***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
You, being a verified local - I value and find your posts most interesting/informative - thanks!

I find it interesting to compare the way LE acted in Sierra Lamar's case to this one...
LE has not been out in front of Mickey's case (but a local may have a different sense of this).

Even while LE in Sierra's case their suspect under surveillance, they when ahead with pressers, and appeared on America's Most Wanted, without letting on..

To me, this is a case of Mickey being in the wrong place at the wrong time; the more irregular/infrequent her trips at night, the more random her attack.*

RE: Sierra Lamar abduction/rape/murder

"This statement by Sheriff Smith was the most telling imo"...

* Smith added that since January 2011, 43 female children have been reported missing in Santa Clara County and have not returned home,

highlighting the importance of placing suspects like Garcia-Torres in custody.

“We put a lot of resources into (Sierra’s case) but it was worth it,” Smith said.

Santa Clara County Sheriff Laurie Smith said Antolin Garcia-Torres's DNA was found inside a bag belonging to Sierra LaMar. Sierra's DNA was also found on unspecified property belonging to Garcia-Torres, according to sheriff's officials.

* Sheriff: Sierra LaMar's Murder was 'Purely Random'
* Smith said it appeared to be a random act of violence.

* "We believe this is the worst kind of crime, a stranger abducting a young girl,"

Sierra Lamar timeline articles- http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/ar/t69991.htm

Automatic time-out for mentioning NC...just a forewarning :) It's on the first page of this thread I do believe!

Thanks Stac-
I haven't been on in a couple of days and missed that --- I need to catch up with new mod rules since last thread.:gthanks:
I have changed my post to ask a more relevant question.

Yeah, I'll be honest and say it seems like a double standard when you compare the reactions to the Shunicks not speaking out, compared to the Celis family. With the Shunicks, people will defend them not talking to the media (it has to be weeks, right?) because they are too distraught. But with Rebecca and Sergio, I've seen so many posts that they say aren't talking because they don't want the media to start asking questions.

so are you saying that the Louisiana locals are more kind? :confused:

This was from May 24, 2012

"Friends and searchers took to the route at dusk Thursday, following the path on which Shunick set out in the early hours of Saturday morning. FBI, U.S. Marshals and local police are involved in the search that they are treating as a missing-person case, but have not ruled out foul play."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/mickey-shu...-bike-route-missing-student/story?id=16418943

That was 5 days after the disappearance. I wonder if they are still taking that position.

IMO that's been their thought/hope from the start. They have made statements about an 'accident being an accident', and just 'take Mickey to a safe place and let her go'. I can only imagine that their hearts won't let them think that she is not still alive and with the abductor. Certainly LE hasn't given the public any idea as to what they are thinking now. Let's hope that the family does have more information about their theory.

FWIW
My mom's friend's sister is close to the family and is still bringing them meals. She said the family absolutely still thinks she's alive.

i heard that yes there was video beyond then no there wasn't then yes there was then no there wasn't. so i think the latest is that no, there isn't video of Mickey past the Circle K

I have never heard of the 2 bikers talking picture?? can anyone help out with this one?
Who knows? I was told by a well known "profiler" i've corresponded with for quite a while that there was "so said" some footage of her sitting on a curb along her "route" so who really knows?? Most of what we know/think we know is conjecture ... like it or not.

most of you seem to know trucks pretty well. Here is a version of the Silverado that sort of explains the projected dimensions of the rear wheel well. In this case it's because it's a dually,which I believe means two sets of two wheels on the rear axle. The rear wheel well therefore comes out twice as far. This truck also has a short bed and a crew cab. Can we rule out a vehicle like this? This one is used for pulling equipment on a flat bed trailer.

Attachments

• big black Silverado with Square wheel well.bmp
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • big black Silverado with Square wheel well2.bmp
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • big black Silverado with Square wheel well6.bmp
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • big black Silverado with Square wheel well3.bmp
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
That was 5 days after the disappearance. I wonder if they are still taking that position.

To be honest I am more curious as to why they were thinking it that early in the case.

The bike had not been located yet so it would not be from the forensics of the bike.

The only other conclusion I can come to would be video they have reviewed.

most of you seem to know trucks pretty well. Here is a version of the Silverado that sort of explains the projected dimensions of the rear wheel well. In this case it's because it's a dually,which I believe means two sets of two wheels on the rear axle. The rear wheel well therefore comes out twice as far. This truck also has a short bed and a crew cab. Can we rule out a vehicle like this? This one is used for pulling equipment on a flat bed trailer.

Waiting how I wish I could help you with the truck aspects.

Unfortunately, this blonde knows virtually nothing about them :giggle:

Regarding alcohol sales/consumption in Lafayette. The sale of alcohol is prohibited after 2am, except Sundays it is midnight. Consumption is 2:30 and 12:30 on Sunday might/Monday morning. Sales are also prohibited before 11am. I can't tell you how many times I have had to wander around Albertson's on game day waiting for 11am! It has always been this way, at least since I started drinking 17 years ago

Whoever is selling beer after 2am is doing so illegally. Lucky gal. Take advantage of that and I have noted te 2 locations mentioned earlier just in case I get a baby sitter one night and have a wild hair to pull an all nighter.

Here is a link to the city ordinance: http://library.municode.com/mobile/...showDocumentFrame.aspx?clientID=13173&docID=1

I don't even remember why we are talking about this...

Oh, I thought this was interesting. Of New year's Eve or 4th of July fall on a Sunday, the law changes to 2am. I am sure I knew that years ago...

To be honest I am more curious as to why they were thinking it that early in the case.

The bike had not been located yet so it would not be from the forensics of the bike.

The only other conclusion I can come to would be video they have reviewed.

Still guessing but again, I think they were just taking the position that seemed most likely (to them, anyway) that she might come home. I don't believe they have seen video of an accident-there would have been a crime scene, examiners, etc. for long enough to be picked up by media, or locals.

Regarding alcohol sales/consumption in Lafayette. The sale of alcohol is prohibited after 2am, except Sundays it is midnight. Consumption is 2:30 and 12:30 on Sunday might/Monday morning. Sales are also prohibited before 11am. I can't tell you how many times I have had to wander around Albertson's on game day waiting for 11am! It has always been this way, at least since I started drinking 17 years ago

Whoever is selling beer after 2am is doing so illegally. Lucky gal. Take advantage of that and I have noted te 2 locations mentioned earlier just in case I get a baby sitter one night and have a wild hair to pull an all nighter.

Here is a link to the city ordinance: http://library.municode.com/mobile/...showDocumentFrame.aspx?clientID=13173&docID=1

Oh, I thought this was interesting. Of New year's Eve or 4th of July fall on a Sunday, the law changes to 2am. I am sure I knew that years ago...

BBM

they were trying to explain why the guy at the gas station was running
one explanation was that it was close to alcohol "closing time"

Your comment is interesting. I've been around these parts for years and I remember MANY occasions our group was still "in the party mood" and were not able to find any business establishment that ever gave into our whims/needs lol. If we miscalculated our alcohol "needs"...basically, we were SOL!!! Maybe times have changed but I truly wonder how desperate any Lafayette business is for business that they would take the risk associated with selling "after hours" not to mention to minors??

That said ... I've seen NOTHING associated with MS's case that leads me to believe alcohol consumption played any role in her abduction. Perhaps her abductor(s) was hyped up on alcohol at the time but, my experience with alcohol is that it basically would put the "imbiber" at a disadvantage. Alcohol makes people stupid ... not smart enough to pull off a crime and leave NO clues behind.

Not jumping on you ... just jumping off your post.

I wasn't suggested alcohol played a key factor in anything...that was just brought up b/c someone said the "running guy" at Circle K may have been trying to get liquor before 2am. Like I said, I haven't ever been told I couldn't buy it...also they are supposed to be a piece of tape over your cup at the drive-thru daiquiri places so it isn't considered an "open container" however, many times there is no piece of tape.

That must have been changed fairly recently because the only laws I can find say that all grocery, convenience, and package stores can sell 24/7 and no local municipality has the power to restrict it.

I always thought LA's alcohol laws were ridiculous. I don't think you should be able to buy hard liquor at Wal-Mart.

Nope. It has been that way for my entire life. I always found the time restriction to be silly.

Walmart... "package store", what's the difference?

It's written on her FB page by the owner of the page..."Let's hope she gets set free on this independence day!". Is she being held in captivity? Sex slave human trafficking ring ordeal? That's how I take it...
Maybe not a popular opinion but ... I think it's absurd. WHEN was the last time we've heard of a person being held for ransom in the US??? It would take a major astute criminal to pull something of that nature off and frankly ... considering other options from a financial standpoint, holding a person for ransom in this day and age does not seem to be a "popular" nor "substantial wealth gaining" move. It's just basically unheard of.

Ok so I knew Albertson's had some sort of rules, before they had the separate little place for alcohol, it was all over in the corner and they would put a barrier of shopping carts in front so you couldn't get to it, at whatever time. But since they have the separate little thing now, they just lock the door. However, there is still lots of alcohol outside of that, in the store. Can you not just pick that up and buy it? Not that they stay open past 2am anymore anyway, but I guess on Sunday mornings.

eta: My fave time to go grocery shopping used to be during the middle of the night/early morning. Weren't many people in the stores, wasn't so freaking hot outside. I was majorly bummed when Albertson's and other stores started closing early. I think it was right after Katrina, when all the Walmarts here quit staying open 24 hours and I was super annoyed lol. I think they closed at 12 and even Albertson's was open later than them, maybe til 4? But either way, I'm starting to realize it's just not safe to go out of the house and that time anymore.

Morning from Australia was hoping to wake up to some good news about Mickey unfortunately none. But did wake up to university results and got high distinctions for all my subjects so 1 semester left and by the end of the year will be a registered nurse yay. Happy 4th of July to all my American friends xoxo

Nope. It has been that way for my entire life. I always found the time restriction to be silly.

Walmart... "package store", what's the difference?

Hmmm, maybe you have never seen that people of walmart site...trust me, hard liquor in aisle 12 would not be a pretty thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie