Drew Peterson's Trial *FIRST WEEK*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's unfair to judge the prosecution team based on one day of trial. First of all, the way a trial goes is largely due to the judge's rulings. A team can only discuss what is allowed by the judge. If the judge says NO then that's that, unless you take a motion up the chain to an appeal court.

What mistakes has the prosecution team made so far?

If they did something wrong in the months, weeks and days leading up to the trial, then that's a whole other matter. I don't know the history of the state on prepping this case.

Oh honey, I know what you say is true, I think I am just disheartened that the prosecution didn't start out with making a few points. The updates seem as if all they did was keep hitting walls.

I am letting my emotions get in the way and I know it. I just want to see justice for Kathleen.

diane pathieu‏@dianepathieu
States Attorney not making any comments today. #DrewPeterson

Judge: 'that concludes evidence for today, we'll resume at 9am tomorrow' #DrewPeterson

To recap: Assistant State's Attrny Kathy Patton questioning Peterson/Savio neighbor & good friend Mary #DrewPeterson

In rebuttal, Pros. asking about towels in bathroom again. #DrewPeterson

Pontarelli called back to stand. #DrewPetersondiane pathieu‏@dianepathieu

Cross-examination over. Jury asked to step out AGAIN. This makes 4 times.

Pontarelli didn't allow son Nick - who was one of the last people to see Savio alive- speak to police that night #DrewPeterson

'so you don't remember talking to Bolingbrook Police that night' -defense

Pontarelli says she can't remember parts of what she told Bolingbrook Police- now says she can't recall all of the interviews w/detectives.

Pontarelli confirms #DrewPeterson was visibly upset when they found Savio: said 'what am I going to tell my kids'

Defense asking again about scene, specifically about a blue towel she claims was not there. #DrewPeterson

Pontarelli says she never saw basket of towels in bathroom when she found her friend- defense shows pic of crime scene w/basket of towels.

They are taking moments, short moments off, then asking about what was in the bathroom where Savio was found. #DrewPeterson

Pontarelli still on stand saying Savio always put her hair in a clip before bathing and her hair was found down when she was found, no clip.

We are back, 15mins in, discussing room around Savios body. Closets, space, etc. #DrewPeterson

Pontarelli recalling last moments & phone calls made before discovering Savio in the tub. #DrewPeterson

Defense to witness:' You saw nothing unusual that night' "right" #DrewPeterson

@Tammybaby65 Saw light night before, midnight- the next day- same light was off.

Defense says Pontarelli's son Nick was "a little too close" to kathleen savios

As far as Pontarelli knows, her son Nick saw Kathleen Savio alive last. #DrewPeterson

Pontarelli saw a light on at Savios home but taught she must have been studing. #DrewPeterson

Defense: "kathy was no pushover... she would fight back, right?" Witness: yes #DrewPeterson

Defense asking witness about 'arguing' between Drew & Kathleen.

Defense asking about Italian connection among neighbors & how friendly neighbors were. #DrewPeterson

Cross examination started. #DrewPeterson

Read bottom up http://twitter.com/dianepathieu

This is a very tough case and the pros do have an uphill battle because a lot of it is based on hearsay and autopsy reports (5 years later!) I think they will prevail in the end and Kathleen will get justice and in a way so will Stacy.

Fingers crossed!

Oh honey, I know what you say is true, I think I am just disheartened that the prosecution didn't start out with making a few points. The updates seem as if all they did was keep hitting walls.

I am letting my emotions get in the way and I know it. I just want to see justice for Kathleen.

The state tried to make several points and bring in some evidence, the defense objected and the judge sustained the objections. What would you have the state's team do in that situation?

The state tried to make several points and bring in some evidence, the defense objected and the judge sustained the objections. What would you have the state's team do in that situation?

I guess if I had said I would have done differently I might understand your asking me that, but I only stated that I wished the prosecution had made a few points instead of hitting walls. Sorry if you took that otherwise than intended.

I wish the judge had allowed the prosecution to put in some of the evidence that would have made a few points and connections, instead of the team having their hands tied.

Since we are wishing...

I wish Stacy to be found and DP to go down.

See you all in the am.

I watched part of Nancy Grace with Rita Cosby filling in for Nancy, but no new info than what's been shared here.

Dr. Drew came on and he had Mark Garagoes on and of course Mark says the prosecution has no case. Peterson attorney, Steve Greenberg, was also on and agreed. There was a prosecution attorney (didn't catch his name) who argued that there's a lot of evidence that will come in and it's the accumulation of all this evidence, when put together, that will convict Drew Peterson.

One thing about today's court proceedings that caught me by surprise is the mention that Drew offered a co-worker $25,000 to kill Kathleen. I don't remember ever hearing about that before. Is this something that's just now being released publicly? Are we to assume the co-worker would be a Bolingbrook police officer? I would think this would be extremely relevant, but I guess it goes to "prior bad acts."

His 3 mouthy lawyers out trashing KS at lunch break. She was mean, bossy, had to have her way, etc. GMAB.

Don't they realize how ridiculous they sound?

This trial is going to really get my blood pressure up, I can tell.

JMO

After watching every moment of the Anthony trial and it's disgusting outcome, I really am worried about Peterson's trial. And I totally agree with you about blood pressure...mine is way up right now. I may get to the point where I cannot read any more, and just wait for the verdict. The darn judge keeps taking away everything the prosecution has.

If DP walks, maybe Bolingbrook can elect him mayor....after all, DP is such a wonderful, conscientious, former policeman who has never done anything wrong. *sarcasm intended* At least that is how he is coming off to the jury since Burmilla won't let anything negative about him in. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I don't think the state is botching it. They were just unlucky enough to get a pro-defense judge. They came to the trial with some great ammo, but none of it is being allowed in.

It feels to me like the judge is worried that if the state wins, the case will be turned around on appeals later on. He wants to protect his reputation and his percentages. imo. So he is nixing any possible thing the defense could appeal the verdict with. And since the prosecution cannot appeal a verdict, he is safe. :mad:

Bold mine.

Can we say Judge Perry? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

States Attorney not making any comments today. #DrewPeterson

Judge: 'that concludes evidence for today, we'll resume at 9am tomorrow' #DrewPeterson

To recap: Assistant State's Attrny Kathy Patton questioning Peterson/Savio neighbor & good friend Mary #DrewPeterson

In rebuttal, Pros. asking about towels in bathroom again. #DrewPeterson

Pontarelli called back to stand. #DrewPetersondiane pathieu‏@dianepathieu

Cross-examination over. Jury asked to step out AGAIN. This makes 4 times.

Pontarelli didn't allow son Nick - who was one of the last people to see Savio alive- speak to police that night #DrewPeterson

'so you don't remember talking to Bolingbrook Police that night' -defense

Pontarelli says she can't remember parts of what she told Bolingbrook Police- now says she can't recall all of the interviews w/detectives.

Pontarelli confirms #DrewPeterson was visibly upset when they found Savio: said 'what am I going to tell my kids'

Defense asking again about scene, specifically about a blue towel she claims was not there. #DrewPeterson

Pontarelli says she never saw basket of towels in bathroom when she found her friend- defense shows pic of crime scene w/basket of towels.

They are taking moments, short moments off, then asking about what was in the bathroom where Savio was found. #DrewPeterson

Pontarelli still on stand saying Savio always put her hair in a clip before bathing and her hair was found down when she was found, no clip.

We are back, 15mins in, discussing room around Savios body. Closets, space, etc. #DrewPeterson

Pontarelli recalling last moments & phone calls made before discovering Savio in the tub. #DrewPeterson

Defense to witness:' You saw nothing unusual that night' "right" #DrewPeterson

@Tammybaby65 Saw light night before, midnight- the next day- same light was off.

Defense says Pontarelli's son Nick was "a little too close" to kathleen savios

As far as Pontarelli knows, her son Nick saw Kathleen Savio alive last. #DrewPeterson

Pontarelli saw a light on at Savios home but taught she must have been studing. #DrewPeterson

Defense: "kathy was no pushover... she would fight back, right?" Witness: yes #DrewPeterson

Defense asking witness about 'arguing' between Drew & Kathleen.

Defense asking about Italian connection among neighbors & how friendly neighbors were. #DrewPeterson

Cross examination started. #DrewPeterson

Read bottom up http://twitter.com/dianepathieu

Bold red mine.

Is the defense trying to imply that 14 yr. old Nick P. was having a sexual relationship with Kathleen? Good GAWD! :maddening:

Defense implying or outright saying that the bruising on KS body was from rough sex w/ her boyfriend. HTH would THEY know that? Also, how is saying she had sex that w/e with
her boyfriend relevant to the case, except to establish the boyfriend was with her?

<snipped>

One thing about today's court proceedings that caught me by surprise is the mention that Drew offered a co-worker $25,000 to kill Kathleen. I don't remember ever hearing about that before. Is this something that's just now being released publicly? Are we to assume the co-worker would be a Bolingbrook police officer? I would think this would be extremely relevant, but I guess it goes to "prior bad acts."

It isn't new. The hitman was revealed during the Hearsay Hearings.

The guys name is Jeff Patcher. 1/28/10 he testified that Drew asked him to find someone who could take care of his wife (because iirc, Jeff said he wasn't able to kill anyone).
Anyways, here is one of the captures:
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/...io Murder Case/?action=view&current=008-3.jpg

ETA- Here's a vid that explains what happened:
[ame="http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/Stacy%20Peterson%20-%20Kathleen%20Savio%20%20-IL-/Hearsay%20Hearing%20-%20The%20Savio%20Murder%20Case/?action=view&current=018-2.mp4"]Hearsay Hearing - The Savio Murder Case :: 1/28/10 video by crankycrankerson - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vid296.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/Stacy%20Peterson%20-%20Kathleen%20Savio%20%20-IL-/Hearsay%20Hearing%20-%20The%20Savio%20Murder%20Case/018-2.mp4@@AMEPARAM@@vid296@@AMEPARAM@@296@@AMEPARAM@@mm166/crankycrankerson/Stacy%20Peterson%20-%20Kathleen%20Savio%20%20-IL-/Hearsay%20Hearing%20-%20The%20Savio%20Murder%20Case/018-2@@AMEPARAM@@mp4[/ame]

And-- there is a wealth of info in the Hearsay Hearings archive, here:
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/...-IL-/Hearsay Hearing - The Savio Murder Case/

It isn't new. The hitman was revealed during the Hearsay Hearings.

The guys name is Jeff Patcher. 1/28/10 he testified that Drew asked him to find someone who could take care of his wife (because iirc, Jeff said he wasn't able to kill anyone).
Anyways, here is one of the captures:
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/...io Murder Case/?action=view&current=008-3.jpg

ETA- Here's a vid that explains what happened:
Hearsay Hearing - The Savio Murder Case :: 1/28/10 video by crankycrankerson - Photobucket

And-- there is a wealth of info in the Hearsay Hearings archive, here:
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/...-IL-/Hearsay Hearing - The Savio Murder Case/

Thanks AmandaReckonwith! I was here for the hearsay hearings and I guess I must have forgotten completely about the money offer. I do wish this evidence could come in.................but know that it likely does fall under the "prior bad acts."

I have followed this from the beginning and I just have to believe this country has learned something from the Anthony case.

I have faith in the jury, I just have to. I think they will see Drew for the person he is and we will have justice.

Thanks so much for the updates, everyone. I have been very busy for the last several days. I have been on pins and needles waiting for this trial to begin!

I have just got to believe that this jury does not want to become another Pinellas 12. This jury will at least review the evidence, IMO, and try very hard to do the right thing.

The most powerful thing in the trial is going to be Kathleen's own words as said to others and her words on paper. It ain't over 'till it's over!

MOO

I can understand why " prior bad acts " are not admissible because their not relevant to the case, but isn't this particular "bad act" relevant to this case?

Thank you Amanda, your site is a wonderful resource on a LOT of cases!!

I remember when I first met you online, way back in 2007 when Stacy first when missing and we were trying to figure out who Michael Robinson was, and you sent me a news clipping from the Chicago Tribune with a photo showing Robinson outside Peterson's house. Thank you then and thank you now.

ACR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member