CONVICTION OVERTURNED MO - Kent Heitholt, 48, found murdered, Columbia, 1 Nov 2001

I watched tonight's episode of Dateline, but was distracted for the last few minutes. Would someone tell me what me what happened? Was he granted an appeal?

I watched tonight's episode of Dateline, but was distracted for the last few minutes. Would someone tell me what me what happened? Was he granted an appeal?
From what I can see, there is a status review/trial setting on August 9, 2011, which is next week (please correct me if I am wrong). Zellner has listed some information on her web site; she has asked for help from the public by listing the email address of the attorney general.

I hope common sense finally rules in this case. Ryan did not seem cold to me...he looked like an inoccent man who was shocked that anyone can be convicted of a terrible crime if the police do a decent job in making the witness statements fit the facts (like making a square peg fit into a round hole!). We should all be scared if that is the case.

Yes, I caught the show last night and they said they wouldn't know for another month. However I don't know whether that was a month from filming or airing of the show. I really felt this was another case of feeding the confessor what he needed to know to make it fit and ignoring any evidence of innocence.

Ryan appeared to be genuinely kind and honest person even after all the years he has spent incarcerated. I hope they rule in his favor this time. His father (both parents actually) is just an amazing man.

I first got interested in this case after viewing it on 48 hours mystery, then was very happy when Dateline aired a lengthy episode regarding the case yesterday.

First off, I have to say that I believe that Ryan is 100% innocent.

Also, I hope that Chuck/Charlie gets serious help, because he seems to be very disturbed.

To Ryan's family I just want to say that I am very impressed by you, but even more so by the way their son is composing himself. I am praying for a good outcome for you all and that Ryan will be able to soon start his future.

An October evidentiary hearing is set for Ryan Ferguson in which key witness recantations and expert testimony will be considered in his bid to vacate a 2005 conviction for the murder of Tribune Sports Editor Kent Heitholt.

After nearly two years of legal maneuvering, a judge will hear co-defendant Charles Erickson’s recantation of trial testimony that helped convict Ferguson in the November 2001 murder. Heitholt was found beaten and strangled on the Tribune’s parking lot.

Cole County Circuit Judge Daniel Green today set the evidentiary hearing to begin Oct. 25 at the approval of opposing attorneys. The hearing is in response to a habeas petition Ferguson filed in February that requested the hearing in light of recantations by key witness Jerry Trump and Erickson. Assistant Attorney General Stephen Hawke said previously he believes the recantations are not credible but that he welcomes an evidentiary hearing to settle the matter.

The hearing is expected to last as long as five days. The defense asked for three days to present evidence; the state asked for two days. The proceedings will start on a Tuesday, which means they could stretch into Saturday that week if needed.
http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2011/aug/09/court-will-hear-new-ferguson-evidence/

I first got interested in this case after viewing it on 48 hours mystery, then was very happy when Dateline aired a lengthy episode regarding the case yesterday.

Also, I hope that Chuck/Charlie gets serious help, because he seems to be very disturbed.

To Ryan's family I just want to say that I am very impressed by you, but even more so by the way their son is composing himself. I am praying for a good outcome for you all and that Ryan will be able to soon start his future.

I believe that once Zellner finishes representing Ryan that she is going to help Erickson. He does need help. Even Ryan's father does not believe Chuck committed the murder

ETA I see that O'Connor has stepped up to represent Erickson.

An October evidentiary hearing is set for Ryan Ferguson in which key witness recantations and expert testimony will be considered in his bid to vacate a 2005 conviction for the murder of Tribune Sports Editor Kent Heitholt.

After nearly two years of legal maneuvering, a judge will hear co-defendant Charles Erickson’s recantation of trial testimony that helped convict Ferguson in the November 2001 murder. Heitholt was found beaten and strangled on the Tribune’s parking lot.

Cole County Circuit Judge Daniel Green today set the evidentiary hearing to begin Oct. 25 at the approval of opposing attorneys. The hearing is in response to a habeas petition Ferguson filed in February that requested the hearing in light of recantations by key witness Jerry Trump and Erickson. Assistant Attorney General Stephen Hawke said previously he believes the recantations are not credible but that he welcomes an evidentiary hearing to settle the matter.

The hearing is expected to last as long as five days. The defense asked for three days to present evidence; the state asked for two days. The proceedings will start on a Tuesday, which means they could stretch into Saturday that week if needed.
http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2011/aug/09/court-will-hear-new-ferguson-evidence/

This is good news !!! I suspect the now Judge Crane to have some rocky times ahead of him.

I as well know that some new people have come forward which should again help.

It is not often I say this about someone but I as well believe him to be innocent of this crime. As for Chuck, I simply don't know what to think except to say this is one young man from his various evaluations that truly does need the right help and like you hopes he gets it

This is good news !!! I suspect the now Judge Crane to have some rocky times ahead of him.

I as well know that some new people have come forward which should again help.

I hope it's good news but the missouri justice system seems to be more concerned with protecting the good ole boys of boone county than doing justice. I think Michael Boyd needs to be investigated. I know what I did with ever car i have had since the mid 1980's and i find it very interesting the Mr. Boyd is not sure about what he did with a car that is still registered to him. If he traded it in then he has documents for the car/van he got in the trade...if he doesn't the dealer does. There is so much about Mr. Boyd, like remembering that there were two white boys near the dumpster after the police told him that two boys were spotted on scene...but if there were two drunken small teens hiding in the parking lot looking for a quick robbery why didn't they attack Mr. Boyd since they had no way of knowing another man would come out of that building at 2 am? These two small framed boys did not attack Mr. Heitholt..there is no way they did...he would have hurt at least one of them badly. Mr. Boyd was over 230 lbs...and he possibly could have...It's too bad the police dropped the ball and did not at least follow up on Mr. Boyd.

I hope it's good news but the missouri justice system seems to be more concerned with protecting the good ole boys of boone county than doing justice. I think Michael Boyd needs to be investigated. I know what I did with ever car i have had since the mid 1980's and i find it very interesting the Mr. Boyd is not sure about what he did with a car that is still registered to him. If he traded it in then he has documents for the car/van he got in the trade...if he doesn't the dealer does. There is so much about Mr. Boyd, like remembering that there were two white boys near the dumpster after the police told him that two boys were spotted on scene...but if there were two drunken small teens hiding in the parking lot looking for a quick robbery why didn't they attack Mr. Boyd since they had no way of knowing another man would come out of that building at 2 am? These two small framed boys did not attack Mr. Heitholt..there is no way they did...he would have hurt at least one of them badly. Mr. Boyd was over 230 lbs...and he possibly could have...It's too bad the police dropped the ball and did not at least follow up on Mr. Boyd.

Whether Boyd did it or not I have no idea but they did drop the ball. The car does not just "disappear". Even now when questioned whether it is the red or blue one he drove that night he is uncertain.

Whether Boyd did it or not I have no idea but they did drop the ball. The car does not just "disappear". Even now when questioned whether it is the red or blue one he drove that night he is uncertain.

I know there is a hearing scheduled around 10/25 o4 10/26 on the habeas corpus filing but some type of hearing this week..i think a motion to quash subpoena was filed..not sure who is trying to stop their subpoena but i know that slimy Crane who is not a judge was subpoenaed for the October evidentiary hearing. The state of MO, which rivals LA for corruption is fighting this case tooth and nail despite the obvious injustice.

I know there is a hearing scheduled around 10/25 o4 10/26 on the habeas corpus filing but some type of hearing this week..i think a motion to quash subpoena was filed..not sure who is trying to stop their subpoena but i know that slimy Crane who is not a judge was subpoenaed for the October evidentiary hearing. The state of MO, which rivals LA for corruption is fighting this case tooth and nail despite the obvious injustice.

Yup Crane is slimey :) so it looks like quite some time before this hearing takes place. I wonder as well if she is trying to gather more evidence. I find it odd that it was scheduled so many months later

I did come across this

" Ferguson’s attorney, Kathleen Zellner of Chicago, filed a motion last week to delay the five-day hearing set to begin Oct. 25 in Cole County Circuit Court because of scheduling conflicts. The hearing is rescheduled for April 16."

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2011/sep/27/ryan-ferguson-hearing-moved-to-april/

Yup Crane is slimey :) so it looks like quite some time before this hearing takes place. I wonder as well if she is trying to gather more evidence. I find it odd that it was scheduled so many months later

I did come across this

" Ferguson’s attorney, Kathleen Zellner of Chicago, filed a motion last week to delay the five-day hearing set to begin Oct. 25 in Cole County Circuit Court because of scheduling conflicts. The hearing is rescheduled for April 16."

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2011/sep/27/ryan-ferguson-hearing-moved-to-april/

its really sad that what seems so obvious to so many makes no impression on the people who have the power to fix this. missouri must have so much to hide.

its really sad that what seems so obvious to so many makes no impression on the people who have the power to fix this. missouri must have so much to hide.

I have to agree. I simply don't get it. There are serious issues within too many judicial systems

Ok i guess this thread is in limbo..but i thought i would post a question if anyone has any ideas..
There are several things that bother me about this case but one in particular is the two college age males who were at the scene right before the police were called.
The cleaning people saw them standing near the rear of the car looking towards the body of the brutally beaten victim. They saw the cleaning people near the door of the building and said (paraphrasing) this man has been hurt call for help.....

The witnesses said the young men then turned and walked up the alley towards a nearby college...making people believe perhaps they went to that college.

Ok lets assume as i believe they were not chuck and ryan....who were they? if they were two locals or local college students they would have heard about the murder probably the next day..so why would they not come forward? Most college students if not most people would have told their dorm mates, friends, family..."wow i saw a man really beat up in that parking lot over there." and then when the murder was reported in the media someone would have called police..either one of them or one of the people they told...but so far nothing.
There are several possibilities i suppose..these two kids did not live or school in columbia but were passing thru..or they really wanted to stay out of it and never said a word to anyone (unlikely) or they saw the man lying on the ground and they robbed him and of course would never tell anyone...or they commited the beating so they would most likely never tell anyone....
Even though the cleaning people did not describe these kids as being similar to chuck and ryan, except one who only did that two years later with coaching if not coercion from the prosecutor and later recanted...i think this is the strangest fact - two young males on the scene minutes if not seconds after the beating..and they disappear into the night. Thoughts?

Ok i guess this thread is in limbo..but i thought i would post a question if anyone has any ideas..
There are several things that bother me about this case but one in particular is the two college age males who were at the scene right before the police were called.
The cleaning people saw them standing near the rear of the car looking towards the body of the brutally beaten victim. They saw the cleaning people near the door of the building and said (paraphrasing) this man has been hurt call for help.....

The witnesses said the young men then turned and walked up the alley towards a nearby college...making people believe perhaps they went to that college.

Ok lets assume as i believe they were not chuck and ryan....who were they? if they were two locals or local college students they would have heard about the murder probably the next day..so why would they not come forward? Most college students if not most people would have told their dorm mates, friends, family..."wow i saw a man really beat up in that parking lot over there." and then when the murder was reported in the media someone would have called police..either one of them or one of the people they told...but so far nothing.
There are several possibilities i suppose..these two kids did not live or school in columbia but were passing thru..or they really wanted to stay out of it and never said a word to anyone (unlikely) or they saw the man lying on the ground and they robbed him and of course would never tell anyone...or they commited the beating so they would most likely never tell anyone....
Even though the cleaning people did not describe these kids as being similar to chuck and ryan, except one who only did that two years later with coaching if not coercion from the prosecutor and later recanted...i think this is the strangest fact - two young males on the scene minutes if not seconds after the beating..and they disappear into the night. Thoughts?

You bring up an interesting question. The dog tracked to the university IIRC (need to double check this)

The description given by the cleaning lady and whom stated to Crane that it was not Ryan she saw was never called by Crane during the trial so who were they?

Did these 2 unknowns commit the crime? You would think they would of come forward. For all we know maybe they did but it was not disclosed. Nothing would surprise me at this point with respect to this investigation.

Trump stated from the start that he never saw them well enough to describe them but by the time the trial came around he fingered Ryan and has now revoked that stating that Crane pressured him. As well he was in jail at the time.

We are not talking that there was alot of time for this to have happened. The timeline is very tight yet these 2 individuals were seen as well as he talked to Boyd. I have followed this case for years as was disappointed that there was yet another delay.

ETA What scent was the dog tracking.....

You bring up an interesting question. The dog tracked to the university IIRC (need to double check this)

The description given by the cleaning lady and whom stated to Crane that it was not Ryan she saw was never called by Crane during the trial so who were they?

Did these 2 unknowns commit the crime? You would think they would of come forward. For all we know maybe they did but it was not disclosed. Nothing would surprise me at this point with respect to this investigation.

Trump stated from the start that he never saw them well enough to describe them but by the time the trial came around he fingered Ryan and has now revoked that stating that Crane pressured him. As well he was in jail at the time.

We are not talking that there was alot of time for this to have happened. The timeline is very tight yet these 2 individuals were seen as well as he talked to Boyd. I have followed this case for years as was disappointed that there was yet another delay.

ETA What scent was the dog tracking.....

Given that the victim was a locally well known person, the media attention to the crime had to be huge. I would think the police would have had a tip line. Wonder if the identity of the two students are buried in some neglected tip file, or thrown out. But remember the crime went unsolved for two years i think..with little to go on...but when they finally heard from chuck his dream of him and ryan attacking mr. heitholt fell right in line with the two young college males leaving the scene..i think this fact alone put the police on the wrong track. Also perhaps anniversary coverage that must have been happening each year probably repeated the same info..and chuck might have come across it..seeing the report of two young males at the scene might have created his own dellusion...
I am concerned that unless these two males can be identified, a judge or future jury will not get past it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back