TN - Gail Nowacki Palmgren, 44, Signal Mountain, 30 April 2011 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful day, beautiful area......there should be so many volunteering, imo. Take some time and a drive with the kids ...to try and find the jeep.

No prob! The facts and timeline have been confusing in the past 24 hrs. I think some....including me are feeling anxious about the search today.

I'm wondering if the searchers have been instructed to mark possible area if items of clothing or things that just may be connected are found?

Again, I do apologize.. Thursday and Friday after the storms were a blur for me..And to some degree still are..
We left out of our home on Saturday morning at 3:30 am by flashlight to take the shuttle to Atlanta's airport.

Is it right that we now know she simply gave those passports to a friend for safekeeping? Was it just her passport or the passports for the children too? Of course regardless...it could just as easily be argued she was trying to keep HIM from taking the children out of the country. Right?

Aren't children sometimes included on their parents' passports? This is what I recall but it was about 13 years ago this was true--things may have changed.

Is it right that we now know she simply gave those passports to a friend for safekeeping? Was it just her passport or the passports for the children too? Of course regardless...it could just as easily be argued she was trying to keep HIM from taking the children out of the country. Right?

Don't think it was ever specified whose passports SB had, but I would think that keeping the kids passport from him could be argued on her behalf too. ;)

O/T
Callie Starnes
Correction: Williams went missing from her East Ridge home. Her car and body were found in Sequatchie County.
calliestarnes Callie Starnes
Hitchcock says Williams' body was found in wooded area. Too early to tell if foul play is involved. Authorities on scene.
BREAKING: Missing Sequatchie woman, Nancy Williams, just found dead. Sheriff Hitchcock confirms.

Why do we keep calling it a DV call doesn't that stand for domestic violence? I thought they were all verbal altercation calls.

Weren't they in the affidavit?

ETA: May 6, 2011 - Matthew Palmgren files a motion for exclusive use and possession of the couple's home. He also files a restraining order against his wife, and a request for temporary custody of the couple's children. In his affidavit, Matthew Palmgren says his wife had suffered "bouts of depression," was paranoid in days before her disappearance, and had changed pin numbers to bank accounts that contain hundreds of thousands of dollars. He adds he was concerned his wife might try to take their children out of the country.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14669942

He said he proposed to meet Mrs. Palmgren at the residence on April 30, but when he arrived she was gone, having left the two children "by themselves without any supervision."

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_200931.asp

That was in the local media, just curious with abandonment statements if anyone had actually seen the affidavit?

Why do we keep calling it a DV call doesn't that stand for domestic violence? I thought they were all verbal altercation calls.

Is there a distinction between the two? Is DV necessarily physical? Seems like verbal altercations could very well lead to physical violence.

O/T
Callie Starnes
Correction: Williams went missing from her East Ridge home. Her car and body were found in Sequatchie County.
Hitchcock says Williams' body was found in wooded area. Too early to tell if foul play is involved. Authorities on scene.
BREAKING: Missing Sequatchie woman, Nancy Williams, just found dead. Sheriff Hitchcock confirms.

She was actually from East Ridge, East of downtown Chattanooga, but found in Sequatchie County, on the other side of Signal Mountain. Hopefully, there was no foul play. She supposedly had headaches when she left Monday, her car was found in Sequatchie County (claims were she knew the area well) and parked in the same place as of Monday (based on GPS) and hiked a lot.
What a shame!

Is there a distinction between the two? Is DV necessarily physical? Seems like verbal altercations could very well lead to physical violence.

They call it a domestic dispute call here!

In reference to myself I refer to the call on the 29th as being a DV call due to the fact she was given a number/s to a safe house/s..JMHO

ETA.. I was married for 35 years when my husband passed and I cannot even begin to count the many verbal altercations we had over a 35 year period but not once were the police ever called out to settle our verbal disagreements....JMHO

Here's one definition I found from a quick google:

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Domestic+Violence

Any abusive, violent, coercive, forceful, or threatening act or word inflicted by one member of a family or household on another can constitute domestic violence. [bbm]

I think it's fair to say that "simple" verbal arguments seldom lead to police calls. I'm betting that over the course of their marriage, there were more than 3 verbal arguments. Something had to have made these different, in order for 911 calls to take place. And... just because "verbal altercation" was all that was recorded in the police report, we cannot assume no more took place than that, although depending on what was said and how it was said, that could be enough to justify a call for help. It's possible that once the police arrived, nobody wanted to admit to more than a war of words. Typically, in my experience, a woman calls for help because she needs an out-of-control situation to be diffused. Often, all that is necessary is the call and the police presence to accomplish that goal.

I've read several times on the forum that "no crime" was committed. That may or may not be true. Police can only report based on the evidence they have, which may or may not present ALL the facts.

Let's not forget that Gail was reported to have had a black eye the weekend of 4/10. Surely no one really believes her excuse of having run into something.

I think there is a distinction. One can lead to the other but they are not exactly the same. DV is a crime, and a verbal altercation is not always a crime, nor does it necessarily say threats took place. We don't know, exactly what happened. Domestic dispute is what is said here too when physical violence did not take place. When I read DV calls, I take it for granted that there was violence or threat of violence.

I'm not defending MP or saying no DV took place. I just kinda want to go on what we know as far as those phone calls when we are talking factually, and it doesn't sound like that is how they were classified by police.

Domestic Abuse

Domestic abuse includes physical and mental abuse. Common tactics used by abusers include dominance, humiliation, isolation, threats, intimidation and denial or blame and these tactics can be cyclical and form a pattern. A victim has a right to walk away from his or her abuser. However, the fear of retaliation or physical altercation may hinder a spouse who seeks escape. The National Domestic Violence Hotline provides service to all 50 states to provide help in these situations.

http://www.divorcelawfirms.com/lega...asics/how-can-i-safely-divorce-abusive-spouse

when the police (NY) were called about my ex screaming at me, they handed me a pamphlet for dv victims, sent me to my mothers house with kids for night. refusing to do anything else even though he broke things including the front door, threatened my friends, loaded a rifle etc.

I think there is a distinction. One can lead to the other but they are not exactly the same. DV is a crime, and a verbal altercation is not always a crime, nor does it necessarily say threats took place. We don't know, exactly what happened. Domestic dispute is what is said here too when physical violence did not take place. When I read DV calls, I take it for granted that there was violence or threat of violence.

I'm not defending MP or saying no DV took place. I just kinda want to go on what we know as far as those phone calls when we are talking factually, and it doesn't sound like that is how they were classified by police.

I can definitely understand what you are saying, but am wondering WHY LE felt it necessary to give her a number for a safe house... Am also wondering WHY she was the one who left instead of him...He could have just as easily gone to his mother's home unless he was impaired and unable to drive..
IIRC there was another altercation about the dog last Fall, and Gail was the one who left at that time too, and she went to his mother's residence...JMHO

From Tennessee Code Annotated:

http://www.michie.com/tennessee/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=tncode

36-3-601. Part definitions.

As used in this part, unless the context otherwise requires:

(1) “Abuse” means inflicting, or attempting to inflict, physical injury on an adult or minor by other than accidental means, placing an adult or minor in fear of physical harm, physical restraint, malicious damage to the personal property of the abused party, including inflicting, or attempting to inflict, physical injury on any animal owned, possessed, leased, kept, or held by an adult or minor, or placing an adult or minor in fear of physical harm to any animal owned, possessed, leased, kept, or held by the adult or minor;

AND

39-13-101. Assault.

(a) A person commits assault who:

(2) Intentionally or knowingly causes another to reasonably fear imminent bodily injury; [bbm]

I am NOT a legal expert, but here's the direct quote from T.C.A. that I think helps make clear that domestic assault does not require a physical injury. And, yes, it is a crime.

However, the police may or may not have enough evidence to make an arrest, depending on what they actually see and what the parties tell them. Many abusers can turn it off and on like a switch, proving that YES, they CAN control themselves when they want to.

From Tennessee Code Annotated:

http://www.michie.com/tennessee/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=tncode

36-3-601. Part definitions.

As used in this part, unless the context otherwise requires:

(1) “Abuse” means inflicting, or attempting to inflict, physical injury on an adult or minor by other than accidental means, placing an adult or minor in fear of physical harm, physical restraint, malicious damage to the personal property of the abused party, including inflicting, or attempting to inflict, physical injury on any animal owned, possessed, leased, kept, or held by an adult or minor, or placing an adult or minor in fear of physical harm to any animal owned, possessed, leased, kept, or held by the adult or minor;

AND

39-13-101. Assault.

(a) A person commits assault who:

(2) Intentionally or knowingly causes another to reasonably fear imminent bodily injury;

I am NOT a legal expert, but here's the direct quote from T.C.A. that I think helps make clear that domestic assault does not require a physical injury. And, yes, it is a crime.

However, the police may or may not have enough evidence to make an arrest, depending on what they actually see and what the parties tell them. Many abusers can turn it off and on like a switch, proving that YES, they CAN control themselves when that want to.[/QUOTE]

bbm: I have seen this first hand. VERY SCARY. The first time you conciously witness this can be and should be a real deal breaker.

Verbal altercation calls ARE DV calls. They're one and the same.

During verbal altercations between SO's, you're only 1/2 second away from physical abuse.

When there is NO history of DV calls being answered by LE, doesn't mean there was not any. Just that they weren't reported.

One of my siblings had her arm broken and much more! NEVER once a call to LE. But she has the scars as proof, both physical and emotional.

Laci Peterson had never reported domestic disturbances to LE. Her husband is now waiting on death row in California.

I could go on, but one gets the point......Verbal abuse CAN lead to and IS abuse. The visibility of said scars is the only difference. The end result may also be the difference between the verbal and physical as no jail time for 'words,' but possible prison time for physical or murder. Verbal abuse can go on forever, or turn into 'physical' and as we've seen in cases such as the Laci Peterson case, that ONE physical assault is all it took to lead to murder. Sometimes there just isn't that warning shot, ie that first physical contact that makes the victim actually fear for her life.

I'm not saying that happened here, murder or anything actually physical at all . I'm merely speaking in generalities, fwiw.

JMHO
fran

I am not saying GP was not abused. What I am saying is we do not know the circumstances of the night before. We know she was afraid in general and thought someone was following her. But the phone call to police we do not know that at that time she was afraid of MP or just angry. The circumstances of the other phone calls that we know of do not point to abuse specifically either, do I think there was more to those calls then we know? yes I do, and I think it's a possibility that she was abused physically, and a probability that she was abused mentally. but I just think it's an oversimplification to call them DV calls when we do not know what or if abuse took place at those particular times. JMO.

What we have is patterns of behavior when they were apart from each other that are suspicious. We do not know what went on between then when they were together. We can only speculate. I believe DV is common fran- but I do not believe all verbal altercations are 1/2 second away from physical abuse, because I have been in plenty of verbal altercations (arguments) myself, and although with some people that may be true, we cannot say it is true in all cases with all partners. I like that we are giving GP the benefit of the doubt, I do. I'm just saying, whether she called because of physical abuse, verbal abuse, we do not know of those things. We only know that there was arguing on these occasions. Calling police to diffuse an argument does not always say there was abuse going on at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine