Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope we find out if he had schizoprenia or a personality disorder. Statements about him indicate that he was giving people the silent treatment as far back as second grade. Going into withdrawal as a teen and only his mom being able able to get him to respond doesn't seem like schizoprenia. If he was really catatonic it doesn't seem like he'd respond to her either. Would people with Aspergers, who had therapy all thru childhood go around acting like that, or was it learned attention seeking manipulation just to get his mom to school and maybe take him home?

BBM. Yes. No. Depends on the patient. My son (maybe an Aspie, maybe just classically autistic) has had therapy for years. He is overly verbal, and has random outbursts. My dad (definitely an Aspie) would, still at the age of 50, shut down and stop speaking when he was overwhelmed. He did not have therapy as a kid, due to the Asperger's dx not really existing in the US when he was a kid, but he did throughout his teens and adult life.

Denial is a huge problem for families of any income level, and since well-to-do people are human too, they refuse to believe sometimes that their children are changing for the worse. Parents always want to have hope where their children are concerned, and often these problems exacerbate while the kid is away at college or in a new situation. So the parents are probably as shocked as everyone else.

I don't think that's the case with Adam Lanza and his mother - I do think she saw warning signs in him, which is why she told his babysitter not to turn her back on him. I have avoided this topic because I have strong opinions about it, but truly it is nuts to me that she put guns in the house with a child who was having so many problems. Not because she should have realized he would kill her or hurt others, but because he might have killed himself on any given day. It's just really counterintuitive that you would have even one gun in the house with a troubled child, whatever their problems.

For problems like schizophrenia, which I have seen first hand with a relative, sometimes the first symptoms just seem like ordinary teenage rebellion. Getting into trouble for drinking underage is almost the norm in our society, but for young people who have the onset of depression or something else it can become a chronic problem, even in the best of caring families. All teens sometimes have bad judgment so most parents never jump to the conclusion that they are in a downward spiral.

That's why drug addiction, alcoholism, and violence can still happen even in cookie cutter perfect neighborhoods.

But impoverished teens do also commit these types of crimes. However lack of money or connections means that they are incarcerated instead of receiving any kind of medical treatment.

Our jail system is full of people with undiagnosed mental, medical, or developmental problems and is one of the scandals of our society. States are trying to come up with new plans involving not much in funding, which is hampering the process.

Also the privatization of the jail system means that inmates are given the least amount of care possible on tight budgets, and even local officials may not understand the extent of the problem.

You have to have a really good attorney in most states just to get a psychiatric evaluation, and for poor inmates that is not a reality.

Generally, I have read mentally ill people are a danger to themselves and possibly family members. They are at more riskmfor violence if they have a history of violence or do drugs.

Addiction can really tear up families. It causes so much trouble. I wonder if Adam Lanza had any substance abuse.

With the latest article http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Adam-Lanza-s-online-gaming-history-probed-4141582.php about Adam killing his Mother The car was owned by Nancy Lanza, the killer's mother. She was found dead in her bed with four .22-caliber bullet wounds in the face, a source said. A hunting rifle found at the home is believed to have been used in that murder. All of the guns found were legally purchased by Lanza's mother, I am more convinced that Adam was resentful towards Nancy and the move.

Different friends of Nancy's would bring up about her country-girl, New Hampshire upbringing. Also, the town in New Hampshire that the Lanza's were married in and grew up in, had a famous dignitary, a personage who signed the Declaration of Independence. It's the fitting in part that may have also contributed to the resentment from Adam, his Mom was different, too.

Nancy doesn't sound like a Socialite and given the reputation that one hears about the upper classes of Connecticut, it would be comparable to the first class passengers of the Titanic.

Resentment---Resentment (also called ranklement or bitterness) is the experience of a negative emotion (anger or hatred, for instance)[1] felt as a result of a real or imagined wrong done.
Resentment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Resentment is a common trait I have seen in criminals, especially with rampage killers, terrorists, etc.

Merry Christmas

A new member shared with me that our phony uncle Lanza has been arrested and is currently incarcerated.
I don't want to reopen the discussion or link any of his "work" here, but rather I wanted to close the door on this <unusual person> and pass it along. :)

Here is the inmate locator.

http://www.chesco.org/index.aspx?NID=415

Thanks to Supernovanic

Nancy and Peter built a house next to the house she grew up in, may have been a sign of why the first grade was selected at Sandy Hook Elementary, Adam didn't appreciate the move.

Adam was out of his comfort zone. Moving to Connecticut and all the stranger's who were not his relatives, was overwhelming to Adam.

Was Nancy looking at going back to New Hampshire to help Adam and somehow he got confused and was hurt and angry about everything and so retaliated to send a message to the World at large?

Was this the voice that everyone would finally hear, the attention he neglected, by his shooting spree? Was this his depression, the move from New Hampshire and then shortly after, his father moves out of the house?

My understanding is that NANCY loved those children in the first grade, and I think he took tem out because of it. :(

Generally, I have read mentally ill people are a danger to themselves and possibly family members. They are at more riskmfor violence if they have a history of violence or do drugs.

Addiction can really tear up families. It causes so much trouble. I wonder if Adam Lanza had any substance abuse.
JMO

Adam was playing the most violent video games for hours.
If you think that a beer commercial on a ball game pays millions of dollars for one minute to reach many. Then think what hours of violent games will do to the mind.
Now how about hours of violent games on the mind of an imbalanced boy?

WHILE we are all addressing the gun issue.
I think it is time to address violent games too.

Sorry if it was posted before... (i wasn't here for few days)

Adam Lanza's online gaming history probed

Michael P. Mayko

Updated 7:45 am, Monday, December 24, 2012

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Adam-Lanza-s-online-gaming-history-probed-4141582.php

It is known that he played hours and hours of violent games. IMO there in lies a huge problem in itself.
I can&#8217;t imagine that fantasy and reality did not blur for this Mentally challenged kid.
HOWEVER based on the following paragraph from this article it tells me that he committed suicide after hearing the police on the premises.... HE KNEW that what he has done was wrong.

"Upon hearing police sirens and officers smashing windows to enter the school, Lanza ducked into another room and committed suicide with one of the two handguns he carried, a source said."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article...ming-history-probed-4141582.php#ixzz2G5M161Mw

My understanding is that NANCY loved those children in the first grade, and I think he took tem out because of it. :(

I am still not sure Nancy ever volunteered at the school. There is so much contradictory information on that.

I am still not sure Nancy ever volunteered at the school. There is so much contradictory information on that.

"Adam's mother Nancy would drop him off, then sit in the next room while Jennifer worked with him"

http://www.ydr.com/crime/ci_22239366/teacher-talks-about-adam-lanza-she-knew

It's JMO but...
Based on this description, I think she MAY have attended elementary school WITH him. How weird would that be for a young boy?

Having mom go to school with him everyday... when all the other kids are sent to school alone.

IMO there was some strange co-dependency going on there.
Nothing to support my opinion at this time. -other than the high school teachers affirmation.

Someone thought she was employed or taught at the elementary school.

I want to know WHO thought that and WHY???

A little OT, but I know little about DD of schiz./ PD, etc.
I keep wondering why these mass killers, CO, VA Tech, Columbine, all seem to be from well healed and educated families that could have provided much more psych help to their sons. I haven't followed this in the past, but I am wondering, why don't we hear about 20 something males from impoverished backgrounds commiting these atrocities? I would love anyones input. Merry Christmas my WS friends.

Thank you. I think this is why it is impossible for us and wrong to turn our backs, stick our heads in the sand and " Stop Speculating" about AL and NL and BlahBlahBlah as so many people keep imploring. Why should we stop? We have to ask questions and demand answers, connect the threads, make a map, observe the trend of teens turned killers. If only the dear angels in Newtown would have given their lives to create a sea change in our culture and end the violence.

The street gang bangers are graduating from the DOC and the white kids are turning into mass killers using super anti personel weapons at HS Colleges and now Elementary schools.
JMO These are not issues of first or 2nd amendments rights. These are of higher orders - justice, domestic tranquility & general welfare.

I would love to see a thread here on WS where we can we have a speculation discussion?
Many people are making important contributions. JustSayin'

Also- I wonder if our own WSers on the KC anthony case who cracked her hard drive would be able to figure out AL's computers.

Bless you all and Merry Christmas
Thinking of the victims in Sandyhook
and the Missing and victims everywhere especially the case so dear to my heart.
:heartluv:

It seems that the only way we show compassion to each other is during a tragedy. We have to as a society start watching our children's behavior from birth until they leave home. If they are having problems ask for help, a lot of people are embarrassed to admit their children are having mental problems. That needs to change. Times have changed even from 10 yrs ago. Everything is go go go. We need to stop, look and listen. The so called popular children need to extend themselves to the ones who don't know how to blend in. We all need to realize we are all different, and we are all human.

I agree gngr-snap, but many parents when their child is different, get very protective and have expectations of schools. But i believe as someone said in a previos thread, the adult future of these children is most important.
The woman i know with a daughter was at the school often and never thought the school did enough. At 14 the the girl was put on the pill. last time i socilized at the mothers place, the then 12 year old child was crawling over people like a 5 yr old, it was uncomfortable, i asked -have you not discussed her respect for her body, and other peoples space, "well no cause well she has adhd and dos'nt understand" duh

My child did not go to special classes, he went to a mental health councellor twice a week alone,(i went seperatly) we learned ,self soothing, every action has a reaction, you are responsible for your choices. I could not put him in time out, he was out the window or wrecking, could not take stuff away, because he would flip, so it was bear hugs till he calmed(i was black and blue) and we talked and read the handouts they gave me, " i say see this is what it says, your going to be perfect now" then we would laugh. It was 4yrs to 10yrs then we moved, i thought it might be a problem, but it was good, before he was a problem child, he even new that some kids did the negative attention thing. I did put him in an alterative school for troubled kids, they are heavy into social skills. He told me "sometimes i don't think like myself" i say i understand it might always be this way. what more can i say?

I think Adam would of been better off in a trailer park, because of the basic stimulli of voices, cars driving by - and of course the nosey neibours.
i don't think A was doing drugs unless mom was supplying him, can't see him haggling with the local drug dealer.
Nancy was antisocial, i'm like that, i am really chatty-taught my child- watch this- just get people talking about themselves- and truly i am interested in how people deal with life, cause i learn social skills that way. she let no-one in her home, she has no close friends. adam, his mother took the charge of controlling life, her face ,her mouth -words-voice- well i can see the face shots.
my child plays the same games, but ya know i don't think any one talked with adam about that this is not real- as in you don't drive with your thumbs
JMO mom said i know how to deal with Adam and bro and dad accepted that.

Also- I wonder if our own WSers on the KC anthony case who cracked her hard drive would be able to figure out AL's computers.

Snipped and bolded by me.

AL physically smashed his hard drive. I know someone will correct me if I am wrong, but the investigators in Florida simply didn't bother to look at the history from firefox - only IE - on the Anthony's computer. Big, big difference.

I agree gngr-snap, but many parents when their child is different, get very protective and have expectations of schools. But i believe as someone said in a previos thread, the adult future of these children is most important.
The woman i know with a daughter was at the school often and never thought the school did enough. At 14 the the girl was put on the pill. last time i socilized at the mothers place, the then 12 year old child was crawling over people like a 5 yr old, it was uncomfortable, i asked -have you not discussed her respect for her body, and other peoples space, "well no cause well she has adhd and dos'nt understand" duh

My child did not go to special classes, he went to a mental health councellor twice a week alone,(i went seperatly) we learned ,self soothing, every action has a reaction, you are responsible for your choices. I could not put him in time out, he was out the window or wrecking, could not take stuff away, because he would flip, so it was bear hugs till he calmed(i was black and blue) and we talked and read the handouts they gave me, " i say see this is what it says, your going to be perfect now" then we would laugh. It was 4yrs to 10yrs then we moved, i thought it might be a problem, but it was good, before he was a problem child, he even new that some kids did the negative attention thing. I did put him in an alterative school for troubled kids, they are heavy into social skills. He told me "sometimes i don't think like myself" i say i understand it might always be this way. what more can i say?

I think Adam would of been better off in a trailer park, because of the basic stimulli of voices, cars driving by - and of course the nosey neibours.
i don't think A was doing drugs unless mom was supplying him, can't see him haggling with the local drug dealer.
Nancy was antisocial, i'm like that, i am really chatty-taught my child- watch this- just get people talking about themselves- and truly i am interested in how people deal with life, cause i learn social skills that way. she let no-one in her home, she has no close friends. adam, his mother took the charge of controlling life, her face ,her mouth -words-voice- well i can see the face shots.
my child plays the same games, but ya know i don't think any one talked with adam about that this is not real- as in you don't drive with your thumbs
BBM
It is your opinion that finances had to do with this and you are certainly free to speculate as wildly as you want to, but there is absolutely no evidence that Nancy was anti-social. Quite the opposite, actually. There is enough misinformation swirling around this case as it is.

Snipped and bolded by me.

AL physically smashed his hard drive. I know someone will correct me if I am wrong, but the investigators in Florida simply didn't bother to look at the history from firefox - only IE - on the Anthony's computer. Big, big difference.

I think it's because they got the shooter. If there was a mystery here then they would do whatever they could to find out who did it. What needs to be done now is put a community back together.

Thank you for sharing! I think you are a very hands on mom and I suspect a very good one! Appreciate your thoughtful posts!

BBM
Respectfully, on what are you basing your opinion that Nancy was antisocial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie