Robin Williams To Undergo Heart Surgery

From link in post #1:

"Funnyman Robin Williams will undergo heart surgery after he was admitted Monday to at a South Florida hospital because the actor complained of shortness of breath, his publicist said.

A statement from Williams' representative, Diane Rosen, said the actor will have "to undergo surgery for an aortic valve replacement" and will postpone his comedy tour until the fall, the Associated Press reported.

"I'm so touched by everyone's support and well wishes," Williams said in a statement. "This tour has been amazing fun and I can't wait to get back out on the road after a little tune-up."

The 57-year old comedian complained of shortness of breath and canceled four performances of his one-man show "Weapons of Self Destruction" after doctors first evaluated him and recommended a week of rest."

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Robin and for his family.

I just had a 26 year old brother go through this same surgery.I pray for him and his family.

My husband had an aortic valve replaced 12 years ago and he's doing fine. He was 43 at the time. It's a Carbo Medic valve, made of metal and plastic and he clicks pretty loud with it.
They have improved this type of surgery often not even cutting through the breast bone and pulling the ribs apart. It can be a "keyhole" surgery now. I hope that's what Robin is facing.
The only problem my hubby had was learning to read all over again. Something strange happens to people who undergo open heart surgery when they are put on the heart-lung machine.
There have been cases where people suddenly are not allergic to things that bothered them before. Or suddenly a person is able to write music when they couldn't before. Lots of depression within about 4 months.
My husband lost the ability to read and comprehend what he was reading.
But he's past that and I thank God there was a way to replace that valve. He has to take blood thinners forever and there are certain foods with vitamin K that he can no longer eat. But he's here and he's Alive. It's a medical miracle!

AZW I'm so glad to hear your husband is recovering well.

Tonia I hope that your brother is well also.

AZW I'm so glad to hear your husband is recovering well.

Tonia I hope that your brother is well also.

Thanks Kat for the well wishes. I too hope Tonia's bro is doing well too.
My husband and I always kept a sense of humor about his surgery. When he first came home from the hospital, his mom came from Chicago to visit him. She was so worried about him.
We told her his valve was a "clap-on/clap-off" type. I'd clap my hands and he would fall forward holding his chest. We thought it was funny as hell. She didn't!
I'm just amazed he can be walking around with that hardware in his heart. At night I can hear the plastic clicking back and forth as the blood rushes through it, as he sleeps. It's music to my ears.
When he had the valve replaced the doctor told me after the surgery that his valve was so large they had to place a Carbo-Medic's brand in his heart because the one they usually use, The St. Luke's model, did come in that large of size.
We didn't think much of it at the time, but less than a year after his surgery we found out that the St. Luke's model used in the past year was being recalled. Can you imagine? Those who had that model planted in their heart had to have it removed and replaced. He lucked out twice.
Sorry to go on so long about heart surgery but I think these proceedures they do on the heart are just out of this world. We are very fortunate he could have a surgery that would take care of something that 25 years ago no one survived. Life is wonderful!
azwriter

azwriter, don't apologize. Up until Barbara Bush's surgery and now Robin Williams' (all within days of each other) I wasn't familiar with this type of surgery.

You and your husband do have a great sense of humor about it. The clap on/clap off is hilarious. Although, like his mom, I might not have gotten such a laugh out of it right after his surgery. Hopefully she's forgiven you two LOL.

Hey All who have had loved ones undergo this procedure, please continue to share your experiences. My 72 year old mother has just been told she will need to have this procedure. We don't know when as she is currently recovering from another procedure and they want to get her stronger first. So we have more time to worry and be nervous about it, I guess. Anyway, reading about your experiences may help me to know more about what to expect, so please, continue to share. Thanks

Az, I just about choked on my cornbread (eating lunch as I read) reading about the clap on/clap off... what better way to deal with a worrisome situation: humor. Bless yalls wonderful hearts... and the valve, too. :D

Robin had just announced he was headed to Broadway for a run right around my birthday... I was excited to hear it, given that he is one of my faves (comedian/actor) that I have yet to see perform live. I hope he makes a quick recovery and is able to get back to his craft... his free-style/improvisational talents are phenomenal... and his acting is superb. Dead Poet's Society is in my top 10 of favorite movies...

Hey All who have had loved ones undergo this procedure, please continue to share your experiences. My 72 year old mother has just been told she will need to have this procedure. We don't know when as she is currently recovering from another procedure and they want to get her stronger first. So we have more time to worry and be nervous about it, I guess. Anyway, reading about your experiences may help me to know more about what to expect, so please, continue to share. Thanks

aafromaa, from what I understand, women seem to fair better in this surgery. But that's not surprising. Women are the strong sex anyway. Usually though with women, it's the mitral valve that needs replacing.
I think the first 24 hours are the scariest. But, the personal care the patients receives is really awesome.
You might go online and google this surgery and get more information. The heart surgeons usually have booklets that explain what's going to happen. Ask for one. It's always better to have an education about health care before one or your love one faces it.
Things will go well. Be positive and I'll send out some prayers for your mom.
azwriter

azwriter, don't apologize. Up until Barbara Bush's surgery and now Robin Williams' (all within days of each other) I wasn't familiar with this type of surgery.

You and your husband do have a great sense of humor about it. The clap on/clap off is hilarious. Although, like his mom, I might not have gotten such a laugh out of it right after his surgery. Hopefully she's forgiven you two LOL.

Yes, she did forgive us and eventually did laugh about it. We still pull that stunt.
One of the side effects of an artificial valve, unlike using a pig valve, is the possibility of small strokes when the blood gets too thick. That's why the blood thinners and monthy blood tests are so important to check and see how thin the blood is.
I'm still in awe that this kind of surgery is possible.

Eeep... AZ my post was meant for you, not Kat... egads, I am getting feeble minded I think... sorry about that.

Eeep... AZ my post was meant for you, not Kat... egads, I am getting feeble minded I think... sorry about that.

Elphaba, no need to apologize. We all make mistakes. Like me, you probably needed a nap at the time. LOL
azwriter

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back