What Is the Defense Strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Casey Anthony is unique. She obviously is personality-disordered. This doesn't rise to the level of Axis I and is no excuse for the crime. The crime itself will take precedence over any of the excuses for her behavior afterward.

Bottom Line is she murdered her child. They cannot explain it and they should plea.

But they claim that KC is INNOCENT. There was no crime, as far as KC is concerned. She did nothing to harm Caylee. That is their bottom line...therefore no plea.

But they claim that KC is INNOCENT. There was no crime, as far as KC is concerned. She did nothing to harm Caylee. That is their bottom line...therefore no plea.

OMG! That is their Bottom Line? :floorlaugh:

I can hear the defense now. Someone (NOT KC) baked her brownies that were laced with Marijuana. KC fell asleep while little Caylee got up and went to the kitchen. (Remember CA said she wakes up and knows how to grab something to eat and put a video in?) So she wakes up and sees the brownies. Obviously eats so many and gets sick/overdoses (is that even possible?) etc...or maybe KC was the one with the brownies and falls asleep while Caylee ends up in the pool. In any event, KC wakes up to find Caylee not breathing. She flips out and is so scared of her mom that she takes Caylee and flees. The loss of her daughter and not being able to tell anyone causes some kind of psychiatric mental break. Blah..Blah.

In the end I think the DT is hoping she will be convicted on involuntary manslauter of child neglect. I think they have convinced KC that she will get a few years and by the time the case is decided will receive time served. I think that is why she is handling being locked up as well as she is, knowing that she will be able to walk out of the court room with a lesser charge.

I don't think the Jury will buy it. I think mental illness is hard to prove especially watching the videos and watching her in court. But then again, maybe that is why the defense is keeping her busy and why she is not showing emotion in court. Maybe that is part of the "mental illness" that she can't show emotion.

PTSD has symptoms but those symptoms also fall into many other catagories. Any Psych they put on trial will be countered w/another psych who disagrees. It is a Subjective Diagnosis.

You mentioned depos Painter..Were they board-certified Psychs? I have not followed the case; simply dropping in here.

I meant that the DT will 'cherry pick' comments from a variety of testimony ( friends, family, boyfriends) to underline behaviour in KC that coincides with the symptoms the Dr have stated,

No cause of death other than homicide.

She will say accident. MD's will explain the rest of the post-accident behavior away with PTSD.
Yes I put her in the trunk, Yes I kept her there, Yes I put duct tape and a heart sticker on her, Yes I put her in the woods.

How to prove it was homicide? Only way I know of is the Chloroform and hoping by watching the videos of jail visits and hearing her statements, the jury will see thru her BS.

Bottom Line = Casey murdered her child and disposed of her. Evidence screams this. Casey will take this all the way; that is her profile but it is such a waste of time and money.

How do you prove that someone does not have PTSD?

If the DT can make this fly, the jail tapes, KC's statements to LE, Dr Vass's tests, even the dogs will all be moot. The DT will deny none of it...they will let the Dr's explain it away.

I'm wondering if the SA can show there really wasn't much of a change in her behavior once Caylee was dead except that she no longer had to go back to the Anthony home to care for her child. Did her behavior change after the fact? I thought it was pretty much the same.....

This is not a trial for an accidental or negligent homicide. There will be no accident at the trial. She has had three years to claim an accident. She is on trial for 1st Degree Murder, no?

AFAIK, they can't go there now. The State will present their case. Defense must show it was an accident if that is what they are claiming. If they had proof of an accident, they should have saved Casey from life in prison three years ago.

Thanks for your summary upthread Paintr. So are you thinking it was watching Caylee die or seeing her dead will be the basis of the PSTD argument?

Cause the way you have explained it - it makes sense the defense would certainly try it.

I would guess they would describe the absolute horror of KC finding Caylee dead (through no fault of KC's, of course) Mr Mason did mention drowning to the medical examiner. Maybe that is the way they will go. :waitasec:

BTW is PTSD considered a 'mental illness'?

Thanks for your summary upthread Paintr. So are you thinking it was watching Caylee die or seeing her dead will be the basis of the PSTD argument?

Cause the way you have explained it - it makes sense the defense would certainly try it.

No, watching the 'accident' will not be the cause of the PTSD, imo.

I think they will say the 'horrible' emotional and sexual abuse in her childhood was the cause of the PTSD.

This is not a trial for an accidental or negligent homicide. There will be no accident at the trial. She has had three years to claim an accident. She is on trial for 1st Degree Murder, no?

AFAIK, they can't go there now. The State will present their case. Defense must show it was an accident if that is what they are claiming. If they had proof of an accident, they should have saved Casey from life in prison three years ago.

According to Anne F, the DT just found this out from the Dr's. Perhaps, KC, suffering from PTSD couldn't remember.

Tho KC is charged with 1st Degree Murder, that isn't necessarily what she will be convicted of. The jury could (and probabily will) find her NG of Murder One.

I think they will say the 'horrible' emotional and sexual abuse in her childhood was the cause of the PTSD.
And the 'accidental death' of Caylee threw her PTSD into full swing.

I would guess they would describe the absolute horror of KC finding Caylee dead (through no fault of KC's, of course) Mr Mason did mention drowning to the medical examiner. Maybe that is the way they will go. :waitasec:

BTW is PTSD considered a 'mental illness'?

I don't think so - yeah I'm pretty sure it isn't -didn't they say diminished capacity not whatever the other diagnosis was meaning you don't know right from wrong - my brain is fried - I should :eek:fftobed:

I stand corrected my apologies - Whisperer has given us the real info down thread.

Good point! That would certainly cover the bad behaviour both before and after Caylee's death.

I'm wondering if the SA can show there really wasn't much of a change in her behavior once Caylee was dead except that she no longer had to go back to the Anthony home to care for her child. Did her behavior change after the fact? I thought it was pretty much the same.....

No, but I bet they are going to say the abuse from her childhood was the source of the PTSD. So it wouldn't matter if she was that way before too.

PTSD is a mental illness and can be an Axis I. Takes a long time to diagnose since so many symptoms fit other categories. To my kge, it doesn't occur instantly but takes time to develop or recognize. It is subjective. IMO, it will not fly in this case. Are they now saying they are going to a Psychiatric Defense or is this simply a discussion for possibility?

According to Anne F, the DT just found this out from the Dr's. Perhaps, KC, suffering from PTSD couldn't remember.

Tho KC is charged with 1st Degree Murder, that isn't necessarily what she will be convicted of. The jury could (and probabily will) find her NG of Murder One.
I don't think they will claim she couldn't remember, I think the PTSD caused by her overbearing mother caused her too much fear to reveal that Caylee was dead, and died of an accident while on her watch. So 'ugly coping' ensued, she made up a kidnapping story.

And the 'accidental death' of Caylee threw her PTSD into full swing.

I don't think anyone of us believes this is an actual explanation so we will all go whew - that's a relief - open that door and let that girl go free - but it's pretty interesting to discuss some of the things the defense may try to use, particularly when some posters go to some length to present researched information, don't you? There is some great dialogue here - and I'm as strong a believer as you Pip, with similar reactions so it's interesting to watch your comments.

And I am again the master of the run-on sentence this evening I see.:loser:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member