LI mom fired after donating kidney to her boss: suit

You may be right. But it's at least as possible that the boss/recipient felt uncomfortable being in the donor's debt and didn't want her around as a reminder. Resenting someone who helps us is also human nature.

Hmmm.. That's deep and very possible. I never looked at that angle. Plus if this boss is already insecure and a little paranoid, it would make sense she didn't want people thinking she was "catering" to the donor...

But COME ON LADY! She wasn't asking for a company car and a $100k raise!
According to the donor (yes, I know there are 2 sides..can't wait to hear the other) according to the donor she just wanted a little more time off because she wasn't feeling ready to come back.
A friend of mine gave a piece of his liver to his dad and he was well informed that the donor would have a worse time recuperating than the recipient...

To me it's just an example how people in this "ME" society take and take and take as long as its in THEIR best interest...
kinda stomach turning...

So the doctors agreed to allow Stevens to donate her left kidney to someone else in the transplant group so that Brucia could move up the waiting list and get her organ from someone else.

is this even legal? what about ethical from a medical standpoint? seems like pure barter to me... i think these transplant doctors need to be investigated...

and i agree, there has to be more to this story...

a couple of other things i'm confused about...

1) in the yahoo article linked below debbie stated she was in pain b/c the doctors hit a nerve in her leg... can someone tell me how this is even possible when one's kidney is no where near one's leg?

2) there is a definite contradiction about job security in debbie's statements if both statements were correctly written by the press (i realize errors can occur)... in the yahoo article below debbie stated

"I did not do it for job security. I didn't do it to get a raise. I did it because it's who I am."

http://gma.yahoo.com/n-y-mom-fired-donating-kidney-help-her-162333834--abc-news-health.html

yet she also stated

"I don't know what I'm going to do," she said. "I thought I would be at that job until I retired."

http://www.wlwt.com/r/30947927/detail.html

i suppose it's possible she assumed she'd have that job for life before the whole transplant situation arose but i would think she would've felt even more secure once the operations occurred...

i do agree that if she wasn't feeling well she should've been able to remain off work and recuperate... but wouldn't a doctor's note or disability claim have solved this? did she obtain either? if not, why not?

too many unanswered questions and grey areas for me to take either side right now... !

So the doctors agreed to allow Stevens to donate her left kidney to someone else in the transplant group so that Brucia could move up the waiting list and get her organ from someone else.

is this even legal? what about ethical from a medical standpoint? seems like pure barter to me... i think these transplant doctors need to be investigated...

and i agree, there has to be more to this story...

Living donation itself is a bit of an ethical quagmire in many ways. The reason that the medical community in Canada and the States have taken on donations such as unrelated donors, donor chains and exchanges is because thousands of people die waiting on these lists.

Until a few years ago, if you wanted to donate to your sister (for example) and you were found not to be a match, the process would stop there. Your sister would continue on dialysis until a match turned up or she would die - and dying is more likely.

So you're a willing, healthy donor who wants to save your sister and they've found that you match another recipient. You might want to save the other person, but wouldn't you want your sister to somehow be saved as well?

The truth is that yes, someone on the list that has less time than your sister might die as a result of your sister moving ahead of them based on the donation.

The other scenario is that you deny the donation, and both your sister and the patient who is more ill die waiting on the transplant list.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back