GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
bessie-is the fact that it is felony murder and not something else significant? Does it indicate what they think happened?

The only thing this indicates is that so far, they don't have evidence of premeditation.

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/138384/175/Stephen-McDaniel-Charged-With-Murder

Tuesday morning, Giddings' father told 13WMAZ that investigators were leaning toward McDaniel as a suspect and that police had no other persons of interest in the case, despite their statements to the contrary

SO IT SEEMS SOME DO MAKE IT UP AS THEY GO OR CHANGE THE RULES A BIT, reasons I'm sure........how do we feel about being mislead, (or did we really believe it anyway)

Authorities have said McDaniel first came to their attention through television interviews he gave on the day Giddings' body was found.

As mentioned earlier..............reasons 1 body found on premises, 2 Master key and 3, the VIDEO

Well......... sad for all, my prayers are really with both families.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. How was Mr. Giddings' statement misleading? I took it as a pretty good indicator charges would be coming, and they did.

The only thing this indicates is that so far, they don't have evidence of premeditation.
There you are! Thank you.

ETA: While Colonel Mustard is here, are there any other legal questions?

Question for Colonel Mustard: What will the next step be in the legal process? Will a grand jury hear the case?

Glad to see you here tonight.

If the media requests the arrest warrant will they release it?

Can't find the video posted online yet, but in 13WMAZ's 11PM newscast, they had spoken to Bill Giddings. Sounds like he found out just before the warrant info was available online.

He told them that they were shocked but hoped that now, maybe McD will help them get the rest of her (which is horribly sad to hear him word it that way - I just can't imagine.

The link was already posted upstream that had some of the info:

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/138384/175/Stephen-McDaniel-Charged-With-Murder

Originally Posted by Hyrax[/B] View Post
They were not close friends, but they were regularly in contact. He also became VP of fedsoc when Lauren was the president, which required them to interact regularly for club duties. It also appears that she was at least an occasional topic of conversation for him with his mother.

Nothing concrete, obviously, but there is enough room there for the speculation that he was fixated on her to be plausible. Also McDaniel wasn't some "loner" or shut in with no friends, he has friends from law school.

Sandstorm post reply:
Thanks for your post.
Your comments are appreciated, especially, due to the fact, that you are the only post I have read from someone who knew McD to say yea or nay about him.
Personally, I find that unusual.
I would hope that if I were in McD's shoes that my friends would chime in with a good word for me. __________________

I don't see where that poster says he/she knows SM.

You are correct, southern_comfort.
Hyrax does not state he knows McD.
However, from the observations Hyrax posted it is clearly understood that Hyrax does know McD a lot more that anyone else who has posted here on WS.

Thanks to Hyrax's observations, mine and your usual inquiries, speculations, and hypothetical scenarios regarding the following points are no longer necessary:

1.Lauren and McD were not close friends
2 McD and Lauren were regularly in contact through club activities
3 McD was not a loner
4.McDhad friends from Law School
5.McD was not shut in with no friends
6.There is room for the speculation that McD was fixated on Lauren

Burns has said police have received results from some of the evidence, but the department hasn’t divulged information about the findings.

He did say that items from the apartment complex’s laundry room, as well as clothing, carpet samples and trace evidence are among the pieces of evidence being analyzed.

Interesting article. It also contains 2 other pieces of info I haven't seen before:

The FBI has been involved in the case because the agency has a special team that’s dispatched when something happens near a college campus, Burns said.

Burns said Tuesday that McDaniel hasn’t said much to investigators, but he volunteered information about condoms allegedly stolen from other apartments during early police questioning.

Felony murder is still a capital crime, in Georgia. So they get the fullest possible punishment, but without the little hiccup of having to prove this was premeditated.

Ugh. I know that intent was going to be hard to prove here all along, but it feels like a cop out. They have not added any additional charges beyond the original burglary charges; I am assuming that the felony murder is for a murder committed in the commission of a burglary, not a rape, which would also be a harder intent to prove.

Proving an intent to commit burglary for McD will not be hard, given previous events.

I wonder if the DA is going for the "thieving almost-lawyer caught in the act" scenario. Stephen was using his key to go through Lauren's apartment to try and steal more trophies/condoms, when Lauren got home and interrupted him. Realizing that his legal career is DOA with a burglary charge, he kills her to keep her from speaking.

I don't believe it for a second, but that would be a pretty reasonable scenario to try and prove.

Colonel Mustard, how do the online Bar reviews work? Could McD claim that he was going into Lauren's apartment studying her on line tutorials and she caught him?

Hyrax!! I totally Agree!! What they believe happened and for what motives is one thing.. It's all about what they know that they can prove in a court of law!!

I agree with feelings it's a cop out.. But I'd rather him go down this way(even tho most know it was more).. Instead of get off like CA because they can't prove it in a court of law..

Hyrax!! I totally Agree!! What they believe happened and for what motives is one thing.. It's all about what they know that they can prove in a court of law!!

I agree with feelings it's a cop out.. But I'd rather him go down this way(even tho most know it was more).. Instead of get off like CA because they can't prove it in a court of law..

I agree too. I don't think it was a burglary. Wouldn't SMD have been caught off-guard if she walked in on him in her apartment when he didn't expect her to be home? It's been mentioned several times before how she was a strong, tall woman and he is not that big. I don't see him overtaking her in that situation. If anything he was probably inside the apartment waiting on her to come in.

Burns has said police have received results from some of the evidence, but the department hasn’t divulged information about the findings.

He did say that items from the apartment complex’s laundry room, as well as clothing, carpet samples and trace evidence are among the pieces of evidence being analyzed.

Interesting article. It also contains 2 other pieces of info I haven't seen before:

The FBI has been involved in the case because the agency has a special team that’s dispatched when something happens near a college campus, Burns said.

Burns said Tuesday that McDaniel hasn’t said much to investigators, but he volunteered information about condoms allegedly stolen from other apartments during early police questioning.

This is also the first I've seen it confirmed they searched the Twiggs County Landfill.
The search comes weeks after authorities hunted for disposed-of body parts at both the Macon and Twiggs County landfills.

I agree too. I don't think it was a burglary. Wouldn't SMD have been caught off-guard if she walked in on him in her apartment when he didn't expect her to be home? It's been mentioned several times before how she was a strong, tall woman and he is not that big. I don't see him overtaking her in that situation. If anything he was probably inside the apartment waiting on her to come in.

One of the items they sent to the lab was a rape kit, SOP in cases like this. I wondered if they found his DNA on one of the swabs, but then discarded that idea. LE would have filed charges more quickly if that were the case?

Felony murder is still a capital crime, in Georgia. So they get the fullest possible punishment, but without the little hiccup of having to prove this was premeditated.

Ugh. I know that intent was going to be hard to prove here all along, but it feels like a cop out. They have not added any additional charges beyond the original burglary charges; I am assuming that the felony murder is for a murder committed in the commission of a burglary, not a rape, which would also be a harder intent to prove.

Proving an intent to commit burglary for McD will not be hard, given previous events.

I wonder if the DA is going for the "thieving almost-lawyer caught in the act" scenario. Stephen was using his key to go through Lauren's apartment to try and steal more trophies/condoms, when Lauren got home and interrupted him. Realizing that his legal career is DOA with a burglary charge, he kills her to keep her from speaking.

I don't believe it for a second, but that would be a pretty reasonable scenario to try and prove.

Wondering Hyrax: Can Winters add additional charges or even change the original complaint if additional evidence come to fruition? I kind of think this was rushed to get ahead of the bond hearing that was coming up on Thursday?

I know very little about criminal law.

I think had he just toted her off and dumped the body or burned it, buried it, sank it...
or even just partially dismembered, say the legs or something, then that story is believable.
With total dismemberment (and I'm afraid even more info may be coming), it should be easy
to establish there was some sort of emotional aspect to this (hatred, possession, etc).
Not sure exactly how they'll lay out the scenario, but to take it that far doesn't make sense otherwise.

And, I can't remember if I've stated this before, but I think it's possible he may have her head
somewhere. Now that they've charged him, I think they need to start searching any properties
belonging to any family members.

I'd like to know whats the procedure for how the charges were brought down on Stephen.. Meaning once they had the warrant for felony murder charges how was this served on Stephen in the infirmary ward of the jail?

Who would be the one to do this? Lead investigator? Would they go in and just read to SM the new charge and then leave? Is he handcuffed and taken in and mirandized asking if he wants to make a statement? Of course which we know at that time he would ask for his ATTY.. So does anyone know how this procedure went down I am interested to know..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie