2010.06.01 - Casey Suffers Fall at Courthouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, Kimster. I didn't mean to be snarky. I think I would have been mad if I was her - even if it was at myself. I sure get mad at myself when I fall down (a lot :p)

I was talking about the other thread about her fall, not what you posted here! :blowkiss:

So would she be able to sue over this? Will she get cosmetic surgery for the tooth? Just wondered if anyone knew the protocol for this stuff. I could definitely see the defense using this as an angle somehow, yet they've been quiet so far.

My question about the courthouse elevator video is :

Is there only one video camera that caught footage of Casey falling? The reason that I ask is that the overhead camera view does not show the very back of the elevator where Casey's head would be once she fell. For security reasons wouldn't there be more than one camera so that the whole elevator space was under surveillance?

So would she be able to sue over this? Will she get cosmetic surgery for the tooth? Just wondered if anyone knew the protocol for this stuff. I could definitely see the defense using this as an angle somehow, yet they've been quiet so far.

not an atty but....why???? where would the money go 'cept to lawyers pockets....she is indigent and I would suspect that any monies gained would go towards her defefense.....may be wrong but I would consider that an asset---also would go towards the civil case as well--I would think?????

After reviewing the video - it appears that the lock that holds the ankle chains together got caught in the crevice between the elevator and the threshhold of the floor. I think the jail needs to change the size of the lock somehow (maybe place it in a larger plastic or rubber case) so this doesn't happen again. Given the jail frequently transports inmates to the courthouse - utilizing the same elevators, it would behoove them to ensure others won't have to endure this risk. Pretty fluke thing - but I bet it was painful around her ankles and then the impact itself. . . . . (ouch!)

Will she be able to get the tooth fixed? Or is she just stuck with the chipped tooth for the rest of her life?

not an atty but....why???? where would the money go 'cept to lawyers pockets....she is indigent and I would suspect that any monies gained would go towards her defefense.....may be wrong but I would consider that an asset---also would go towards the civil case as well--I would think?????

I guess since she is "indigent" now it wouldn't help her much to sue. Just seems like a Jose Baez thing to do.

Darn - bad link. Anyone find a good link to her statement?

:waitasec:
After reviewing the video - it appears that the lock that holds the ankle chains together got caught in the crevice between the elevator and the threshhold of the floor. I think the jail needs to change the size of the lock somehow (maybe place it in a larger plastic or rubber case) so this doesn't happen again. Given the jail frequently transports inmates to the courthouse - utilizing the same elevators, it would behoove them to ensure others won't have to endure this risk. Pretty fluke thing - but I bet it was painful around her ankles and then the impact itself. . . . . (ouch!)
Not only for ICA and other inmates but for the county employees as well. Think of those wearing 4-5" heels ...... or any other heel but flat ones.

After seeing the video and reading the report, I can see how this accident could have happened. It is very unusual, tho, that the chain would get caught that way.

JMO

At the end of that document (first link) there is a list of other articles, including a link to Camera Captures Casey Anthony's Fall (the link posted in the post that started this thread did not work for me).

Link to article: http://www.wesh.com/news/23768438/detail.html

And within that article, a link to the video.

http://www.wesh.com/video/23770510/index.html

KCshackledatwaist.jpg

IMO even if the guard(s) had their hands holding Inmate Anthony's arm, or a grip on the prisoner's waist chains ... this accident would have still happened. It could not have been prevented. Maybe the prisoner AND the guard would have fallen to the floor together.

BBM It certainly could never compare to the "OUCH" she put little Caylee through though!

It was a bad and unfortunate thing that happened. The grate between the elevator and floor should probably be checked out. It looks like, to me, that only one person at a time could fit though that elevator door at a time. . . not one prisoner and a guard on either side of the prisoner. Probably not even one prisoner and one guard could exit at the same time. A guard holding her from behind (at her waist with both hands) could have probably prevented her from falling but how practical is that?
It was just a bad thing.
To me, the practical solution would be to make sure that you never, ever put yourself in a position that you have to wear shackles when you are required to make any court appearance ~ whether it has an elevator with a bad grate or not. (And if you decide to wear stylish high heels ~ do so only at your own risk!) I hate it when I'm this cynical but it just seems so obvious to me.

I don't think it's a freak thing that happened at all. It probably happens more often than you think, we just don't hear about it.

It's not exactly the same thing, but I've gone through a gajillion wallet chains because when I sit down it will get stuck in any crevice around.

When I first started working at Delta, I had to start from the bottom throwing bags. I sat inside a bag cart and my chain got so stuck that aircraft mechanics had to cut part of the chain and the actual bag cart to get me out lol.

In conclusion, chains are evil and get stuck in ANYTHING. Just sayin..

I watched that video several times, and it's just freakish how it happened. There was no way the guards could foresee it or stop it. It happened so fast. I almost felt a twinge of sorrow for her, but then I thought of Caylee and that went away. So it was freakish, but she'll survive. Is it bad that I hope she eventually has to have a root canal?

Btw, I also read her "report" of what happened. I was surprised she wasn't more accusatory of the guards. She also sounded snobby, calling it an "incident" instead of an accident. I wondered if that was a hint that she somehow was blaming the guards anyway. Sheesh. Is that another Anthony rule that accidents don't happen to them unless they say it's an accident? And her handwriting looked so middle school. I really think she got stuck there and hasn't matured past that stage.

I just hope her defense team or her parents don't decide to sue and make this yet another circus...sheesh, it'd be four rings between the civil suit, the felony convictions, and the murder trial. Cause this circus needs one more ring. Lord help us if they go down that road...

Respectfully snipped:

I just hope her defense team or her parents don't decide to sue and make this yet another circus...sheesh, it'd be four rings between the civil suit, the felony convictions, and the murder trial. Cause this circus needs one more ring. Lord help us if they go down that road...

BBM

I don't believe her parents have a legal standing to sue since KC is of legal adult age. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean they won't try.....:(

It was a bad and unfortunate thing that happened. The grate between the elevator and floor should probably be checked out. It looks like, to me, that only one person at a time could fit though that elevator door at a time. . . not one prisoner and a guard on either side of the prisoner. Probably not even one prisoner and one guard could exit at the same time. A guard holding her from behind (at her waist with both hands) could have probably prevented her from falling but how practical is that?
It was just a bad thing.
To me, the practical solution would be to make sure that you never, ever put yourself in a position that you have to wear shackles when you are required to make any court appearance ~ whether it has an elevator with a bad grate or not. (And if you decide to wear stylish high heels ~ do so only at your own risk!) I hate it when I'm this cynical but it just seems so obvious to me.

I agree, it looked like only one person could fit through the elevator at the same time. Unless they upgrade the cameras to get a clear shot from all angles, a guard could get accused of inappropriately touching her. Whatever they do for Casey, they have to do for everyone, including a 250 lb man accused of first degree murder with an extremely violent past (as an example). I don't think he would like a guard holding him from behind getting off an elevator.

I don't mean to sound sarcastic but I think the jails should offer a wheelchair to anyone who requests one during transport to another building.

I would love to know some statistics... like how many people shackled like Casey go through those elevators every year and the rate of accidents (if any).

Sometimes you just live and learn. I got a heal stuck in an elevator. I didn't fall but it ruined the leather on my heal. I always step over the grate now whatever I'm wearing. The elevators don't always land perfectly level with the floor either. I'm still not sure if Casey simply tripped then the chains fell in the crack or the chains got stuck causing her to fall. The video isn't clear enough to determine one way or the other.

IMO

Good thing it wasn`t an escalator she got caught on. Seriously.
This was a lot like watching the video of SP banging his head on the police car as they take him to San Quentin. :)
I liked it. Not proud that I do or that a fellow human suffered but in a chock one up for Caylees team kind of way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine