Deputies: Grandmother killed by dog while babysitting

Reader

Reaction score
HODGES, S.C. —A 65-year-old Upstate woman was killed when she was attacked by a dog as she babysat her grandchildren.

The coroner said an autopsy showed that Betty Todd died of neck and spinal injuries.............

Officers said when they tried to go inside the home, they found an aggressive pit bull with blood on its mouth, chest and paws at the door.............

The victim’s brother-in-law, David Todd, said, "This dog has never shown any aggression before. It slept in the bed with them. They've had the dog four years, and it never ever showed anything like this."............

Hall said the dog was very submissive Wednesday, but because of what happened, it was put down.”

Greenwood County Capt. Ray Watson said he does not expect charges to be filed in this case............

Read more: http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-new.../18065754/-/vnjyf3/-/index.html#ixzz2Hd7bFJj6

OMG what an awful way to die, my sympathy to the family.

HODGES, S.C. —A 65-year-old Upstate woman was killed when she was attacked by a dog as she babysat her grandchildren.

The coroner said an autopsy showed that Betty Todd died of neck and spinal injuries.............

Officers said when they tried to go inside the home, they found an aggressive pit bull with blood on its mouth, chest and paws at the door.............

The victim’s brother-in-law, David Todd, said, "This dog has never shown any aggression before. It slept in the bed with them. They've had the dog four years, and it never ever showed anything like this."............

Hall said the dog was very submissive Wednesday, but because of what happened, it was put down.”

Greenwood County Capt. Ray Watson said he does not expect charges to be filed in this case............

Read more: http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-new.../18065754/-/vnjyf3/-/index.html#ixzz2Hd7bFJj6

I know this is going to sound horrible, but I find it curious that he never showed aggression before now. My dobermans only showed aggression when protecting us. Wondering if grandmom was hitting the children? Every dog I've ever owned would attack someone that got aggressive with me or my son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this is going to sound horrible, but I find it curious that he never showed aggression before now. My dobermans only showed aggression when protecting us. Wondering if grandmom was hitting the children? Every dog I've ever owned would attack someone that got aggressive with me or my son.

Unless the dog had a brain tumor (very unlikely) then yes, I think something happened to provoke this. Pits are known as the "nanny dog" and I have heard some become extremely protective of the children, especially female pits, sometimes the kids parents end up having a problem because the dog doesn't want anyone to so much as yell at the kids.

Unless the dog had a brain tumor (very unlikely) then yes, I think something happened to provoke this. Pits are known as the "nanny dog" and I have heard some become extremely protective of the children, especially female pits, sometimes the kids parents end up having a problem because the dog doesn't want anyone to so much as yell at the kids.
Last year something similar happened where I live. IIRC, an older man and his grown son owned the dog for years. I think the older man was said to be gardening when the dog attacked. Upon returning home, the son found his father dead from bites.

The son can't imagine why the dog would have attacked, and was even advocating that the dog live out it's life with a rescue group. I think the dog was eventually put down.

It is possible that a family dog will try to protect family members. In the case that happened here, I'm wondering if either the older man tried to reprimand the dog, or the dog mistook a gesture the wrong way. Such a mystery.

Whatever happened, once an animal kills a human, it's just too unsafe to keep any longer.

Here's info on that story, along with some similar attacks by family pets.

http://blog.dogsbite.org/2012/05/pit-bull-suspected-in-mauling-death-of.html

Clearly the dog saw Grandma as a danger...how terrible for the family. :(

Whatever happened, once an animal kills a human, it's just too unsafe to keep any longer.

Well I would say that depends on who the human is. Some protective breeds will severely maul or kill trespassers/attackers.

My alpha male (Anatolian) would inflict severe damage on anyone that threatened his person, his house, his pack, etc... Two thousand years of selective breeding enforces that instinct. If he actually did kill a human intruder in our defense he would be getting lots of praise and raw chicken as a reward.

Good Lord, Sonya, where the hell do you live?! Kabul? Inside the Green Zone in Baghdad? The tribal areas of Pakistan?

Between the guns and the attack dogs, wouldn't it be cheaper to move to a safer neighborhood?

Good Lord, Sonya, where the hell do you live?! Kabul? Inside the Green Zone in Baghdad? The tribal areas of Pakistan?

Between the guns and the attack dogs, wouldn't it be cheaper to move to a safer neighborhood?

Safer neighborhood? I don't live in a neighborhood anymore, I live in in a rural area with a very low crime rate these days. It has a low crime rate cause the people here are often heavily armed and a bit paranoid about criminals.

I like dogs and love protective breeds, he is a companion dog that is also obsessed with safety and security.

Safer neighborhood? I don't live in a neighborhood anymore, I live in in a rural area with a very low crime rate these days. It has a low crime rate cause the people here are often heavily armed and a bit paranoid about criminals.

I like dogs and love protective breeds, he is a companion dog that is also obsessed with safety and security.

I also love protective breeds, the bigger the better:) IMO

Sometimes dogs just "snap" for no apparent reason. Not that long ago, I read about a dog killing a young child. Prior to this, parents had no concerns and dog played with a child. Then, one day dog attacked and killed this child for no apparent reason. The attack happened very fast and the child ended up dead.
Sounds like this pitbull did the same thing.

So sad :( Unless grandma was never around and the dog might not of known her to well.... My pit never was aggressive and died at 9... My doberman mix, gessh do not tick her off..... Very protective. I do wonder what happen in the home. She might of reached for the child, not in an aggressive way but one that the dog might of thought it as one.

Sometimes dogs just "snap" for no apparent reason. Not that long ago, I read about a dog killing a young child. Prior to this, parents had no concerns and dog played with a child. Then, one day dog attacked and killed this child for no apparent reason. The attack happened very fast and the child ended up dead.
Sounds like this pitbull did the same thing.

Yes.
Happens quite often.

That's why I'm kind of shocked by some of the posts "assuming" this grandmother was harming the children or doing something wrong.

I also love protective breeds, the bigger the better:) IMO

Dobermans were my breed for many years, showed them, did rescue, etc... Guess I am getting old, I wanted a calmer dog with less prey drive, switched to an Anatolian. Totally different canine mindset, had to research as this dog was so very different, but awesome once this dumb human got edumacated about how their mind works.

If you ever want calm and protective look into live stock guardians. : )

Yes.
Happens quite often.

That's why I'm kind of shocked by some of the posts "assuming" this grandmother was harming the children or doing something wrong.

Really? How many dogs have you had in your lifetime? I have probably had about 60 in my life (many were older rescues being fostered).

I have NEVER seen a dog "just snap" and go insane. You say it happens "quit often"? Please do share, I am sure we could all learn something.

I have seen lots of canine aggression for various reasons, and in every case I could easily spot the trigger for that aggression. Now the folks that were clueless may think "the dog just unexpectedly snapped" even though the dog was giving off CLEAR signs.

Really? How many dogs have you had in your lifetime? I have probably had about 60 in my life (many were rescues being fostered).

I have NEVER seen a dog "just snap" and go insane. You say it happens "quit often"? Please do share all of these frequent "dog just snaps and goes insane" incidents, I am sure we could all learn something.

I have seen plenty of canine aggression for various reasons, and in every case I could easily spot the trigger for that aggression. Now the folks that were clueless may think "the dog just unexpectedly snapped" even though the dog was giving off CLEAR signs.

Google it.
It happens all the time. Especially with pits and chows. The info is out there.

Look at how many kids have been killed by their "sweet" pits who never showed any aggression.

And, might I add, I have not disrespected you and will not be talked down to.

Unless you have some sort of vet or animal behavior degree, I'd say we are both about equally qualified to give opinions here.

I wonder if the baby cried and the dog went into protection mode.

Dobermans were my breed for many years, showed them, did rescue, etc... Guess I am getting old, I wanted a calmer dog with less prey drive, switched to an Anatolian. Totally different canine mindset, had to research as this dog was so very different, but awesome once this dumb human got edumacated about how their mind works.

If you ever want calm and protective look into live stock guardians. : )

I couldn't deal with the defects in the breed anymore. Cardio-myopathy, wobblers...... Dobes will always hold a very special place in my heart. I only owned dobermans for years!

I've switched to greyhounds for the longer lifespan and robust health! I've owned my greyhound for 6 short months... And he's become protective of me and my son. It's not supposed to be in their nature.

Really? How many dogs have you had in your lifetime? I have probably had about 60 in my life (many were older rescues being fostered).

I have NEVER seen a dog "just snap" and go insane. You say it happens "quit often"? Please do share, I am sure we could all learn something.

I have seen lots of canine aggression for various reasons, and in every case I could easily spot the trigger for that aggression. Now the folks that were clueless may think "the dog just unexpectedly snapped" even though the dog was giving off CLEAR signs.

Totally agree!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth