IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't put much value into it. Boyfriend/girlfriend are usually POI until/unless ruled out, it's SOP.

Um, not really. I've seen BFs cleared up in a lot of other cases. Specifically Anna Li's. Also, LE said he didn't want to get in specifics about the boyfriend's whereabouts that night/morning. He wouldn't say if he saw Lauren or not.

Why not just clear him and say he wasn't, if he indeed, wasn't?

Watch the presser... he also ENDS the presser talking about the boyfriend.

I mean... not guilty... but rule him out? Why the heck would they want his DNA samples for?

How are they going to rule anyone out at this point using DNA? They don't have a body, they have nothing to compare this DNA to. They don't have a crime scene either because it does not appear she ever made it back to her apartment.
Either they are thinking ahead for when they do find a body, or are trying to see if somebody refuses to give a sample.

I know the area well.
The map is quite outdated. Maybe by 5 years.
There is no Catholic Charity at 10th and College that I'm aware of. There are some businesses on the main level of that apt. complex.
Now there are both apartment buildings, and apartment houses in the area.
I'm guessing that any video on College would probably have come from Carl Saltzman's Law Office. A tiny building on the corner of 10th & College, across from Waffle House, on the opposite side of the street she would have been on.

I'll see about taking pics of the area, as well as any video facing the alley before the evening is over.

Anyone have any other physical information requests for me before I go out in the heat and take more pics?

It was reported that a camera in the alley way caught footage of her and CR walking to his place. I was assuming this would be the alley way you pointed out. If you look at the link in my previous post, Google has it listed as Catholic Charities...so you are saying those are now apartments in that building.

My thinking is she went thru the alley with CR on the way to his place, but then took College St. home, however, so far there are no reports of cameras on college street that captured her.

How are they going to rule anyone out at this point using DNA? They don't have a body, they have nothing to compare this DNA to. They don't have a crime scene either because it does not appear she ever made it back to her apartment.
Either they are thinking ahead for when they do find a body, or are trying to see if somebody refuses to give a sample.

Maybe they do have something... blood? Hair? Clothing items? We don't really know what they have or don't have.

Um, not really. I've seen BFs cleared up in a lot of other cases. Specifically Anna Li's. Also, LE said he didn't want to get in specifics about the boyfriend's whereabouts that night/morning. He wouldn't say if he saw Lauren or not.

In the Yale student case, they had video cameras showing people in and out of the building, and her key car was used to enter a basement. In other case, they might not be able to rule someone out that quickly.

Maybe they do have something... blood? Hair? Clothing items? We don't really know what they have or don't have.

Very true. They did come out right away and say they suspected foul play. Something caused them to say that. I bet they found something. Fingernail with DNA, hair, blood...Anyone's guess I suppose.

ETA: They could also want it to see if anyone stops cooperating in the future, assuming they find her.

Not the only two possibilities ... They may have evidence which they have not disclosed.

If they had a lot of blood, I presume they wouldn't be saying they think she is still alive.

Rut-roh, I don't know what to make of all this. I know everyone is entitled to representation, but seems like a number of them are lawyering up pretty quickly. WHY?

Honestly, I think it would be foolish not to at this point. This girl is likely dead. Whether I was involved in a crime or not, if I was one of the last people to see her I would seek legal counsel.

I'd still cooperate, but I'd want an attorney all the same.

Not the only two possibilities ... They may have evidence which they have not disclosed.

They are asking people to voluntarily submit DNA at this point. If they had any evidence, they should have been able to get a search warrant, I presume.

There is a picture of Corey Rossman coming out of the police department after voluntarily supplying the DNA samples.

If he is innocent, man, poor guy. The guy gets hammered, punched on the face, blacks out, and wakes up in the middle of a possible homicide investigation with no recollection of the events of the past night. The Hangover III?

I have a weird theory. If he, indeed, does not remember what happened... what if he "hurt" her and don't remember it? How can he say he's not involved if he doesn't remember what happened?
If his roommate's story checks out, and Rossman was really at home, passed out when Lauren left his apartment, that would go a long way to clear him. By some reports, others beside the roommate saw her, too. Then there's Jay R who saw claims to have seen Lauren walking away from the apartment. That's not to say CR didn't get up and go looking for her, though. Right now, I don't feel like that's the case.

Regarding his DNA, when a person is hit hard in the face and certain areas of the head, there is generally bleeding through the nose and/or mouth. I wonder if blood was found on R's clothes or somewhere near the scene, and LE wants to ensure it is his blood. Just a thought.

Very true. They did come out right away and say they suspected foul play. Something caused them to say that. I bet they found something. Fingernail with DNA, hair, blood...Anyone's guess I suppose.

ETA: They could also want it to see if anyone stops cooperating in the future, assuming they find her.

She went missing in the very early hours of the morning, without her wallet, shoes or keys. What else are they going to suspect? Either some accident (but where is the body?) or foul play. She likely ain't going to run off somewhere in the middle of the night barefoot.

If they had a lot of blood, I presume they wouldn't be saying they think she is still alive.

I don't think they have a crime scene, or they probably would not say they hope to find her alive or that they believe she could be alive. I think the DNA requests are partly to see who will give it as well as possibly to test against any of her items that may have been found for "touch" DNA or prints, etc...

Not ruling out the boyfriend does not make him a suspect but it certainly causes one to wonder, as he did seem to stress that he was NOT ruled out.

It was reported that a camera in the alley way caught footage of her and CR walking to his place. I was assuming this would be the alley way you pointed out. If you look at the link in my previous post, Google has it listed as Catholic Charities...so you are saying those are now apartments in that building.

My thinking is she went thru the alley with CR on the way to his place, but then took College St. home, however, so far there are no reports of cameras on college street that captured her.

I saw a report that Carl had turned in his video to the police.

I just took a walk to 10th & College. His camera's don't point at the street. They point at his parking lot, on the other side of the street than she should have been.

I took pics of the apts. & businesses at 10th & College. I looked closely for cameras in them. There is one camera. Its on the outside of the businesses, not pointed at the street. I'll post pics momentarily.

I have not walked the alley looking for video yet. Give me time...

Apts. @ 10th & College. Looking from the Law Office of Carl Saltzman. Just out of site behind the guy is a security camera.
5edcwh.jpg

Security Camera at 10th & College.
20qx6gz.jpg

View of what the camera would see. Looking up toward the direction Lauren would be coming from.
2rc8ug3.jpg

10th & College apts and business looking down toward 10th & College. This is the (reported) direction Lauren would have been walking when last seen.
33wwshi.jpg

I hope LE can get these young people to tell all they know...I would hate to see another case like Phylicia Barnes, where LE feels that a number of young people have information as to who killed Phylicia but seem to be at a point that unless someone talks, we may never see an arrest. I am not saying that one of the POI's in Lauren's case is guilty of anything, but I hope no one holds back info in an effort to protect someone else, or thinking they are helping out a friend, or just to try to hide how drunk (and maybe more than drunk) everyone was.

With the POI's getting lawyers, I hope it does not shut down interviews.

Perhaps, because they are still verifying his alibi. Also, sometimes LE is reluctant to clear anyone in the beginning because it results in witnesses remaining quiet who might otherwise have contributed information.

If this is not a random abduction, which I don't think it is. What happened to Lauren?

Sexual assault that went wrong? An argument which escalated and she was hurt or a problem with her heart? Multiple people involved? I just don't have a good feel for what happened to her yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288