**Q&A ONLY** Ask the MODERATORS your Forum Questions **NO DISCUSSION**

Status
Not open for further replies.
perhaps not the correct place to post.
But I am having trouble locating the intimate partner homicide thread.
Has it been moved to a sub-form perhaps that I am not seeing?

It has been deleted. All of the threads that were in there were dispersed to their appropriate areas. Mr tTt, is there a certain case you need help locating?

I was just wondering -- what is the WS policy regarding rumor? Some threads seem to get mired in it, and I'm not faulting posters or mods here. But are posters permitted to introduce rumor for discussion, or not? I have often seen people preface comments with things like "This is rumor, but...", or say that they've read a rumor on topix, or that they've heard something through the gossip network -- and then they post what amounts to rumor. Does the TOS permit people to post rumor/gossip/hearsay?
Please forgive me if this is the wrong thread. For me, it matters -- one thing I love about WS is that there are some standards here regarding what counts as valid evidence for discussion.

I was just wondering -- what is the WS policy regarding rumor? Some threads seem to get mired in it, and I'm not faulting posters or mods here. But are posters permitted to introduce rumor for discussion, or not? I have often seen people preface comments with things like "This is rumor, but...", or say that they've read a rumor on topix, or that they've heard something through the gossip network -- and then they post what amounts to rumor. Does the TOS permit people to post rumor/gossip/hearsay?
Please forgive me if this is the wrong thread. For me, it matters -- one thing I love about WS is that there are some standards here regarding what counts as valid evidence for discussion.

This is not a cut and dry question. If there was a bank robbery and they said their friend the teller had a gun stuck to her head and that wasn't in the MSM, I would let that fly. If they said their friend the teller said the robber said he had murdered Jon Benet, I would remove it immediately.

In other words, it depends on how much it can hurt the family or the investigation. Oftentimes we've seen missing cases where rumors fly that the victims have been found. Kyron Horman's case even had the media make such a report one evening and it spread like wild fire. Rumors like that can crush a family. Websleuths has a huge reader base and we want to do what we can to keep things from mushrooming into lies.

It's a tough balance though. Moderators don't read every post and sometimes by the time a rumor is discovered by the Mod Squad, it is all over the place. It's hard to put the toothpaste back into the tube, as Tricia would say.

And there you have it, as clear as mud. :eek:

Just don't post rumors. That's the bottom line! :tyou:

This is not a cut and dry question. If there was a bank robbery and they said their friend the teller had a gun stuck to her head and that wasn't in the MSM, I would let that fly.

respectfully snipped!

But if someone was going to share insider information of the sort you mention, wouldn't s/he need to be verified first? I guess I should have said earlier that I wasn't talking about information from verified posters. If the poster is not verified, and provides insider information as in your example above, why should anyone trust it, other than that it is posted on WS, a moderated forum?

respectfully snipped!

But if someone was going to share insider information of the sort you mention, wouldn't s/he need to be verified first? I guess I should have said earlier that I wasn't talking about information from verified posters. If the poster is not verified, and provides insider information as in your example above, why should anyone trust it, other than that it is posted on WS, a moderated forum?

We do ask that people get verified to disclose anything that is not released in the MSM. Even then, we cannot guarantee the information is accurate. Same with the MSM, too. We do what we can to get accurate information out there but nothing is guaranteed to be fact.

Could someone please point me to info on verified status? I remember seeing that one can submit for verified status but I can no longer find the info anywhere. I want to re-read it and see who/what qualifies for verified status.
Thank you for your help.
Thespyma

Who do I need to contact to get one of my posts deleted? It is too late for me to edit or delete it myself.

Is there someone I could PM with a new story? I am too new to post on the unidentified forum but wonder if someone would be kind enough to pop it on there for me?

Is there someone I could PM with a new story? I am too new to post on the unidentified forum but wonder if someone would be kind enough to pop it on there for me?

Amber - you can PM it to me and I'll start a new thread for you. Welcome to WS!

Hi mods. I've seen references to ad-free subscriptions to this forum, and wonder if that is an option for registered members. I have a slow Internet connection and would gladly pay a subscription fee for an ad-free Websleuths experience. Thank you!

New forums and sub-forums have popped up recently, but these are not yet reflected in the "Edit Options" list where one can opt out of seeing one or more of them. Could they be added?

Hi :)

Newbie with a question.

I was trying to search and see if there is a thread about Kimberly Ann Amero, who went missing in 1985. I wasn't able to find anything in a search (of this site) but also am not able to start a thread in that section either.

Can anyone tell me if there is a thread about her?

And if not, could there be one started?

Here is a link to the FB page. Her family has been quite active/vocal on it in the past couple years. http://www.facebook.com/groups/123921169834/members/

Hi :)

Newbie with a question.

I was trying to search and see if there is a thread about Kimberly Ann Amero, who went missing in 1985. I wasn't able to find anything in a search (of this site) but also am not able to start a thread in that section either.

Can anyone tell me if there is a thread about her?

And if not, could there be one started?

Here is a link to the FB page. Her family has been quite active/vocal on it in the past couple years. http://www.facebook.com/groups/123921169834/members/

Hi airplanelamp :)

Welcome to Websleuths! I didn't see a link for her either. I don't think you can start threads until you have a certain amount of posts but if you would like for me to start one on her I can do that.

If you can send me the info, links etc. you have on her through a pm and I start it up for her.

Thank you!

Ima

I am new and trying to do a search and access today's posts but it's popping up that I'm not allowed access. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Thanks!

Posters need to be established for awhile before the search engine will function. What are you searching for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53