2011.05.16 Sidebar Thread (Juror Selection Day Seven)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So do I. Just five more months until my brother's murderer goes on trial. The closer it gets, the sicker I get. :(

I knew nothing about this! I am so sorry. :(
We are here for you!!! :seeya:

Is it pretty much a sure thing that the DT will use all of their strikes? I read something here about an issue with appealing a juror if they didn't use all their strikes. Do they have eight strikes left?

OK - I am still stuck on the bad juror that was picked last week, after JB and team claimed racial bias by the state.

From listening to HHJP, it seems that they will be able to use backstriking for any potential juror? Is that right? I am just worried.

I'm worried about that one too. ..............(edited out, incorrect info)........ I think I remember reading it on the Lawyer thread...

Richard Hornsby's response to that question on the lawyer thread:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6490104&postcount=164"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Legal Questions for our VERIFIED Lawyers #3[/ame]

It appears AZLawyer & RH have differing opinions on this one. AZ's response to that same question:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6490283&postcount=169"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Legal Questions for our VERIFIED Lawyers #3[/ame]

OK - I am still stuck on the bad juror that was picked last week, after JB and team claimed racial bias by the state.

From listening to HHJP, it seems that they will be able to use backstriking for any potential juror? Is that right? I am just worried.

Yes they can use backstrikes but must be done before tomorrow morning because JP is swearing in the jurors selected thus far. Bet this will be a working lunch for the DT!!!! Oh, to be a fly on the wall....:crazy:

Given they could have used their strikes in this last level of questioning, do we think there's really going to be a frenzy of strikes? I'm not feeling like there will be, but what do I know? LOL

So I take it that it was a good morning...and we're only one juror away from completion?

Is it pretty much a sure thing that the DT will use all of their strikes? I read something here about an issue with appealing a juror if they didn't use all their strikes. Do they have eight strikes left?

I believe they will use each and every one

1) to delay
2) because they can
3) to preserve the "record" for appeal

And I'm sure they'll wait until the last possible minute to do so - staying in form.

I hope I'm wrong.

Updated BeanE Bucket o' Tweets PDF file through the current lunch break @ 12:10pm EST.

http://tweetbook.in/store/BeanEWebs...rite-Book34b9c04b6fd91720bb57b1845606d9db.pdf

– Files are in PDF format.
– After you open the file, you can use the button in the lower right hand corner to enlarge or shrink the text size for easier reading.
– You can search these files using your browser’s Find function (usually Ctrl F).
– You can click any URL in the file to go to that web page to see the news article or pic being tweeted about.
– If you like, you can follow the tweets, live as I collect them, here: http://twitter.com/#!/BeanEWebsleuths/favorites

YES from the transcription I have read online from HHJP video "speech" about "Perry Plan"...

Credit goes to Ellejay at HM (from Saturday)....

..my magic number, so you will not be surprised, and i’m giving you fair warning, as to how the process will proceed.
..whenever we get to the magic number of about 15, then, as i sort of warned you yesterday behind closed doors, back in the back, i will announce at that time that it is my intention to bring them in and swear them.

..the law says that you are permitted to’ back strack’ up until the time that they are sworn. so it will be a race between you exercising peremptory challenges and me swearing them.

..so once you exercise, and you know, you have a right to do this, you can do it piece-meal and we’ll slide the next one in and i may or may not bring another alternate in. I don’t know.

..and we’ll slide the person who’s in the 13th seat into the 14th seat. so, you can exercise them piece-meal, and hopefully you’ll get them exercised before the clerk gets an opportunity to swear them.

..or you can take into consideration, you know who you want to get rid of, and go ahead and utilize your peremptory challenge, i can’t make you do that, but you have a right to do it. the only thing the law provides is that you can do it up until the time that they are sworn.

..so, you have the luxury of doing it piece-meal which will require some foot exercise on the part of jurors being marched down the hallway and being brought in here, and going back and forth. But that choice is left up to you, i can’t force you to exercise all of your peremptory challenges.

..the only thing the law provides, and it is quite clear, is that you have a right to do that right until the time that they are sworn.

..so i just wanted to give you forewarning. I might increase that number up to 18, but in all actuality, for my satisfaction, 15 is "the number”.

..where once i hit that magic number, that’s where i’m going to start swearing them in. The clerk will have the oath and she’ll be ready to go. And the court deputies will be ready to bring them in and seat them.

..the only question is whether i’ll seat them in the jury box-----or the first 2 rows of seats in the gallery.
..okay—let’s go to lunch, but, i didn’t want you to be surprised. Okay, we’ll be in recess....

Tru TV has the loudest commercials ever! It's driving me crazy. AF will be on with her low soothing voice and then all of sudden the Repo Man commercial comes on blasting loud. Very annoying. :maddening:

There has been complaints by viewers about LOUD commercials...it's not only TruTV...it seems to be on all the TV channels.

LOL - I'm following BeanE's twitter and she posted this from Jim Lichtenstein...

JimLichtenstein Jim Lichtenstein
Guy with big head keeps blocking my view. Grrr. #caseyanthony

Just struck me as funny

He posted Saturday that juror # such and such looked like the woman who, when you were a kid, you wouldn't want to be caught walking on her lawn.

He had several descriptions of the various jurors on his twitter but I thought that was funny. Book on the way dude looked like Cosby's eldest son.

I'm worried also, but at the very least we would get a mistrial.

She may not get enough votes for the DP with the current picks (jmo and intuition),but I think the state has a strong case for guilt.

I wish they could backtrack.The DT used small children to strike the nurse (kids are probably in daycare or have a REAL nanny) but let the next juror slide because he's a man.That's prejudicial.If they had been in REVERSE ORDER JB would not have been able to use that on the woman without a challenge from the state.

There has been complaints by viewers about LOUD commercials...it's not only TruTV...it seems to be on all the TV channels.
...and I don't know where I read or heard it, but there's some kind of legal thing happening to prevent that.

I chose this buffet because of its extensive sneeze guards.

buffet_lightbox.jpg

http://static.boydgaming.net/fremont/images/lightbox/buffet_lightbox.jpg

LUV you Ms YNot!! You are always thinking!

He posted Saturday that juror # such and such looked like the woman who, when you were a kid, you wouldn't want to be caught walking on her lawn.

He had several descriptions of the various jurors on his twitter but I thought that was funny. Book on the way dude looked like Cosby's eldest son.

I wonder if that was the woman with older children (52,etc) .

We are still at a disadvantage ,not being able to see these jurors and their facial expressions/body language.

I'd like some brie with my whine ,please:innocent:

14 retained so far.

Males= #1340, #1232, #1129, #1019, #1407, #1119, #1025

Females= #1398, #1312, #1055, #1319, #1251, #1429, #1007

It's only 6:30ish AM for me and I just now signed on, could someone post a link so I can watch when the court is back in session? Thank you very much!

I'm worried also, but at the very least we would get a mistrial.

She may not get enough votes for the DP with the current picks (jmo and intuition),but I think the state has a strong case for guilt.

I wish they could backtrack.The DT used small children to strike the nurse (kids are probably in daycare or have a REAL nanny) but let the next juror slide because he's a man.That's prejudicial.If they had been in REVERSE ORDER JB would not have been able to use that on the woman without a challenge from the state.

Does Judge Perry have the final say on the DP vs Life w/o parole, regardless of the jury's vote?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong