Peanuts Banned On Flights

Well, I guess I'll miss my peanuts. On the other hand, it will be very good for people with peanut severe allergies.

Huh, I thought this happened some time ago. I noticed the carriers switching to pretzels some time ago. I don't really crave or love peanuts so it won't bother me. In fact, I have a can of mixed nuts on my desk and if you open it all that's left are the peanuts - the lowly nut that everyone picks around.

Huh, I thought this happened some time ago. I noticed the carriers switching to pretzels some time ago. I don't really crave or love peanuts so it won't bother me. In fact, I have a can of mixed nuts on my desk and if you open it all that's left are the peanuts - the lowly nut that everyone picks around.

Before the merger with Delta, NWA served pretzels with beverages instead of peanuts. After the merger, Delta/NW flights began serving peanuts again. It made sense because Delta's headquarters is in Atlanta. Doesn't really matter to me because I usually pass on anything with too much salt when I fly so that I don't end up with ring around the ankle :D

Ah...thanks for the post. Peanuts, Atlanta, Georgia, Jimmy Carter; it's all makiong sense now.

Ring around the ankle! I hate that too. Flying has become so NOT FUN. They've managed to squeeze every bit of enjoyment out of air travel. I'm glad I can still order a cocktail (or three) on the plane. Hey, don't judge me. If my ankles are going to swell and I'm going to risk getting some deadly airborne disease or die in a crash, just let me be buzzed OK?

I can't imagine being deathly allergic to peanuts and having to fly. Now that would put a whole 'nuther' level of SUCK on travelling.

I'm highly allergic to cats. I think we should ban all people who own cats from flying because their dander will make me sneeze.

It's not that I'm not sympathetic to people who have nut allergies (my niece has them), but her mother takes precautions if she's going to be in school or in a public place by giving her allergy meds.

I don't know. I also would like to ban crying babiies on airplanes. And, stinky people. :)

It's Friday...I'm a little snarky!

Sorry, but this is "nuts!"

Lots of people are allergic to lots of things...if parents are flying with their peanut-allergic kids, don't let them eat peanuts. Or can't they even be in the same high-flying metal tube with a peanut? I give up...there is a person for every allergy and vice versa...no one should go anywhere, ever. The nothing bad could happen. I too am in a bad mood today, must be my allergies.

How about serving peanuts and pretzels? Good grief.

I have a son that is severely allergic to all tree nuts, soy, and peanuts too.

He's had life threatening anaphylactic reactions twice.

He knows to read carefully ingredient lists and to steer clear of peanuts as well. In fact, I've taught him to be careful of kissing a girlfriend who has eaten those items as well. He could have a reaction from that too. (was a case of a teen who died after kissing a friend who had eaten pnut or nuts).

So to offer something else to passengers that are allergic is fine. For those that are worried about having minor reactions from travelling while others eat pnuts---I would think that a a dose of benedryl or other antihistimines would be enough? (from reading the article in the OP)

Lots of people are allergic to lots of things...if parents are flying with their peanut-allergic kids, don't let them eat peanuts. Or can't they even be in the same high-flying metal tube with a peanut? I give up...there is a person for every allergy and vice versa...no one should go anywhere, ever. The nothing bad could happen. I too am in a bad mood today, must be my allergies.

Its called 30 seconds of my son having someone TOUCH him with a peanut, his airways close, and we have an epi pen that will buy us 30-40 minutes. SOrry you're not getting your nuts. Tragic.

I noticed they switched over to pretzels awhile ago, but trail mix is kind of a mainstay of airport newsstands.

Me too. When we flew to Seattle last summer, we were served pretzels. I haven't seen peanuts in a long time ;)

I think it's a good idea anyway. People with severe allergies can die quickly even by inhaling "peanut dust". Scary!

Mel

Its called 30 seconds of my son having someone TOUCH him with a peanut, his airways close, and we have an epi pen that will buy us 30-40 minutes. SOrry you're not getting your nuts. Tragic.

You're so right. And it's not even touching the nut. If someone next to you opens a bag, the "dust" goes right into the air. I think we can all live without nuts, if it means saving 1 person.

Now if the airlines would only do something about the air system! Every time I get off a plane my nose is running and my eyes are all red!

Back on topic :)

Mel

I'm highly allergic to cats. I think we should ban all people who own cats from flying because their dander will make me sneeze.

It's not that I'm not sympathetic to people who have nut allergies (my niece has them), but her mother takes precautions if she's going to be in school or in a public place by giving her allergy meds.

I don't know. I also would like to ban crying babiies on airplanes. And, stinky people. :)

Oh this isn't a funny subject, but I had to tell you your post gave me a good chuckle :) And I say ban all those little doggies in their purses too! People actually carry them on the plane now! Go figure!

Mel

Peanut allergies can result in anaphlactic shock, leading to death. A person with a peanut allergy can react to the scent of peanuts........and die, without ever having eaten, touched or even SEEN the peanut! I have a son with a peanut allergy, and believe me, it is not fun to experience this type of reaction...it is like being slowly strangled to death.

Allergy medications work wonders. I also take "preventative" medications before working in my garden and they do help. But not for a peanut allergy!

LOL about the crying babies and stinky people! Totally agree!

:dance:

Wow... someone's LIFE may be in danger here. My nieces both have peanut allergies. One has gone into anaphylactic shock -- after playing with a playmate who ate peanuts at her own home before coming over. It's not something to play around with.

I don't mind being inconvenienced (I love peanuts) if it removes a threat to someone else's life...

Peanuts were served on Delta flights to/from Detroit/Fort Lauderdale just this past winter. There were also peanut butter crackers in one of the for-purchase snack boxes.

The article made an interesting point: how would one regulate products brought on the planes by passengers? Not peanuts given out by the eairline, but peanuts the passengers brought on themselves? I guess TSA/Homeland security could find a way, wasn't it George Washington Carver, the scientist and inventor dubbed "The black Leonardo da Vinci" by Time Magazine, who researched alternative uses for peanuts to create nitroglycerin, the active ingredient in dynamite.

Nitroglycerin is a highly volatile explosive that can explode when shaken. To make dynamite, you mix nitroglycerin with a stabilizer (diatomaceous earth or just regular sawdust) to make it less sensitive, so you don't blow yourself up when using it. In short, you can make dynamite with peanuts, sawdust, a chemistry set, and a whole lot of time on your hands. Have fun, kids!

hmmm, I just flew last Tuesday and was given peanuts, as well as pb cookies? I admit, while I was crunching my nuts, I was thinking, gosh I hope no one on this plane is allergic. I'm one of those irritating passengers who flies babies and purse dogs though. Sometimes on the same flight! I do feel for those with severe allergies and would happily have my peanuts replaced with pretzels or something similarly crunchy. It seems like a ton of warmongering over a tiny pouch containing 20 or so nuts. I'd be happy to give them up, if it helps someone breathe freely, or be more comfortable during our ride.

I don't even see why this is an issue....they're only peanuts.

"Hey, listen, I'm allergic. I could be SERIOUSLY ill if I come into contact with a peanut. Maybe even die. Could we all agree not to eat peanuts for 7-8 hours?"

"NO. My peanuts are very important to me. I literally can't wait until I'm on the ground to eat a peanut. It means that much to me."

This is definitely a "first world problem".

Holy ponies.

The problem is with peanuts served on flight after flight, they're literally ground into the seats and the dust is floating through the air. There are few other allergens that are this life threatening from casual contact.

You may not care about the well being or survival of these people, but you will care if your plane has to make an unscheduled stop for a medical emergency.:loser:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back