:14:18
Dispatcher: Which entrance is that that he's heading towards?
Zimmerman: The back entrance…****ing (unintelligible)
02:22:36
19:11:59 SUBJ NOW RUNNING TOWARDS BACK ENTRANCE OF COMPLEX
Dispatcher: Are you following him?
Zimmerman: Yeah (wind noises)
02:25:20
19:12:00 Trayvon receives call from girlfriend
Dispatcher: Ok, we don't need you to do that.
Zimmerman: Ok
Dispatcher: Alright sir what is your name?
Zimmerman: George…He ran. (wind noises continue)
02:38:14

The times in military format are from the police log in the initial report. The time in minute:second:?? are from my notes of times from the recording downloaded from the Sanford site - all times are for the end of the statements preceding them.

All Mr. Hornsby stated was that he believed Oliver did a good job which I believe the majority of us took to be his opinion. (see post 650). Furthermore, he was specifically asked by Dr. Fessel if one of George's friends gets on TV and says well George told me this and George told me that, could the SA make them take the stand and then question them about what George told them from what they said on TV? (see post 658) to which he replied "Yes, they could." (see post 661).

That said, how do you suppose it will look when Oliver is called to the stand? (both of Mr. Hornsby's posts quoted below).

~jmo~

You'll have to forgive me here b/c I haven't seen all of JO's interviews and some here may have. Did Oliver discuss some facts about the case - and said that he had those facts from speaking with George - that we believe would be damaging?

From the interview with LO & CB there on MSNBC, I didn't see any case facts he brought up. Mostly LO & CB were telling HIM things he didn't know...

Taafee - he has some flubs they might be interested in clarifying? But I think defense could easily just clean it all up on cross.

I did not agree with many of their inferences such as CB's assertion that someone can't be a good friend if one does not know all of a person's criminal history, etc.

I know what you're saying, but... I agree with the points Lawrence O'Donnell and Friends were making to Joe Oliver...

A guy I grew up with seems like such a nice gentleman now. I moved out of town long ago so only see him on holidays. He's always so nice whenever I'm back home. Fun to hang out with.

I've told people what an upstanding guy he is, thinking he was more mature or dignified than a lot of guys in our old neighborhood.

But then I found out recently that he has a 15-year history of beating up his girlfriends. One of them, he fought with outdoors, where various neighbors eye-witnessed it.

He eventually mentioned one of those incidents to me, downplaying it. He told me this as part of explaining why his current girlfriend's family / grown children hate his guts.

Well duh: You've been violent with their mother!? :what:

My point: A year ago I'd have gone on Lawrence O'Donnell and defended him to the end -- clearly not knowing jack. That's exactly what Joe Oliver is doing. Sounds like he mostly sees GZ at occasional family functions, about the same I "knew" the guy I grew up with.

And Joe Oliver quit his JOB to do media for GZ?! I now think JO just wants to be in the limelight. Especially when he said GZ wouldn't return his calls.

He was pushing hard to get on TV (on GZ's behalf). GZ nor his attorneys asked JO to do this.

JO says he's not getting paid to do PR for GZ, and quit his job for this purpose. This man probably is trying to set himself up to get a book deal.

I just caught up again and I want to thank Mr. Hornsby for taking the time to come here and post some really informative posts! As always with Mr. Hornsby!

I've also noticed a lot of screennames popping in and I am really happy they are getting involved in Trayvon's case. I know it's hard!

And to all the new posters, thank you for your wonderful contributions and to the ones who are holding off on joining... Come on in!

ETA: I'm playing with "fonts" and I don't think I like "courier?"

I think that might be what he meant when he said "self-reported broken-nose" - if you go back & read his post...

You may be totally correct, and I am not arguing the point.

However, that just reminded me of something else that I have been meaning to post.

We have seen posted ad nauseum GZ's original mugshot from what, 7 years ago? And the smiling picture with the tie from do we know when?

And most recently, his booking mugshot and the video from the hearing.

In all those images his nose looks exactly the same to me.

So to all the medical experts here on WS, is it possible to have a healed broken nose that looks exactly the same as the pre-broken nose?

I know what you're saying, but... I agree with the points Lawrence O'Donnell and Friends were making to Joe Oliver...

A guy I grew up with seems like such a nice gentleman now. I moved out of town long ago so only see him on holidays. He's always so nice whenever I'm back home. Fun to hang out with.

I've told people what an upstanding guy he is, thinking he was more mature or dignified than a lot of guys in our old neighborhood.

But then I found out recently that he has a 15-year history of beating up his girlfriends. One of them, he fought with outdoors, where various neighbors eye-witnessed it.

He eventually mentioned one of those incidents to me, downplaying it. He told me this as part of explaining why his current girlfriend's family / grown children hate his guts.

Well duh: You been violent with their mother!? :what:

My point: A year ago I'd have gone on Lawrence O'Donnell and defended him to the end -- clearly not knowing jack. That's what Joe Oliver is doing though. Sounds like he mostly sees GZ at occasional family functions, about the same I "knew" the guy I grew up with.

And Joe Oliver quit his JOB to do media for GZ?! I now think JO just wants to be in the limelight. Especially when he said GZ wouldn't return his calls.

He was pushing hard to get on TV (on GZ's behalf). GZ nor his attorneys asked JO to do this.

JO says he's not getting paid to do PR for GZ, and quit his job for this purpose. This man probably is trying to set himself up to get a book deal.

I just want to say that I really enjoy your posts! You really know how to explain what I feel.

Wow.

I just watched this interview with Joe Oliver, that I have never seen before:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/lawrence...eorge-zimmerman-pal-joe-oliver-epic-grilling/

(not sure if this site qualifies as MSM, but the clips I'm referring to are definitely from MSM)

and I have to say, with all due respect to Mr. Hornsby, if he thinks Joe Oliver was "good"...

:what:

First of all he won't even answer the question of whether he first knew GZ socially or from work...

then he contradicts himself on whether or not he knew GZ took anger management classes...

and more.

IMO JMO and all.

I agree with Mr. Hornsby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads