British student murdered in Perugia, 3 suspects

Status
Not open for further replies.
I for one think that she did not get a fair trial, the evidence did not indicate her guilty of murder and a huge injustice has occurred. I guess living in America, I expect certain things to be followed for a trial, but that doesn't happen in Italy.

I think from the time the investigators said "case closed", she was screwed.

The Italians expect justice to served. I thought living in America you would expect the same.

And no it was Meredith who was screwed for having the misfortune to share a home with her :(

Wow, all I'm hearing on this thread since the verdict is "poor Amanda" and "how can we get her sentence shortened?" Uh, what about Meredith, you know, the victim of a horrible, slow murder?

I also wonder if pro-Amanda posters' opinions of her would be different if Meredith had been American too.

Amanda is guilty, so is her boyfriend. The Italian justice system works just fine. Everyone is saying it sucks because they're used to the American justice system. Of course you like what is familiar and what you are used to. But the American way is not the only way, and the Italian justice system has been working just fine, and for many more years than America has been in existence.

Justice for Meredith was served tonight. I'm pleased.

I just wanted to say thank you for this post and i totally agree ;)

Sorry I am late to this case and am confused about a few things.

1. Are there any links to the testimony of the person who has previously been charged and convicted as to what he says about Amanda and her b/f's involvement or can someone just catch me up on what he said.

2. Any info on Amanda's boss. He has been cleared but wondering what his take on Amanda was. Did he think she did it?

3. Do Meredith's parents think these two are guilty?

Thanks!!!!

Patrick Lumbaba ( the guy she tried to frame) sat behind Merediths sister as the results came in and as she sat weeping he put his hand on her shoulder.

Merediths family believe Knox and her ex bf are guilty yes and have made a statement saying the courts made the right decision

And what about the virulent anti-Semitism, mainly in Central Europe, that made it easy for Hitler to carry out his evil plan; and even when WWII ended, after 6 million or more people were slaughtered in concentration camps, the citizens of these countries still were killing the Jews who managed to survive, and making life difficult for them. From what I understand, this attitude still exists today (to some extent).

Like where exactly and in what way?

I also think that the reason why many people think she's innocent is because she may have not been the one who delivered the fatal blow to Meredith, therefore, if she did not actually murder Meredith then she can not possibly be guilty and also the DNA evidence that everyone claims is not there.

I am sorry but if she was there and involved..whether she did the fatal blow is irrelevant she would still be guilty because she was part of the attack on Meredith.

As I have said earlier, I am choosing to keep my reasons to myself as I do not wish to get into a war of words nor do I feel like being attacked. :) I haven't said she's not guilty of SOMETHING, I just don't think she's guilty of murder.

Greetings :) Well, that's what brings me here. I did not follow the case and plead ignorrance but I've seen some talking heads who seem respectable to me expressing concern and citing a lack of evidence or contaminated evidence, media bias, contaminated jury, social pressure for a guilty verdict, possibly. ANYWAYS...I know nothing yet, but I'm about to do a little reading on this thread...peace, all...:)

I have followed this case closely and agree with you and others who think Amanda got screwed. Actually screwed is not even the word for it…this is her life we are talking about. I have felt all along this would be the end result and yes, I am angry at her parents as well to let this go on all this time “thinking that there would be any other outcome.”

If it had been a Middle Eastern country rather than Italy – would people view it differently?

Ok i want to put a question to you now. I am English. I am using Neil Entwhistle as an example cause hes the only Brit i can think of in prison there at the moment. But after his trial how would you like it if the Brits said after the trial he only got found guilty because they hate us over there? Or that we thought the cops framed him? Or that we thought he had no chance of a fair trial? Or hey America isnt England so it cant be a fair trial?

I want to stress i have every confidence in the American courts and that i thought he was guilty but im just using that as an example.

I just think the crap the Italians are getting for daring to find Amanda guilty is crazy. And you know something..the local people..for which her co-accused was one...actually CHEERED the verdict and prosecutors. There not standing there making excuses at all. It's funny how it goes.

Oh and as for would it be viewed differently if it was in the middle East sure. She probably would have ended up the same way as Meredith as a sentence. Dead!

I wonder what the numbers were for the verdict. I mean, it's majority vote, so how many voted guilty, how many voted innocent.

I wish it had to be unanimous like it is here.

I have a feeling they all agreed from what was said on our tv.

I see so much focus in the pro-Amanda articles about the DNA on the knife and how Meredith's DNA was destroyed as a result of the testing, but to me that's the least convincing part of the case.

Her confession and her lies and the blame-casting and her behavior after the fact just isn't consistent with an innocent person. And while most of that is completely circumstansial, I can't reconcile all of it with her innocence. It's like "Yes, this is weak and this is weak and that's not a smoking gun and this could have been coerced" but there's enough in concert to make brushing all of it away seem almost denial-esque.

It's certainly a tough one, but after reading other boards I come away thinking that so many of Amanda's biggest supporters are basing their support not in the fact that they don't believe unequivocally in her innocence, but because they can't trust in Italy's objectivity. Which is fair, I guess, but it's making it this 'us v. them' thing that has nothing to do with the crime. I think this crime, committed in America and tried in America, would be widely seen as less confounding. I have to admit that any language barrier I see is my own. It's harder to follow when the proceedings are in another language and you don't trust the press. The U.S. press is really giving her such a soft ride.

I this is just irresponsible " I am saddened by the verdict and I have serious questions about the Italian justice system and whether anti-Americanism tainted this trial "

and about this

"Other flaws in the Italian justice system on display in this case included the harsh treatment of Ms. Knox following her arrest; negligent handling of evidence by investigators;

Again there is no proof that she was harshly treated. In fact there is no record of this as Amanda didnt put in a complaint or anything about this or have any photos taken to prove her claim"

And what about the virulent anti-Semitism, mainly in Central Europe, that made it easy for Hitler to carry out his evil plan; and even when WWII ended, after 6 million or more people were slaughtered in concentration camps, the citizens of these countries still were killing the Jews who managed to survive, and making life difficult for them. From what I understand, this attitude still exists today (to some extent).

Agreed, Columbo, totally & wholly. I was just thinking of very contemporary examples in relation to this trial & perceived prejudices. But you have demonstrated that though we have progressed some, we've still got a very long way to go as a species (Google BNP or La Front Nationale and you'll see what I mean. And we all know there are far too many more such diabolical groups in the world).

I see so much focus in the pro-Amanda articles about the DNA on the knife and how Meredith's DNA was destroyed as a result of the testing, but to me that's the least convincing part of the case.

Her confession and her lies and the blame-casting and her behavior after the fact just isn't consistent with an innocent person. And while most of that is completely circumstansial, I can't reconcile all of it with her innocence. It's like "Yes, this is weak and this is weak and that's not a smoking gun and this could have been coerced" but there's enough in concert to make brushing all of it away seem almost denial-esque.

It's certainly a tough one, but after reading other boards I come away thinking that so many of Amanda's biggest supporters are basing their support not in the fact that they don't believe unequivocally in her innocence, but because they can't trust in Italy's objectivity. Which is fair, I guess, but it's making it this 'us v. them' thing that has nothing to do with the crime. I think this crime, committed in America and tried in America, would be widely seen as less confounding. I have to admit that any language barrier I see is my own. It's harder to follow when the proceedings are in another language and you don't trust the press. The U.S. press is really giving her such a soft ride.

Good post :)

Is there a news source stating that that you can point me to?

I said that i have a feeling - not that i knew for sure. It was on a news programme earlier where a Italian guy ( maybe prosecutor i dont know) was saying that the jury had agreed..

I agree there is a difference in where you come from on whether you believe the verdict or not. It seems to me..that Americans..or some would rather put all the blame on a black guy from the Ivory Coast rather than accept a American girl could have been involved in this. And then because she is..then its like well Amandas not guilty its just the Italians are corrupt blah blah blah.

I completely disagree with this. I think we all know that cute, sweet AMERICAN girls can be evil. This isn't about blaming it on a "black guy from the Ivory Coast" at all. It is about the case and the evidence and the way the evidence was handled. Your comments really rubbed me the wrong way, but, just like me, you are entitled to your opinion.

I completely disagree with this. I think we all know that cute, sweet AMERICAN girls can be evil. This isn't about blaming it on a "black guy from the Ivory Coast" at all. It is about the case and the evidence and the way the evidence was handled. Your comments really rubbed me the wrong way, but, just like me, you are entitled to your opinion.

In all honesty im only basing my opinion on comments ive read on different forums. I didnt say that all Americans thought that way because i know for a fact many dont.

On a lighter note: the reporters continuously referred to Amanda as a blue-eyed blonde. She's a brunette!!! Or am I color-blind?!?

This is of absolutely no importance. Just something that annoyed me.

Carry on.

On a lighter note: the reporters continuously referred to Amanda as a blue-eyed blonde. She's a brunette!!! Or am I color-blind?!?

This is of absolutely no importance. Just something that annoyed me.

Carry on.

On some photos of her when she was in America her hair looked a lot lighter but in court she was definetly dark. Very dark even.

And the irony is that Europeans can be just as racist! I'm thinking of, oh, I don't know...Spanish football fans who black up & heckle Afro-Caribbean players on several occasions. I'm thinking of, oh, say Jean-Marie le Pen & his National Front or the British National Party (BNP). And let me not forget co-workers who use terms like 'Paki' or 'Chinky'...UGH!!!!! :furious:

I could go on, but you get the picture.

Just because there are no Jim Crow laws, etc, doesn't mean that racist and stereotypical behaviours aren't rampant, and that's true for any country. Europe isn't always the enlightened utopia it likes to make itself out to be. And I'm saying this as an American ex-pat living in the UK, btw.

However, having said that, I am not disagreeing with you. Just pointing out my personal observations over the past several years.

Just a couple of things i want to say about your post quickly. Yes the "Paki" word was used a lot 20 or so years ago. Until 8 years ago i lived in a city very populated with Asians. There was over 10 thousand apparently. I never once heard the word paki in all the time i lived there and in addition you can get taken to court for calling someone that.

Regarding the BNP that is just a small minority group in Britain that are total morons and should be banned. I think some of the problems we have here at the moment are causing unrest so more join them thinking they have a point. But really they dont :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie