John Morgan to depose Casey

Status
Not open for further replies.
question:

is or isn't JB working pro-bono? if so how can he go after atty fees?

It's never been confirmed that he is working pro-bono. According to GA, KC is paying him LOL..who knows, but I personally think he is getting money from someone, somewhere. JMO.

No, and although I know of ways around all of this, I'm NOT going to post anything helpful to the defense, if they're reading here. I figure they read the same books we read, eh? :D

"Absolutely" agree with you on not helping JB side. :blowkiss:
(Carry on "Dream Team.")

She can take the 5th, but unlike in a criminal case there will be consequences for taking the 5th.

For example one time I was handling a case for a business whose 3 accounting employees conspired to embezzle millions of dollars. While the crim case was ongoing, we filed a civil lawsuit and took their depositions. They took the 5th, we won the case because they didn't deny anything....

What you're referencing, I believe, is termed the "adverse interest" principle: if a party takes the 5th and refuses to answer, opposing party may seek to have the judge instruct the jury that they may make adverse inferences from the silent party's refusal to respond to probative evidence offered against them/their position.

:crazy:I don't think she gives a RA about lying in a deposition do you? She could just say "kidnappers gave her a script and ZG was in it"...

so was "sold her to Puerto Rico", "different ZG", and maybe even peeing German Shepards...

Of course, the reference to "Dream Team" is just a joke and a spoof on the media's use of that term in other high profile cases.:biglaugh:

I appreciate all posters' inputs and lively, positively phrased discussion. :yes:

What you're referencing, I believe, is termed the "adverse interest" principle: if a party takes the 5th and refuses to answer, opposing party may seek to have the judge instruct the that they may make adverse inferences from the silent party's refusal to respond to probative evidence offered against them/their position.
That's one of the sanctions I'd forgotten to mention. Nice catch, Chezhire.

:crazy:I don't think she gives a RA about lying in a deposition do you? She could just say "kidnappers gave her a script and ZG was in it"...

so was "sold her to Puerto Rico", "different ZG", and maybe even peeing German Shepards...

you're right - she doesn't, but her attorneys sure should :eek: :eek: :eek:

Can she take the 5th now that she has counter-sued?
I think I heard John Morgan say she couldn't because of the counter suit?
She will try, but one of the possible sanctions is for JM to haul her before a judge. The judge can order her to answer or can impose sanctions. One of these could include dismissing her claim. Another could be that since she didn't answer we can assume her answer would have hurt her -- the adverse interest. These answers are way to complicated to give when you have a microphone stuck in your face, so the lawyers try to give a short answer for the public and avoid the legalese. That's one of the reasons lawyers do so poorly in the media. What lawyers deal with in the law and legal issues is way too complicated to be reduced to a soundbyte.

She will try, but one of the possible sanctions is for JM to haul her before a judge. The judge can order her to answer or can impose sanctions. One of these could include dismissing her claim. Another could be that since she didn't answer we can assume her answer would have hurt her -- the adverse interest. These answers are way to complicated to give when you have a microphone stuck in your face, so the lawyers try to give a short answer for the public and avoid the legalese. That's one of the reasons lawyers do so poorly in the media. What lawyers deal with in the law and legal issues is way too complicated to be reduced to a soundbyte.

ITA - and if Morgan's been practicing as long as he has, he'll do what I already suggested early on in this thread: file appropriate motion requesting to depose Casey in the courthouse & DEPOSE HER IN THE COURTROOM WITH THE JUDGE PRESENT OR IN HIS CHAMBERS AND AVAILABLE SHOULD ANY ISSUES ARISE. Little more work in advance to have an arrestee brought up to the courthouse, but well worth it, in my experience.

You've never seen a party sing so loud with the judge there or in the next room ready to sit on the bench if the need arises! ;)

I am so sick of Casey and all of her antics. The time and money and resources that have been wasted on her are shameful. I hope and pray with all of my heart and soul that truth can be found one way or the other. Even speaking with Casey is a waste of time and effort. She will lie. KC cares for no one but herself. She doesn't care how many lives she has destroyed. She cares for nothing other than herself, which is a good thing because if all goes well and justice is served, she will end up having no one but herself. We talk about CA and how nutty she is, and I agree this woman shoud just shut up, but can you imagine being faced with what this little Beotch has put on her parents. Not to mention the entire rest of the world that know in their heart of hearts that this beautiful child is dead, but somewhere in the deep recesses of my heart, I pray that she is alive and well somewhere. I guess that is that river in Eqypt thing. I cannot even wrap my head around how very diabolical KC is.
God have mercy on her soul.

ITA - and if Morgan's been practicing as long as he has, he'll do what I already suggested early on in this thread: file appropriate motion requesting to depose Casey in the courthouse & DEPOSE HER IN THE COURTROOM WITH THE JUDGE PRESENT OR IN HIS CHAMBERS AND AVAILABLE SHOULD ANY ISSUES ARISE. Little more work in advance to have an arrestee brought up to the courthouse, but well worth it, in my experience.

You've never seen a party sing so loud with the judge there or in the next room ready to sit on the bench if the need arises! ;)

Good idea--otherwise, I'm sure JB would be constantly instructing her not to answer, whether or not warranted by her 5th Amend rights. Especially if (as suggested by his counterclaim/answer/whatever) he actually has no idea what the implications of his actions in the civil case are for her criminal case.

I like this lawyer, he knows his stuff. I think Zenida is going to kick butt. Good for her, maybe she can get the Anthony's house.:)

In the video, its pretty clear John Morgan has a case. Personal Injury lawsuits are one of the largest payouts of all. Taking the 5th, does not obsolve Casey of guilt.

I think Mr. Morgan will win it.

He can depose her on the counterclaim and if she pleads the fifth, the counterclaim case will immediately be thrown out I assume. It makes Baez look foolish for filing it.

Not to mention, it throws out the theory there was a Zenida at all. This is where the case started when all blame was shifted to the invisible Zenida.
If she denounces this one, then which Zenida did it?

Good idea--otherwise, I'm sure JB would be constantly instructing her not to answer, whether or not warranted by her 5th Amend rights. Especially if (as suggested by his counterclaim/answer/whatever) he actually has no idea what the implications of his actions in the civil case are for her criminal case.

:saythat: You bet - it's always worked QUITE WELL for myself and my clients ;)

Okay. I hit the books. Here we go.

Florida Rules of Civil Procedure:
RULE 1.310. DEPOSITIONS UPON ORAL EXAMINATION

(c) Examination and Cross-Examination; Record of Examination; Oath; Objections. [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Examination and cross-examination of witnesses may proceed as permitted at the trial. The officer before whom the deposition is to be taken shall put the witness on oath and shall personally, or by someone acting under the officer’s direction and in the officer’s presence, record the testimony of the witness, except that when a deposition is being taken by telephone, the witness shall be sworn by a person present with the witness who is qualified to administer an oath in that location. The testimony shall be taken stenographically or recorded by any other means ordered in accordance with subdivision (b)(4) of this rule. If requested by one of the parties, the testimony shall be transcribed at the initial cost of the requesting party and prompt notice of the request shall be given to all other parties. All objections made at time of the examination to the qualifications of the officer taking the deposition, the manner of taking it, the [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]evidence presented, or the conduct of any party, and any other objection to the proceedings shall be noted by the officer upon the deposition. Any objection during a deposition shall be stated concisely and in a nonargumentative and nonsuggestive manner. A party may instruct a deponent not to answer only when necessary to preserve a privilege, to enforce a limitation on evidence directed by the court, or to present a motion under subdivision (d). Otherwise, evidence objected to shall be taken subject to the objections. Instead of participating in the oral examination, parties may serve written questions in a sealed envelope on the party taking the deposition and that party shall transmit them to the officer, who shall propound them to the witness and record the answers verbatim. [/FONT]
[/FONT](d) Motion to Terminate or Limit Examination. [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]At any time during the taking of the deposition, on motion of a party or of the deponent and upon a showing that the examination is being conducted in bad faith or in such manner as unreasonably to annoy, embarrass, or oppress the deponent or party, or that objection and instruction to a deponent not to answer are being made in violation of rule 1.310(c), the court in which the action is pending or the circuit court where the deposition is being taken may order the officer conducting the examination to cease forthwith from taking the deposition or may limit the scope and manner of the taking of the deposition under rule 1.280(c). If the order terminates the examination, it shall be resumed thereafter only upon the order of the court in which the action is pending. Upon demand of any party or the deponent, the taking of the deposition shall be suspended for the time necessary to make a motion for an order. The provisions of rule 1.380(a) apply to the award of expenses incurred in relation to the motion. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][Emphasis added.] [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]There you go, people. See the bolded part above.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Mr. Morgan asks a question: On what day did you kill Caylee?[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Mr. Baez: I object! [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Mr. Morgan: What is the nature of your objection?[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Mr. Baez: On the grounds of Ms. Anthony's 5th Amendment privilege to refuse to disclose any matter that may tend to incriminate her. [/FONT][/FONT]
Mr. Morgan: Your objection is preserved; (to the witness, Ms. Anthony) go ahead and answer the question.
Mr. Baez: (To witness, Ms. Anthony) I am advising you not to answer that question.
Both attorneys check Florida Rules of Civil Procedure, Rule 1.310(c), and the Florida Evidence statutes and note that it is a privilege. Therefore, the objection and the instruction not to answer the question stands.

Run that above scenario again and change the question from, "On what day did you kill Caylee" to "Did you go to Sawgrass apartments on June 16, 2008?" Ah, now it may or may not be privileged. Was she there to find an identity of somebody to blame and be the kidnapper?
What if the question is, "Did you graduate from high school?" Clearly, this will not tend to incriminate her so she would have to answer. No 5th Amendment here.

So, it goes, question by question. On the ones where it is unclear, she will have to explain to the judge when Mr. Morgan brings his motion under section d that Mr. Baez's objection and instruction to the witness violated section c.

Mr. Kasen, an attorney for Ms. Anthony, indicates that he will only allow Ms. Anthony to say her name and claim the objection.

It goes question by question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member