Deceased/Not Found MI - Bianca Jones, 2, Detroit, 2 Dec 2011 - #2 - *D. Lane guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the Detroit News articles mentioned that the Detroit River was also searched last Saturday. It had to have been a cursory search of the area adjacent to WCCC because there was no mention of dive teams. jmo

I'll look for the link, but there were pics of the Detroit boats out on the water. Not sure if they used dogs, divers, sonar or what. Give me a minute to find the link.

Investigators also dragged the Detroit River behind Wayne County Community College District near downtown. Lane said he was there with his daughter Friday morning trying to get financial aid to attend the school.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20111207...or-Bianca’s-disappearance#ixzz1fr8PD1SP

and

They've searched the river front and continue to search the streets near where he claims she was taken.
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/new...n-of-detroit-toddler-bianca-jones-20111206-ms

(I think the first one is the one I saw photos of, that I can't seem to find now, and the second is just the cursory search along the banks. Don't hold me to that though. I'll keep looking for that original link.)

Last Updated: December 07. 2011 1:02AM.

Dad says he's not responsible for Bianca's disappearance

George Hunter and Mike Martindale/ The Detroit News

Detroit— The father of 2-year-old Bianca Jones tearfully denied any involvement with his daughter's disappearance, insisting he is being painted by the police and media as "the bad guy."

During a press conference at a west side attorney's office Tuesday, D'Andre Lane cried while describing his anguish over his daughter's disappearance and the public perception that he had something to do with it...

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20111207...ible-for-Bianca’s-disappearance#ixzz1frAKMaHI

I can't remember if it was on Nancy Grace tonight or another news video, but I was very surprised to learn that Lane had already had Bianca for nearly a month when he supposedly went to get more clothes for her so she could stay another week with him.

He probly keeps the kids with him as much as he can. That way he can have an excuse not to pay his support because the kid(s) are with him. Not to mention I'm sure it helps him with the financial aid he is probly receiving to claim he is the primary care giver.

Heard about this for the first time on NG tonight.

I wanted to scream at the TV....the hogwash about them being there to find the baby but yet they couldn't give ANY details about how it happened. Were they stopped at a stop light? How were they able to approach the car? What did the "carjackers" say when they took the car? BS. All of it.

I haven't read up on this one, but I am certain the father was involved.

If she had been with the dad for a few weeks prior, do we know of a known last sighting other than what the father has said? She probably wasn't even with him while he was driving around. I sure hope they are able to find something on any surveillance cameras from the roads he traveled.

I believe I saw reported that the suspects got DL to pull over by telling him there was something wrong with his tail light.

One of the Detroit News articles mentioned that the Detroit River was also searched last Saturday. It had to have been a cursory search of the area adjacent to WCCC because there was no mention of dive teams. jmo

Unfortunately if he did put her in the water it could be along time before she is found. Not much activity on the lake these days :(

So far I have connected Four Baby mamas with four kids. three kids 2yrs and under, and the 7yr old.

From the pics I've seen I believe there is another male child older than 7yrs.

What kind of financial aid would a convicted felon receive for college?
I have a daughter in college and I know drug convictions and/or felonies would definitely affect her financial aid from the government. She has to fill out her FAFSA every year and those questions are asked.

What kind of financial aid would a convicted felon receive for college?
I have a daughter in college and I know drug convictions and/or felonies would definitely affect her financial aid from the government. She has to fill out her FAFSA every year and those questions are asked.

Good question. I'd love to know what type of assistance if any he is getting. But he is also living with one baby mama so the assistance could come by way of her?

The FASFA may have the question "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?" but that may not mean you would not be able to get any. I'm not sure on that.

Also, if the child is in his home for more than 6 nights according to FOC he is not obligated to pay support on that child for that time.

I agree with ya. He reminds me of someone else who spent many hours in front of a camera - Scott Peterson.

When Lane gets around to talking about B instead of himself, he doesn't focus on her for long. I was a bit taken aback when NG asked him where he thought B could be, or where people should look. Anywhere in America (words to that effect).

Really? Anywhere in America? Are we now dealing with international car-kid-jackers? Nah, not buying that for a second.

I hope he keeps talking. He's bound to slip up, or someone will find baby B (like Laci and Connor). My prayer is it's just a matter of time.

MOO

Mel

Agree. Anywhere in America? Ya, right, the carjackers just happened to have a plane next to the spot DL's car was found 6 blocks away and they needed the kid and a ride to get there......

I'd really like to know if LE can confirm DL had even already registered for college courses. If he had spoken to a guidance counselor and been honest about being a convicted felon, he'd know he could not gain employment as a teacher or social worker.

Investigators have reportedly searched Lane's home and confiscated objects for further study. Lane has indicated that his family and he have received several threats over the past few days, as a result of which he will not be returning home immediately.

"It's been told to me that it's in my best interest to just relax for a minute and kind of let things die down," he said, "If something was to happen where (Bianca) comes home tomorrow and someone does something to me tonight, what would be the tragedy then?"
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/262...es-missing-father-upset-investigation-lie.htm

Poor Dandre. It must be good for him to "relax" and "let things die down". We certainly wouldn't want a tragedy...

oh, wait a minute...

There already has been a tragedy...silly Dandre, always forgetting words like that, he must have meant another tragedy. I personally, cannot think of anything more tragic than my two year old being in the hands of violent carjackers with guns, including my own death or physical trauma, but hey, we all define tragedy differently, now don't we?

Have I mentioned that this guy makes me want to puke in my shoes?

I couldn't agree more. Relax, RELAX? D'Andre is talking about relaxing?

I better end there before I find myself with a TO.

Good question. I'd love to know what type of assistance if any he is getting. But he is also living with one baby mama so the assistance could come by way of her?

The FASFA may have the question "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?" but that may not mean you would not be able to get any. I'm not sure on that.

Also, if the child is in his home for more than 6 nights according to FOC he is not obligated to pay support on that child for that time.

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/aideligibility.jsp?tab=funding

"The Higher Education Act of 1965 as amended (HEA) suspends aid eligibility for students who have been convicted under federal or state law of the sale or possession of drugs, if the offense occurred during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving federal student aid (grants, loans, and/or work-study). If you have a conviction(s) for these offenses, call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) or click here to complete the "Student Aid Eligibility Worksheet" to find out how this law applies to you."

"If you have lost federal student aid eligibility due to a drug conviction, you can regain eligibility if you pass two unannounced drug tests conducted by a drug rehabilitation program that complies with criteria established by the U.S. Department of Education."

It also goes on to point out that even if you're no longer eligible for federal financial aid, you may still be eligible for state aid (depending on the state).

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/aideligibility.jsp?tab=funding

"The Higher Education Act of 1965 as amended (HEA) suspends aid eligibility for students who have been convicted under federal or state law of the sale or possession of drugs, if the offense occurred during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving federal student aid (grants, loans, and/or work-study). If you have a conviction(s) for these offenses, call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) or click here to complete the "Student Aid Eligibility Worksheet" to find out how this law applies to you."

"If you have lost federal student aid eligibility due to a drug conviction, you can regain eligibility if you pass two unannounced drug tests conducted by a drug rehabilitation program that complies with criteria established by the U.S. Department of Education."

It also goes on to point out that even if you're no longer eligible for federal financial aid, you may still be eligible for state aid (depending on the state).

so you only lose your aid if you are convicted while collecting aid.....interesting.
Chances are he qualified for special programs only offered to people with his background also. Which he probably won't have to pay back. So he probably was getting a free ride to college (with no loans) to get a degree in a field he would never get a job in.
Just wanted to add that when applying for financial aid for college, they take into account your "total cost of attendance" which not only includes tuition, but also housing and living expenses. So for an adult in college, if you can figure out the system right, you can turn college into a paying job.

If he has the kids with him, that's not an excuse not to pay support, that is providing support, MOO. I mean, yeah, I'm all for villifying the guy, but only for the reasons he deserves it. If he is taking the kids, and providing for him while they are there in his care and physical custody, that's supporting them during that period of time. I can't stand the guy, but even I see the problems he's facing. If he takes his kids, it's an excuse and a cop out, if he doesn't, he's a deadbeat.

so you only lose your aid if you are convicted while collecting aid.....interesting.
Chances are he qualified for special programs only offered to people with his background also. Which he probably won't have to pay back. So he probably was getting a free ride to college (with no loans) to get a degree in a field he would never get a job in.
Just wanted to add that when applying for financial aid for college, they take into account your "total cost of attendance" which not only includes tuition, but also housing and living expenses. So for an adult in college, if you can figure out the system right, you can turn college into a paying job.

As I sit here watching the news in regard to the citys finacial crisis it also occured to me there may be some sort of "convicted felon" rehabilitation programs he may be using. He may also have planned on State aid in the form of Food and Cash assistance.

The more dependants the better I guess. May add to the "cost of living" expense he may claim? Daycare etc.....

No necessarily. I'm in college, attending full time, with four full time dependents. My housing expenses are considered in my attendance costs, so I have a small overage that I get about every six months. Living expenses are not considered unless they are directly education related. And the thing that you lose for drug convictions, I believe, is your PELL, and that is the overage that most people receive, their PELL grant. I doubt he is making much, and I really doubt that he is even eligible for enough financial aid to cover everything. In MI, there are very few programs dedicated to the education of felons, and very little money available. You have to be an extremely promising individual, and that often does not apply to habitual offenders.

GRACE: Wayne County Community College. What are you studying, sir?

LANE: Education.

GRACE: And what is it that you would like to be?

LANE: It was a toss-up between a social worker and a teacher, but as I look at the state of education in my city, I think that there`s need for more black men to step up and become educators.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1112/06/ng.01.html

BBM. Education? Seriously, talk about an evasive broad sweeping single word general answer.

Everyone who attends college goes for "education".

Why do I find myself wondering if financial aid paperwork ever existed at the time of Bianca's disappearance?

It will be interesting to see if financial aid paperwork had actually been printed off Dads computer prior to Bianca's disappearance. I have strong suspicions they'll find it was printed after she disappeared, and likely after it was made public he was seen on survellience at the school.

I hope LE took that 'breif case' into custody.

JMO

If he has the kids with him, that's not an excuse not to pay support, that is providing support, MOO. I mean, yeah, I'm all for villifying the guy, but only for the reasons he deserves it. If he is taking the kids, and providing for him while they are there in his care and physical custody, that's supporting them during that period of time. I can't stand the guy, but even I see the problems he's facing. If he takes his kids, it's an excuse and a cop out, if he doesn't, he's a deadbeat.

Sorry I'm not trying to villify him. Just throwing some of the thoughts that have crossed my mind out there. I mean it has to get expensive in the way of support to have 7 kids by 7 different women, with 3-4 of them being under the age of 4yrs. Anything I have posted is pure speculation on my part.

I would like to know if he is or was employed any time since he was released from prison.

GRACE: Wayne County Community College. What are you studying, sir?

LANE: Education.

GRACE: And what is it that you would like to be?

LANE: It was a toss-up between a social worker and a teacher, but as I look at the state of education in my city, I think that there`s need for more black men to step up and become educators.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1112/06/ng.01.html

BBM. Education? Seriously, talk about an evasive broad sweeping single word general answer.

Everyone who attends college goes for "education".

Why do I find myself wondering if financial aid paperwork ever existed at the time of Bianca's disappearance?

It will be interesting to see if financial aid paperwork had actually been printed off Dads computer prior to Bianca's disappearance. I have strong suspicions they'll find it was printed after she disappeared, and likely after it was made public he was seen on survellience at the school.

I hope LE took that 'breif case' into custody.

JMO

Cubby, education is actually a major. ;D It's what teachers major in.

Cubby, education is actually a major. ;D It's what teachers major in.

I realize that, but that is not what he said until pressed further. He can answer with full sentences when defending himself and playing the victim, but when it comes to answering why he was attending school, he can only come up with a one word answer?

I can lose my financial aid for any drug possession, distribution or manufacture charge, whether I was collecting aid at the time or not, that occurred at any time since 1995. I don't think it's just if you are convicted while collecting, I think there are ways to be able to get it back if you are willing to jump through the hoops and were not collecting at the time of conviction. If you were collecting at the time of conviction, no chance. Otherwise slight chance of getting federal assistance, but not state. (I think. Bear in mind I only have to do this paperwork once a year, so in between those times, I'm not up on all the little rules.)

ETA: I reversed that, you have a chance of getting state and private loans after conviction, no chance of getting federal money.

I realize that, but that is not what he said until pressed further. He can answer with full sentences when defending himself and playing the victim, but when it comes to answering why he was attending school, he can only come up with a one word answer?

I could be wrong, but it looks to me like he just answered with what he's hoping to major in -

As in, what are you studying? Accounting. Engineering. Biomedical Science. Architecture. His answer is Education.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni