New Drug Deletes Bad Memories

czechmate7

Former Member
Reaction score
New Drug Deletes Bad Memories

Do you have a really bad memory, or past heartache, that you would prefer to forget?
Researchers at Harvard and McGill University (in Montreal) are working on an amnesia drug that blocks or deletes bad memories. The technique seems to allow psychiatrists to disrupt the biochemical pathways that allow a memory to be recalled.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20070703/sc_livescience/newdrugdeletesbadmemories

Wow....not sure what to think about this!!! What will they think of next??!

I'm sure there is a valid argument for helping people get rid of bad memories, but it's a tad on the creepy side for me. I dunno. Reminds me of storyline in a movie.

I pretty weary of some prescription drugs as it is....I don't know that I'd want to take something that was sooo incrediby powerful that it's main function was to disrupt the biological pathways in my brain.....

Huh? I'd rather have Dr. Spock invade my brain. I'd trust a Vulcan before this.

I have one bad memory in particular I'd like to forget but I think dealing with it and all it's ramifications will be better for my life than erasing it.

Why can't we just delete bad people that cause some of the bad memories?

:D

I have one bad memory in particular I'd like to forget but I think dealing with it and all it's ramifications will be better for my life than erasing it.

amen----:angel:

That makes a lot of sense!!!! :) Better yet, delete them BEFORE they cause someone a bad memory. What was that movie Tom Cruise was in (when I still liked him) where they would track down and assassinate criminals before the committed the crime?

That makes a lot of sense!!!! :) Better yet, delete them BEFORE they cause someone a bad memory. What was that movie Tom Cruise was in (when I still liked him) where they would track down and assassinate criminals before the committed the crime?
Minority Report....I think that's the last Tom Cruise movie I saw...That's when he started getting creepy..

I think I might have already been exposed to this drug as my memory is really bad...:D

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind in real life, eh? If thet can pinpoint it without error and remove, say, a rape memory, then good. However, we gain wisdom and character from our bad experiences. We'd lose that by not remembering the experiences. And we also know that those who do not remember history, are doomed to repeat it.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind in real life, eh? If thet can pinpoint it without error and remove, say, a rape memory, then good. However, we gain wisdom and character from our bad experiences. We'd lose that by not remembering the experiences. And we also know that those who do not remember history, are doomed to repeat it.

Bravo, DK, bravo. :clap:

I understand where everyone is coming from... but in my situation, I would gladly take this medicine....as you never know until you have walked in someone else's shoes!!!

Not necessarily so DK...in that case I think I'd be a psychopath. Thankfully I have never had any truely bad/traumatic experiences in my life. Depending on the strength of the person, it can destroy them, and nothing has been gained. Traumatic experiences are not always a lesson in how to be a better person and "grow" from the experience.

It's just too high on the "creep-factor" for me.

My memories and thoughts are a part of me. It is what makes me who I am. This body is merely a vessel. It is our minds that truly separate us and make each of us uniquely different, special and our own person.

While I certainly have MANY memories that, on the surface, I would love to erase, I would never actually do it. Ya gotta take the good with the bad & I'm a roll with the punches type gal. My experiences and memories, good and bad, are an important ingredient in the "How to make an eleven" recipe.

IMO

I haven't read the link yet, but it would be interesting to learn if they are able to select memories from years ago and how it will be done. If I deleted all bad memories, then I don't believe I would remember much except little bits and pieces past the age of 5 or have any future memories either. I can't delete the people affecting my life so I would have to take the drug every day.

There is a drug out already that does something to your memory, when I had a medical procedure done, it wasnt done under general anaesthetic, but under sedation and they said because of the nature of the op that they were also giving me something so that I would not remember, and by golly they were right.
I remembered being taken into the theatre, but nothing else until I was in recovery. They told me I was awake all the time and I was talking to them. Still to this day and the op was a few years ago, I still do not remember what happened in the half hour I was in theatre.

I think you have found the best solution in wanting to get rid of the people that caused the heartache in the first place! :crazy:

Yeah...that was a GREAT movie! :D

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998