GUILTY KY - Virginia 'Jenny' Chumbley, 44, dies in 'mercy killing', Laurel Co., 28 Aug 2013

Softail

Reaction score
Kentucky man says he killed wife to end her cancer pain

LAUREL COUNTY, Ky. - Moments after his wife lay in her bed..with two gunshot wounds...Ernest Chris Chumbley picked up the phone and dialed 911.

“Hello….I just shot my wife,” Chris Chumbley is heard telling the dispatcher in the 911 tapes.

“What happened again?” the dispatcher asks.

“You need to come out here,” Chumbley responds.

“Tell me what happened, sir,” the dispatcher requests.

“Give me police. I’m under arrest,” Chumbley said.

From jail Chumbley says he shot his wife with a .32 handgun because she was terminally ill with breast cancer..and she asked him to “stop her pain.”

“I shot her,” he said from the Laurel County Detention Center. “She died from my shots, but it’s not murder.”

Chumbley said he simply complied with his wife’s request.

“She told me she wanted me to end her pain. All I said,’Jay, all I’ve got is what the doctor gave you. She said 'no, I want you to stop my pain for good,’” said Chumbley.

http://www.foxlexington.com/newsroo...n-says-he-killed-wife-end-her-pain-2619.shtml

:cry: I don't even know what to say about this.

Can you even imagine how hard that would be to do? (Assuming, of course, that he's not lying, and this is a way to conveniently get rid of someone you no longer want in your life.)

If the story is true, as hard as it is to comprehend, I see it as an incredible act of selflessness. He's going to have to live with the fact that he did this, but his love for her was more important to him than whatever consequences he will now face.

I guess there could have been other ways to go about it, but the end result is the same.

I am convinced that my MIL was "put to sleep" via a powerful drip of morphine because she, too, wanted to be released from her pain. Her wishes were carried out by a doctor, though, not a family member. (The doctor knew what the outcome would be.)

It is very, very difficult to see someone you love in so much pain and not be able to do anything about it.

(Assuming, of course, that he's not lying, and this is a way to conveniently get rid of someone you no longer want in your life.)

Sounds like she would have been out of his life soon enough, he will serve prison time over this so I wouldn't exactly call it "convenient".

One interesting result of the Oregon euthanasia law (in which doctors need to provide drugs to terminally ill patients that request them) is that the doctors overall became MUCH more concerned with pain management for their terminally ill patients.

They didn't want to be asked for euthanasia meds so they made an extra effort to do everything they could to alleviate pain.

Can you even imagine how hard that would be to do? (Assuming, of course, that he's not lying, and this is a way to conveniently get rid of someone you no longer want in your life.)

If the story is true, as hard as it is to comprehend, I see it as an incredible act of selflessness. He's going to have to live with the fact that he did this, but his love for her was more important to him than whatever consequences he will now face.

I guess there could have been other ways to go about it, but the end result is the same.

I am convinced that my MIL was "put to sleep" via a powerful drip of morphine because she, too, wanted to be released from her pain. Her wishes were carried out by a doctor, though, not a family member. (The doctor knew what the outcome would be.)

I can't imagine! I tend to believe him. He called 911 right away, was seemingly honest about what happened. Complete selflessness if it is indeed true!

It's such a sad story. Even the neighbor said he could hear her in pain. :cry:

Police are not buying the story, however, contending that there was a history of domestic issues between the couple. The couple's children also contend that Virginia was intent on beating the cancer.

Read more: http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/08/2...-shot-wife-end-cancer-suffering#ixzz2dOPG1l5I

WHOA, I don't think it was a mercy killing because your link states that he shot her in the face THREE times. He obliterated her identity! Jmo, that isn't an act of love. and the domestic violence history, nope, not buying his story.

Maybe she wasn't getting the pain meds as prescribed or very good care. No one should be left home to suffer in pain so bad that neighbors could hear.

WHOA, I don't think it was a mercy killing because your link states that he shot her in the face THREE times. He obliterated her identity! Jmo, that isn't an act of love. and the domestic violence history, nope, not buying his story.

Yeah I completely agree. That isn't euthanasia. Shooting someone in the face is hate.

Weird story, despite the domestic abuse they stayed together, apparently. Some weird love/hate close attachment thing otherwise he would have just walked out.

Sounds like she would have been out of his life soon enough, he will serve prison time over this so I wouldn't exactly call it "convenient".

One interesting result of the Oregon euthanasia law (in which doctors need to provide drugs to terminally ill patients that request them) is that the doctors overall became MUCH more concerned with pain management for their terminally ill patients.

They didn't want to be asked for euthanasia meds so they made an extra effort to do everything they could to alleviate pain.

That's a good point; I was just trying to cover all the bases, if that makes any sense. :)

From October 2015:

http://www.startribune.com/man-who-says-he-killed-wife-to-stop-suffering-given-15-years/331411791/

"At the same time we had witnesses who were going to say she had intentions of going the next day and starting a new treatment plan, looking at a new treatment plan with doctors," Steele said.

Jenny Chumbley was shot multiple times, and Chris Chumbley was also intoxicated that night, Steele said.

"Those things taken into consideration, and Mr. Chumbley's mindset at the time, is what led us to a plea of 15 years on manslaughter," Steele said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back