GUILTY MI - David Montaldi for raping, beating 1yo girl, Mount Clemens, 2010

tlcox--Yours in an excellent post but we have to remember that women can sexually abuse too. The numbers are increasing daily. I would amend everything said above to say, "Parents, be cautious of who you leave your children with. Communicate, watch, question everything."

There are wonderful boyfriends, stepdads, uncles, and guy friends who would be delightful and caring with a toddler. They would not harm a child like this. There are many men who work with infants and children--child care providers, social workers, and those in the medical field. This man is horribly sick and demented. It's not about the sex. It was all about power and pedophilia.

I know, within my heart, that this man has had other victims. Oh, how I hope that every single child who has crossed his path is carefully checked out. My guess is that he offered to watch this child. Most likely he dated this woman expressly because her child fit a profile for him. My heart breaks for her tonight and all who loved this baby.

As the grandmother of a special little one who wasn't meant for this earth, I'm actually praying that this little girl be taken by the angels to fly above.

BBM

absolutely! My post was simply directed at mothers because I was so upset that this one was so comfortable introducing this man AND leaving him alone and in sole charge of her precious, nonverbal daughter.

It upsets me no end this continued lack or absence of the most basic maternal instinct in our daughters and sisters!

So, while I agree, I was just moved to speak from one mother to another and try to explain what I thought these young women should just KNOW in their hearts.

I want to know where this man grew up. Does everyone remember Joseph Allsop? We have a thread on him and he's awaiting trial. He's the monster from Oregon who was a RSO by the time he was 14. He moved to Texas and enlisted in the Army. For some reason I cannot fathom, the military did not learn of his past.

He killed his infant daughter during his sexual assault of her and made it appear that she had died of SIDS. He's had many many other victims, it's clear. I am all but certain that Montaldi does too. You just don't wake up at age 31 and assault a tiny girl like this. Just like Earl Bradley, they start early and keep going until they get caught.

Considering the interesting piece I linked to above about predatory offenders and another piece by the same author on hypersexuality, it would almost seem that Montaldi was the centerpiece for this other doctor's theories. It's chilling.

In re-reading all the articles, I noticed that the baby's mother has an older child who was staying with her parents while she worked. So, Montaldi, specifically set himself up to be with the baby alone. I really suspect that he's dated other women who have baby girls. My guess is that he's always positioned himself to be around little girls. If they were verbal, I wouldn't doubt that he drugged them. But babies as tiny as 13 months can't describe their horrors.

BBM

absolutely! My post was simply directed at mothers because I was so upset that this one was so comfortable introducing this man AND leaving him alone and in sole charge of her precious, nonverbal daughter.

It upsets me no end this continued lack or absence of the most basic maternal instinct in our daughters and sisters!

So, while I agree, I was just moved to speak from one mother to another and try to explain what I thought these young women should just KNOW in their hearts.

I do feel for the mom in this case though. She probably figured with him being a doctor, it meant he was a good guy. Most of my friends would. I'm just the paranoid freak of the bunch. :) Most people figure if someone is in a respectable position (i.e. Doctor, psychologist, social worker, etc) that means they are good people. The mainstream is finally starting to learn a little about ministers/priests/youth workers, but even then not all are cautious. I can imagine this mom knowing the doctor previously from work, thinking he's great, starting to date him, and trusting he's a good guy. I truly feel for her. I, on the other hand, quiz my 4 year old DD every so often (in a non-threatening manner) and check her over when I bathe her. Not that I don't trust my DH/family/in-laws/daycare, but I know we've read about plenty of parents who fully trusted a loved one and it didn't turn out well. DD knows she's not allowed to have secrets from me. We were talking about secrets one day and she told me she has a secret with her gps. I told her I wouldn't tell them she told me, but needed to know what it was. It's that she gets candy before dinner. Lol. I'm very lucky. But still paranoid.
I was actually amazed by something that happened this summer. A male friend of ours has 2 children, one is a girl. My friend, at the time, was a single parent. His daughter's friend was allowed to spend the night and go to the beach with my friend, his kids, my DH, and our daughter. The parents had met my friend once, for about 30 seconds, and never met my DH. Now I have known my friend for over half my life and would trust him with my DD's life. But these other parents don't know that! I was just amazed they let their little girl spend the night and all day with a guy (actually 2) that they don't know.

Lyn--You bring up an excellent point. Pedophiles spend just as much time grooming the parents (usually) as they do the children. When we are talking about infant and toddler victims, the only grooming is of the parents. I don't harshly judge this mother at all. Six months is a decent amount of time to date before one lets a partner spend time alone with a child, IMO. Being that this mom had such a young child and no husband/partner tells me that she was probably very excited to win the attention of a DOCTOR!! That could be seen as quite the catch. And one who is delightfully engaged with your baby girl and so willing to help out. This woman works at the hospital and I have not sleuthed her. She could be another doctor, a nurse, or a clerk. But we so often do not see the danger right under our noses. I know I didn't.

I love your story about the candy. You are on the right path. Once, after our trial, one of my daughters told me that her brother had asked her to keep a secret. I cringed but gently probed and it turned out that the young boy had said the "S" word. Not what you are thinking, though, but the word "stupid". An absolute taboo in our house.

No, this mom is devastated. My prayers are with her. Everytime I woke up last night, I prayed again that this baby's suffering may end...in one way or another. God will know, IMO.

i think one thing we need to do as mothers is have some sympathy for another mother when its warrented.. ppl cannot read other ppl all the time .. mabey her instincts were off and she felt ok with leaving the baby with him .. bottom line is HE is the one who did this .. NOT the mom .. right now she needs support not to have the i told you so .. you cant change what has been done and i think she knows that .. all you can do is learn from it and never let it happen again ..which i dont think she ever will .. i mean really how many of us have had to hire babysitters ? ppl we didnt know . from agencies or whatnot or our kids friends .. some of us are lucky and never had to .. but then again you can know someone for 20 years and they pull a tragic suprise on ya ..

The resiliency of infants. I'm very very surprised. May God be with her.

There have been no recent updates on the case or the condition of this baby girl.

Please WSers, is there anyone here that could pull this out from under the rug? TIA

This is Michigan right? The same state that gave essentially probation, IIRC, to the faux Iraqi war "vet" who had been raping and breaking the bones of his infant daughter starting when she was 6 weeks old? Claiming that acid and alcohol made him do it? Kirk Coleman received 3.5-5 years. The judge was so incensed he went above guidelines, but the prosecutor DROPPED the sexual assault charges....allowed him to plead guilty to child abuse.

Yup, Michigan.

Baby rapist/abuser Kirk Coleman sentenced today 17 July 08 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

You know, this case is on my list to check every single day and I haven't seen a single word. If we have any posters in Michigan, I think it might be time to fire off an email to your legislator. I, too, have been wondering about things being swept under the rug. Doctors sure do seem to often garner special favors. We have a post on a Maine doctor, David York. Seems that he did only a very short time for child *advertiser censored* and then conveniently relocated to the south, where he most likely wouldn't be known. That's not usually the way it works, being that he's on probation and all.

IIRC, I found Montaldi's brother and he had just rented out his house. I wonder if they've gone on a little trip.

As for the baby girl, I'd give anything to hear an update.

There were some articles from Dec. 20th, 2010.

Montaldi’s father, David H. Montaldi, a obstetrics gynecologist, said he supports his son. He said he wouldn’t discuss the charges.

“I’ll help my son as much as I can,” he said.
http://www.macombdaily.com/articles/2010/12/20/news/doc4d0f8659da569226845935.txt?viewmode=2

I understand that this is his son but if my child did what it looks like this guy did I would walk away. Does he think the dog did it?

Finally, an update:

http://detnews.com/article/20110225/METRO03/102250360/1409/rss36

Mom testifies she found toddler 'limp like a rag doll' with ex-boyfriend
Feb. 25, 2011

"An ex-medical resident listened and cried Thursday as his former girlfriend testified how he called her at work and claimed his dog sat on her toddler and she was having trouble breathing. "He said 'I need you to come home now,'" the Roseville mother of two testified in Clinton Township District Court. "He was crying and he was freaking out."

The woman told Judge Sebastian Lucido that David Tyler Montaldi phoned her Dec. 5 and said his 200-pound bull mastiff sat on the 13-month-old girl and she wasn't acting right. The mother arrived at his Mount Clemens home shortly after and called 911...."

and

"...He turned her around to hand her to me and that's when I saw her face, it was all blue. She was limp like a rag doll...."

and

"...The girl was hospitalized 10 days at Children's Hospital of Detroit, and prosecutors allege her injuries were inconsistent with Montaldi's account. Nurse practitioner GL testified that she examined the toddler in a hospital bed while the child was sedated and on life support. GL said the injuries were so extensive that she had to fill out two body diagram forms to note them all...."

and

"...[Sheriff's Deputy, Ronald] Murphy said he found blood on the bathtub, shower curtain, a pajama set and a rug in front of the toilet. No blood was found near the couch where Montaldi said the child was injured..."

more at link

The hearing resumes on March 15th. No condition given on the little girl. But she was on life support and was hospitalized for 10 days. I wonder if she's gone home or has been placed in a nursing facility? My prayers are with her and her family.

Poor little baby. I hope the monster gets life, but I should probably know better. Sending prayers up for this child and her family.

Did everyone see this comment at fhc's link?

"....The girl was hospitalized 10 days. She has since recovered...."

That's fabulous news which I was not expecting given the severity of her injuries.

"I'm still standing behind my son," he said. "There were two people there: (the child) and my son. Nobody knows what happened."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110315...dler’s-injuries-‘almost-absurd’#ixzz1GrdDIa8c

Really, and if the son didn't do it, it must have been the child hurting herself?!!

I'm also glad to hear this baby has recovered. I'm no expert on this type of stuff, but can the baby actually forget this event and lead a normal life??

Have been searching for updates every week for this case and coming up empty. Anyone else able to locate anything? This guy so needs to be put away. With his extensive family of doctors, the fear is this will be quietly settled. If any of our great WSers is able to give any info., it would sure be appreciated.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back