Identified! IL - Will Co., Male body in Des Plaines River, May'09 - Gary Schmidt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Morphy is Drew's step or half brother (can't remember which offhand). He was afraid of Drew, IIRC. Drew chose him to help because he had a history of drinking and mental issues from ten years prior and Drew played on his weaknesses, imo. Drew is a very cunning individual.

We should have a thread on Tom M. here if you want to read up on him. ;)

Tom is DP's step brother............no blood relationship. Tom's father married DP's mother, and both brought children into the marriage.

Tom was afraid of DP and helped DP move the blue container from the master bedroom to the Denali, not wanting to refuse his step-brother. But in a recent interview, TM stated that DP originally approached him a day or two prior to Stacy's disappearance, asking him to rent a storage unit in his name for DP to use. TM had the impression that DP was up to no good and refused to rent the storage unit.

That thought crossed my mind as well. Cassandra did say that Stacy never had any cash.

Stacy was ready to leave DP and perhaps she was rebelling against his control by carrying cash and hiding activities from him. He did not like it.

KING: Just this, if you would, Joe, it's been reported that when Drew took his stepbrother Tom home, Tom went and talked to his neighbor about what happened. Here's what the neighbor had to say on the "Today" show.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

WALTER MARTINECK JR., DREW PETERSON'S NEIGHBOR: His eyes were sunken in the back of his head. He took me by my shoulders and told my I can't say anything, and he just told me that he thinks he helped dispose of Stacy's body.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Why did he think that he had done that?

MARTINECK: Because when he helped Drew, that's what he told me, when he had helped Drew take something out of the house, it was warm to the touch.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

KING: All right, Joe, I would imagine as a good lawyer, you would have asked Drew about that?

BRODSKY: Well, absolutely. And it did not occur. Tomas Morphy (ph) is a very troubled individual. In looking at his past, he has multiple psychiatric admissions, he has multiple DUI convictions. His wife, by the way, Tom Morphy's wife vanished 10, 12 years ago without a trace.

So when you look at this individual, you really have to wonder how credible of a witness he is. And the fact that he may are repeated something to a neighbor doesn't make him any more credible. He's just a troubled individual. And his story doesn't seem to make sense because we're talking -- people talk about moving a barrel, and then the barrel becomes a tub and then the tub becomes a tote bag. In fact, the state's attorney in Will County has so much trouble in his testimony that they haven't taken him before the grand jury because of what has been reported about his memory lapses that have occurred.

http://www.westwoodone.com/pg/jsp/l...id=73A8AFB48580C890FC3852A07C9B3C42?pid=19590

(No date given for transcript on LKL that I could find.)

I haven't followed this case as closely as all of you have, but it doesn't keep me from forming an opinion about this. Maybe you all who know all the details about this can explain why I am crazy. Here's my theory: If this does turn out to be Stacy, what are the chances that someone involved arranged to have the body turn up now? Like someone that helped Drew dispose of the body, knew where it was, but was very very afraid of Drew to ever say a word. Now finally, Drew is behind bars and this person doesn't have anything to be afraid of anymore and the body magically shows up. Maybe that is all too "conspiracy theory", but I just don't believe in coincidences. I'm very very skeptical of the timing.

I can't imagine what the families must be going through, because I am on pins and needles and am not connected to this in any way. I am very hopeful that at a minimum they will be able to identify this body so that this could be a resolution for someone's family.

A lot of people put cash in their jean pockets. If I run into a 7-11 real quickly I may stuff my change in my jeans. I have even put jeans in the washer and washed money. :)

I know nothing about forensics. Does anyone know if there would be enough DNA left on the clothing to do any good in identifying the person? It doesn't seem logical to me that there would be...but I really have little knowledge in forensics.

I think it is a real shame that the woman who saw the blue barrel in the fall was blown off!!!:waitasec:

Stacy was ready to leave DP and perhaps she was rebelling against his control by carrying cash and hiding activities from him. He did not like it.
You do make a good point. She did get a new cell phone and had been changing things.

Wouldn't it just tick him off to know she was carrying cash and he didn't go through her pockets to rip her off? Sounds like Drew anyway.

I haven't followed this case as closely as all of you have, but it doesn't keep me from forming an opinion about this. Maybe you all who know all the details about this can explain why I am crazy. Here's my theory: If this does turn out to be Stacy, what are the chances that someone involved arranged to have the body turn up now? Like someone that helped Drew dispose of the body, knew where it was, but was very very afraid of Drew to ever say a word. Now finally, Drew is behind bars and this person doesn't have anything to be afraid of anymore and the body magically shows up. Maybe that is all too "conspiracy theory", but I just don't believe in coincidences. I'm very very skeptical of the timing.

I can't imagine what the families must be going through, because I am on pins and needles and am not connected to this in any way. I am very hopeful that at a minimum they will be able to identify this body so that this could be a resolution for someone's family.

I don't think that this is a crazy thought at all! The same thing raised my hinky meter. Maybe someone was no longer afraid of DP..now that he's in jail.

So see, you aren't the only skeptical one:)

If she had been buried, I could see it being possible. Under the circumstances, if this is Stacy...it would be impossible for someone to arrange such a find if she was dumped into the river.

What do we expect him to say? He can't say, "My client is very upset at the possibility it is Stacy because he last saw her in the river in a blue barrel where he placed her." LOL

LOL. I know SS. Wouldn't it be nice if he would man up and tell everyone where he put Stacy?

I just thought unconcerned was a weird thing to say. Or at least not very well thought out :) Because Drew should be concerned that this could be his children's mommy and harm came her way by someone else, KWIM?

On the other hand, Drew will stop at nothing in his story that she ran off with another man so I guess that's why he is unconcerned.

I'm confusing myself :crazy:

Just a question, does it bother anyone if the same Coroner is performing this autopsy that performed the first one on Kathleen Savio? The one where she was found to have drowned in a dry bathtub with all the bruises? I'm aware that a Coroner's Jury ruled on the cause, but I feel that he needs to step aside and another Coroner perform the autopsy. JMO. :confused:

:eek:

He's still the Coroner???

LOL. I know SS. Wouldn't it be nice if he would man up and tell everyone where he put Stacy?

I just thought unconcerned was a weird thing to say. Or at least not very well thought out :) Because Drew should be concerned that this could be his children's mommy and harm came her way by someone else, KWIM?

On the other hand, Drew will stop at nothing in his story that she ran off with another man so I guess that's why he is unconcerned.

I'm confusing myself :crazy:
You used Drew and man in the same sentence. LMAO

If she had been buried, I could see it being possible. Under the circumstances, if this is Stacy...it would be impossible for someone to arrange such a find if she was dumped into the river.

not to butt into your conversation but I think what Pegatha meant was that lets say Drew found some OTHER person besides Morphey to rent a storage unit and moved the barrel there, and this OTHER person was scared of DREW, now that he is behind bars.. this other person drops the barrel over the side of the bridge.... where he knows there have been and will be searches for stacy going on. its possible...

I"m curious..............do any of those who live locally know if there's still LE activity going on at the site where the remains were found? I hope they're still looking for other body parts and evidence.

On another note...........just what was DP's three days of "head clearing" all about? Do you suppose that those three days were spent disposing of Stacy's remains........in separate locations? I've been thinking about the possibility that since the remains only consist of torso, pelvis, and upper portions of the legs, that the remains could have been dismembered prior to disposal. Of course, I'm making a lot of assumptions here.......first assumption is that the remains are Stacy's and secondly that she was dismembered as opposed to animals or natural forces dismembering the body.

not to butt into your conversation but I think what Pegatha meant was that lets say Drew found some OTHER person besides Morphey to rent a storage unit and moved the barrel there, and this OTHER person was scared of DREW, now that he is behind bars.. this other person drops the barrel over the side of the bridge.... where he knows there have been and will be searches for stacy going on. its possible...

This is more along the lines of my thinking. This is supposedly close to a bikers bar, maybe he paid someone to keep her "in storage"

I realize I have a vivid imagination...BUT the timing is very interesting.

OTOH so many people have wanted both of these women found, and prayed for it...It might just be the MIRACLE we have been hoping for.

:eek:

He's still the Coroner???

Nope different coroner. This is the coroner who arranged for Kathleen's exhumation and 2nd autopsy. He is the one who helped to get her COD changed from accidental to homicide.

Drew's cousin was on GMA this AM...he said he thinks it's her based on the fact that he HELPED Drew remove a heavy blue barrel from their bedroom. Am I a naive, or does that make anyone else go, "WHY WOULD YOU HELP SOMEONE YOU DIDN'T TRUST DO SOMETHING THAT UNUSUAL!!!". It just SEEMS evil, didn't BS meter go off and tell him this was wrong and he shouldn't help? I realize it was before Stacy was officially missing, but still. Call me crazy and midwestern, but we don't keep blue barrels in our bedrooms here in Ohio. :)

What always gets me is all the people who help someone move and dispose of an actual body as if they were being called over to move a couch. :eek:

Who would do that? Who? People that don't think like we do I guess.

I"m curious..............do any of those who live locally know if there's still LE activity going on at the site where the remains were found? I hope they're still looking for other body parts and evidence.

On another note...........just what was DP's three days of "head clearing" all about? Do you suppose that those three days were spent disposing of Stacy's remains........in separate locations? I've been thinking about the possibility that since the remains only consist of torso, pelvis, and upper portions of the legs, that the remains could have been dismembered prior to disposal. Of course, I'm making a lot of assumptions here.......first assumption is that the remains are Stacy's and secondly that she was dismembered as opposed to animals or natural forces dismembering the body.

I have wondered all along if he dismembered her. Or had someone do it....

Like you I hope that they are searching the area closely for other bones, ect.

What always gets me is all the people who help someone move and dispose of an actual body as if they were being called over to move a couch. :eek:

Who would do that? Who? People that don't think like we do I guess.

I believe that DP worked undercover narcotics for awhile. Maybe he "looked the other way" a couple of times and "people" owe him favors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth