Student Wants to Take Grandma to the Prom but Principal says NO

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Whaaaat? The school principal said NO when a young man wanted to bring Grandma to the prom.

It's very sweet for this young man want to take his Grandma to the prom don't you think?

http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/03/letnannygotoprom_alabama_princ.html

[FONT=&quot]Following the popularity of the post, Catherine said the Eufaula City Schools Board of Education reached out to Maine to further explain the decision. Their reasoning was that if Maine was allowed to take his grandmother to prom, it could open the door for other students to bring similar dates as a joke and turn the school into a mockery.[/FONT]

What do you think?

Attachments

• Prom.jpg
    Prom.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Prom 3.jpg
    Prom 3.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 45
From your link:

"Safety of students and staff is the first and most important of the many tasks of a school administrator. For the 10 years I have been high school principal, we have denied requests each year from students asking to bring older dates to prom. We do not chance leaving any stone unturned when it comes to safety. Most high schools have an age limit for prom attendees."

Why can't they set in their rules something about family members attending. What safety issues is granny going to cause?

I say let Granny attend! I have to commend the grandson for wanting to invite his grandmother.

jmo

Translation: We are scared that an elderly person will somehow get hurt on school grounds and we will be liable financially.

Very sad. It is a sweet gesture this kid was trying to make and now it won't be realized.

Spoke to the prom coordinator for our district. Not only would Grandma be welcome but her ticket would be paid by the district as a chaperone!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Let Grandma attend the prom with her grandson. I fail to see what sort of threat she poses to the students.

Take grandma to the prom and let the school end up looking like the asses they are. JMO

Translation: We are scared that an elderly person will somehow get hurt on school grounds and we will be liable financially.

Very sad. It is a sweet gesture this kid was trying to make and now it won't be realized.

I understand what you are saying. Anyone can get hurt on school grounds though, so I fail to see the reasoning. imo

Oh, my. I see no reason why Grandma can't go to the prom with her grandson. Ridiculous.

I understand what you are saying. Anyone can get hurt on school grounds though, so I fail to see the reasoning. imo

Just wanted to clarify, not agreeing with the school's stance. My firm handles some school law and I recognize the variety of CYA well IMO.

I personally think the school should simmer down and let gramma go to prom. It is a sweet thing grandson is attempting to pull off and could have resulted in some pretty good feel good coverage by the local press had it been handled differently. Instead the school looks bad when they could have shined in this moment. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Told DH about this - his response--"This is the world we live in!"

"Safety of students and staff is the first and most important of the many tasks of a school administrator. For the 10 years I have been high school principal, we have denied requests each year from students asking to bring older dates to prom. We do not chance leaving any stone unturned when it comes to safety. Most high schools have an age limit for prom attendees."

Warning: Rant ahead

If safety is their excuse do they ban little old ladies from all on campus events? Can't attend a basketball or football game? What about men? Is their a safe age cutoff?

Yes, I know, prom is different but that sounds like more ** from the administration.

MOO

Just wanted to clarify, not agreeing with the school's stance. My firm handles some school law and I recognize the variety of CYA well IMO.

I personally think the school should simmer down and let gramma go to prom. It is a sweet thing grandson is attempting to pull off and could have resulted in some pretty good feel good coverage by the local press had it been handled differently. Instead the school looks bad when they could have shined in this moment. Just my thoughts on the matter.

I understood what you were saying, and wasn't picking on you.

The school's rule is attendees have to be students or younger than 20 years of age. I think that's a good rule because that way they don't have a 27yo (for instance) taking a 17yo to the prom. There's no way a school wants to support something like that. Should an exception be made for family members? For dates older than a certain age?

I think it's sweet he wants to give her a prom. Maybe he and some friends can get together and have their own prom, which is a fun thing actually (I had an anti-prom), but in the end there's no good reason to ignore a valid rule - one that exists to protects students.

Warning: Rant ahead

If safety is their excuse do they ban little old ladies from all on campus events? Can't attend a basketball or football game? What about men? Is their a safe age cutoff?

Yes, I know, prom is different but that sounds like more ** from the administration.

MOO

I don't think it's that kind of safety issue. Grandparents attend plays, sports events, graduations, etc., all the time.

Most people don't think a 29 year old should be taking a 17 year old to the prom. But it seems common sense could prevail when it comes to letting a grandson honor his grandmother.

Safety seems to be a cop out when obviously elderly people attend events at the school frequently. MOO

Most people don't think a 29 year old should be taking a 17 year old to the prom. But it seems common sense could prevail when it comes to letting a grandson honor his grandmother.

Safety seems to be a cop out when obviously elderly people attend events at the school frequently. MOO

If it were up to me I would say let them go, but I understand the school's position and the reason they have the rule. I've also been on the other side of a school and its rules so I've experienced how inflexible they can be.

I think the school should let her come as a chaperone!

What a sweet gesture from a lovely young man. And who is to say Grandma is elderly? She could be a younger Grandma in her mid to late 40's or early 50's. So safety in that case would definitely not be an issue.
I agree let Grandma go to the Prom with her grandson as his chaperone. Maybe she could sign a waiver of some sort to satisfy the school's concerns?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back