FL - 17-yo Boy Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I could find the media outlet that postd all of the phone calls made during this incident unedited. During one of the calls, not sure if it was the first one, Zimmerman gave his phone number (it was not edited out) and addresses. The dispatcher wanted Zimmerman to meet law enforcement by some mailboxes. At first Zimmerman said okay, but then changed his mind and said just have the officer call me when he arrives and I will meet him, to me meaning that he wasn't going to wait by the mailboxes as requested and was going to follow Treyvon.

As far as I know, the only carry permit you can get in Florida is a concealed carry permit. Some states, Virginia, for example, you do not need a permit to open (in plain view) carry, but you do need a permit to carry concealed.

Also, as far as I know carry/ concealed carry permits are only valid in the state they are issued. Maybe someone more famiolar with gun laws will know if states have carry/concealed carry reciprocity laws.

Also, anyone know what the process in Florida is to get a permit such as Zimmerman has (assuming he still has it)? Does one need a valid reason to carry?

He isn't a convicted felon so based on gun laws he'd be able to carry gun in any state where one can carry a gun (I think).

"Trayvon said, 'What, are you following me for,' and the man said, 'What are you doing here.' Next thing I hear is somebody pushing, and somebody pushed Trayvon because the head set just fell. I called him again and he didn't answer the phone."

Sorry to quote my own post, but why didn't GZ respond with "I'm the neighborhood watch, what are you doing here?" Along with having a vehicle that didn't have anything on the side to indicate that, Trayvon did not know what was going on. HE HAD NO IDEA and apparently didn't get a chance to try to find out.

I believe it was the person Martin was on the phone with that stated Martin went under a porch, pulled up his hoodie, and returned to the street. I will search for the link.

Watching Brian Williams right now on NBC it sounded like he said the conversation between Martin and his gf was recorded. Any one else hear that?

If true, that will help figure out exactly what happened.

Isn't it coming from Zimmerman, that Trayvon was standing on someone's porch? I don't believe a word from that man's mouth.

I've been jumping from thread to thread today, but I always end up here.

I've just watched Vinnie Politan on HLN go through the case, and even with former Florida Judge, Judge Alex, the situation with the Stand Your Ground Law is still very confusing to me. It sounds like a license to murder to me.

I hope that the recent disclosure of the girlfriend's being on the phone with Trayvon helps clear up the timeline and what actually happened.

I do have one question. When we hear that the case has been turned over to the State's Attorney's office, does this mean that the it will not be the local prosecutors who will present the case to the Grand Jury in April?

Earlier on, possibly on the previous thread, a number of people didn't understand why the case wouldn't go to the Grand Jury until April 10. IMHO, I'm pleased that it will not be rushed. I want the FDLE and FBI to have time to enhance all the audio in this case so every word possible is transcribed. I want to be sure the racial epithet is clear as a bell. I want the Grand Jury to have so much information that they can't help but indict GZ.

As far as I know, the only carry permit you can get in Florida is a concealed carry permit. Some states, Virginia, for example, you do not need a permit to open (in plain view) carry, but you do need a permit to carry concealed.

Also, as far as I know carry/ concealed carry permits are only valid in the state they are issued. Maybe someone more famiolar with gun laws will know if states have carry/concealed carry reciprocity laws.

Also, anyone know what the process in Florida is to get a permit such as Zimmerman has (assuming he still has it)? Does one need a valid reason to carry?
BBM
Florida is a "shall issue" state. The only reason you need to get a concealed weapon permit is a desire to legally carry a gun for self defense.
(g) Desires a legal means to carry a concealed weapon or firearm for lawful self-defense;

The statue explains all of the restrictions and what is required to obtain a CCW permit.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ing=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.06.html

I believe it was the person Martin was on the phone with that stated Martin went under a porch, pulled up his hoodie, and returned to the street. I will search for the link.

Watching Brian Williams right now on NBC it sounded like he said the conversation between Martin and his gf was recorded. Any one else hear that?

If true, that will help figure out exactly what happened.

If the conversation was recorded that would in fact be great, but I think that what is recorded is the attorney's interview with the girl.

What I find a bit interesting is the way that it is transcribed as they play it near the end when she says that while he was trying to get away and thought he had, all of a sudden TM is cornered and confronted by GZ, who says What are you doing around here, and in some transcriptions they transcribe a line about "My Dad.....and then she hears what she thinks is someone shove Trayvon and the line goes dead and the phone shuts off, and according to the actual time of the phone call and the 911 calls it seems as if the shot is seconds after that. I would love to actually see the call logs for both 911 and TM's phone to see if that matches if so, it appears that GZ did NOT give anyone time to even answer him before he shot.

Further, someone on the panel mentioned that when his body was found the pack of skittles and the iced tea was in the pocket of his hoodie...if this is in fact so, then WHAT could GZ possible say that he say in TM's hands that would have put him in fear of his life?

Just questions and MHO

I've been jumping from thread to thread today, but I always end up here.

I've just watched Vinnie Politan on HLN go through the case, and even with former Florida Judge, Judge Alex, the situation with the Stand Your Ground Law is still very confusing to me. It sounds like a license to murder to me.

I hope that the recent disclosure of the girlfriend's being on the phone with Trayvon helps clear up the timeline and what actually happened.

I do have one question. When we hear that the case has been turned over to the State's Attorney's office, does this mean that the it will not be the local prosecutors who will present the case to the Grand Jury in April?

Earlier on, possibly on the previous thread, a number of people didn't understand why the case wouldn't go to the Grand Jury until April 10. IMHO, I'm pleased that it will not be rushed. I want the FDLE and FBI to have time to enhance all the audio in this case so every word possible is transcribed. I want to be sure the racial epithet is clear as a bell. I want the Grand Jury to have so much information that they can't help but indict GZ.

In Florida, the county prosecutors are referred to as State Attorneys, rather than District Attorneys as we see in many other states.

So each county has their own State Attorney that handles prosecutions.

IMO

First I want to reply to a post from the first thread. I'm too tired to go back and look for it, though. It had to do with wondering why Trayvon's father called the police to see if he'd been arrested, when he didn't come home.

Of course his father checked to see if he was arrested. I think it's difficult for a lot of white folks to understand the reality of young black males. It became clear to me, while I was still a school girl, many years ago.

As a white girl from the 'right side of the tracks' growing up in the South, I never, ever worried that my actions might cause me to get into legal trouble. Never. And I was right. I was free to go about my day, doing pretty much what I damned well pleased, anywhere I wanted to do it.

In junior high school and high school, my best friend was a black kid that I was in school with. We hung out, went to movies, went to parties, etc. He was also from the right side of the tracks, but, that made no difference. He had to be cautious in everything he did. There was always the very real fear that he would get arrested for minor kid stuff, or assaulted for simply being with me.

He finally brought me to understand why his mother was so upset about our friendship. At first, I thought she was racist. In fact, she was terrified that her very nice, respectful, straight laced, straight A student, son would be arrested or harmed by hanging out with 'that white girl' in the 'white places.'

This is the reality. Yes, thank goodness, it is changing, but, it is not changed. I think it was a very natural and sensible call for his father to make.

ETA: Secondly, I want to reply to the comments about Trayvon ducking onto someone's porch to get out of the rain. This is a neighborhood of condos, right? In my experience, condos don't tend to have a lot of distance between the sidewalk and the porch/door. My mom lives in a condo and I can move from the sidewalk to the shelter of her front porch in a couple sideways steps. It's not like Trayvon had to travel down a driveway to get onto a porch. Step to the side, slip on the hood, decide to make his way home. IMO. (if we are not talking about condos, let me know. It's been hard to keep up :p )

It won't be a jury. Because of "stand your ground" law this will go to a judge.

The DOJ and FBI have stepped in to investigate the shooting as a possible hate crime. If they come up with proof, it will automatically move to federal court.

How many white boys have walked down the street without GZ confronting them and how often did GZ bring his gun while confronting them.

The feds will look into every corner of GZ's life.

Whoa, Zimmerman's neighbor on JVM isn't doing GZ any favors!

First he says don't make this about race but then keeps saying that the majority of the 8 breakins in 15 months were done by black kids.

JMHO

WFTV uncovered it? :floorlaugh:

P.S. I am not laughing about the slur. I'm laughing because WFTV is late. We knew last night.

In my opinion, it is good to havee WFTV there, even if they are late. They will follow the story and keep it up front until it is resolved (or at least I hope they do).

Salem

Good explanation here:

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/self_defense.html

Whoa, Zimmerman's neighbor on JVM isn't doing GZ any favors!

First he says don't make this about race but then keeps saying that the majority of the 8 breakins in 15 months were done by black kids.

JMHO

Hmmm... I just went back and listened to that portion. The neighbor states that all Trayvon had to say was that he was there visiting his mother.

Based on what little I've heard about the GF's report... Trayvon did mention HIS DAD! I'm betting Travon said he was visiting his dad. Didn't help him any, now did it?

Hmmm... I just went back and listened to that portion. The neighbor states that all Trayvon had to say was that he was there visiting his mother.

Based on what little I've heard about the GF's report... Trayvon did mention HIS DAD! I'm betting Travon said he was visiting his dad. Didn't help him any, now did it?

I am truly trying to parse out some kind of a timeline which adds in the times of the Girlfriend on the phone, and the times of the 911 calls, and the time that the 911 caller heard the shot, and honestly I must be doing something wrong because there is no time for an answer or a scuffle before the shot....

Anyone who has done this and can help me out here? maybe I copied some times down wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member