Child named after Hitler is refused cake request

OH MY GOD

They have Hitler stuff , nazi stuff , swastikas all over the place, tatts of nazi stuff

THat POOR BOY

I've never heard or used the word "craptastic", but I've seen it twice in this post. I will add it to my vocabulary, as I really like it!

I think the child will suffer growing up with a name like Adolph Hitler. I really feel sorry for him when he grows up and tries to get a job. People will think he's either a nazi, a racist, or an idiot. I am sure many employers discriminate based on people's names. They shouldn't, but they do. I have to admit, that if I was going to hire someone, and their name was Adolph Hitler, I would think twice about it.

I also think these people are looking for their 15 minutes of fame. What a shame.

This would not be allowed under German law, where they have learned many lessons from history, and want to avoid such evil dominance in future times...and forever...

These parents ought not to have been allowed to glorify naziism through their innocent children - What chance do they have?

I think that in naming a child this, these parents have GOT to realize the compromises they'll have to make. Just like the bakery won't put 'adolf hitler' on a cake, the parents should have stepped up and said 'let's compromise and just put Adolf.'

Unless the parents are skinheads, I think the child COULD live a normal life just going by Adolf Campbell. However, I think I'll think twice before I play the 'middle name' game with a dude named Adolf.

The parents of these children are obvious racists and having named their children the way they have, they did so to make a statement towards their beliefs. The thought of their own children, and what they would endure, were last to the racist/politcal stand they have themselves. Ultimate selfishness and abusive, imho. That said...

Unless there is true concern and proof that exists to remove these children, they will be returned to their parents. I hope they find some, but I doubt it. Freedom of Speech. They can be total pigs when it comes to racism, but it may not lead to a "true" legal reason to keep these children from their parents.

Unless there is true concern and proof that exists to remove these children, they will be returned to their parents. I hope they find some, but I doubt it. Freedom of Speech. They can be total pigs when it comes to racism, but it may not lead to a "true" legal reason to keep these children from their parents.

I agree.

If the children are being abused and neglected, its one thing... but removing them over their names and parents views: kind of not the best idea.

To me, if there comes a day when the courts can dictate how a person names their child and restrict their ideology, then we (in the US) are all in big trouble. We may not like the racist ideology this family adheres to, and we may not like the childrens names... but the first amendment protects them... and when we start crapping on the constitution, we start crapping on our own freedoms.

I do not believe that Freedom of Speech includes the right to teach your child or anyone else hatred or that criminal activity is acceptable. Naming your child after a mass murderer, and passing the ideology that goes with it, should be unacceptable and considered child abuse. In this day and age of terrorism, I believe it should be punishable to the parents who attempt to raise terrorists.

I agree.

If the children are being abused and neglected, its one thing... but removing them over their names and parents views: kind of not the best idea.

To me, if there comes a day when the courts can dictate how a person names their child and restrict their ideology, then we (in the US) are all in big trouble. We may not like the racist ideology this family adheres to, and we may not like the childrens names... but the first amendment protects them... and when we start crapping on the constitution, we start crapping on our own freedoms.

I respectfully disagree. This has nothing to do with freedom of speech and this type & level of speech, hatred and the actions it motivates some to take - even to the level of murder because of someone elses race or color - because of the hate they are taught by their parents is blatant abuse.

I hope those children never go back to these parents and make an example that while America is free and we can raise our children in a healthy happy non hatred environment, this should not be tolerated. people have been murdered in the name of Hitler and these parents were setting their children up for a lifetime of hate and continuing the 'tradition' for generations to come.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH :furious:

The parents should have learned to bake cakes themselves, that way there would be no discrepancy over writing the icing on the cake.
Very foolish parents. To name their kids those names, it puts the children in danger when they are older. Some people have no brains..

I agree.

While i agree with what Elphaba says, when the children are older, they will face a lot of discrimination, teasing, and possible violence due to their names and especially if they carry in their parents' footsteps.
There are tons of children living with parents that are bigots of some sort or another.
The parents made stupid decisions upon naming their children. I'm more concerned about what the children would grow up and have to endure due to what their names are.

I don't know if this article was posted but here is another one.

http://www.rockymounttelegram.com/n...-kids-after-nazis-decries-removal-407337.html

"Campbell said the agency told him the children were taken because they were in "imminent danger," but he believed the removal was spurred by publicity surrounding the children's names.
The family made headlines in December when a ShopRite supermarket in Greenwich, near the family's home in Holland Township, refused to decorate a birthday cake with their son's name.
A Wal-Mart in Pennsylvania wound up decorating the cake, but the resulting publicity put the family under media scrutiny. Heath Campbell said he and his wife are staying with relatives because neighbors and others are harassing them.
Police in Holland Township are investigating a mailed death threat that was received by a woman whose last name is Campbell but is not related the couple."
http://www.rockymounttelegram.com/n...-kids-after-nazis-decries-removal-407337.html

They could face potential danger due to their names, especially when they get older.

I agree.

ITA. I will also state that those who want the freedoms of others taken away are the true enemies of democracy.

My opinion only

I'm going to have to disagree. A name is often the first impression you get from a person. If someone wanted to change his name to Adolph Hitler, that would be freedom of speech. But bestowing a name that speaks of racism and hatred onto a child, isn't that actually taking away their freedom of speech? That's your ideology, not your child's.

Other countries have naming laws; I've always thought the US could benefit from that.

I'm going to have to disagree. A name is often the first impression you get from a person. If someone wanted to change his name to Adolph Hitler, that would be freedom of speech. But bestowing a name that speaks of racism and hatred onto a child, isn't that actually taking away their freedom of speech? That's your ideology, not your child's.

Other countries have naming laws; I've always thought the US could benefit from that.

Why should anyone have the right to decide what I can or cannot name my child?

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for
people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
-- Noam Chomsky

Why should anyone have the right to decide what I can or cannot name my child?

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for
people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
-- Noam Chomsky

I completely agree. No one would stand for naming laws here like other countries have. On the other hand, if a couple names their son after Hitler, they're asking for negative repercussions (most of which will be suffered by the child, not them.) Do you think people should be allowed to name their children, "Stupid" or "Butt Ugly"?

I suspect this boy will exercise his rights and change his name when he is old enough.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back