IN - Sylvia Likens, 16, tortured to death, Indianapolis, 26 Oct 1965

She married JoHn Pace and moved to Marshalltown Iowa. Her husband left her after 33 years to take with someone he met on the internet. She has three sons. Two live locally to her and one lives in California.
She has been suspended from duties and the school board is meeting to decide on further action. It is unlikely she will be reinstated.
She loves to hunt as you can see by the picture.

She looks virtually the same to me. I wonder how her sons are feeling about now... :(

I wonder about Gertrude Baniszewski's childhood. I know she was close to her father, but not so with her mother. She is from a large family and is the middle child out of six children. I wonder about her relationship with her siblings. Was she abused or her parents religious?

She was pregnant when arrested and named the baby girl Gertrude after her mother. The name was changed by her adoptive parents. That says a lot actually.

This must undoubtedly be causing a lot of stress to her family.
She has daughter-in-laws and grandchildren who would most likely not
have known even if the sons did.

Wow where are you finding all this information. I wonder how much she thought about her pasted all these years....I also wonder if she is still in touch with her brother and sister.

I wonder about Gertrude Baniszewski's childhood. I know she was close to her father, but not so with her mother. She is from a large family and is the middle child out of six children. I wonder about her relationship with her siblings. Was she abused or her parents religious?

I remember at the time of her trial her attorney introduced evidence as to her abusive marriage but not her childhood that I can remember. She was obviously depressed and overwhelmed with the care of her children with hardly any financial support from her ex husband. This was before child support laws went into effect. She was on welfare I think, if I remember correctly. Both Paula and Gertrude should have spent the rest of their lives in prison but in new trials they were given lighter sentences. Paula only served a few years. She deserves to never have a minute of peace for her participation in the murder of an innocent child. Too bad if her sons, grandchildren and the public know about her horrendous crime, by not paying in prison she will have to pay in other ways. JMO

Gertrude moved in with Paula in Iowa after she was released. I think this shows that she was still close to her mother after everything that happened.
This makes me wonder if she ever felt what they did was wrong

Wow check this out.....hope this is allowed it was in the paper. Guess we know some of the names now.

Born in Indianapolis, Indiana, he was the son of John S., Sr. and Mary Blake of Mt. Vernon, Indiana. He was retired on disability. John was a member of the New Life Assembly of God Church in Lancaster. He served as the Director of Men s Ministry and was actively involved in various church activities. His greatest joy was his Grandchildren.

Surviving besides his wife and parents are 3 sisters: Paula, wife of John Pace of Iowa, Stephanie, wife of Kenneth Serikistad of Florida and Marie Shelton of Indiana and a brother: James Blake of New York.

Read more: http://lancasteronline.com/obituaries/local/512250_John-S--Blake-Jr--.html#ixzz2AN0M5giG

Wow check this out.....hope this is allowed it was in the paper. Guess we know some of the names now.

Born in Indianapolis, Indiana, he was the son of John S., Sr. and Mary Blake of Mt. Vernon, Indiana. He was retired on disability. John was a member of the New Life Assembly of God Church in Lancaster. He served as the Director of Men s Ministry and was actively involved in various church activities. His greatest joy was his Grandchildren.

Surviving besides his wife and parents are 3 sisters: Paula, wife of John Pace of Iowa, Stephanie, wife of Kenneth Serikistad of Florida and Marie Shelton of Indiana and a brother: James Blake of New York.

Read more: http://lancasteronline.com/obituaries/local/512250_John-S--Blake-Jr--.html#ixzz2AN0M5giG
Wow is right. Good find!

Wow is right. Good find!

Yeah kind of crazy he was living right here in Lancaster were I am. I can't seem to find an obit on his father. Wonder if Shirley died or if they just didn't
Talk as she isn't list......hmmm.

I remember this well. I passed by that house on my way to the grocery store that night.

was the grocery store the Standard on the corner of New York and Sherman? I lived just down the street on the corner of Market and Sherman when this occured. I was 10. I think it freaked out my parents so bad that we moved to Greenwood Indiana shortly after.

as a kid growing up in the neighborhood, I used to walk by that house all the time. it was very scary finding out what was going on in there.

I agree with the others. the old woman should have been executed and the other kids should have spent at the very least 20 years. I was shocked to find that they were in prison for as little as 3 years. rediculous......

knoeWe knew were she was but we didn't know what she was up to. Why wasn't she vetted? She is a child killer.

Sex offenders have to register but someone who tortures a girl to death doesn't? Ridiculous!

At any rate, I will note this on my half centenary thread in a couple of days but Sylvia was being tortured 50 years ago and she died 50 years ago next Monday as a result.

R.I.P. Sylvia

Here are a couple of good articles, published on October 22 and 23:

RetroIndy: The 1965 murder of Sylvia Likens

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/history/retroindy/2013/10/24/sylvia-likens/3178393/

Retro Indy: The Murder of Sylvia Likens, as told 50 years ago

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/...anapolis-crime-crime-horror-torture/74209878/

Years ago I read an old copy of The Indiana Torture Slaying which sparked an ongoing interest in true crime. Sylvia's case has stuck with me all this time and leaves me with a sense of unfinished business. That all these people got off with light sentences seems so damned unfair. That there were opportunities for Sylvia to be snatched away from that hell hole of a basement but no one stepped forward.

Maybe it's because it was my introduction into the horrors that people commit on innocent victims or maybe it's because I learned about this crime when I was young enough to relate to Sylvia as a teen that somehow imprinted this case on me - I don't know but I'll never forget what this little girl suffered.

Sex offenders have to register but someone who tortures a girl to death doesn't? Ridiculous!

At any rate, I will note this on my half centenary thread in a couple of days but Sylvia was being tortured 50 years ago and she died 50 years ago next Monday as a result.

R.I.P. Sylvia
RIP Sylvia I'm so sorry you suffered like you did..x

I just listened to a podcast re: the Sylvia Likens case yesterday - here's the link in case anyone else would like to - very informative and so tragic :(

I am hooked on podcasts, and true crime. I became interested in Sylvia Likens murder years ago, and its one that has stayed with me. I am so surprised that no big podcast hasn't done an episode on her. Some of the people who were found guilty of her murder are still alive. Some of them were children at the time. I am fascinated by this case, and horrified by the easy sentences on the criminals.

You can read the court documents here, Sylvia Likens | Home Page

It is a sad story of a family trying to make ends meet, leaves two of their older daughters with a single mother who had children who were friends with the daughters, (Sylvia and her sister).
The single mother became a leader in a mob mentality type attack against Sylvia. Children were the main abusers!

One of the murders, Paula, is still alive, and was actually found working for a school system as a lunch lady or bus driver or something. When they found out who she was, she lost her job. I believe there is alot more to this story that did not come out, and the neighborhood had to know what was going on in that house.

Just wanted to share one story that haunts me and I carry close to my heart.

Thank you mods for moving my post, I did not find this one when I searched! Still learning!

The 1965 torture and murder of Sylvia Likens

Today, marks 53 years since her horrific and heartbreaking murder.

- Lighting a candle and saying yet another prayer that Sylvia is experiencing eternal peace and love. -
Thanks for that Medstudies! Maybe it's because I learned about Sylvia's case at a young age from reading The Indiana Torture Slaying or maybe because I was about her age when I read the book it was her case that sparked my interest in true crime.

Over the years I've thought about her and am still angry that so many people involved in her torture and murder got off with no real punishment. It's good to see others who remember her and what she went through.

RIP Sylvia.

Thanks for that Medstudies! Maybe it's because I learned about Sylvia's case at a young age from reading The Indiana Torture Slaying or maybe because I was about her age when I read the book it was her case that sparked my interest in true crime.

Over the years I've thought about her and am still angry that so many people involved in her torture and murder got off with no real punishment. It's good to see others who remember her and what she went through.

RIP Sylvia.
Thank you MsMarple! And same here, about reading the story. I grew up 30 miles from Indy. I was a few years younger but read the story after sneaking it from my older sister. (Mom was not happy!)

I was so glad to see this thread and the posts remembering her. It is still heartbreaking, the depths of depravity. The injustice. I just can’t. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3bell4010066bppts
Back