MD - Susan Lee Burke - Teacher Accused of Choking First Graders

LCoastMom

JUSTICE FOR CAYLEE MARIE - STILL WAITING
Reaction score
Susan Lee Burke, a 35-year-old Maryland elementary school teacher, has been charged with kicking, punching, scratching and choking students in her first grade class, according to Montgomery County Police.

Burke, of Laurel, Md., a teacher at Greencastle Elementary School in Silver Spring, is accused of assaulting nine children between the ages of 6 and 7 in her first grade class, police said.

SusanLeeBurkecbs_244x183.jpg

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20031158-504083.html

Since the incident involved a 6-year-old, among other little children, then it is considered ‘assault,’ and no one knows why a 6-year-old would be choked, this is merely despicable,” according to the sister of one of the alleged victims.

The suspected assault was reported by a boy back in January, according to authorities, who questioned the entire first grade class and found out that eight other students told that they were also assaulted by the teacher, and those eight other students declared that they had been choked and kicked, punched, scratched, or had their arms forcefully squeezed, according to police.

As soon as the allegations were known, the teacher was removed from the classroom right away. She was put on administrative leave

http://www.examiner.com/violent-crime-in-national/elementary-school-teacher-now-charged-with-assaulting-several-first-graders

is that her mugshot or her driver's license picture?

I'd be interested to see if ther've ever been other allegations against her

scary picture huh? it doesn't say it is a mug shot..

:eek:
I'd have a hard time restraining myself if I was one of those parents.

How long has she been a teacher and is this a pattern of behavior that extends back from the beginning? Why on earth would someone who has that in them even want a career surrounded by children each day??

how out of control do you have to be to do this to someone elses kids in a school filled with potential witnesses? Does this woman have any children of her own? Have they been interviewed?

is that her mugshot or her driver's license picture?

I'd be interested to see if ther've ever been other allegations against her

This looks like it's the mugshot.

Other allegations you ask? Last year misuse of credit cards and fraud. Not exactly up there kicking kids, but still.

This article says a mom thought her son was confused when he told her Mrs. Burke here strangled him. "She was always so friendly" mom said.

Burke is going through a divorce and her and her husband are listed as their home is in foreclosure.

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/ne...cher-accused-of-choking-never-aggressive.html

Make note when our kids say the teacher strangled them we may want to check it out.

O/T, but way back in olden days when we told we got strangled by the Nun we'd get asked what we did wrong. If we actually did something wrong we may have got a slap from our parents for making Sister strangle us. Seriously. None the worse for wear though.

Day-um.

Why would this women even be a teacher? Why?

no chit! and are we the first to be pondering this? and that had better be her dl and not a booking photo, lol, shes just a little to happy in that pic for my comfort...

Other allegations you ask? Last year misuse of credit cards and fraud. Not exactly up there kicking kids, but still.

This article says a mom thought her son was confused when he told her Mrs. Burke here strangled him. "She was always so friendly" mom said.

Burke is going through a divorce and her and her husband are listed as their home is in foreclosure.

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/ne...cher-accused-of-choking-never-aggressive.html

Make note when our kids say the teacher strangled them we may want to check it out.

O/T, but way back in olden days when we told we got strangled by the Nun we'd get asked what we did wrong. If we actually did something wrong we may have got a slap from our parents for making Sister strangle us. Seriously. None the worse for wear though.

ok, yep i agree that this is the booking photo, however she still has that odd defiant look about her. and go ahead and throw rotten vegetables if you want but heres what has crossed my mind: you know of all the goofy women teachers over the past couple o' years that have been getting involved with/having sex with (otherwise known as dating when its between two consenting people of proper age?) and then all of the psych info gets tossed around about all of the possible HOW, WHY could would she do this to her students and one theory is that she is emotionally messed up and seems to think that she is the same age as the student??? mary k latournreo (sp?) maybe its like that but shes a BULLY instead? she wants to beat the crap out of them rather than have an inappropriate relationship??? they are both bad and seem to be rooted in some psycholgical problem of the teacher...

unfortunately most teachers are underpaid so im not so ready to factor in her money problems and home lone default as a reason that she is attacking and bullying kids... and actually i dont really care - she needs to be locked up and never allowed around kids again. and its not even like she had some kind of ongoing dispute with a particular child, kwim? its like she wanted to intimidate, bully & manhandle as many of them as she could?? YIKES!

It looks like drivers license photo to me. JMO

BBM - not always the case. I remember my 1st grade teacher using masking tape on a child's feet (to the floor), hands (to the desk) and an X across the mouth (not that it obstructed breathing). One of the few memories I have from 1st grade. (If I remember, certainly the child it was done to remembers!)

In second grade, my DD was punished (losing recess and any rewards) everyday for not doing her math assignment in the allotted time. When she was sick and had to catch up at home, it took me 15 minutes to discover she had no clue how to do the work (turned out to be a LD). Three months she spent, day in and day out with this &^%# who had a problem with her personality (she had one little girl every year who she had a problem with, I found out later).

A couple years later, an old friend of mine was describing the very ugly behavior her very shy and quiet 7 yr old was receiving from a nun (physical and verbal). I had to ask, "You're paying someone to do this to your kid"? After much thought they took her out of private school and she blossomed.

I think a few teachers have gotten away with abusive behavior (not usually physical) for too long and we need to be advocates for all children when this happens.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back