Found Deceased SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do wonder if the POIs discuss the case case amongst themselves on Facebook or Myspace. Could they be under the impression they are doing this in private? At least before they were named POIs? I wonder if they post status updates about having been interviewed for the case. If these people are the terrible people that they must be to commit a crime like this, then they might also brag about it. I could imagine a status update such as:

"Just got interviewed for that missing girl case" -- etc, etc.

And I wonder if any of this chatter could be searched and found by us to give us any clues.

I admit I have been searching for things like this since the news broke.

LLLIndsayy, I've also begun to wonder, with such a tight lid on POI's indentities, could they ALL be juveniles? That would really surprise me but that's the first and foremost reason I can think of that no 'local rumors' have even cropped up at this point. People just talk, let's face it, and usually one person will come up somehow. Could media get in trouble for publishing juvenile names even if they know them?

I flirted with that idea as well. But at the end of the day when I think about it, I think they are protecting them in fear of extreme vigilant attacks. I don't think they want to create more work for themselves.

One would have to believe there is some sort of circumstance behind them as to why they are not coming out & naming them. They sure didn't hesitate to name Peter...

When this case heats up I think it's going catch fire.

As I was reading the article in one of the recent links posted by RoseC, something else caught my eye so I did a little digging. I saw an article about a student walking away from "The Georgetown Marine Institute" but had been found...I just wondered if that was something like a military academy and if the students were confined there or if they ever got passes to leave, etc. As I googled that school, I then read another article here:
http://www.gtowntimes.com/story/Stu...-campus-may-face-consequences-at-their-school

There is mention of a student who had plead guilty of sexual assault on a female student, but since it occurred off campus, the student was allowed to remain on the basketball team. This article also states that five students from this same high school have been arrested for burglary but have not been convicted.

I am not suggesting for one minute any of these students had anything to do with BD's disappearance, but it does make me think the possibility that these PsOI may be juveniles is not far fetched at all. Also, it reminded me of the police at one point a few months back said they had gone to a school and questioned a student there but that student was not considered to be a POI. I don't even know if the school mentioned in this article in particular is actually in Georgetown, but the fact of all the trouble these juveniles are getting into (although it happens everywhere....not just these schools) makes it just as likely the perps could be juveniles as adult males.

Just wanted to take a minute to say I admire all of you that are down there in MB this weekend, attending the vigil for BD and her family and friends. I pray that the family gets some comfort in knowing how much you all care and chose to be there with them at this time. Wish we could all be down there. Love you all. Everyone on this thread feels like family and are all such caring people. Praying for some closure as well.

Playing cards shed light on Drexel case
Posted: Apr 23, 2010 8:02 PM EDT Updated: Apr 23, 2010 8:24 PM EDT
By Laura Thomas

12366694_BG1.jpg

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – Brittanee Drexel went missing almost one year ago, and searchers hope billboards, fliers, and now playing cards will help get the word out about the case.

The South Carolina CrimeStoppers Council put together a list of 52 cases, highlighting Drexel and others, including Crystal Soles, who went missing from Andrews in 2005. Each playing card has a picture and description of either a missing person or an unsolved case.

Gail Soles, Crystal's mother, says she is glad to have her daughter featured.

"I just hope [with] all this publicity, people see and know that she's still missing," said Soles. "She's still out there somewhere and I'm never going to give up. I've still got my hope."

More at link...
http://www.wmbfnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=12366694
________________________________________________________________________________________

Police announce missing women, Brittanee Drexel and Crystal Soles, featured on deck of cards (with video)
Tonya Root
Friday, Apr. 23, 2010

The stories and photos of Brittanee Drexel and Crystal Soles are among 50 other cases featured in a campaign to increase awareness about missing people and unsolved homicides in the state.

The missing women are featured in a deck of cards that are sold to prison inmates throughout the state through a program by crime stoppers. Drexel also was featured in a deck of cards released in Florida.

Brittanee Drexel was last seen on video surveillance leaving the Blue Water Hotel on Ocean Boulevard while on spring break in the area on April 25, 2009. Dozens of searchers have scoured Myrtle Beach and wooded areas in Georgetown and Charleston counties looking for clues in the teen's disappearance.

Searches began about nine months ago after officials learned Drexel's cell phone gave off its last known signal on April 26 around U.S. 17 Bypass and the South Santee River in the Georgetown County.

More at link...
http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/04/23/1437822/police-announce-missing-women.html
________________________________________________________________________________________

Near one-year anniversary of missing Chili teen
Posted at: 04/23/2010 7:45 PM

Her parents are still hanging on to hope, but this Sunday marks one year since Brittanee Drexel was last seen.

The Chili teen went missing while on spring break in Myrtle Beach. Her parents are there getting an update on the investigation.

Police released a deck of cards today featuring Brittanee Drexel. The cards are sold at area jails and prisons.

Earlier this month South Carolina Police announced they are investigating Drexel's disappearance as a homicide. There are three to four persons of interest in the case.

Friday night we heard from Chad and dawn Drexel, talking about the jail cards and the investigation.

More at link...
http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S1528184.shtml?cat=566
Brittanee Drexel's Family in Myrtle Beach for Candlelight Vigil
04/23/10 6:30 pm | reporter: Natalie Caula

Myrtle Beach, SC - A family is still searching for answers in the case of a missing teen, one year later. Brittanee Drexel disappeared April 26th, 2009 from Myrtle Beach. In the weekend leading to the anniversary, her family is holding on to hope and now in the same city Brittanee was last seen.

“It’s eerie. Our daughter went missing from here. It’s really difficult to come here,” Brittanee's mom, Dawn Drexel said.

“Horrible; a lot of roller coaster. The emotions it’s hard,” Brittanee’s aunt, Kary Drexel said.
4 Interact:
Click Here to Comment on this Story

But it’s something the Drexel’s say they had to do, in hopes of getting answers when meeting with Myrtle Beach Police and Georgetown Sheriff’s investigators. The last news the Drexel’s heard, Brittanee’s case was being handled as a homicide.

More at link...
http://www.wciv.com/news/stories/0410/729038.html

As I was reading the article in one of the recent links posted by RoseC, something else caught my eye so I did a little digging. I saw an article about a student walking away from "The Georgetown Marine Institute" but had been found...I just wondered if that was something like a military academy and if the students were confined there or if they ever got passes to leave, etc. As I googled that school, I then read another article here:
http://www.gtowntimes.com/story/Stu...-campus-may-face-consequences-at-their-school

There is mention of a student who had plead guilty of sexual assault on a female student, but since it occurred off campus, the student was allowed to remain on the basketball team. This article also states that five students from this same high school have been arrested for burglary but have not been convicted.

I am not suggesting for one minute any of these students had anything to do with BD's disappearance, but it does make me think the possibility that these PsOI may be juveniles is not far fetched at all. Also, it reminded me of the police at one point a few months back said they had gone to a school and questioned a student there but that student was not considered to be a POI. I don't even know if the school mentioned in this article in particular is actually in Georgetown, but the fact of all the trouble these juveniles are getting into (although it happens everywhere....not just these schools) makes it just as likely the perps could be juveniles as adult males.

Strawberry field,,
This Georgetown Marine Institue,not really a school,its like junvnile home for boys only, age..12-15 no younger no older (males only)
services in lieu of commitment or revocation for juveniles on probation or parole.
Other words if they young boys get into big trouble with law (like muder,etc) the right lawyer can get the boy into this place,if im not mistaken theres about 32 there now,,no they cant leave its mini like jail without bars or wire around the land,they get did with rules like reg jail like (visiting hours,calls,etc whatever time these boys would got sentence in court they have spend that time at this place,,,,,its in Maryville on hwy 17 out Georgetown on seem route as North santee,,,))) they cant leave the grounds,,they have teachers there at this place,if not mistaken its been in Georgetown now since about 1991,,

LLLIndsayy, I've also begun to wonder, with such a tight lid on POI's indentities, could they ALL be juveniles? That would really surprise me but that's the first and foremost reason I can think of that no 'local rumors' have even cropped up at this point. People just talk, let's face it, and usually one person will come up somehow. Could media get in trouble for publishing juvenile names even if they know them?

The way I've usually (always?) seen it handled, is that juvenile policy is specified as reason suspect, age x<18, has been arrested, etc.

In this case, no arrest, an unofficial "person of interest" statement, I'm reasonably sure that police haven't told anyone who the POI's are to withhold.

rd

The way I've usually (always?) seen it handled, is that juvenile policy is specified as reason suspect, age x<18, has been arrested, etc.

In this case, no arrest, an unofficial "person of interest" statement, I'm reasonably sure that police haven't told anyone who the POI's are to withhold.

rd

I wonder why they are being so hush hush about it. I know they don't want to hurt the case but why release that they have poi's in the first place.

BBM

Well, I know you aren't suggesting anything, but it doesn't hurt to look. I think you've stumbled upon some good, fresh ideas!! I think it would be silly NOT to at least look at these people...and boy did it turn up some odd coincidences!!

Your first guy...wow. Ok, his dad's a pastor at a local church. Turns out, two months before BD goes missing, he loses his best friend in a boating accident. Friend drowns with 2 others. One month later, J Williams sexually assualts this girl after school hours. She waits 10 days to report it officially, and the school lets him come back to school. His parents had already taken him out of the school and placed him at alternative school, but he was back at GHS by August, just a few months after ADMITTING that he attacked this girl. This story is FAR more detailed and I can't imagine what this girl must feel like: http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/02/21/1327727/haven-elusive-after-assault.html
And here's the info about the boat accident: http://www2.scnow.com/scp/news/loca...en_about_sandy_island_boating_accident/34821/

My main problem with him is that he doesn't appear to have connections to Andrews, to anything further south than GHS, and that he is African American....I really think she went with a white guy that she'd met at a party...IMHO. But it is interesting timing that late Feb is boat accident, Late March is sex assualt, Late April BD is missing.

Moving on: I didn't have a whole lot of time to research the other case, but I think it's also interesting!! The oldest member of these burglers is 20 year old (now 21) Vernon Swain. I can't find any social networking sites for him, yet. The others are all in their late teens and one is still a juvie. After looking at their mug shots, and this is PURELY rude on my part, I think Vernon and Travis are the only possible people in THIS group that could lure BD into a vehicle. I just don't think the other two would peak her interests, IMHO. Everyone looks better in real life than in mug shots I'm sure, but you get my point.
Anyway, Travis begain dating a girl back in March 2009. She became pregnant late March 2009....and baby was born Dec 2009. He seems to have a troubled past, but really seems happy with his 'wife' and child. Vernon, on the other hand, appears to be single. Travis' brother left a scathing message on Travis' 'wife's' MS site....saying that, basically, all of the others tried to pin their actions on him and that he didn't do what they accused him of doing. I think everyone basically ratted everyone else out. Travis says in January that he's recently 'found the lord' and is trying to get his life straight. I'm sure he just forgot the 'new leaf' when he was stealing people's property, but whatever.
Vernon went to GHS and happens to live in Andrews, SC....you know, where BD's phone was headed at one point. I haven't been able to check to see if he has any adult record other than the burglary. Here's the articles on these guys:
http://www2.scnow.com/scp/news/loca...rrest_5_people_for_burglary_and_theft/111522/
http://www.gtowntimes.com/Local/Five-charged-after-4-wheelers-recovered-from-Black-River

My problem with him is that stealing ATV's and murder are two different things!! Obviously, I'd like to know what else he and the others have done, if anything. However, this is basically a group of 4 that LE has been interrogating and that have been ratting on each other. It's also interesting that they are all being held on 20,000 cash bond...somewhat high I would think for stealing an ATV.

**side note: Apparently in SC teens convicted of Sexual Assualt...even if tried and convicted as an adult....do NOT have their pics posted in the State Registry. You can call the County PD and, based on the reason for your request, they may or may not release a photo and assualt record for the teen. That's PURE CRAZINESS, IMHO. So, J Williamson not only gets to return to GHS, he also gets to keep his name and photo out of the registry..which means that none of his neighbors--and their daughters--ever get to know they live next to someone with a criminal record of sexual abuse.

I wonder why they are being so hush hush about it. I know they don't want to hurt the case but why release that they have poi's in the first place.

well candi their public appeal to families and friends of the POIs implies that the families know their sons, brothers, etc. have been questioned, are under suspicion, probably search warrants executed. So in the right circles these POI's are known.

My guess is that they are appealing for info that will let them find enough to convict, and info coming in concerning people who haven't been named publicly is manageable in determining credibility.

If they tossed out four names, they would be inundated night and day with claims about the individuals. In a way, that would be helpful (they were seen such and such place etc.) but in another way it'd probably jeapordize a onviction in my opinion.

It's unusual, that's for sure.

rd

BBM

Well, I know you aren't suggesting anything, but it doesn't hurt to look. I think you've stumbled upon some good, fresh ideas!! I think it would be silly NOT to at least look at these people...and boy did it turn up some odd coincidences!!

Your first guy...wow. Ok, his dad's a pastor at a local church. Turns out, two months before BD goes missing, he loses his best friend in a boating accident. Friend drowns with 2 others. One month later, J Williams sexually assualts this girl after school hours. She waits 10 days to report it officially, and the school lets him come back to school. His parents had already taken him out of the school and placed him at Georgetown Marine, but he was back at GHS by August, just a few months after ADMITTING that he attacked this girl. This story is FAR more detailed and I can't imagine what this girl must feel like: http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/02/21/1327727/haven-elusive-after-assault.html
And here's the info about the boat accident: http://www2.scnow.com/scp/news/loca...en_about_sandy_island_boating_accident/34821/

My main problem with him is that he doesn't appear to have connections to Andrews, to anything further south than GHS, and that he is African American....I really think she went with a white guy that she'd met at a party...IMHO. But it is interesting timing that late Feb is boat accident, Late March is sex assualt, Late April BD is missing.

Moving on: I didn't have a whole lot of time to research the other case, but I think it's also interesting!! The oldest member of these burglers is 20 year old (now 21) Vernon Swain. I can't find any social networking sites for him, yet. The others are all in their late teens and one is still a juvie. After looking at their mug shots, and this is PURELY rude on my part, I think Vernon and Travis are the only possible people in THIS group that could lure BD into a vehicle. I just don't think the other two would peak her interests, IMHO. Everyone looks better in real life than in mug shots I'm sure, but you get my point.
Anyway, Travis begain dating a girl back in March 2009. She became pregnant late March 2009....and baby was born Dec 2009. He seems to have a troubled past, but really seems happy with his 'wife' and child. Vernon, on the other hand, appears to be single. Travis' brother left a scathing message on Travis' 'wife's' MS site....saying that, basically, all of the others tried to pin their actions on him and that he didn't do what they accused him of doing. I think everyone basically ratted everyone else out. Travis says in January that he's recently 'found the lord' and is trying to get his life straight. I'm sure he just forgot the 'new leaf' when he was stealing people's property, but whatever.
Vernon went to GHS and happens to live in Andrews, SC....you know, where BD's phone was headed at one point. I haven't been able to check to see if he has any adult record other than the burglary. Here's the articles on these guys:
http://www2.scnow.com/scp/news/loca...rrest_5_people_for_burglary_and_theft/111522/
http://www.gtowntimes.com/Local/Five-charged-after-4-wheelers-recovered-from-Black-River

My problem with him is that stealing ATV's and murder are two different things!! Obviously, I'd like to know what else he and the others have done, if anything. However, this is basically a group of 4 that LE has been interrogating and that have been ratting on each other. It's also interesting that they are all being held on 20,000 cash bond...somewhat high I would think for stealing an ATV.

**side note: Apparently in SC teens convicted of Sexual Assualt...even if tried and convicted as an adult....do NOT have their pics posted in the State Registry. You can call the County PD and, based on the reason for your request, they may or may not release a photo and assualt record for the teen. That's PURE CRAZINESS, IMHO. So, J Williamson not only gets to return to GHS, he also gets to keep his name and photo out of the registry..which means that none of his neighbors--and their daughters--ever get to know they live next to someone with a criminal record of sexual abuse.

You've done a lot of work! Awesome!

I don't have time to look into all of this myself, but this sounds like something worth looking into. It's also interesting to note that at the time LE traveled to GTHS to interview a student, the first person you mentioned would have still been enrolled at that time.

Have to be gone most of today, but want to delve into all of this a little more later this evening or tomorrow a.m. Thanks for the extra work and postings of links, etc., Krista. Very interesting to say the least...Very interesting.

Just wanted to clarify:

I am not in any way saying that THESE people are responsible for BD's disappearance. I DO think that people LIKE these kids are responsible.....and that these kids--especially the 5 boys from GHS--likely hang out with other troublemakers.
I think LE has likely reviewed the juvie records and school records to see which kids have had past problems. I'm betting that the GHS tip that LE checked out in January was to a kid with previous problems and a possible record.
Does anyone know about bail amounts...what would seem high or low in the burglary case? I honestly have no idea, but I thought that amount was high for high school kids without any prior problems....if, indeed, they have no priors!??!??

Just wanted to clarify:

I am not in any way saying that THESE people are responsible for BD's disappearance. I DO think that people LIKE these kids are responsible.....and that these kids--especially the 5 boys from GHS--likely hang out with other troublemakers.
I think LE has likely reviewed the juvie records and school records to see which kids have had past problems. I'm betting that the GHS tip that LE checked out in January was to a kid with previous problems and a possible record.
Does anyone know about bail amounts...what would seem high or low in the burglary case? I honestly have no idea, but I thought that amount was high for high school kids without any prior problems....if, indeed, they have no priors!??!??

If I have my stories correct, I believe the GHS student that was interviewed claimed he had friends that were with B that night.

Was this the case or am I totally off here?

If I have my stories correct, I believe the GHS student that was interviewed claimed he had friends that were with B that night.

Was this the case or am I totally off here?

It was what I had in the back of my mind. Thinking about LE saying they had gone to see a high school student because I believe he claimed he knew someone who had been with BD. I had not heard about these students being arrested or especially about the one boy (son of the preacher) being convicted of the sexual assault, on his friend no less. I must say I read all of the links provided by Krista and I was in total shock about the rapes/sexual assaults, etc. being reported in the high school in that area. I was almost in tears in reading about what that one female student had to go through by the authorities allowing the boy who actually pleaded guilty to sexual assault being allowed right back in school AND being allowed back on the teams. After seeing all of this now it just makes me think pretty much it was just like LE is saying....the POI are living right there in the local area. These kids all are growing up right in the thick of where the searches have taken place.

I wish we could find an article or link about the one student being interviewed at the school and exactly when that interview occurred.

I do also wonder about the amount of bail that was set for these boys on the burglary charges. Did I read it to mean they are all still in jail?

Just wanted to clarify:

I am right with you on this Krista. Nope...don't believe any of these particular students mentioned directly in any of these articles are the actual PsOI, but it is a real eye opener for the "younger perp theory". The way that poor victim testified about the boy coming to her house, etc., made me think of what poor BD may have had to endure.

It was what I had in the back of my mind. Thinking about LE saying they had gone to see a high school student because I believe he claimed he knew someone who had been with BD. I had not heard about these students being arrested or especially about the one boy (son of the preacher) being convicted of the sexual assault, on his friend no less. I must say I read all of the links provided by Krista and I was in total shock about the rapes/sexual assaults, etc. being reported in the high school in that area. I was almost in tears in reading about what that one female student had to go through by the authorities allowing the boy who actually pleaded guilty to sexual assault being allowed right back in school AND being allowed back on the teams. After seeing all of this now it just makes me think pretty much it was just like LE is saying....the POI are living right there in the local area. These kids all are growing up right in the thick of where the searches have taken place.

I wish we could find an article or link about the one student being interviewed at the school and exactly when that interview occurred.

I do also wonder about the amount of bail that was set for these boys on the burglary charges. Did I read it to mean they are all still in jail?

BBM.

It took place in early May. Perhaps May 6? I can look for an article for you.

March and vigil planned to mark one year anniversary of Brittanee Drexel&#8217;s Disappearance
Published: April 24, 2010
Updated: April 24, 2010

Tonight a march and vigil will be held to mark the one year anniversary of the disappearance of Brittanee Drexel.

The Drexel family arrived in the Grand Strand earlier this week.

More at link...
http://www2.counton2.com/cbd/news/l...r_anniversary_of_britanee_drexels_dis/132615/

Praying the street is blocked from all of the people marching for Brittanee tonight!! Praying the crowd is so large, so great, that Brittanee is ALL OVER the news Sunday morning!! Such a sad day, but such a welcome change for this case...to have people interested and enthusiastic about finally bringing Brittanee home!! Prayers for our sleuthers and Brittanee's families in MB this weekend!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine