First Baptist Church of Crystal Springs, MS cancels minority wedding

I don't see it as politically related at all. The five or six church members were concerned with skin color, not political affiliation.

I think it's good so many of us are shocked, and I think those subjected to racism are more likely to cry foul and stand up for themselves, due to how far we've come. So what was the norm, is thankfully now so out of the ordinary, it's news.

We humans have a tendency to group and stereotype, to varying degrees. That won't end but we can certainly diminish it by looking at ourselves.

Racism & serving Jesus don't fit together well. This small group was very wrong, and I'm glad so many are saying so. All have sinned. Hoping this bitter few can let go of their hardheartedness and learn & grow. If not, they need to face church discipline.

Moo

I hope they are allowed to act according to their own conscience, the same as everyone else. After all, that is a God-given right (as in free will), isn't it?

If racism isn't "political", what is it?

My point wasn't that the couple in question were banned from marrying at the church because they were presumed to support Barack Obama.

My point was that people who once kept their racist beliefs to themselves seem to conflate their own prejudices with all criticism of the President. And so even the fairest criticism of Obama seems to embolden them to openly display their racist hatred.

There's no question in my mind that such incidents have increased since 2008. Of course the bad economy is a factor (fear brings out the worst in folks), but it's hard not to see a connection between the first African-American president and a sudden increase in overt racism. IMO, obviously.

It's immoral and has existed for thousands of years, between different ethnic groups, tribes, etc.

Regarding this situation, I wouldn't be surprised to find out these few were a couple generations older and hadn't really challenged old mindsets, as opposed to a new circumstance eliciting it.

But, we can disagree about that bit. At least we've all agreed it was wrong!

This is the appropriate place for this post. It's off topic but I think it's on topic enough to put on this thread.

I had a conversation with a lesbian friend the other day. We were talking about the word tolerance and how tolerance is being focused on as of late. Tolerance for any minority (race, creed, religion, sexual orientation). All the minorities.

And she said speaking from one of the minorities that she personally doesn't want to be just tolerated. She couldn't care less if anyone else is able to *tolerate* her life choices.

But she paused and she said: "I don't care about tolerance, I care about equality, I want to be treated equally I don't give a flying "Fbomb" if someone personally inside their heart or mind disagrees with me as long as they dont' "Fbomb" with my right to equality, dignity and respect".

They can go ahead and live their lives as they wish as long as they don't stop me from living and enjoying mine but they better treat me with dignity and respect and give me my equal rights.

I hadn't thought about that aspect. I shared it with my Son. It made me think of a more concise response my Husband gives people that openly speak about their dislike for his race. Of course, they always say "well not you...I'm talking about people in general" when they start off and he will look them in the eye and say "oh yeah? That's on YOU".

(meaning the weight of the bigotry or prejudice is the on the person who owns it, he says he's not going to carry that weight for them that his sole focus in life isn't to go around trying to enlighten people. He's got other fish to fry. They are the one's that have to live with themselves, he shuts them down and walks away).

"I was just trying to think about a win-win," he said Sunday. "The thing is, I'm a peacemaker, and sometimes because I'm a peacemaker it gets me in trouble. The thing about it is this: I love the people of our church and that's the bottom line."

Ray Henderson said he thought his daughter and son-in-law were only going to ask for an apology for the situation, adding that the church has become a home for his family.

"I have grown to love these people for doing things for me and my son that nobody else would," he said. "These are some honest, loving people, and since I've been coming here, they've opened their arms to us."
good info here, including how close pastor & bride's family are.

At services on Sunday, the congregation's leadership addressed the controversy in a statement read to the church.

"Our many ministries here are open to everyone and have been for many years," the church deacons said in a statement read to the congregation, according to The Clarion Ledger. "We would never consider doing otherwise."

"I wanted to come as a voice of racial reconciliation and spiritual reconciliation," said Thompson, who is African-American, explaining his decision to go to the church on Sunday.

Thompson said he was welcomed at the service. "I was allowed to give the closing prayer," he said. He said he prayed God would forgive all of them for their sins and that they would be able to find reconciliation.

"Mississippi Baptists both reject racial discrimination and at the same time respect the autonomy of our local churches to deal with difficulties and disagreements under the lordship of Jesus," said Dr. Jim Futral, the executive director the Mississippi Baptist Convention.

Oldham said the local church needs to take corrective measures and he said they appear to be doing that in this case.

"The SBC has taken a strong position that racism is a sin and Christians should always oppose it," he said, referring to the Southern Baptist Convention. "We're also grieved when a small group attempts to set policy for the entire congregation."

"There are valid as well as nonvalid reasons for not permitting a couple to get married with the blessing of that local congregation of believers," Land said. "The race or ethnicity of that couple is never a valid reason and any local body of believers who rejects a couple on those grounds should be reprimanded."
more here

Sounds like everyone is handling this well, addressing the wrongs, and healing. Glad to hear it.

Moo

Racism definitely still exists. People have this idea that because the KKK isn't lynching black people, or because we don't have separate water foundations, that racism is a thing of the past. But from reading comments on the Internet, where people are anonymous, I have realized that racism is still a huge problem. For most people, it's worst to be called a racist than to actually be one. People have this dumb idea that because they aren't a member of the KKK, they can say whatever they want, and it's not racist.

This is like a typical conversation:

Person #1: *says something racist*
Person #2: You shouldn't say that. That's racist.
Person #1: OMG HOW DARE YOU CALL ME A RACIST. I HAVE BLACK FRIENDS.

Instead, why can't Person #1 respond this way?:

Person #1: *apologizes*

Racism definitely still exists. People have this idea that because the KKK isn't lynching black people, or because we don't have separate water foundations, that racism is a thing of the past. But from reading comments on the Internet, where people are anonymous, I have realized that racism is still a huge problem. For most people, it's worst to be called a racist than to actually be one. People have this dumb idea that because they aren't a member of the KKK, they can say whatever they want, and it's not racist.

This is like a typical conversation:

Person #1: OMG HOW DARE YOU CALL ME A RACIST. I HAVE BLACK FRIENDS.

Instead, why can't Person #1 respond this way?:

Person #1: *apologizes*

eileenhawkeye, scenario #1 is a textbook learning situation with scenario #2 being the correct or somewhat ideal response. Unfortunately, some people will never learn (feel) the second response.

It is indeed a shame.

MOO

eileenhawkeye, scenario #1 is a textbook learning situation with scenario #2 being the correct or somewhat ideal response. Unfortunately, some people will never learn (feel) the second response.

It is indeed a shame.

MOO

It is. And it also indicates the deception practiced by the human mind. People are perfectly capable of holding racist attitudes while insisting their own black friends are the "exceptions".

It is. And it also indicates the deception practiced by the human mind. People are perfectly capable of holding racist attitudes while insisting their own black friends are the "exceptions".

I tiotally agree, Nova!

There has never been a black wedding at the First Baptist Church in Crystal Springs, Miss., since its founding in 1883. According to Pastor Stan Weatherford, some church members objected so strongly to breaking that precedent, they threatened to oust him from his pastorship.
Rather than risk his job, Weatherford, who is white, said he decided to marry the pair at a black church down the road.
If this is accurately reported, this pretty much closes the loop for me. I wish them all healing!!

link here

A long established tradition for sure.

JMO but it may be that one has already sold one's soul when deciding to take a job in such a congregation and it's just downhill from there.

“We, the church, realize that the Hendersons and Wilsons should never have been asked to relocate their wedding. This wrong decision resulted in hurt and sadness for everyone. Both the pastor and those involved in the wedding location being changed have expressed their regrets and sorrow for their actions,” the church said.

“As a church, we express our apology to Te’Andrea and Charles Wilson for the hurt that was brought to them in the hours preceding their wedding and beyond. We are seeking forgiveness and reconciliation with our Lord Jesus Christ, Te’Andrea and Charles, family and friends of the Hendersons and Wilsons, our church family, and our community for the actions and attitudes that have recently occurred,” the statement continued.
link

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
locallady50
Back