Robert Mayer

White Male
6' to 6'1"
200 lbs.
Hair - Brown
Eyes - Green
Currently unshaven

Nickname - Rob

Left hand, middle finger was slightly chopped off tip – has nail, but middle finger is shorter -
Clothing - Probably wearing blue or gray collared polo with J.C.Electrical logo,
jeans, Black work boots, possible baseball cap, ray ban sunglasses

No ID, no Wallet

Robert Mayer went to work June 14, 2013. He was seen at work with his car. He was last seen at a scrap metal yard around 2:15. His car – a 2004 red Pontiac GTO- was located the next day, Saturday, June 15 at 8:30 p.m. at the Deer Park Train Station, a few miles from the house. Roberts family states that he never takes the train as he drives to and from work. His car was found abandoned at Deer Park train station His family says that Robert has never stayed away from home.Robert does not have identification on him, as his wallet was found at home. He has not been seen or heard from. His case remains unsolved.

If any information Please contact

Suffolk County Police Department
631-697-6186

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5

Please continue here and remember the rules. You can find them right here: The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community AND don't overlook these!!!!

Victim Friendly

Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civl and constructive way and ONLY IF IT IS RELEVANT TO THE CASE. Additionally, sleuthing family members that are not suspect is not allowed. Don't make random accusations or post personal information (even if it is public) like parking tickets, address, or first and last names of all their relatives and their neighbors. Also, never "bash" or attack them, or accuse them of involvement. However that does not mean that family members cannot come into discussion as the facts and issues of the case are discussed.

Social Networks

Regarding Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and other social networking or blog websites: Links may be used to direct posters to view something on a social networking page. But postings on social networking sites are not considered fact; they are rumor. Copying and pasting, or taking screen caps, directly from these pages is not allowed. Paraphrasing is okay. (Exception: If the Twitter or Facebook post belongs to a verified news station, it may be copied. But a link should still be provided.)

Also, social networking pages may only be linked if they are directly related to a case, i.e. the victim or suspect. We don't want to post to someone's mother, brother, employer, milkman, or postal carrier just because they know the main player. We also NEVER link to minor's pages (unless they are the victim). And be sure that the page actually belongs to the person being discussed. Do not link to someone if you are not 100% sure it is the correct person. And if a social networking is set to private and you get in the back way, you may not post what you find. Private means private!

MINORS: Websleuths.com™ does not allow the naming of, or photographs of, minors (children under the age of 18) on the Site unless the child is a missing or deceased person or where law enforcement has identified the minor as a perpetrator of a crime and the minor will be tried as an adult. If a missing child is found and it is learned that such minor was the victim of child exploitation, references to the child’s name and likeness will be removed, and further posting of such information will not be allowed.

Thanks,

Cat

Continue here...

DO NOT DISCUSS THE FB PAGE "What really happened to...." on this thread! Further instructions about that to follow.

I don't have much of anything to add. I've been following along and teetering on the fence as to where RM may be or what might have happened. I find it odd / unusual that a man of his age + condition just vanishes into thin air, so at first I thought it was absolutely either foul play or suicide. While I keep on thinking, here's my :twocents: on a couple things...

the drawers thing bothers me....my garage doesn't have any drawers...shelves and cupboards, yes...

My garage has "tool chests" with a zillion drawers of various sizes in them, and other random items that have drawers in them. JMO

Great! Two new bits of info shared. RM didn't like to fly (Italy trip) and his car's trunk didn't lock, so that is why it was empty.

How does one have a trunk that does not lock? I'm :waitasec: ... if it latches, isn't it locked? If it doesn't lock, how does it latch? I'm sure RM wasn't driving around with his trunk flopping open all over the highway... I'm obviously missing something...

I don't have much of anything to add. I've been following along and teetering on the fence as to where RM may be or what might have happened. I find it odd / unusual that a man of his age + condition just vanishes into thin air, so at first I thought it was absolutely either foul play or suicide. While I keep on thinking, here's my :twocents: on a couple things...

My garage has "tool chests" with a zillion drawers of various sizes in them, and other random items that have drawers in them. JMO

How does one have a trunk that does not lock? I'm :waitasec: ... if it latches, isn't it locked? If it doesn't lock, how does it latch? I'm sure RM wasn't driving around with his trunk flopping open all over the highway... I'm obviously missing something...

My husband has lots of drawers in the garage. He has tool chests and a workbench with drawers. Lord help me if I ever have to find anything in one of them though.

I think he left his things where he always does when he comes home.

Then he got In his car and left! I do believe he took his bike with him. I do not think Robert is very far fro. Home.

I surely hope you are correct. I hope he is alive and well wherever he may be, but as time goes on, I get cynical. That $300 cash is key in my mind anyway. IF he was suicidal, JMO, then no cash would help him, but he could leave whatever he had for his children. IF he walked away williingly, NO WAY do I believe he would leave cash behind for any reason unless he had a winning lotto ticket in his pocket. IF there was foul play then the cash... who knows, but probably a red herring at best. of course this is my completely uninformed opinion only.

The cash and car almost seem planted to me. I just don't see leaving cash behind if you are starting a new life. And I don't see cutting your kids out of your life like that, if you want to leave your spouse. Who does that?

The mention of the $300 left and the cancellation fees was a huge BINGO for me. First off, I don't believe he'd get exactly $300 from scrap, since it's weighed and would probably come out to some random amount. $300 is such a precise amount (and I'd imagine you'd need a LOT of scrap to collect that much money). And I googled airline cancellation fees and when they're within 21 days of departure, for many airlines they are indeed $75 per ticket. $75 x 4 = $300 and a big middle finger... maybe.

I haven't posted in a while but wow- the amount of posts the past couple of days!

The new info leads me to think that RM left on his own. Leaving his cell, wallet/ID and cash behind, I doubt he was going out for a bike ride as he most likely would have still taken his phone. Especially if it is a company phone- don't you have to be accessible during the daytime hours? It would be helpful if his wife says if he regularly leaves those items in the garage, or the drawers where they were found. How soon after he disappeared did she find them? She may have answered these ?'s already, I don't really follow the FB site.

I do not think foul play was involved. I don't think as I originally did that it was suicide. Unless his wife knows of some depression history, etc. she shared with the police. Obviously it appears that LE still does not think foul play is involved either. Even if he did walk out on his kids, it still feels better that he is alive somewhere. Shocking though a guy described as such a good father/family guy would do this. But I guess my naive eyes are opening wider now and people don't always seem as they appear.

I am not sure what I can say on here about the 'background history' some mentioned. I looked into and well yeah, I know how others can think what they think. But we all make mistakes. I just hope and pray the family gets good closure very soon. We can't even imagine once minute of what it feels like to go through what they are going through. We sure haven't walked a mile in Ida's shoes.

I do not know if she hired a PI by now. Does anyone know? I would think that anyone with any money in the bank would do this by now to help get answers, as it seems none are coming from LE!

Do we have any verification that the amount of cash was $300? Who found it? Were there witnesses? Was LE there, etc.?

The $300 would cover 2 international tickets that were cancelled. When I used to cancel international tickets at work, it was either $150 each ticket or $175 a person. Was the $300 the amount he made from the scrap yard -- if they confirmed it?

The $300 would cover 2 international tickets that were cancelled. When I used to cancel international tickets at work, it was either $150 each ticket or $175 a person. Was the $300 the amount he made from the scrap yard -- if they confirmed it?

I don't think anything was confirmed other than that he made a "minimal" transaction. But not sure what their idea of minimal is. This amount just popped up recently and only from the FB as far as I know. JMO

Yeah, the thought occurred to me too (flopping around), but the year of the vehicle (2004) suggests to me it could have been an issue---possibly unreliable (won't always latch correctly--need to close it a few times to finally catch and lock, won't open or close with key fob, etc.). RM probably used his trunk often, because of his work and family. I'm not saying it is true that he had an issue with his trunk, but that I didn't find it unbelievable.

GTO trunk latch issues, key fob trunk opening problems:

trunk latch lock won\'t work pontiac gto site:[url]www.ls1gto.com - Google Search[/url]

I haven't posted in a while but wow- the amount of posts the past couple of days!

The new info leads me to think that RM left on his own. Leaving his cell, wallet/ID and cash behind, I doubt he was going out for a bike ride as he most likely would have still taken his phone. Especially if it is a company phone- don't you have to be accessible during the daytime hours? It would be helpful if his wife says if he regularly leaves those items in the garage, or the drawers where they were found. How soon after he disappeared did she find them? She may have answered these ?'s already, I don't really follow the FB site.

I do not think foul play was involved. I don't think as I originally did that it was suicide. Unless his wife knows of some depression history, etc. she shared with the police. Obviously it appears that LE still does not think foul play is involved either. Even if he did walk out on his kids, it still feels better that he is alive somewhere. Shocking though a guy described as such a good father/family guy would do this. But I guess my naive eyes are opening wider now and people don't always seem as they appear.

I am not sure what I can say on here about the 'background history' some mentioned. I looked into and well yeah, I know how others can think what they think. But we all make mistakes. I just hope and pray the family gets good closure very soon. We can't even imagine once minute of what it feels like to go through what they are going through. We sure haven't walked a mile in Ida's shoes.

I do not know if she hired a PI by now. Does anyone know? I would think that anyone with any money in the bank would do this by now to help get answers, as it seems none are coming from LE!

Supposedly, the cash and phone were found a week after he disappeared. The wallet was found the first day he disappeared. Could IM assumed he didn't stop at home, so she didn't think to search all the drawers earlier? Seems like she was aware he kept his wallet in the drawers since it was found the day he went missing.

I was searching the internet for videos and interviews and I came across this video from July 7th, and updated on the 8th of July. I don't know if it was posted previously, but having a refresher video is good too, if it was.
This video has an interview with IM, in addition to the reporter talking about friends and family that enlisted the Search and Rescue Organization and State Forest Rangers along with volunteers from the community to search the Edgewood Oak Brush Plains Preserve, which is 3 thousand acres.

http://fios1news.com/longisland/node/37375#.Uh_-FI7FW_U

The cash and car almost seem planted to me. I just don't see leaving cash behind if you are starting a new life. And I don't see cutting your kids out of your life like that, if you want to leave your spouse. Who does that?

I'm having a hard time with it too, but people do it. There was a case in Maine where a man disappeared while out shopping with his wife. He was found a decade later--living in PA, IIRC. LE located him, but he refused any contact with his family. He died about 5 years after that in Idaho or Iowa surrounded by his church family. The difference is that this man was much older. His children were adults (30s) when he disappeared. I don't think it is common though, especially if the person doesn't have any mental issues or big legal issues.

JMO

I got the $300 from the FAQ - found in a drawer in the garage. Of course, that might not count as official verification anymore...

I'm having a hard time with it too, but people do it. There was a case in Maine where a man disappeared while out shopping with his wife. He was found a decade later--living in PA, IIRC. LE located him, but he refused any contact with his family. He died about 5 years after that in Idaho or Iowa surrounded by his church family. The difference is that this man was much older. His children were adults (30s) when he disappeared. I don't think it is common though, especially if the person doesn't have any mental issues or big legal issues.

JMO

Those are still possibilities...cant discount anything without LE statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson