Canada - Robert White for building dungeon in kidnap plot, Pickering, Ont, 2011

Glad this guy was caught in time. His wife did the right thing by leaving. JMO

Yikes! I hope she runs far away and receives protection from him (hope they don't let him out anytime soon).
I think he wanted to keep her there.

IIRC he is a self employed contractor

I'm not sure if this have been made public yet or if it's true. His skills tend to support that. A commenter on a news site claimed to be his daughter and wrote that he was a contractor.

Yep think that ex wife must be VERY relieved. Think she was his intended victim. How scary for her knowing this.

The CBC is reporting that Robert White has withdrawn his appeal for bail.

I was thinking about " confinement rooms" when I remembered this coldcase from Montreal. Sharon Prior age 16, was abducted near her home and held captive for days before her brutalized body was found in a rural area.
Since this happened in March 1975,I would not be surprised if the perp moved...
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39937"]Sharron Prior Murdered/1975 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Thanks SillyBilly, I got excited hoping for a connection, as I am still hoping that the Sharon Prior case is looked at again.I mean this sweet girl was held for 4 days before being dumped and she was still alive before her brutally beaten body was found 20 hours later.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/02/29/toronto-confinement-room.html

In a separate matter, CBC News has obtained court documents that say White's wife of 10 months left him the day police arrived at their Oshawa home with a search warrant. She filed for divorce a few days later on Jan. 30.

In her application she said she began experiencing "emotional and verbal abuse" last summer. The document also mentioned that she moved to a shelter for fear her husband might hurt her or her daughter.

My guess he was going to kidnap either his wife or the step=-daughter. good god, how horrible. :(

If she "left him" the day police arrived it seems she had returned to live with him after she had been in a shelter. Why would he kidnap someone he was already living with (unless she had threatened to leave again)???

IMO, the publication ban on who he planned to kidnap is curious.

OSHAWA -- A man accused of attempted kidnapping after a confinement room was found in a north Pickering house remains behind bars.
Robert Edwin White, 44, was remanded Monday morning following a brief court appearance by video link.

He's to appear in court, again by video link, on Monday, March 19.

Mr. White has also been charged with break and enter with intent to commit an indictable offence.

http://www.durhamregion.com/news/cr...-in-pickering-dungeon-case-remains-in-custody

"Adult known to the accused" rules out the wife's pre-teen daughter. Maybe the publication ban is in place solely to protect the identity of the young girl.

The couple had married only 10 months prior to his arrest, so in that short time the wife had been in a shelter and returned to him.

Intended prisoner ‘haunted’ by thoughts of Pickering farmhouse dungeon

According to an agreed statement of facts, White built the dungeon in order to confine Armstrong, who took in his ex-wife Patricia Gallagher after the couple’s separation.

In her statement, Armstrong said she only learned last week that the meticulously-planned dungeon, with its steel chains and multiple locks, was intended for her all along.

“Like everyone else, I had seen the photos splashed across the newspapers and Internet (but) I didn’t fully learn of their significance to me until last Wednesday,” she said.

“Since then, those same photos have been running through my mind constantly,” she continued. “They fill me with such horror that I feel physically ill.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/art...ed-by-thoughts-of-pickering-farmhouse-dungeon

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back