NY - Woman on first date dies in balcony fall 17th Floor

this is one of my worst fears but I've never actually heard of it happening until now

"Jennifer Rosoff went outside for a cigarette with her date, who she met online, about 12.50am when the railing of the narrow balcony collapsed after she propped her leg on it to stretch, according to DNAinfo.

When the volunteer charity worker's date told her that it wasn't safe to lean on the railing, she insisted she 'did it all the time' before tumbling from the Stonehedge 57 apartment ledge, landing on construction scaffolding on the first floor."

From this description, I can't really understand what the woman who fell was doing. Perhaps a "dancer's stretch"? And the photo is not what I expected to see either. The railings look to be quite thick, but perhaps they are separate pieces of hollow metal. According to the article the building is old, and the guy heard "pops" when it happens. Sounds like some welds let go.

Jeez! Scary!

Such a horrible accident, my thoughts are with her family and friends. I feel terrible for her date; it's going to take a while for him to get over, I can't even imagine witnessing something like this.

Rest in peace, Jennifer. :rose:

From this description, I can't really understand what the woman who fell was doing. Perhaps a "dancer's stretch"?

It was 1 am on a Thursday night, she was on the balcony with a guy she just met on the internet and then brought home. Alcohol was almost certainly involved. It is anyone's guess as to what she/they were doing on the balcony.

Not judging just being realistic. Yes balconies are scary.

It was 1 am on a Thursday night, she was on the balcony with a guy she just met on the internet and then brought home. Alcohol was almost certainly involved. It is anyone's guess as to what she/they were doing on the balcony.

Not judging just being realistic. Yes balconies are scary.

Smoking, but it doesn't matter what she was doing. The balcony railing was rotten.
Had they been doing something, he would have gone over with her.

Smoking, but it doesn't matter what she was doing. The balcony railing was rotten.
Had they been doing something, he would have gone over with her.

But it is being reported that the railing is metal. AFAIK, metal doesn't rot. The article says that it bent and photos show it bent in a downward V shape. How can that happen?

A photo of the corner balcony of the apartment where Rosoff lived shows the top two metal railings bent down in a V-shape.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/woman-killed-17-story-fall-nyc-balcony-19838088

Daily mail, much as I dislike posting tabloid links, has the photos of the balcony and the victim:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...te-falls-death-balcony-railing-collapses.html

Here is a photo...
article-2382663-1B1AA764000005DC-616_634x476.jpg

Nevermind, the railing is not actually bent, as indicated in the Daily Mail article, but rather, the part that gave way is a corner that was already bent to make the corner of the balcony rail and appears to have disconnected to the rest of the railing. The above photos are of the railing lying on it's side, giving the appearance that it was bent in the accident.

You can see it better in the top image in this article...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57596589/woman-on-first-date-plunges-17-floors-from-nyc-balcony/

I think the proper term for metal is "degrading" not rotting. Metal is equally affected by the elements as wood is. Rust = rot, and the cement hooks loosen as the cement also "degrades". Everything breaks down when exposed to the elements, including metals, some metals break down more slowly, but still break down. Take that convo further another time with manmade housing, it is still the same. It still breaks down, sometimes more slowly than others, but breaks down....

I live in an older City too, older than NY, and it has become a bit of a college City recently, only the slumlords don't care or keep up. We have had many accidents here in recent years b/c of apartment building balconies. Some just fall completely through. Metal or wood. Somehow this slumlords never end up paying for it. A clause says they bought it when it was already gone bad, not the right terminology, and the slumlords have owned the properties longer than this young lady lived. I guess no one pushes it and the City concedes to the money coming in from slumlords filing suit against renters not paying. I have no idea.

Very, very sad indeed. I hope someone pursues in this matter.

Concrete can crumble...metal can rust....screws can fall out.

Can't even imagine what her last seconds were like.

RIP

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back