GUILTY IL - Rita Crundwell for embezzlement, Dixon, 2012

Again, not giving this woman a pass if indeed she has done wrong, but I do believe BOTH sides of the pancake know how to use the techniques of "chaos and confusion" to their advantage. I also know, from the vantage point of one side of the pancake, that it is indeed possible to get a ham sandwich indicted if the US attorney wants that to happen. Just saying.....

I must say, I do have questions...

The feds were alerted to this "chaos and confusion" back in September, right? Then, someone somewhere decided, at some point, to sit back and wait...I guess to see what else she'd do, or while they were getting further documents as part of their continuing investigation.............enough to where she was "allowed" (via inaction) to continue to "misappropriate" to the alleged tune of what, about $3million between October and March. If I were a Dixon citizen, I'd be wondering who picks up that tab, LOL.

If they've got all these docs from 2006 to current, why only the one charge of $175K? I know, I know, they can add charges later, but little ol' me would be wondering why there wasn't a little more thrown at her by now. It's been 6-7 months in the making.

I'm willing to watch this play out, I find it interesting. I'm wondering - was she THAT good that she was able to do this at such a high $$$ level and for such a long time, and no one else was aware of it? Hmmm.

Some of the search warrant info is discussed in this article.

And in my post #26 above, I mentioned that there was a Hummer towed behind her motorhome...yep, they got that too.

During the execution of the search warrants, it came out that she had 2 personal loans out to 2 other City employees, and another loan (small) to a non-city employee.

http://www.saukvalley.com/2012/04/24/feds-release-fruit-of-crundwell-search-warrants/ag4kfyu/

Feds release fruit of Crundwell search warrantsFire chief, city engineer got personal loans from disgraced comptroller

DIXON – Two city employees who received personal loans from embattled comptroller Rita A. Crundwell said Tuesday they believed her money came from her horse business.

Crundwell was arrested April 17 on a federal wire fraud charge; that day, the FBI seized documents and assets from her office at City Hall; her Dixon home and horse ranch; her company, RC Quarter Horses Inc.; and another horse ranch in Beloit, Wis.

Wonderful! Not only was she taking money, she was loaning it out to others? Wonder at what interest rate? How nice :(

Wonderful! Not only was she taking money, she was loaning it out to others? Wonder at what interest rate? How nice :(

I think one of the loan's was at 4% for a 10 year loan, if I read it (quickly) correctly, LOL.

I guess this is one of the reasons people thought she was so "nice."

I'm really thinking every city, county, state and federal government and their programs be audited.

What a ripoff.....

Also, I'll bet more shoes drop on this case.

DIXON, Ill. — If Rita Crundwell stole $53 million from taxpayers here, as federal authorities claim, the former comptroller’s discreet spending and success as a horse breeder helped dampen local suspicions.

Many people in Dixon, from the mayor to a bartender at one of Crundwell’s hangouts, thought the 59-year-old’s accumulation of horses and property in the town of 15,733 people was the result of her breeding-business savvy.

But federal investigations into her assets revealed hundreds of horses in 14 states, luxury homes and cars, jewelry and other high-dollar purchases.

“I didn’t know anything about the $2 million RV,” Dixon Mayor Jim Burke said of another of Crundwell’s assets. “I’ve since learned about some pretty lavish parties she had at horse shows in Florida with that big motor home and her expensive horse trailers.”

http://qctimes.com/news/local/b5403d32-c8a8-11e1-8a04-001a4bcf887a.html

Heh, heh....... while many cities are experiencing financial woes Dixon will finally be getting a raise it seems now that Rita will not be sticking her hands in the till. It sounds as if some of the sales will be in the near future. I might go just to watch and see what kind of money they are able to bring in.

Much local speculation that there is a plea deal in the works, explaining the fact that they are already gearing up on these sales. I have to wonder what kind of a deal they might make with the devil...........

From above link:

Officials started showing off Crudwell's massive homes on Friday with the hope of recouping some of the money Crundwell owes the city. While Crundwell was ordered to pay full restitution, it appears unlikely that the sale of her assets will come close to restoring the $53 million she was charged with stealing from the city of Dixon.

So far, authorities have raised roughly $7.4 million from selling her horses, vehicles and custom motor home. Meanwhile, her jewelry is valued at about half a million dollars

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-53-million-auctioned-off.html#ixzz2EVtb5Nr2
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

They also plan to sell off her two Dixon homes, her ranch, her home in Englewood, Florida and some 80 acres of prime farmland.

Her main house is expected to fetch a tidy sum, though authorities would not say exactly how much the house is worth, hoping to get the most out of the property as they can.

To get a sense of just how grand the estate was, the massive master bedroom - complete with leather and cowhide couches, a 62-inch television and a lot office - is said to be as big as of the more modest homes in the small farming town.

‘This is not the way a lot of people live around here,’ said Jason Wojdylo, a chief inspector with the Marshals Service's asset forfeiture division. ‘It was a lavish lifestyle ... [and] while the city of Dixon was closing its [public] pools because it couldn't afford to operate them, the defendant built a pool complete with sauna ... money was not spared.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-53-million-auctioned-off.html#ixzz2EVu13xA1
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Witnesses testify at Crundwell sentencing hearing

FBI agent Patrick Garry testified about his claim that, in addition to the money she was accused of stealing from the City of Dixon, Crundwell also took money from accounts belonging to Dixon’s four sister cities located all over the world.

Garry said he became aware of the sister city accounts in an April 2012 search of Crundwell’s home, during which he found 33 checks totaling just over $25,000.

http://wqad.com/2013/02/14/fbi-crundwell-stole-more-money/

(Video at link. She certainly looks quite different now that she can't afford to be so pampered!)

Witnesses testify at Crundwell sentencing hearing

FBI agent Patrick Garry testified about his claim that, in addition to the money she was accused of stealing from the City of Dixon, Crundwell also took money from accounts belonging to Dixon’s four sister cities located all over the world.

Garry said he became aware of the sister city accounts in an April 2012 search of Crundwell’s home, during which he found 33 checks totaling just over $25,000.

http://wqad.com/2013/02/14/fbi-crundwell-stole-more-money/

(Video at link. She certainly looks quite different now that she can't afford to be so pampered!)
A link from your link (her sentence):

http://wqad.com/2013/02/14/crundwell-sentenced/

And she still has 60 outstanding charges filed in the county.

I still can't get over how much money she stole and how long it took to be noticed. It is just mind blowing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back