Armchair psych profile and personal background

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upon catching up with today's posts for this thread, have a few reflections to share.

1. Someone asked why Luka seemed to be particularly interested in communicating to Russians that he was sick (a serial killer). Perhaps he felt safer hiding behind the language barrier. Also, he might have been impressed by certain violent media from that country, particularly "2 Men and a Hammer", a video I never knew of before reading about the Luka Magnotta case. Also, even though he added so many different groups to his twitter account, a marked number of them were white supremacist groups. If he was truly into white supremacy then he might be drawn to the strong white supremacist movement in Russia. He might see himself as someone the Russians would admire all-around. Maybe he even communicated or met people in Russia who his energy resonated with; they might have discussed murder. ...Another thought about racism/xenaphobia: I found it pretty scary that Luka at one time sought a middle eastern gay partner, saying that he had a thing for them. Somehow I doubt that was an authentic statement. Perhaps he was preying on them at the time. And maybe the 1 Lunatic 1 Icepick video is after all a film of a racist attack as the Chinese are reporting it.

2. Some have asked for evidence that Luka felt rejected. One article mentioned a schoolmate who said that Luka was picked on by his peers. That would involve a whole-sale rejection. Also, Luka mentioned his family using him for his money. Though, of course, we can't always rely on what he has to say, it's possible that he felt that this had happened. Further, he blogged and posted online a few different times about a long-term gay partner who would not come out of the closet and who blew him off a lot despite all his attempts to be good to the guy. That series of posts sounded sincere. Going back further, we think (know?) that he was raised by grandparents for a couple years in early childhood. Such an event might easily be interpreted as rejection by the parents since someone that age is too young to understand what is happening. It also just sounds like the family might have been too unstable a network to ever give him a feeling of security and love, even if no one intentionally harmed him.

3. Someone posted about Aspergers... Something I've considered before is whether many serial killers might suffer from this disorder. It might be the reason for an obsessive rigidity or ritual-like behavior that often occurs, as well as lack of emotional depth. Nothing is ever that simple but it's an interesting idea.

4. A lot of people have mentioned schizophrenics they've known, and contrasting Luka, have said that he couldn't possibly have that diagnosis. I've known unmedicated schizophrenics who while a little eccentric appeared normal for the most part. There are not only different types of schizophrenia, but there are also degrees of severity. I don't think we can rule it out yet as a possibility, though it's also possible that he helped create the diagnosis by lying to a mental health professional so that when he had his big day in court after killing people he'd be able to defend himself (as someone mentioned).

5. As far as Luka wanting to kill himself goes--I get the feeling that a lot of his hatred stems from not being able to be his own person with family controlling so much of his earlier life. So I think he is really freaking out about being caged and controlled now; he will associate prison with that early control. He also has achieved the fame (infamy) and is likely to regard it as a hollow victory since the grass is always greener, so he will now have to reflect on the absurdity of his own behavior. But his pride about always being misunderstood will keep him from wanting to share that with anyone. He will probably swing between finding himself disgusting and tiresome and feeding off of some fantasy to try to cope, for the rest of his life.

6. Concerning his facial structure, noses continue to grow and descend throughout our lives. Simple observation shows that small children tend to have little pug noses while old people have long droopy ones. But science has proven it also. The ears and nose continue to "grow" (they droop because of gravity and soft cartilage). As they droop they change shape a little, becoming more narrow. That doesn't mean Luka hasn't had plastic surgery though.

7. On whether Luka is a psychopath or a sociopath...Honestly, the map is not the territory. To really understand someone we need to go beyond whether they fit one quick category or another. Meanwhile, I don't buy for a minute that psychopaths grow up in better environments but there's no way to back up my conclusion that easily here. Maybe researchers/psychologists came up with the distinction because they were so disturbed by individuals they were trying to study that they ended up forcing an artificial difference to feel a sense of understanding (to feel the comfort of "knowing"). I've known people who were severely abused in most every way growing up, were totally psychopathic, highly educated, and too shrewd to ever talk about it openly. Most abuse is hidden from the public eye. A lot of people have told me their stories because they knew I wouldn't judge them. ...Also, I read an article online, while sleuthing this case, about brain studies showing that the psychopathic mind might sometimes be formed in infancy as a response to a neglectful mother. There wouldn't need to be a long history of abuse--just the first most formative years molding the personality and brain.

Some of us are natural empaths. Some of us understand people less conceptually and more through emotional analogy. Personally, I see a lot of ex-partners in Luka though I have strained to find ways to understand him through my own psychology also, exploring every angle possible since he confounds me. The fact that I can relate to him empathically through people I've known and limited experiences of my own does not mean that I'm romanticizing. To empathize and to romanticize are different things. I see the horror too and that's what prompted the curiosity in the first place. And I believe that most people are drawn to the case out of wild curiosity because they simply aren't like Luka and don't understand being that dysfunctional. I know for a fact that if I was alone face-to-face with him I would see the evil in his eyes and it would sear me through. I've seen that evil before. I don't have to strain to find an inkling of good in him because I am looking at his past trajectory and finding points where he probably did have good in him still. I feel that the most marked change came between the earlier school photo where he looks very sweet and physically androgynous, and the school photo in which he has an island of hair and the rest of his head is shaved. In that second photo it looks like he has realized that he hates people and given into the rage that built from being bullied at school and whatever else happened to him. After that there were probably years of internal struggle like Ted Bundy described about his own self, and then a giving over of his whole personality to the creation of a serial killer.

p.s. You articulated your thoughts well there. ( :

Let me see if I can articulate my thoughts... I understand so much about people and their thoughts, actions, behaviors, etc., but I have a very difficult time articulating these thoughts.

People are confused about how they feel about Luka and his crime, which seems to contradict his persona. He's charming, good looking, articulate, and fragile, both physically and emotionally, yet he pulled off a horrific and well-orchestrated crime paying homage to modern day pop culture - and almost a pastiche of sorts.

Now add to that the impact the internet has had on our collective psyche. The "the world [wide web] is my stage" mentality. The disconnect, or perhaps the entire opposite, the blending/blurring between reality and fiction, real life and fantasy that we live on a daily basis through the web.

I'm getting too convoluted and oblique here. It romantisization. I think that deep inside we all want to find some little inkling of good in him because deep inside we all see a little of ourselves in him. Some see more of themselves than others.

Thank you so much for that amazing post Scientific...
I also felt his blogs about the boyfriend seemed very sincere and he seemed very hurt by it.He actually reminds me a lot of a teenage girl in the way he expresses himself.....aren't most teenage girls a bit narcisistic and psychotic ?

That's what I see in him,that's where my emphazising comes from.That time period when I hated the world,when I thought noone understood me and I was alone...when looks mattered soo much,all those insecurities and all that pain....

Further, he blogged and posted online a few different times about a long-term gay partner who would not come out of the closet and who blew him off a lot despite all his attempts to be good to the guy. That series of posts sounded sincere.

I also read the post you are referring to above. I wonder if this person will ever come forward if he was a genuine partner of LM...
I find it strange the lack of any friendship LM had in his life, even through his work in the *advertiser censored* industry, did he not even strike up friendship, even conversation with his co-stars in these adult movies? There just seems to be a lack of people who knew anything about him imo.

I personally find those "fans" of LM or convicted killer twisted. I can't identify what overall healthy person would want to cultivate a relationship with someone whose significantly compromised in their empathy/compassion and highly dishonest, manipulative as to not only mask their true vaccuous self, but to also maximize what they exploit from the person in pursuit of him/her. Whether its a narcissist, a sociopath or a psychopath...they are all parasitic and exploitive personalities. Interesting the pattern of persons getting involved with prisoners is highly weighted with the majority being women pursuing males in prison. I've cut and pasted below a few theorist as to what draws women to violent offenders in prison. It does give some plausible theories:

Psychologist Elaine Aron, author of "The Highly Sensitive Person in Love," agrees with her husband's assertion that some people may actually seek out relationships with prisoners because it fits their personality type. One such personality type may be the "highly sensitive person," about 15 percent of the population, according to Aron.

An HSP is someone who is particularly empathic and often struggles with overstimulation in daily life and intimate attachments. "Their issues could dovetail quite neatly with an inmate. … They would feel particularly compassionate or sympathetic to an inmate, and at the same time feel comfortable with a relationship that comes with predictability and defined boundaries," she said.

Psychologists and researchers say individuals with a history of abuse or low self-esteem may be more likely to fall in love with a person who has committed a violent crime. Should they enter a correspondence with an inmate, they could be particularly vulnerable. "Many people in jail are sociopaths and they're very good at manipulating people," said Aron.

Sheila Isenberg said the women she interviewed for her book "Women Who Love Men Who Kill" had all experienced some sort of abuse in their past, either in their family or with a past spouse or boyfriend. "Some of these women may actually feel safer in these relationships," she said. "When their partner is incarcerated, he can't hit her or be abusive."

Grant said that may explain some of the relationships with the inmates at Joseph Harp as well. "He's not going to beat you. He's not going to be sexually abusive. He's going to be nurturing to you, and you don't need to worry a whole lot about him running around on you," Grant said.

I also read the post you are referring to above. I wonder if this person will ever come forward if he was a genuine partner of LM...
I find it strange the lack of any friendship LM had in his life, even through his work in the *advertiser censored* industry, did he not even strike up friendship, even conversation with his co-stars in these adult movies? There just seems to be a lack of people who knew anything about him imo.

just a guess, but I think this may be the person in the rip-off report. Interesting that Justin Ling has interviewed the "girl" whose photos or linked in that report, but hasn't come up with anything on the subject of the report, even though lm claims to know him. I wonder if Justin has talked to the personal trainer...Hastings?

No way! Have you ever seen someone with Tardive Dyskinesia?? It's very bizarre and your first thought is, "Wow, there's seriously something very wrong with this person" or "Uh oh, this person is a meth head". Seriously, it's repetitive and very pronounced. I've seen this quite often in patients. Luka just appears to have some quirks, and perhaps tics (at worst). Yikes.

hey, don't shoot the messenger, I only wrote what I found about 'magnotta + antipsychotics' results. I'm no doctor and obviously don't have the competence to diagnose anyone, lol. I posted here because I found interesting. I watched a few videos about TD on youtube and it has different degrees of presentation, some people look disfigured while others have more subtle movements.

Anyway, I'm here to understand and read others opinions in a friendly enviroment. The only thing I'm almost certain about LM is that his personality is most likely ruled by narcissism and it is a fact he is using some medication.
Hope I made myself clear! Take care

just a guess, but I think this may be the person in the rip-off report. Interesting that Justin Ling has interviewed the "girl" whose photos or linked in that report, but hasn't come up with anything on the subject of the report, even though lm claims to know him. I wonder if Justin has talked to the personal trainer...Hastings?

Karmady thanks, do you have any links to the rip-off report?

Wow thanks, very interesting. I'd heard he had the alias Tony Luciforia but didn't know where the evidence was for that.
Really hope the trainer is interviewed, definitely looks like he at least struck up a friendship with LM.
Why was LM so intent on being known as a serial killer from the off? The mind boggles... hardly the type of fame anyone would want!!!

I havn't thought of that !! That would make sense !

no one is a "fan" of lm unless they are equally mentally ill or a young person on the crazy social media train who doesn't really get the gravity of the situation, imo. Personally, I see no current inkling of good in him, although I can identify with what MAY have been a PART of his experience up to a certain point in time.

In short, imo, anyone who is romaticizing lm is either just as ill as he is or too young to know better, and NO ONE is finding any current good in him because they can relate. afaik, no one here has committed such a crime, so there would be no basis for empathy at that level. jmo

Like those kids that attended the first hearing? 12-13 year olds? The thought of these kids attending the trial scares the bejesus out of me. One kid stated he was there because he wanted to become a defence attorney and wanted to see what defence tactic would be used at trial. The kid is 13 and in Junior High School. Maybe these are the same kids who were shown the video in their classroom.:what:

I find it very disturbing that these kids are attending the hearings and possibly the trial. Hopefully, the Judge imposes restrictions on age.

Where are the parents ? Would anyone allow their kid to attend this trial? I wouldn't.

Hi guys, thanks everyone who answered my question about Aspergers.
I've wondered about it because Anders Breivik apparently was diagnosed with a rare form of Aspergers and one thing very important about this syndrome is the lack of empathy to others and difficult in reading cues from other people. They also have some weird mannerisms like not looking into your eyes and have a monotone voice. Usually spend a lot of time learning one favourite interest and can have intense rage episodes as well out of the blue. These are some reasons that a lot of aspergers patients feel rather confortable online, because you don't need to interpret others body language for instance, you can write one smiley emoticon and be done.

I previously mentioned that swedish guy Marcus Jannes who had aspergers and shared his suicide video online that went viral. He was a guy who lived basically online and while he had few friends and family, his home was on cyberspace, he quit school because he couldn't interact with others and was on welfare due his disability. His major interest was things related to internet like games. And somehow he felt compelled to share his death where he lived the most: the internet.

Now, I'm not saying Magnotta has Aspergers, who am I to diagnose someone, but I just wondered the possibility. I think it is better to ask something than keep quiet lurking like I did since end of May and don't give any input at all. Also if i don't ask about it here, where else could I ask something so particular about this case?
I believe that asking doesn't mean I'm sympathetic to Luka and trying to find excuses for the monstrosity he created.

I'm just trying to understand LM mindset that lead to the crime, he doesn't sound to me (JMHO) like a typical psychopath because these people have strong self preservation instincts, I keep thinking LM was fueled mostly by his narcissist personality and something else. Narcissists lack empathy for others just like Psychopaths or Aspergers, don't they? The difference is how they behave and interact with people. AFAIK.

thanks again everyone who replied my post, you rock!

Hey Shimmers, you're welcome :) I looked at the links about hairloss and I found very interesting, I always heard that receeding hairline, baldness can be hereditary and after looking at Magnotta's grandfather, I guess it's no wonder he had a hair transplant while being so young. Could also be enviromental related like dieting or even medication, but in Luka's case I guess it's just genetics.

About the possible nosejob, let's wait and see if some of his relatives or friends will spill the beans about all those alleged surgeries. Luka's young pictures are just too grainy and I think it is difficult to be sure if we compare the picture of a child to an adult, I'm unsure... I will get back to you If I find some unseen photograph for comparison. Cheers!:seeya:

Thanks a lot, you're a treasure for sending me the link so quickly!
Well... I've studied te pictures from the myspace-site and I did some googling about hairloss by men. Firstly, yes his granddad was pretty bolding at a young age, so my train of thought is that it is hereditary. I googled some info about hairloss, sorry I googled only dutch websites, hence it is already late here, but what I have found is this:

http://www.huidinfo.nl/alopandr.html

http://www.kapsels.net/haarvragen/erfelijkheid_kaalheid.htm

In this article puts a down to earth answer whether or not boldness is connection with your maternal granddad.
Basicly ( omg i sound just like LM now, lulz ) it explains that boldness is linked with the X chromosome. which means it comes from your mothers side of the gene/dna pool.=QUOTE]

Like those kids that attended the first hearing? 12-13 year olds? The thought of these kids attending the trial scares the bejesus out of me. One kid stated he was there because he wanted to become a defence attorney and wanted to see what defence tactic would be used at trial. The kid is 13 and in Junior High School. Maybe these are the same kids who were shown the video in their classroom.:what:

I find it very disturbing that these kids are attending the hearings and possibly the trial. Hopefully, the Judge imposes restrictions on age.

Where are the parents ? Would anyone allow their kid to attend this trial? I wouldn't.

I don't know...I think it may be beneficial to those kids to see the reality of it all instead of the "romantizied" version of LM they have in their head....

Okay, so I did some reading on the side effects of a certain R drug. Apparently it is most likely to cause INSOMNIA or RESTLESSNESS. It can cause yawning but no where does it say it may cause fatigue or sleepiness. So re-thinking if this was used to dope up Lin Jun....
I read somewhere that LM ended up thinking morephine would be his "ideal" drug!

What are people's thoughts on this...
Do you think LM regrets what he has done?
Do you think if he could go back, he would do it all again?

Let me see if I can articulate my thoughts... I understand so much about people and their thoughts, actions, behaviors, etc., but I have a very difficult time articulating these thoughts.

People are confused about how they feel about Luka and his crime, which seems to contradict his persona. He's charming, good looking, articulate, and fragile, both physically and emotionally, yet he pulled off a horrific and well-orchestrated crime paying homage to modern day pop culture - and almost a pastiche of sorts.

Now add to that the impact the internet has had on our collective psyche. The "the world [wide web] is my stage" mentality. The disconnect, or perhaps the entire opposite, the blending/blurring between reality and fiction, real life and fantasy that we live on a daily basis through the web.

I'm getting too convoluted and oblique here. It romantisization. I think that deep inside we all want to find some little inkling of good in him because deep inside we all see a little of ourselves in him. Some see more of themselves than others.
Great post!

Upon catching up with today's posts for this thread, have a few reflections to share.

1. Someone asked why Luka seemed to be particularly interested in communicating to Russians that he was sick (a serial killer). Perhaps he felt safer hiding behind the language barrier. Also, he might have been impressed by certain violent media from that country, particularly "2 Men and a Hammer", a video I never knew of before reading about the Luka Magnotta case. Also, even though he added so many different groups to his twitter account, a marked number of them were white supremacist groups. If he was truly into white supremacy then he might be drawn to the strong white supremacist movement in Russia. He might see himself as someone the Russians would admire all-around. Maybe he even communicated or met people in Russia who his energy resonated with; they might have discussed murder. ...Another thought about racism/xenaphobia: I found it pretty scary that Luka at one time sought a middle eastern gay partner, saying that he had a thing for them. Somehow I doubt that was an authentic statement. Perhaps he was preying on them at the time. And maybe the 1 Lunatic 1 Icepick video is after all a film of a racist attack as the Chinese are reporting it.

2. Some have asked for evidence that Luka felt rejected. One article mentioned a schoolmate who said that Luka was picked on by his peers. That would involve a whole-sale rejection. Also, Luka mentioned his family using him for his money. Though, of course, we can't always rely on what he has to say, it's possible that he felt that this had happened. Further, he blogged and posted online a few different times about a long-term gay partner who would not come out of the closet and who blew him off a lot despite all his attempts to be good to the guy. That series of posts sounded sincere. Going back further, we think (know?) that he was raised by grandparents for a couple years in early childhood. Such an event might easily be interpreted as rejection by the parents since someone that age is too young to understand what is happening. It also just sounds like the family might have been too unstable a network to ever give him a feeling of security and love, even if no one intentionally harmed him.

3. Someone posted about Aspergers... Something I've considered before is whether many serial killers might suffer from this disorder. It might be the reason for an obsessive rigidity or ritual-like behavior that often occurs, as well as lack of emotional depth. Nothing is ever that simple but it's an interesting idea.

4. A lot of people have mentioned schizophrenics they've known, and contrasting Luka, have said that he couldn't possibly have that diagnosis. I've known unmedicated schizophrenics who while a little eccentric appeared normal for the most part. There are not only different types of schizophrenia, but there are also degrees of severity. I don't think we can rule it out yet as a possibility, though it's also possible that he helped create the diagnosis by lying to a mental health professional so that when he had his big day in court after killing people he'd be able to defend himself (as someone mentioned).

5. As far as Luka wanting to kill himself goes--I get the feeling that a lot of his hatred stems from not being able to be his own person with family controlling so much of his earlier life. So I think he is really freaking out about being caged and controlled now; he will associate prison with that early control. He also has achieved the fame (infamy) and is likely to regard it as a hollow victory since the grass is always greener, so he will now have to reflect on the absurdity of his own behavior. But his pride about always being misunderstood will keep him from wanting to share that with anyone. He will probably swing between finding himself disgusting and tiresome and feeding off of some fantasy to try to cope, for the rest of his life.

6. Concerning his facial structure, noses continue to grow and descend throughout our lives. Simple observation shows that small children tend to have little pug noses while old people have long droopy ones. But science has proven it also. The ears and nose continue to "grow" (they droop because of gravity and soft cartilage). As they droop they change shape a little, becoming more narrow. That doesn't mean Luka hasn't had plastic surgery though.

7. On whether Luka is a psychopath or a sociopath...Honestly, the map is not the territory. To really understand someone we need to go beyond whether they fit one quick category or another. Meanwhile, I don't buy for a minute that psychopaths grow up in better environments but there's no way to back up my conclusion that easily here. Maybe researchers/psychologists came up with the distinction because they were so disturbed by individuals they were trying to study that they ended up forcing an artificial difference to feel a sense of understanding (to feel the comfort of "knowing"). I've known people who were severely abused in most every way growing up, were totally psychopathic, highly educated, and too shrewd to ever talk about it openly. Most abuse is hidden from the public eye. A lot of people have told me their stories because they knew I wouldn't judge them. ...Also, I read an article online, while sleuthing this case, about brain studies showing that the psychopathic mind might sometimes be formed in infancy as a response to a neglectful mother. There wouldn't need to be a long history of abuse--just the first most formative years molding the personality and brain.
RE :But his pride about always being misunderstood will keep him from wanting to share that with anyone.

I am not sure if his new "audience" (!) is gonna want to listen to him much! IMO he will be isolated in jail, in terms of socially within the facility, another loss and something for which ,again, he has lost CONTROL over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giulian.57